Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

Just wanna say your house looks absolutely primed for your high school-aged son to have an American Pie-style beer party while you're out of town

Daughters. One in college already. There is a full bar inside those sliding glass doors with a couple kegs on tap.

So yeah, this house is always ready for a party. That's pretty much what the entire first floor is set up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I now have a legit grass patch, it'd be a stretch to call it a yard but it currently has real, soft grass, about 500 square feet. And it needs to be cut. And I need a tool to cut it. I'll also need a string trimmer, hedge trimmer and leaf blower for other yard related activities, I'm considering going in on a battery powered system.

I've got a set of DeWalt hand tools that I like that run on 20v batteries so I was initially thinking I could get lawn tools using that system. But it looks like most lawn mowers need 40-60v so it might be a new set of batteries anyway. DeWalt does make a lawn mower using 2x20v batteries but it doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as some of the other brands. My old neighbor was talking up how much he likes his EGO tools and the multihead hand tool looks pretty nice.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Home Depot card sucks but you should definitely grab it for that initial coupon when you've got a big purchase to make. They also send you similar offers (20% off $300, etc) via snail mail once you've got the card.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

Daughters. One in college already. There is a full bar inside those sliding glass doors with a couple kegs on tap.

So yeah, this house is always ready for a party. That's pretty much what the entire first floor is set up for.

IIRC you're the one who posted this:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/211340/KIT-10064.html#detail-tabs

Are those the patio lights in the pic? I've had this tab open forever... I know I got it from someone here, but I can't remember who.

If not, do you have a link to what's in your pic? Trying to find something bright enough to light up a 12x14 deck without having like 4 strings packed really densely. Not like "work light" bright, but bright enough to grill by but not too bright to be annoying. On paper the link above isn't very bright, but your picture implies that they throw a good amount of light (as long as it's not some super long exposure).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 6, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tyro posted:

What did you get? I'm eyeballing the Weber E-330.

The general trend with grills seems to if you buy the cheap next grill or whatever it’ll die in a couple years.

The Weber’s can last basically forever if you take care of them. And parts are very easy to come by. I bought from my PO a nice 8 year old Weber spirit and it’s fantastic after I put some elbow grease into it.

FWIW, wire cutter recommends the e-310 and they do pretty good review content.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-gas-grill/

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah my in-laws have the Genesis II s-335 I think? I've grilled on it a lot and enjoy it. Wouldn't pay for the Bluetooth thermometers though. Seem kind of flaky.

I'd like the side burner but I'll give the 310 a look too if I can find one somewhere.

Ace had a nice dark blue finish E-315 I hadn't seen elsewhere. But they didn't have any unassembled, and I couldn't fit an assembled one in my car so no sale...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

IIRC you're the one who posted this:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/211340/KIT-10064.html#detail-tabs

Are those the patio lights in the pic? I've had this tab open forever... I know I got it from someone here, but I can't remember who.

If not, do you have a link to what's in your pic? Trying to find something bright enough to light up a 12x14 deck without having like 4 strings packed really densely. Not like "work light" bright, but bright enough to grill by but not too bright to be annoying. On paper the link above isn't very bright, but your picture implies that they throw a good amount of light (as long as it's not some super long exposure).

I think that was one of the things I was looking at. But the actual string and bulbs in that pic are this:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/products/153441

https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/products/219430

I think there was an availability issue when I ordered, because i remember them calling me to see what I'd take as a substitute or if I wanted to wait.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I bought cheapo gas lawn mower + string trimmer + leaf blower when I moved in 2 years ago, and if I could go back I’d buy electric instead. I feel like a jerk when I’m cranking up the motors in the morning/evening, but not bad enough to do the work in the heat of the day.

I’ve also done extremely limited maintenance on said motors, so I need to either learn some small engine maintenance skills or start saving for electric stuff in the near future.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Local > Ace > Lowes > Home Depot

Where I'm at, the only locally-owned hardware stores are Ace franchises, and I drive past two of them on the way to the nearest HD. Three before the nearest Lowes. Once you get past the fact that they don't have thirty different brands of the same product on the shelf, Ace really is so much nicer than LowesDepot.

I may be biased because one of the local Aces also doubles as a feed/tack store, and has store kittehs who are total attention whores :3:

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’ve also done extremely limited maintenance on said motors, so I need to either learn some small engine maintenance skills or start saving for electric stuff in the near future.

Legitimately, do the latter. Modern gas power equipment, especially low end, is designed to be consumable. You don't rebuild the carb, you chuck a whole new one at it, etc. The best you can do to keep your gas equipment running as long as possible is to make sure it has enough clean oil (for four strokes, at least) and to run it only on ethanol-free gas. If you live somewhere that ethanol-free gas isn't a thing (like AZ), next best is to dump fuel stabilizer in your gas can as soon as you fill it up.

I'd say run Truefuel but... not at the price they want. You'd be better off sticking the $15/gallon+ difference into a savings account and you might have enough to buy electric yard equipment by the time your gas stuff shits the bed. Especially the string trimmer and leaf blower.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

spf3million posted:

I now have a legit grass patch, it'd be a stretch to call it a yard but it currently has real, soft grass, about 500 square feet. And it needs to be cut. And I need a tool to cut it. I'll also need a string trimmer, hedge trimmer and leaf blower for other yard related activities, I'm considering going in on a battery powered system.

I've got a set of DeWalt hand tools that I like that run on 20v batteries so I was initially thinking I could get lawn tools using that system. But it looks like most lawn mowers need 40-60v so it might be a new set of batteries anyway. DeWalt does make a lawn mower using 2x20v batteries but it doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as some of the other brands. My old neighbor was talking up how much he likes his EGO tools and the multihead hand tool looks pretty nice.

I've got a Sun Joe electric mower and string trimmer and they a) were pretty cheap and b) totally get the job done for my relatively small lawn. I think if my lawn were even slightly larger I'd need better tools with more battery life, but as it stands they're very good. I don't regret going electric whatsoever. Minimal fuss, minimal noise. Actually had a neighbor comment just today on how quiet the mower is.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What I loved about my old Ace and less so for my new Ace (moved), how small the store is. You can be in and out in a couple of minutes and someone will show you where it is and offer an opinion even if it's a bad one.

My new Ace doesn't seem to have a good stock, there's always boxes in the aisles to restock, and the staff is not as helpful. Been this way for years. I still go there first if I can!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

spf3million posted:

While I really like my 40v Dewalt weed whacker, I do not particularly like the Dewalt 40v lawn mower. My grass is really dense and grows quickly, I had to use ~17ah twice a week to contain a 1/4 acre. :(

Anyone nearish to Philly want to get a good deal on it? I bet it's actually okay for small yards with a lawn that wasn't over pampered by a PO.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When we moved into our last rental, the yard maintenance was our responsibility. It was pretty big and a battery mower would have required several batteries to get through. I bought a Honda gas mower and Husqvarna gas trimmer. I did go battery with my hedge trimmer and leaf blower where I bought within my 18v Ryobi battery system. Now that our new house has less of a yard, I might look at a 40v Ryobi mower as my Honda self propelled is overkill for the little yard we have.

My gas Honda mower and Husqvarna trimmer have been suspiciously good the 5 years I've had them. The trimmer has never needed anything more than new string and starts easily every time. The mower has only needed oil changes and new blades. I researched the stuff a lot before buying so I looked for reliability and performance. After growing up with a step dad who cheaped out on everything, I wanted to buy reliable equipment from the start and haven't regretted it yet. The extra couple hundred dollars up front have lead to years of headache free operation.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Verman posted:

When we moved into our last rental, the yard maintenance was our responsibility.
Same except it was a tiny yard and had very little actual grass and I never watered it (drought 4/6 years I lived there) so it never grew much. I kept the weeds at bay with a string trimmer and trimmed the bushes with a hedge trimmer. When I moved in I bought cheap extension cord powered trimmers and they suck so much. The extension cord would always get tangled and stuck on branches, etc. I cursed myself every time I had to use them and made a vow to spend the extra money next time and do it right.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Hivemind, tell me if this is smart or dumb. Looking to add a ground level patio in place of a crappy deck. Right now the wall where I want the patio to go has a bathroom vent and the dryer exhaust vent. The bathroom vent exits through the rim joist above the cinderblock foundation wall, as is sane and expected. The dryer vent penetrates the wall about 18" lower, through the block wall. I need to move it up to penetrate the rim joist. I can't move the hole straight up as there's a big cast iron stack/drain and gas piping in the way. Can I jog the vent over about 3 feet? See crappy mspaint:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My neighbor loves his Ryobi riding electric mower and can do probably 3/4 acre of grass with it on a single charge.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Helping a friend in the southwest fix up their 1940s era home. They have a garage that was built later but still several years ago and the quality is well…

What is the sheet metal behind the drywall in this pic

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

NomNomNom posted:

Hivemind, tell me if this is smart or dumb. Looking to add a ground level patio in place of a crappy deck. Right now the wall where I want the patio to go has a bathroom vent and the dryer exhaust vent. The bathroom vent exits through the rim joist above the cinderblock foundation wall, as is sane and expected. The dryer vent penetrates the wall about 18" lower, through the block wall. I need to move it up to penetrate the rim joist. I can't move the hole straight up as there's a big cast iron stack/drain and gas piping in the way. Can I jog the vent over about 3 feet? See crappy mspaint:

Look up the dryer vent code. There's a maximum length and it takes into account the bends, each 90 degree bend reduced a number of feet, depending on the diameter of the vent.

One trick is to get a recessed in wall dryer box connection, so you aren't starting with a 90 right off.

https://dryerbox.com/

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Does anyone have experience with either Gentek or Northstar vinyl casement windows? I am waiting on a quote from a contractor that deals with Andersen and one that deals with Pella as well. Currently the contractor with the Gentek windows is the lowest price, of $3575 CAD for 3 rather large casements. The contractor reping northstar was at $4700 CAD for the same 3 windows. I've had a chance to see a sample of the Gentek windows and they seemed good, but I really don't know what I'm looking at here.

The Gentek would be the regency series - https://www.gentek.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/10/Regency-Casement-Eng.pdf

The Northstar would be their Series 1000 https://www.northstarwindows.com/windows/

From what I can tell, Northstar is a bit of a step up on Gentek. I'm going to wait on quotes from the Andersen and Pella suppliers, but I expect they'll be more expensive.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok, so I've read this a few places and how's that work? I've got like . . . six or seven buckets full of pepper plants and they're not going to over winter well here. Last year I just put them inside and called them houseplants over the winter, but I'd like to avoid that this time around.

Do you cut them down first? I'm reading online about people cutting off the main trunk/stem thing with like 3 inches poking out above.

Do you water them at all? Again, seeing people saying that you just slash them and throw them someplace dark with no water for a bunch of months and they'll come back when you splash some on.

I'm just skeptical as hell and don't want to kill my peppers, but if that's all it takes gently caress it I'll start cutting and starving them.

My fiancée trims most/all of the side shoots and then lops the top off about a foot above the soil. It gets a good watering and then we’ll dig it up, pop it into a bucket or pot, and tuck it away in a closet before the first frost. No water. Last year we did our seed starting in the same closet we kept an overwintering pepper and it came out of dormancy and even started fruiting in, like, April of this year, right in the closet. We’ll plant it out again with the rest of the pepper starts in the spring.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alarbus posted:

Hearing protection. With spares if friends or family are stopping by to help.

Can’t emphasize this enough. A few months ago I had to cut one board with a circular saw and figured I’d be fine.

It was not fine. Dumbest poo poo I’ve done with my ears in years. Stopped half way through and went to get my ear pro.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can’t emphasize this enough. A few months ago I had to cut one board with a circular saw and figured I’d be fine.

It was not fine. Dumbest poo poo I’ve done with my ears in years. Stopped half way through and went to get my ear pro.

To add another emphasis: look up how to use disposable earplugs. Almost no one does it correctly and they’re not getting the protection they think they are. It’s extremely important to straighten your ear canal and get full penetration with the plug.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Helping a friend in the southwest fix up their 1940s era home. They have a garage that was built later but still several years ago and the quality is well…

What is the sheet metal behind the drywall in this pic

Forced air HVAC duct.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lawnie posted:

To add another emphasis: look up how to use disposable earplugs. Almost no one does it correctly and they’re not getting the protection they think they are. It’s extremely important to straighten your ear canal and get full penetration with the plug.

Yeah, you want to be pulling the top of your hear to get it seated right. Here's the video I tend to point people to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S20hJqoauE

Something I'll add is that a lot of construction type noise is probably OK with just earplugs or just over-ear ear protection, but if you're doing anything really loud double up. I'm a huge, huge fan of using in-ear earplugs under electronic ear pro. The plugs and muffs kill most outside sound, while the electronic earpro is still piping in enough that you can hear someone nearby talking. It's the best of both worlds.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, you want to be pulling the top of your hear to get it seated right. Here's the video I tend to point people to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S20hJqoauE

Something I'll add is that a lot of construction type noise is probably OK with just earplugs or just over-ear ear protection, but if you're doing anything really loud double up. I'm a huge, huge fan of using in-ear earplugs under electronic ear pro. The plugs and muffs kill most outside sound, while the electronic earpro is still piping in enough that you can hear someone nearby talking. It's the best of both worlds.

I do exactly this, doubling up with electronic over-the-ear earpro and in-ear protection at the gun range and it makes it so much more pleasant.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Forced air HVAC duct.

To add to this, it's probably a supply plenum that returns air back up to the HVAC system. My 1950 house had one that looked really similar.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Note to my future self:

“Next time you buy a house, immediately clear the blocked gutter rather than chalking it up as slow draining and waiting two years. That way you’ll be quicker to find the mini tennis ball the prior owner managed to get in there.

Also buy gutter guards.”

Watching a yard of hard packed gunk slide out of the gutter was not oddly satisfying enough to offset the terrible smell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Watching a yard of hard packed gunk slide out of the gutter was not oddly satisfying enough to offset the terrible smell.

Ugh. I can smell your post.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Cleaning the (backed up, stagnant water-filled) gutters was the first thing I hired out after buying the house. $130 later and they were clean and free flowing, with no risk of me falling off the roof.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My gutters suck pretty bad, I should probably do something about that

https://youtube.com/shorts/Mc96ut3wymI

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Throwing my hat into the ring for 3M's Bluetooth earpro: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/dc/cbgnawus1817/

These things are the best for either working in the workshop or (more commonly in my case) mowing and trimming the lawn.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Our current condo rental comes with a hot tub outside. We haven't used it since moving in, but maybe we'll use it more this winter. Someone comes and cleans it every 2-3 months, but is there a good primer somewhere on how to maintain/check on the water in between?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

skybolt_1 posted:

Throwing my hat into the ring for 3M's Bluetooth earpro: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/dc/cbgnawus1817/

These things are the best for either working in the workshop or (more commonly in my case) mowing and trimming the lawn.

Not bad for less than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Bluetooth-Technology/dp/B0723CYHPZ

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We're about to redo the flooring in our main living spaces in our house, family room/kitchen/living room, roughly 1300 sqft of it. We'll be pulling up about 500 sqft of carpet and the rest tile. My brother has a home remodel business and has all the tools to pull up the tile and has offered his services to help do the flooring. We've both done all types of flooring before so we have the skills necessary to actually do it. How much are we going to hate ourselves pulling up that tile? It's builder grade tile that has been down since the house was built in 2005 in Central Florida.

We're looking at doing a LVP floor, one that we don't have to put down any extra underlayment and will be going down right on top of the concrete floor.

We think we like this

https://www.flooranddecor.com/rigid-core-luxury-vinyl-plank-and-tile/kernville-rigid-core-luxury-vinyl-plank---cork-back-100519040.html

But I'm going to order a few sample pieces to see how it actually looks in our house. Does anyone have any experience with this specific brand or there is a brand you'd recommend more? We have 2 large dogs so we need something that will withstand them being rough on it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't, but my parents had some put in their house and ended up having to trim all of the doors to clear the new floor height, so watch out for that (the flooring company didn't pay any attention to that and also didn't offer to quote doing it for them).

Shouldn't be a problem if you had carpet everywhere but if there were rooms with thinner flooring previously you may have to double-check the doors that open into those rooms.

Also make sure whoever does the flooring install knows how to properly close up the flooring around any cables you have in the home for, er, cable services or internet (if your provider ran them up through the floor anywhere) or around your sinks/toilets/etc. if they go anywhere near those rooms with the flooring. They had to come back out and do that properly because they just left big ol' gaps around the water/drain lines for the sinks and toilets in my parents' house and they never did put grommets/whatever around the cables in the square openings they left in the floor around where the cables go through.

Side note: Anybody know what the particular hardware piece would be called where you want to seal up a square hole where a round cable is coming through? We took a photo of what the flooring company did and showed it to folks at the local hardware stores and they were scratching their heads and saying some variation of "Why didn't they just drill a hole and put the normal cable grommet in there?"

It's like, a 1/2" square hole from the crawlspace to the inside of the home with the cable just hanging free from the cable box and going down thru the floor to the splitter under the home for the cable service. If it wasn't for hard-limiting the amount of slack cable to work with my dad said he'd just flood the openings with caulking/foam to close the hole up around the cable (and they may end up doing that anyway, but it's tacky as hell).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 7, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Get one of those oscillating tools in case you need to deal with door trim adjustments they're well worth it to just do a quick plunge cut at the height you need over trying to use another took or removing the trim.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I don't, but my parents had some put in their house and ended up having to trim all of the doors to clear the new floor height, so watch out for that (the flooring company didn't pay any attention to that and also didn't offer to quote doing it for them).

Shouldn't be a problem if you had carpet everywhere but if there were rooms with thinner flooring previously you may have to double-check the doors that open into those rooms.

Also make sure whoever does the flooring install knows how to properly close up the flooring around any cables you have in the home for, er, cable services or internet (if your provider ran them up through the floor anywhere) or around your sinks/toilets/etc. if they go anywhere near those rooms with the flooring. They had to come back out and do that properly because they just left big ol' gaps around the water/drain lines for the sinks and toilets in my parents' house and they never did put grommets/whatever around the cables in the square openings they left in the floor around where the cables go through.

Concrete flooring throughout the entire house so no worries about cabling anywhere.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

We just had NuCore installed in our garage on top of concrete and no complaints so far. Feels good under our feet and 400 sq ft was installed in about 3 hours.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sump pump installed just in time for another 2 days of flash flood warnings.

Before

After

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

Speaking of buying stuff, any shop vac recommendations?

I got a Ridgid shop vac from Home Depot earlier this year to replace our old, fallen-apart vac. The Ridgid absolutely gave no fucks about the flood in the basement we just had thanks to Ida. It sucked up 12 gallons of water in about 15 seconds. It had previously powered through all kinds of non-floodwater crap in the basement and elsewhere without batting an eye. It's easy to carry, it has clips for the hose, the accessories fit perfectly into notches on the casters, the cord is long, and the lid is keyed so it only fits one way.

It's a loving beast and a few pages back, someone mentioned there's a pump attachment for it. Highly, highly advise getting the pump attachment. Lifting 12 gallons of water is not easy on your back, especially if you have 6000-7500 gallons to get out.

Lifetime warranty, not sure what exactly is or isn't covered.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD1200/304006023 for the vac
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Quick-Connect-Pump-Accessory-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Vacs-VP2000/100496507 for the pump

Also get a garden hose on a cart. It'll go onto that pump, or it'll water your garden.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 7, 2021