Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Getting real sick of these companies not doing twin sticks when there is more than enough room on the device to fit them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The power button location looks sus. I feel like I might accidentally push it with my palm.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looks like they cloned the Analogue Pocket with that designed. That actually reassures me that the October ship date is still on. Similarly, an emulator handheld using the Playdate mold came out a while ago.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah that's an utterly shameless ripoff of the Analogue Pocket in looks and design, though the added stick and 6 button layout are enough to keep it from being mistaken for one.

And you are correct, there was a Playdate ripoff (sans crank, naturally) that came out long ago, though with the playdate so long delayed they completely missed each other, which is fine.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Finally, a handheld with the classic D button

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well there was the Neo Geo X and Mini, but yeah I have no idea what's going on with those buttons

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 5, 2021

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I bought the Powkiddy RGB10max (an Odroid-Go Super clone) and it’s good. Quality wise it’s on par with the rg351 with one small exception - the wifi switch is a quite stiff and doesn’t travel to the end of the channel on one end.

When turned off
[——————]
|—————-=|
[——————]

When turned on
[——————]
|—=————-|
[——————]

I’ve only had it for a little bit so this is really only my initial opinion of it but it does everything it should - runs EmuElec, emulates what it should, battery life is good and the buttons feel like quality - none of that wiggly cheap controller feel.

I’m not sure if one machine is representative of of other machines by a manufacturer but this one is great.

e:fixed my ASCII switch

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 5, 2021

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Personally I don't really care what they label the buttons as and was more curious about the build quality and chip in a system promising better performance from a company I'm not personally familiar with but :shrug:

All things equal I'd take a button labeled "d" over a big anbernic logo under my screen and giant white sticker on the back. I'm more asking if all things would be equal/better as promised or if they're super shady.

Edit: thanks drink me that was actually helpful

great big cardboard tube fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 5, 2021

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
No offense intended to you or your unreleased Chinese handheld, it's an interesting configuration. I forgot about the Neo Geo :argh:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're not ripping off the analogue pocket, they're ripping off the original retroid pocket

New Retroid Pocket 1 Retro Game Console BT 4.0 Support Android 6.0 System Pandora Box Dual System Handheld Game Console
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPWNc2L

Get it if the price is right, just keep in mind that Powkiddy doesn't do premium. They're great for something cheap you can throw in a bag without worrying about it, but the plastic is something you'd expect to find in a dollar store party favour

I love the powkiddy x90 (which really should be in the op) for the form factor, but if anbernic made something similar at twice the price, I'd switch in a heartbeat

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yes, the 6 face buttons and analog stick stacked above the d-pad were first seen on the original Retroid Pocket 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5QBUGNE0k

However it's clearly not a reuse of the shell like the Soulja Boy TRDR is, they've added a back cutout with shoulder buttons like the RG351V and the Analogue Pocket have, which should make it much easier to hold, and the visual styling is a dead-on ripoff of the Analogue Pocket, there's no denying it, it's at "eMachines ripoff of the bondi blue iMac" levels

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's definitely ripping off the Analogue Pocket.

It's got the face button, stick and d-pad placement of the Retroid, but the body, side buttons, shoulder buttons, and the way the screen is juts out are entirely Analogue Pocket aesthetics. The Retroid just appears to be a rectangular slab.

I'm not the first to notice this either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At this point the analogue pocket is ripping powkiddy off

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Analogue pocket didn't invent any of that, it was all on the RetroMini five years ago

Weedle
May 31, 2006

analogue should rip off “shipping a product”

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I keep seeing articles about FPGA devices but don't fully understand the hype. From the comparisons I have seen it looks like it might be marginally better than software emulation but that realistically you wouldn't notice the difference on most titles prior to the N64? Is it worth the $250+ I am seeing these things run for? Is there a budget way to build one? The only one I have looked at is the MiSTer which looks like it has a clunky UI and costs way more than I'm willing to spend when I already have a RG351v and a PC.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weedle posted:

analogue should rip off “shipping a product”

They've shipped everything smoothly up until the global parts shortage/pandemic so I'm giving them slack on the Pocket.

pootiebigwang posted:

I keep seeing articles about FPGA devices but don't fully understand the hype. From the comparisons I have seen it looks like it might be marginally better than software emulation but that realistically you wouldn't notice the difference on most titles prior to the N64? Is it worth the $250+ I am seeing these things run for? Is there a budget way to build one? The only one I have looked at is the MiSTer which looks like it has a clunky UI and costs way more than I'm willing to spend when I already have a RG351v and a PC.

So there's two types of emulation. Software emulation and hardware emulation. Traditionally, if someone just says "emulation" they mean software emulation. Analogue advertises their products as "no emulation" which is a bit of a misnomer, they mean it's the more traditional software emulation.

Software emulation emulates is more open to inaccuracies such as slowdown, video and audio glitches, poor sound quality, and all that stuff. But software emulation does have the advantage of being able to do cool stuff with the roms like those 3D NES emulators or those widescreen SNES roms.

Hardware emulation utilizes a field programmable gate array chip (FPGA) which can mimic the original hardware's processesor chip to 99.9% accuracy. The FPGA chip also has the advantage of being able to be updated to further improve things.

MiSTer is pricey, but it's a bargain for everything in the end if you're going for an FPGA method. The DE10 Nano board is $180 right now, but that's actually being subsidized to the end user. MiSTer is very similar to building a PC in that you can customize it with all sorts of different parts and storage options and what not. You get what you put into it. It's a tinkerer's project type of thing. It's in a golden age and rapidly changing every day. Saturn and PS1 cores are on the way pretty soon. That said they don't look great on an entertainment center if that matters to you.

Analogue's products are more specialized. They're not as open as MiSTer, but have Apple style high aesthetics and ease of use. They're more for using original cartridges and controllers with, but usually do get unofficial jailbreaks upon release (that don't even invalidate your warranty). For $200 their Super NT is probably the best and easiest way to play SNES games on an HDTV in 1080p. (Yeah, the $500 NT Noir is overkill.)

All valid ways of playing, if you're happy with your RG351v then that's great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Software emulation is simulating the behavior the hardware components that make a game console on a general purpose processor (a computer). Emulation inaccuracy can come from two places here: the first is that the hardware chips are often proprietary and have to be reverse engineered with the potential for misunderstanding some of their behavior, and second that the software emulators have to simplify the exact behavior of the chips in order to execute them on the host platform--with some trade-off between the accuracy of emulation and the demands on the host.

FPGAs are a way of implementing hardware that's reprogrammable/reconfigurable. While FPGA reimplementations of a console could, in theory, exactly replicate the original hardware chips at the logic gate level, they still suffer from the first issue that the exact implementation of a proprietary chip isn't known, and so has to be reimplemented based on what folks can reverse engineer of its behavior. I wouldn't really call that "emulation" though, just inaccuracy of a hardware reimplementation. It's like when someone has to reimplement some software without access to the original source code, most often the new version won't be a line-for-line match of the original.

As for the second issue, fundamentally the logic units inside a FPGA will behave ever so differently than, say, NMOS logic of 80s ASICs, but that's really only a concern when the chips are operating at extremes (temperature, clock rate, under voltage, etc.) and not something you're typically concerned with retail software in a console setting.

FPGAs, CPLDs, and similar devices have long been used to prototype hardware chips, including those back when consoles were first designed. Modern FPGAs are exploiting a few decades of progress to reimplement the entire system on a single chip, instead of prototyping just one of the chips.

There's other differences between them too: software emualtors usually run in the context of a full operating system with USB/Bluetooth input stacks and so incur input lag from all sorts of sources, while FPGAs can operate with original controllers and timings and avoid introducing additional lag themselves.

I'm not sure that wall of text actually helps any. Personally I'm totally content with reasonably accurate software emulators but FPGAs are really cool tech.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The analogue pocket looks so good to me. I wish I had a reason to get one just to look at it but my 351V is really all I need until something cheap breaks into GameCube or PS2.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

The analogue pocket looks so good to me. I wish I had a reason to get one just to look at it but my 351V is really all I need until something cheap breaks into GameCube or PS2.

I don't think you could get an analogue pocket even if you wanted one, unless you paid a lot of money to an ebay scalper

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

Analogue pocket didn't invent any of that, it was all on the RetroMini five years ago
The RetroMax/Mini and RG99/RG300 did have the cutout for shoulder buttons on the back but they didn't have anywhere the same sort of premium aesthetic, they were just clear frosted plastic.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 6, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The point is that tons of different manufacturers are doing the screen cutout with shoulder buttons, which is why it's much more likely that they took the retroid design and added a cutout then they took the analogue pocket design and replaced the screen and added an analogue stick and C and D buttons in the exact same configuration as the retroid for some reason

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/retro_dodo/status/1434884617803378689

gently caress, I want a Mint Green one. I don't need it though lol.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Dual SD cards, 4:3 ratio screen seem to be the differences from the 351M. It’s like the V made in the M and P form, I think.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I love my V but I should have waited. That’s the handheld I want. Wish it just had a slightly better processor.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They probably can fit a 4" 640x480 screen to that frame.

And make the logo smaller.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

The point is that tons of different manufacturers are doing the screen cutout with shoulder buttons, which is why it's much more likely that they took the retroid design and added a cutout then they took the analogue pocket design and replaced the screen and added an analogue stick and C and D buttons in the exact same configuration as the retroid for some reason
No, I'm not sure what your point is. They are first and foremost ripping off the style of the Analogue Pocket. No one ever tried to rip off the style of the RP1 (beyond TRDR reusing the entire shell) because its style is rear end. This isn't even arguable. Everyone knows it, why try to deny it?

stephenthinkpad posted:

They probably can fit a 4" 640x480 screen to that frame.

And make the logo smaller.
They don't have a 4" 640x480 screen. I don't think anyone has.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

love that Mario Bros 2 is on the 4 button and Super Mario World is on the 2 button

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wamdoodle posted:

love that Mario Bros 2 is on the 4 button and Super Mario World is on the 2 button
I believe that is the GBA version, which only needs 2 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. I don't think the Retromini is fast enough to play SNES games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The United States posted:

I believe that is the GBA version, which only needs 2 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. I don't think the Retromini is fast enough to play SNES games.

Oh yeah, I forgot SMW was released on GBA. Lol also just remembered Super Mario Advanced 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It is, I played through all of Chrono Trigger on it. I don't recommend it because the games look terrible on that screen, but they run okay

The United States posted:

No one ever tried to rip off the style of the RP1 (beyond TRDR reusing the entire shell) because its style is rear end.

Actually several companies did, such as powkiddy with its new handheld, the A20

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

"The RG351MP is also unlikely to have a built-in WiFi chip, this is due to the metal shell causing issues with connectivity."

Welp that really hurts my interest, I'm already plugging in my 280v to sync and I really don't need any more that require that. Looks sweet otherwise though. If it really is smaller than the 351m & v and pocketable and not too costly I might end up with one anyway.

Wamdoodle posted:

There's ARC Browser which is like emulation station. It has built in scraping and is closer to Launchbox. You have to set it up all the emulators yourself. I haven't used it in a while though I just use Retroarch because fuk it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.floatingpoint.android.arcturus&hl=en

Thanks for this! I tried it out today and while it looks like it still needs some time on the burner, it does look like the best option out there.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 6, 2021

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
WiFi is definitely nice but honestly besides letting it initially scrape everything I don’t think I’ve used it since.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cloud sync for saves and not having to shut it down and take the SD card out to change files is a godsend. RetroAchievements is cool too.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kirbysuperstar posted:

Cloud sync for saves and not having to shut it down and take the SD card out to change files is a godsend. RetroAchievements is cool too.

Wait, is cloud sync for saves a thing yet, or is that still coming in 351elec?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I get the convenience of in-built wifi, but it doesn't take much effort to plug in a wifi dongle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

frogbs posted:

Wait, is cloud sync for saves a thing yet, or is that still coming in 351elec?

It's in the beta builds. You have to make a config with rclone, but after that you can just run the upload/download script and it'll sync to Google Drive or whatever you want.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

I get the convenience of in-built wifi, but it doesn't take much effort to plug in a wifi dongle.

It doesn't take much effort to plug in a USB cable to my PC, either, but I'm still sick of doing it for the 50th time just to sync. And it does, in fact, take effort to have to carry around and keep track of a separate dongle.

In any case the chatter in the RG handhelds discord is that Retro Dodo is perpetually on crack, the rg351m did in fact have internal wifi and there's no reason to believe the rg351pm wouldn't.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that was one of the big things about the M over the P, the built in wifi. The P also came with a wifi dongle but it seemed to be a coinflip as to whether the one you got would actually work (mine did not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

zzMisc posted:

It doesn't take much effort to plug in a USB cable to my PC, either, but I'm still sick of doing it for the 50th time just to sync. And it does, in fact, take effort to have to carry around and keep track of a separate dongle.

Some first world poo poo, lol. I suppose it's per use case. I don't use wifi for anything other than downloading themes, scraping metadata, or transferring ROMs via SFTP. It's stashed away in the carrying case that came with my 351P for whenever I have the chance to travel with it otherwise. I guess in-built is more important if you do those achievements and sync save data. Those aren't relevant to me.