Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Nobody answered my question.

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

yes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
In other news, we're apparently a few missions away from the end of the story in Age of Calamity. If we were to get the DLC pass, is it worth it to do before finishing the story? Like, does it make the story itself last longer with new characters and challenges?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There's no new story content, but there is an advantage to getting the DLC before you finish the game, which is you wouldn't have to do as much grinding for items to do the lab missions. The DLC adds in new items you receive when fulfilling certain conditions, like defeating 100 enemies, defeating strong enemies, getting lots of items, and defeating guardians. If you get the DLC before beating the game (even though you're only a few missions away), you can get these naturally as you're doing story levels and sidequests. If you're like me and everything's done when you get the DLC, it means you're going to have to go back and run levels repeatedly just so you can get the lab items.

e: And that's not even including the quality of life improvements you get from getting the DLC, like unlocking the ability to buy apples before missions, if you're struggling with some levels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does the DLC add anything that someone would really need to see? I mostly play Hyrule warriors as Link. I'll sometimes use Revali because I like his aerial attacks, but I just don't really like the other people's attacks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheLoneStar posted:

If I recall, Termina was initially just an alternate dimension. It was then later retconned to being a fake world created from Link's memories by Majora's Mask, which explains all the copies. It then vanished once he left.

The latter is loving dumb, so I choose to blindly believe the former.

When was it retconned?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Does the DLC add anything that someone would really need to see? I mostly play Hyrule warriors as Link. I'll sometimes use Revali because I like his aerial attacks, but I just don't really like the other people's attacks.

It adds no story content, but the new missions do have a few new enemies, and it lets you upgrade weapons to higher levels, which you'll benefit more from if you mainly focus on one warrior.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Termina was never retconned. It's still a parallel/alternate/whatever world. Someone watched too many youtube zelda theory videos.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bongo Bill posted:

It adds no story content, but the new missions do have a few new enemies, and it lets you upgrade weapons to higher levels, which you'll benefit more from if you mainly focus on one warrior.

Also, Link gets a cool new weapon. Has a neat special ability.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Just Andi Now posted:

Termina was never retconned. It's still a parallel/alternate/whatever world.
Not according to the Hyrule Historia is isn't.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Not according to the Hyrule Historia is isn't.

It wasn’t the Hyrule Historia that came up with the whole “Termina was a dream” thing. It was the later released Zelda Encyclopedia.

It’s very stupid and should be ignored.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't Encyclopedia also the one that decided to change the order of Link's Awakening and the Oracle games so that it no longer makes sense? Don't trust that book one bit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The official timeline says that LttP Link is the one in the Oracle games which makes less than zero sense. I have no idea why they claim that, but it's bullshit, the Link in the Oracle games is a completely different Link from LttP Link.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

The official timeline says that LttP Link is the one in the Oracle games which makes less than zero sense. I have no idea why they claim that, but it's bullshit, the Link in the Oracle games is a completely different Link from LttP Link.

Hasn't that always been the intention? Like, LA Link has always been the same link as LTTP Link (I'm pretty sure that's how the game was advertised on release), and the True Ending for the Oracle games ends with Link getting on the same boat that crashes at the start of LA.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The Yiga are not made of bananas (probably), but they always carry some around and their "teleport away" skill is sadly incapable of transporting bananas or rupees with the user.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It can't have been the intention unless Princess Zelda has a twin sister or got amnesia.

Oracle of Seasons:

quote:

Thank you for saving me from danger. My name is Zelda. You must be Link. I knew it at first glance.

Oracle of Ages:

quote:

Thank you for rescuing me. My name is Zelda. You are Link, right? I knew it at first glance.

You can clearly tell from the quotes that Zelda has never met Link, which is loving impossible if it's LttP Link given that she spent a lot of time with him. It has to be a different Zelda, and there's only two ways for it to be a different Zelda: either Zelda had a kid, or it takes place well after LttP. We can see from the intro cutscene that the Link in the Oracle games looks like a kid, so it seems pretty unlikely that the Zelda in the Oracle games is the child of the LttP Zelda, since Oracle Zelda is probably at least a young teenager, which would mean Link would have to be in his late 20s. Since he isn't, then it can't be Zelda's kid. So the only possibility is it's a different Zelda and therefore a different Link.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Since he isn't, then it can't be Zelda's kid. So the only possibility is it's a different Zelda and therefore a different Link.
These two claims aren't necessarily linked. You could easily have multiple different Zelda's interacting with one Link

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

It can't have been the intention unless Princess Zelda has a twin sister or got amnesia.

Oracle of Seasons:

Oracle of Ages:

You can clearly tell from the quotes that Zelda has never met Link, which is loving impossible if it's LttP Link given that she spent a lot of time with him. It has to be a different Zelda, and there's only two ways for it to be a different Zelda: either Zelda had a kid, or it takes place well after LttP. We can see from the intro cutscene that the Link in the Oracle games looks like a kid, so it seems pretty unlikely that the Zelda in the Oracle games is the child of the LttP Zelda, since Oracle Zelda is probably at least a young teenager, which would mean Link would have to be in his late 20s. Since he isn't, then it can't be Zelda's kid. So the only possibility is it's a different Zelda and therefore a different Link.

I completely understand, and even agree, but also, Nintendo has never really been consistent with the details even about stuff that is 100% explicitly meant to be connected, so I just kinda gloss over that with a shrug.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only way it could be a different Zelda but the same Link (given that the game establishes in the opening that Link is still a child) is if Link used the Triforce to wish himself eternal life and youth. And if you're going to say that, then I think you have to believe that the Zelda 1/2 Link is also the LttP Link, because I refuse to believe LttP Link would sit back and do nothing when Hyrule was put in danger again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You seriously can't comprehend that some rich princess doesn't bother to remember anyone who is below her?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only way it could be a different Zelda but the same Link (given that the game establishes in the opening that Link is still a child) is if Link used the Triforce to wish himself eternal life and youth. And if you're going to say that, then I think you have to believe that the Zelda 1/2 Link is also the LttP Link, because I refuse to believe LttP Link would sit back and do nothing when Hyrule was put in danger again.

It could just be a separate Zelda with the same name

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It could just be a separate Zelda with the same name

Unless Zelda has a twin sister that somehow was never mentioned during LttP, also impossible. She's specifically mentioned to be the Princess of Hyrule.

Oracle of Seasons:

quote:

It's t-terrible, Link! Ze-ze-ze... Zelda has left the castle in Hyrule without any guard and is on her way here! This homing pigeon told me! Please try to find Zelda!

quote:

Princess Zelda! Thank goodness you're safe! What a mess! Why have you left the castle alone?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It wouldn't be the first time the same Link met two different Zeldas, although in the case of Zelda 1/2, one of those Zeldas was trapped in a deep sleep for a thousand years, and who knows what happened to the other one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks friends

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Link and Zelda are titles not names.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am The Link, Link, son of Link

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Linkiest Link that ever Linked.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
the zelda series doesn't have rigidly defined connective canon.

That's not to say there isn't linkage between the games and a timeline and stuff, but its intentionally left very loose and subject to change/contradiction so that adherence to canon doesn't impede the stories or development of the actual games, whilst still being able to refer back to prior events in the series history and produce some interesting lore. All the games being part of the same universe is important to the series, but the exact details of each entry other than the one currently being played are not.

I like the interpretation that each game is a story being told years (or centuries) after the fact, the "legend" part of the Legend Of Zelda title, as an explanation for why details change and why hyrule rearranges geographically every game, but I don't think that's ever been officially stated. But it would be another way to explain away the inconsistencies.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Raylax posted:

That's not to say there isn't linkage

The Zelda series is nothing but Linkage!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Raylax posted:

That's not to say there isn't linkage between the games and a timeline and stuff, but its intentionally left very loose and subject to change/contradiction so that adherence to canon doesn't impede the stories or development of the actual games, whilst still being able to refer back to prior events in the series history and produce some interesting lore. All the games being part of the same universe is important to the series, but the exact details of each entry other than the one currently being played are not.

I like the interpretation that each game is a story being told years (or centuries) after the fact, the "legend" part of the Legend Of Zelda title, as an explanation for why details change and why hyrule rearranges geographically every game, but I don't think that's ever been officially stated. But it would be another way to explain away the inconsistencies.
There were some parts that were clearly paved the way for before the books came out. Like the whole split timeline thing was pretty obvious after taking Wind Waker and Twilight Princess into account.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

BisbyWorl posted:

The Zelda series is nothing but Linkage!

gently caress

you're right

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's all the same Link and Zelda, but they have memory problems due to brain trauma. Please try to be understanding.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Raylax posted:

This is what I've settled on for years, by far the easiest way to not worry about it. Like the legend of King Arthur. The stories keep a lot of familiar elements, but the details aren't set in stone, so to speak, and it gives each storyteller wide leeway to mix things up and bring something new to the table.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I am princess Zelda, queen of Hyrule, keeper of the secrets of the Metroids, heir to the one and true excitebike, the divine goombess.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

There were some parts that were clearly paved the way for before the books came out. Like the whole split timeline thing was pretty obvious after taking Wind Waker and Twilight Princess into account.

Even before Twilight Princess, Wind Waker wore its connection to OoT on its sleeve, very explicitly referencing the events of that game to the point that the seven sages in OoT are on the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle.

It's true that in general most things connecting the games are fairly vague, and they definitely didn't have an actual working timeline in place before Hyrule Historia, but in general the games that came later didn't contradict anything that came before. I say in general because there are exceptions (the Master Sword clearly didn't sleep forever after LttP, because LBW happens, and the Essence of the Triforce is incorrect that Ganon is completely destroyed, since he comes back in Zelda 1, though admittedly these could be problems caused by localization into English).

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's all the same Link and Zelda, but they have memory problems due to brain trauma. Please try to be understanding.

Actually "they're all the same Link and Zelda constantly being reborn" was a pretty popular theory for a while, though it fell out of favor when WW went "This kid isn't the Hero of Time, he's completely unrelated to that guy" as well as stuff like the Hero's Shade in TP existing at the same time as that Link.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

Even before Twilight Princess, Wind Waker wore its connection to OoT on its sleeve, very explicitly referencing the events of that game to the point that the seven sages in OoT are on the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle.
I meant less that the Ocarina of Time connection but the idea there were at least two timelines. Seeing Ganondorf's (botched) execution but also an event where Ganon was sealed away and the Hero of Time was oddly missing kind of cemented it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twelve by Pies posted:

they definitely didn't have an actual working timeline in place before Hyrule Historia

They haven't had a particularly consistent one since either!

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
What always bothered me about the split timeline (or at least the one presented in hyrule historia, not sure if its generally accepted as canon or if its been officially downplayed at about point) is one branch of the three-way split is Link failing to stop ganondorf in OoT. It's really weird that OoT - and only OoT - has its game over state used as a canonical ending and timeline branch. Shouldn't every game have a "Link died, therefore Ganon/Vaati/etc took over" branch?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A wizzrobe did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

i fuckin love the swift sail