Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lots of bikes have internal guides nowadays, they're the tits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

Thanks for the advice. Found a place with free returns, but of course they're out of 45's. Man, I can't wait for supply chains to get back to normal.

What place was this?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jamal posted:

Or just attach the new housing to the end of the old housing (or use a piece of string or cable if it's not continuous) so you just have to pull the old one out and the new one through?

It's a good idea until the bit comes apart inside the frame! i would defo buy the proper magnet kit if i ever have to do it again. the worst bit was actually the grommets which plug the frame up. incredibly tight fit and real hard to squeeze in when they have cable housing through them.

e: this might all be a problem specific to the whyte t130

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 5, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jamal posted:

Or just attach the new housing to the end of the old housing (or use a piece of string or cable if it's not continuous) so you just have to pull the old one out and the new one through?

Lol that’s exactly how you thread a overlocker/serger as well, you usually use the tweezers to stop the knot catching on the exit.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Tigren posted:

What place was this?

Bikeshoes.com

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Heliosicle posted:

The parktool picks have super strong magnets you can also use to pull wires through the frame, and they're really useful in general (not just for bike stuff)

Seconding the park tools magnet kit. Dead useful for everything.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

today i rode my bike in the woods it was a great day and i even saw a bear

more than 125 miles this week, its been a good september so far

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

also i recently upgraded my new car’s rack situation and installed a hitch receiver and picked up a 1-Up Equip-D carrier, it's pretty great

it has been encouraging bike-oriented road trips in pretty areas, like the columbia river near hood river last week

and taco trucks

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 6, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Guinness posted:

also i recently upgraded my new car’s rack situation and installed a hitch receiver and picked up a 1-Up Equip-D carrier, it's pretty great

it has been encouraging bike-oriented road trips in pretty areas, like the columbia river near hood river last week

and taco trucks

Oh hey, i was in the Washington side today.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

today i rode my bike in the woods it was a great day and i even saw a bear

more than 125 miles this week, its been a good september so far

nice where did you go? I did the Snoqualmie valley trail up to the falls yesterday

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is that twin peaks?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

nice where did you go? I did the Snoqualmie valley trail up to the falls yesterday

oh man we may have crossed paths even, i took the svt from fall city to duvall and looped back on backroads in the valley

ElMaligno posted:

Oh hey, i was in the Washington side today.

drat that's some gnarly rockfall, where at on the washington side? would love to go back and check out other roads in the area

CopperHound posted:

Is that twin peaks?

yeah same area it was filmed in, around north bend, snoqualmie, and fall city

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 6, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Wow thanks for all the great tips about cable changes. I see MEC has a whole kit for fifty Canadian dollars. I was going to get this because I need the bike to get around and the bike shop was closed.

But I ended up needing to spend three days fixing a car instead so I’ll check out the LBS for cheaper cables and use the same lines. Bicycle maintenance is kind of a dream compared to car maintenance.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Guinness posted:

drat that's some gnarly rockfall, where at on the washington side? would love to go back and check out other roads in the area

Coyote wall trail, it connects to other mtb trails too.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got myself a Brilliant L-Train a couple months ago and it seems I've managed to bend the front wheel. Is that the sort of thing to repair or replace?
Is there any reason I shouldn't get a dynamo wheel to replace it?

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I've been resting off some mild quadriceps tendinitis this past week, so that I don't have to spend even more time resting later on, and riding vicariously through this thread. All the ride pics make me feel happier about sitting here and icing my knee. Bikes are good, keep riding 'em.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DrankSinatra posted:

I've been resting off some mild quadriceps tendinitis this past week, so that I don't have to spend even more time resting later on, and riding vicariously through this thread. All the ride pics make me feel happier about sitting here and icing my knee. Bikes are good, keep riding 'em.

I’m finding this year that I’ve got some kind of hip arthritis that goes away eventually but makes the first half hour or so of a ride painful. Getting old sucks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gonna sound really silly but have you got a warm up or something you can do before you get going? I dont know the ins and outs of what condition you have so apologies if this is something you already do.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress. Does anyone make large SPD or SPD-SL shoes?

I have here insoles of Inov8 trail runners (below), 5-10 kestrel lace (orange, middle), Bont riot+ :airquote:wide fit:airquote:. All size EU 48.

Bont was terrible POS. Never again anything from them. Adidas 5-10 was long enough, but too narrow and not enough volume for feet. It felt like putting my feet in a vise.

I think the Inov8 trail runners are "EE" width (Inov8's claim) and they are wide enough. Also they have lots of room in forefoot but sadly they don't make SPD or SPD-SL shoes.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Gonna sound really silly but have you got a warm up or something you can do before you get going? I dont know the ins and outs of what condition you have so apologies if this is something you already do.

Nah, I just jump on the bike and go. Should probably do some warm-up stuff.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ihmemies posted:

I have here insoles of Inov8 trail runners (below), 5-10 kestrel lace (orange, middle), Bont riot+ :airquote:wide fit:airquote:. All size EU 48.

Bont was terrible POS. Never again anything from them. Adidas 5-10 was long enough, but too narrow and not enough volume for feet. It felt like putting my feet in a vise.

I think the Inov8 trail runners are "EE" width (Inov8's claim) and they are wide enough. Also they have lots of room in forefoot but sadly they don't make SPD or SPD-SL shoes.

I have Shimano size 50, regular fit XC5, seem fine, maybe a little narrow at the toes. They do a wide fit version.

SIDI might be good too. I’ve heard Lake have good wide fit spd-sl shoes, though they’re twice as much as Shimano and I am on SPD for now.

Inov8 have some fiendishly complicated “fit” system themselves FWIW - multiple lines of shoes that look identical, but some are ultra tight (I couldn’t get them on) for fell running purposes, some are normal. Makes ordering online even more annoying.

German online shops have the best range I’ve found in large sizes.
Fahrad.de
Bergfreunde.de

Or Tredz in the UK are decent for shoes also.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any tips on shopping for an selecting a new saddle?

The one that came on my 2020 Giant contend 3 can get really uncomfortable after 20ish miles, even tho i’m wearing a chamois and chamois cream.

Apr 7, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

The one that came on my 2020 Giant contend 3 can get really uncomfortable after 20ish miles, even tho i’m wearing a chamois and chamois cream.

I'm sticking with my lovely Giant saddle just for the accessory clip I can attach a mudflap to

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Ihmemies posted:

My feet are off the scale in width for most shoe brands (>EEE), the shoes I found that most suited them were from Lake, specifically the CX 241 which have a stretchy mesh with leather sections that tighten down over the top. I also tried the extra wide CX 237 but that didn't work out well.

Sounds like yours aren't so bad, but they generally do a lot of wide lasts for all the types they offer. Only downside is they start at pretty pricey and go up from there.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Everyone's butt is different. Find a LBS that will loan you some to try, or any store with a good return policy

Apr 7, 2003

Your LBS probably won't sell you counterfeit poo poo either. Go to your LBS.

My wife is rolling on a Shimano 11 speed drivetrain with a Campy chain now. Cost more than I'd like but at least it won't break and gently caress her up. Sounds neat when she shifts too.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

It's a beautiful summer day and i have too much plague anxiety to ride outside :smith:

Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

It's a beautiful summer day and i have too much plague anxiety to ride outside :smith:

Pedal fast enough and you can out-race the virus.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

rt4 posted:

I got myself a Brilliant L-Train a couple months ago and it seems I've managed to bend the front wheel. Is that the sort of thing to repair or replace?

Dynamos are great but obviously pretty expensive compared to a regular hub. Also it can be a challenge to neatly route the wire and mount the lights. The Shutter Precision hubs can’t be serviced by a shop or hobbyist

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm looking for a second bike and spotted this on craigslist. How is this frame going to affect handling? Why the big bend in the top tube?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/d/brooklyn-custom-single-speed-bike-from/7376023740.html

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ihmemies posted:

Sidi Mega and Lake Extra Wide are wide enough for my approximately square feet. Both are available for either road or mtb shoes.
Beware brands like Shimano that claim to make a wide shoe but it's actually just more volume, not more width in the sole.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

DrankSinatra posted:

Well, let me see if I can help. Keep in mind I'm a relative newbie and novice bicyclist. Most people in this thread should be able to ride better than me, but I have my fun. I even avoided a snake and passed two nuns on the trail today. And let me cut someone off at the pass:

Edgelord McGoonacuddy posted:

"WHOA, SNAKES AND NUNS? WHY SO REDUNDANT! SOMETHING SOMETHING CATHOLIC CHURCH IS SNAKES SOMETHING SOMETHING ROOT OF ALL EVIL!"

Yes, yes, you're very daring with that hot take.

OK, ride pics. Starting point: Piasa Park in Alton, Illinois. It's been a minor goal to ride the entire Vadalabene Bike Trail and then ride back to Grafton (> 25 miles) or Alton (~ 40 miles). Today was sunny and bright, and it's been a long weekend, and I have a sciatica thing going on that only goes away when I walk around or ride my bike. So, 25 miles is a pretty good ride for me.

Starting point is below. I have actual bike shorts under the cargo shorts; I picked up that tip from someone in TFR.

Taking a quick rest 10 miles in at Elsah:

This bit of trail in Grafton is often underwater, but today, I rode this section slowly and listened to the wake from the boats in the Mississippi Illinois River lap up to the banks. If you're a river rat like me, there is a sweet smell and sound in these places that can't be beat. I don't know if it's clear from the picture, but the path runs maybe 10 feet from the river for a hundred yards or so.

End of the line trail at Pere Marquette State Park. Of course, the folks at Pere Marquette think this is the beginning of the trail, but hey, whatever. After this pic, I went back to Grafton, where I met my wife for some well-earned fried catfish and a full-calorie Pepsi.

The last five or so miles actually go up into the bluffs a bit. I'll take more pictures of that section at some point, but there aren't a lot of places to stop safely because there is nowhere to pull off the trail, and since it's such a winding path, stopping isn't all that courteous or safe. That section starts right after Grafton, and it's the only part that isn't basically totally flat. So, I rode the only challenging part of the trail twice, and right at the end. Fun!

My stretch goal is to do the entire River Bend, riding past the confluences of the Illinois and Mississippi (which I did today) and the Missouri and Mississippi (which I've done a dozen or more times). I can connect this trail to the aptly named Confluence Trail, and hopefully I can do that before it gets too cold to ride.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 7, 2021

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Me and my buds took a ride over the new Fredrick Douglass memorial bridge in DC today, and it is a thing of beauty. No photos (it was super crowded, they were doing a 5k over it so we were pretty much walking the bikes), but I strongly recommend DC riders take a look. It has a nice hookup to the east side of the Anacostia where there's a great alternative to Hains Point if you're looking for your threshold intervals, and just a lovely ride up to the aquatic gardens and Bladensburg past that.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Kept seeing yard signs for a benefit ride that I wouldn't be able to join due to scheduling conflicts so I decided to do the 62 mile route myself since it started close to home. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36446101

Saw the buffalo again. Two of them were banging when I rolled up but I wasn't able to get a pic in time. Sorry to disappoint.

Part of it was a nice ride along the Merrimack River.

Ended up rolling through Hampton Beach and even though it was absolutely packed it was a nice experience.

I used to live right outside of Boston along the beach and I've missed hitting up the coast on two wheels. It's not the greatest riding but it's gorgeous.

Stopped around halfway to eat a snack and relax the back and this rear end in a top hat was decidedly unchill at my presence.

Even when dark clouds rolled in it didn't dampen my spirits.

Had a brief hospital stay before the weekend and was afraid I wouldn't be able to make out for this ride or any ride. Legs were feeling it at the end but overall it was a great day.

Bikes good. Bikes very good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

rt4 posted:

Like this?:

You could try to smash or stand on the the rim until it evens out some. It might not end up pretty but you have little to lose.

If you can swing the dynamo wheel, go for it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

hemale in pain posted:

After changing some internally routed cable housing on my mtb with curvy geomatry wow let me tell you I'm never getting a internally routed bike again.

unless the housing is routed through only straight lines
My Kestrel CF bike was lots of fun to route. Once you're in one side, there's just a large void on the inside that you have to navigate with your housing.

Instead of using magnets and string, I taped a piece of stiff wire to the end of the housing, and that allowed me to steer and navigate it through to the other end.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
an old shift or brake cable with a 90° bend and the end and some needle nose pliers to grab if makes pretty quick work of cable routing in my experience, get the cable routed through, then use it to slide the housing in

di2 cabling is about the same, only I tape it to the end of the cable to pull it through

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just use a vacuum cleaner over the exit hole

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Most of the surgeons probably let shops work on their carbon bikes, but if they only brought the frames into the OR to run the flex robot arm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCBuyEGDHEE&t=120s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rad-daddio posted:

My Kestrel CF bike was lots of fun to route. Once you're in one side, there's just a large void on the inside that you have to navigate with your housing.

Instead of using magnets and string, I taped a piece of stiff wire to the end of the housing, and that allowed me to steer and navigate it through to the other end.

That's a two beer per cable job.