Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

babypolis posted:

sorry to keep bothering yall but would this be a good replacement?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/MSI-MPG-Z...30892157&sr=8-3

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) M.2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 DDR4 HDMI DVI CFX ATX Z390 Gaming Motherboard

its LGA1151 and DDR4 so i think it should be fine right?

That'd be a no. I do not believe any Z390 boards support 6th Gen Intel CPUs (which I assume yours is—you haven't actually said yet). That particular board only lists 8th and 9th gen CPUs in their compatibility list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That'd be a no. I do not believe any Z390 boards support 6th Gen Intel CPUs (which I assume yours is—you haven't actually said yet). That particular board only lists 8th and 9th gen CPUs in their compatibility list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PLUS#support-cpu

Ah I see, i need to find something that specifically says it supports 6th gen then. That might be difficult. Maybe I should just go for the refurbished one, 8-30 days of delivery be damned

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

babypolis posted:

Ah I see, i need to find something that specifically says it supports 6th gen then. That might be difficult. Maybe I should just go for the refurbished one, 8-30 days of delivery be damned

You should tell us exactly what your processor is. It would make recommending you something or telling you compatibility much easier.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You should tell us exactly what your processor is. It would make recommending you something or telling you compatibility much easier.

I cant remember exactly which one it is and I cant check without using my pc

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering the refurbished one from newegg. Thanks for all the help everyone

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

babypolis posted:

I cant remember exactly which one it is and I cant check without using my pc
you're going to need to take the cooler for the CPU off anyway if you're switching mobos, it should be written on the front of the chip unless it's an engineering sample, i think.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Only thing I noticed that was different from the z170 from my h170 was that the z170 supports DDR4 3200, and the h170 is 2133, so my ram is all 2133. That should not be an issue right

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

babypolis posted:

Only thing I noticed that was different from the z170 from my h170 was that the z170 supports DDR4 3200, and the h170 is 2133, so my ram is all 2133. That should not be an issue right

The motherboard should ramp speeds down to 2133, for compatibility.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

you're going to need to take the cooler for the CPU off anyway if you're switching mobos, it should be written on the front of the chip unless it's an engineering sample, i think.

Do this baby so you know what you’re working with, or pull up an old receipt if you have it. Or if you did a pcpartpicker it’d still be there.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Begall posted:

Get a lightly used 3600 for £100 (they come up on Facebook marketplace constantly, just be patient), then either bank the £140 you’ve saved or turn it into a used GTX 970 with some change left over, or sell the 770 for £50 or so and turned the combined savings into a GTX 980Ti (or a well priced 1070, if you’re patient).

Net additional cost to you over your posted build = 0 but you have a system that can very credibly game at 1080p, certainly so much more than a 5600x + 770.

The only thing a 5600x does over a 3600 is provide some additional FPS on very powerful GPUs when gaming at 1080p while you’re already into the 100’s.

Quoting from a while back but I've come across someone offering a 1070Ti for £260. It's lower that sold prices on eBay but I have honestly no idea how to value these things.

I'll get the chance to watch it work on a benchmark and the photos of the card itself look OK so is it worth it?

Edit - I could also try to haggle the price down.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I did a dumb thing and bought a 5900x for my mini-itx PC because it was on sale and it's idling somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees in 65w eco mode.

It's currently under a Noctua NH-L9i on it (with the AM4 mounting kit) that managed fine on my 95w 8700k but I've also got an Asetek 545LC AIO in the cupboard from my original build that I couldn't make fit with the old motherboard layout. It looks like the new board has enough space for the pipes to fit. Is it likely to give me meaningfully better temperatures?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Yeep posted:

I did a dumb thing and bought a 5900x for my mini-itx PC because it was on sale and it's idling somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees in 65w eco mode.

It's currently under a Noctua NH-L9i on it (with the AM4 mounting kit) that managed fine on my 95w 8700k but I've also got an Asetek 545LC AIO in the cupboard from my original build that I couldn't make fit with the old motherboard layout. It looks like the new board has enough space for the pipes to fit. Is it likely to give me meaningfully better temperatures?

Better to ask in the sff thread, but the 92mm aio will for sure have more thermal headroom. Are you in a dan a4? Do you have a shroud on the l9 to keep from recycling hot air?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

Better to ask in the sff thread, but the 92mm aio will for sure have more thermal headroom. Are you in a dan a4? Do you have a shroud on the l9 to keep from recycling hot air?

Yeah, it's a Dan A4. Both sides of the case are currently off because I've had a whole bunch of hardware fail in the last two months and I'm still juggling parts while waiting for RMAs. I don't have a shroud but I never needed one on the 8700k and figured an extra 10w wouldn't make too much difference.

I'll give the AIO a try. I'm not hugely worried, the heatsink isn't getting unreasonably hot to the touch under load but I don't really know what an ok temperature for a 5900x is.

On the plus side my 6700xt runs way cooler than my old Radeon VII.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Compared to the better air cooler setups possible in the A4 the 92mm AIO is not really an improvement but your L9i heatsink is very tiny (compared to the L9a eg.), I bet the AIO will do better there.

Without the side panels you shouldn't expect an improvement with a fan duct because that is about making the fan pull fresh air from the outside instead of reusing the trapped hot air inside the case. When the panel is open the hot air won't stay inside the case / around the CPU cooler as much so a duct wouldn't really help anyway.

Also note that your Intel mainboard might not use the same (default?) fan curve as the one for your Ryzen.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I've been wanting to upgrade to a modern system, but was hoping to wait until supply chain issues unfuck themselves, which is taking a little longer than I thought it would.

I'm thinking I might need an interim solution. My computer middle-of-the-road when I built it years ago and it is really slow now. I put a new video card and a SSD in it maybe 3 years ago to buy me a little more time; this is what I'm using now:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card

What are your thoughts on an interim solution? Would more RAM make much of a difference? My goal isn't top-of-the-line, just trying to figure out if there is a simple upgrade that will get some more life out of this stuff, or if it's too old and I should just put that money toward a new system and stick to older games for a while.

I don't mind spending some money, but I don't really want to spend a ton on something I'm just going to get rid of in a year.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeep posted:

Yeah, it's a Dan A4. Both sides of the case are currently off because I've had a whole bunch of hardware fail in the last two months and I'm still juggling parts while waiting for RMAs. I don't have a shroud but I never needed one on the 8700k and figured an extra 10w wouldn't make too much difference.

I'll give the AIO a try. I'm not hugely worried, the heatsink isn't getting unreasonably hot to the touch under load but I don't really know what an ok temperature for a 5900x is.

On the plus side my 6700xt runs way cooler than my old Radeon VII.

The 5900x runs hot as gently caress at idle, and even worse at load. I probably wouldn’t put a 5900x in a SFF case.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

Amd here said the 5900x can easily reach 98C and it’s expected behavior.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

slothzilla posted:

What are your thoughts on an interim solution? Would more RAM make much of a difference?

You're on the last generation of RAM so the sensible thing to do for now would be building a new system and carrying over your GPU then slotting in a new one whenever you can get one at a price that's acceptable for you. You didn't mention money or use case but unless you have specific needs a 5600x, b550 motherboard and 16GB of 3200/3600 CL16 RAM will be a great base to build around.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

You're on the last generation of RAM so the sensible thing to do for now would be building a new system and carrying over your GPU then slotting in a new one whenever you can get one at a price that's acceptable for you. You didn't mention money or use case but unless you have specific needs a 5600x, b550 motherboard and 16GB of 3200/3600 CL16 RAM will be a great base to build around.

This for sure. 1060 can hold you over until you can find a better gpu

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

This for sure. 1060 can hold you over until you can find a better gpu

Thanks for the help y'all. Much appreciated.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

orcane posted:

Compared to the better air cooler setups possible in the A4 the 92mm AIO is not really an improvement but your L9i heatsink is very tiny (compared to the L9a eg.), I bet the AIO will do better there.

I think the L9i was considered the best option for air on Intel in an A4 when I last built. What’s new? Should I be looking for an Alpenfohn Black Ridge?

Edit: A couple of hours of Civ VI and it's held steady at 75 degrees. I'll see how it goes with the case back together but I can probably live with that.

Yeep fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 6, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hey there, build thread! I fell out of gaming a long time ago, so I haven't built a gaming box in umpteen years and have NOT kept up with current hardware. I'm hoping for some suggestions that'll be better then blind googling. So without further ado, I'll answer the questions from the OP:

What country are you in? USA.
What are you using the system for? Flight sims, in particular the new Microsoft Flight Simulator from 2020. Apart from that, just basic everyday web browsing stuff.
What's your budget? That's one of the things I'm hoping to figure out. For right now, if we would keep it under $1500 or so, I'll be happy. If that figure is unreasonable (in either direction), please say so. Like I said, I haven't been keeping up with hardware and I have no idea what anything should cost.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Not really sure what numbers to specify since I'm not sure what's considered good these days. The existing monitor is a basic 23-incher that does 1280x1024; not sure if that'd be worth upgrading.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Not for professional use but the whole point of this box is the new MS Flight Simulator.

The short version of the back story is that my dad loves flight sims (he's a retired pilot) but his old Alienware box from six or seven years ago, while ample for the previous MS FS from 2006, would have no hope of running the new one that came out last year. I'd like to surprise him with a new machine and just knock his socks off. But I'm not really sure what that means these days in terms of exact specs.

Suggestions very much appreciated, especially complete hardware lists -- I don't know what compatibility or performance-limiting land mines I might run into.

(Oh, and if anyone happens to know the current go-to hardware option for a joystick and rudder pedals, that'd be helpful too. His old ones are getting worn out.)

Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've had a 30% off EVGA code for three months, expires in two days, no GPU notifies despite being 28 seconds into the queue for a 3090. Keep me in your hearts and minds as I go through this difficult time, thanks.

E: can't use it on any other account we already tried :rip:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 6, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I've had a 30% off EVGA code for three months, expires in two days, no GPU notifies despite being 28 seconds into the queue for a 3090. Keep me in your hearts and minds as I go through this difficult time, thanks.

E: can't use it on any other account we already tried :rip:

Their CS is pretty good.

Reach out and See if you can convince them to extend it?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I have a quick question since I don't understand electricity and associated measurements well.

I was looking to get a UPS with battery backup. My computer has a 1600 W power supply. The UPS I'm looking at is 1500VA/1000W. I got the power supply in order to handle adding mulitple GPUs over time to the machine- currently I have two, a 780 and a 2070; I'm not sure that I'm drawing north of 1000W yet, but what would happen if I did and my computer was plugged into this UPS?

Basically I don't really know how devices with different watts work together.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yeep posted:

I think the L9i was considered the best option for air on Intel in an A4 when I last built. What’s new? Should I be looking for an Alpenfohn Black Ridge?

Edit: A couple of hours of Civ VI and it's held steady at 75 degrees. I'll see how it goes with the case back together but I can probably live with that.
75°C while playing games is alright with that hardware IMO (will be higher with closed sidepanels I guess) so at least the eco mode/TDP limit is keeping temps in check in the long term. Did you check the fan curve? Because you can probably lower the idle temps a bit if you let the fan spin faster earlier, if the CPU idling at 50°C or so bothers you.

Even for Intel systems the L9i is not stellar, it works but it was just about good enough for running delidded generation 6/7 core i7s since I remember the case existing. Besides using the Asetek AIO, people did stuff like using the slightly better heatsinks from coolers like the Thermolab/Cooltek LP53 or the Cryorig C7 with the Noctua fan (with 3d-printed fan adapters), or putting 92 mm x 25 mm fans on the L9i/a (with the risk of making the fan louder because it sits closer to the sidepanel). The Black Ridge is only an improvement over the L9a if used with very low profile RAM to make room for a 120 mm x 15 mm fan underneath, with a 92 mm x 15 mm fan it will probably slightly beat the L9i but I really wouldn't spend the money just for that. The Black Ridge also has compatibility issues with a bunch of mainboards so I generally don't like to recommend it.

Personally I'd experiment with different fan curves and then the LC545 since you already have that. Or just keep it as it is because yeah the Ryzen 5000s are somewhat hot (mostly a heat density problem with their 7nm chiplets) and you're still far from throttling or otherwise dangerous temps.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Their CS is pretty good.

Reach out and See if you can convince them to extend it?

Yeah I emailed them last week and they gave me some poo poo about how it would be IMPOSSIBLE to extend my code.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Hey there, build thread! I fell out of gaming a long time ago, so I haven't built a gaming box in umpteen years and have NOT kept up with current hardware. I'm hoping for some suggestions that'll be better then blind googling. So without further ado, I'll answer the questions from the OP:

What country are you in? USA.
What are you using the system for? Flight sims, in particular the new Microsoft Flight Simulator from 2020. Apart from that, just basic everyday web browsing stuff.
What's your budget? That's one of the things I'm hoping to figure out. For right now, if we would keep it under $1500 or so, I'll be happy. If that figure is unreasonable (in either direction), please say so. Like I said, I haven't been keeping up with hardware and I have no idea what anything should cost.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Not really sure what numbers to specify since I'm not sure what's considered good these days. The existing monitor is a basic 23-incher that does 1280x1024; not sure if that'd be worth upgrading.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Not for professional use but the whole point of this box is the new MS Flight Simulator.

The short version of the back story is that my dad loves flight sims (he's a retired pilot) but his old Alienware box from six or seven years ago, while ample for the previous MS FS from 2006, would have no hope of running the new one that came out last year. I'd like to surprise him with a new machine and just knock his socks off. But I'm not really sure what that means these days in terms of exact specs.

Suggestions very much appreciated, especially complete hardware lists -- I don't know what compatibility or performance-limiting land mines I might run into.

(Oh, and if anyone happens to know the current go-to hardware option for a joystick and rudder pedals, that'd be helpful too. His old ones are getting worn out.)

Thanks!

Every time someone who's been away from the scene for a while enters the thread

So, the thing is, the GPU market has been completely hosed by a combination of the global pandemic and cryptocurrency. Graphics cards are extremely hard to find for a reasonable price as a result. It's been like this for a year now, and it'll continue being like this for at least six more months (but possibly even longer). That's going to make this project a whole lot more difficult, unfortunately.

Microsoft Flight Simulator needs both a beefy CPU and GPU. I'd recommend a build with the Ryzen R5 5600X to start with. With that, a motherboard, and 16GB of RAM, you're looking at maybe $510. For the hard drive, MSFS is a real big loving game, but since he probably won't be doing much else on that PC he can get away with just a terrabyte. A 1TB SSD will be about $100. The power supply will be dependent on your choice of graphics card, but we'll get into that in a bit and slot in a 650W PSU for $75 for now. And you'll need a good cooling system. I recommend a mesh fronted case for good airflow and a decent after-market CPU cooler, so we'll go with the P400A Digital case for $90 (comes with all the fans you'll need, but unplug the RGB for your dad lol) and a Hyper 212 Black which is normally $40 but currently on sale for $25.

This gives us the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($272.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $794.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-06 17:59 EDT-0400

Feel free to mess around in PC Part Picker yourself, it's a neat site. The 5600X is the go-to midrange CPU currently, and the rest are relatively inexpensive but respected parts I chose as common sense picks.

Now we come down to the issue of the graphics card. To give you a general idea of the landscape, NVidia and AMD released their newest generation of cards about a year ago and have been trickling out new models since then. Nvidia has AMD beat which has put their cards into much higher demand than AMD cards. AMD's cards aren't all that far behind, though, and with Flight Simulator specifically there's not much reason to favor Nvidia.

As for actually getting a card, there are two options that are easy right now. Option 1) Buy an obscenely overpriced card on ebay. Like, 2x MSRP (the MSRPs are higher than ever this time around btw). Option 2) Buy a 6600 XT bundle from Newegg. This is literally the only graphics card that you can just up and buy for a relatively sane price from Newegg, the biggest online PC hardware store, and it comes at a 25% upcharge and you're required to buy it in a bundle with an AMD motherboard. This is a GPU that didn't review very well because it's a poor value compared to the Nvidia card nearest in price to it (in MSRP). However, MSRPs are fake, and at this price the 6600 XT is a relatively good deal. The good news is that we like AMD CPUs, and the 6600 XT will run MSFS at the resolution of your dad's current monitor just fine (and would be able to run fine even with an upgraded monitor, which we'll get to later). In fact, I'd say it or its Nvidia competitor (the 3060 Ti) are the most powerful cards you'd need unless your dad wants to eventually get into VR or something (and even then they'll run... okay if you turn down all the settings).

Going with that bundle would change our build into this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($272.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6600 XT GAMING OC PRO ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1299.92
(Modified by me since PCPartPicker doesn't see the bundles)

That'd come under your budget by $200 but without the accessories. You can alternatively look at prebuilts using the things I said here as a guideline for what to look for, but those will use worse components and won't give you a better value than this. There's also the issue of Windows, but you can get that for cheap on SA Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

I would honestly spend the remaining $200 in your $1500 budget on a new monitor. The extra horizontal screen space of a wide screen monitor helps a lot in flight simulator. This HP monitor got a good review from RTings. There are a bunch of $200-ish 1080p "gaming monitors" to choose from, and they'd all be pretty much fine for your dad.

As for flight stick, this is a whole other realm of insanity. Prices here range from the super cheap to over $1000 for a complete control setup. The good quality but reasonable flight stick setup everyone always recommends is the Thrustmater T.16000m, currently $170 on Amazon when bundled with its throttle (also recommended): https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA

Anyway, this was a lot and I can't remember if I covered everything I wanted to. I hope it was helpful in some way, though. Honestly, going with a prebuilt may be worth it just to avoid the headache, though these 6600 XT bundles actually being available makes building a PC in this performance class kinda worth it too. I spent a while writing this because I love flight simulator and I think it's awesome you're hooking your dad up with a new flight sim worthy PC. :)

Note: PC component prices fluctuate daily these days, especially when it comes to graphics cards. I don't mean to put too much pressure on you, but I would not wait too long before pulling the trigger if this is the route you decide to go with because I can't say when these 6600 XT bundles currently on Newegg will just up and evaporate.

UPDATE: The bundle I linked is already out of stock. These two are the only that remain:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4344524&quicklink=true
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4344525&quicklink=true

UPDATE 2: Those are still in stock, and two more Gigabyte bundles were added:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4339909
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4339953

I like triple-fan cards better than dual-fan cards just because they're quieter (usually), but they're asking you to spend $50 more on the motherboard which is not worth it. The last one here uses a mITX board which is a very small motherboard that comes with some limitations, so avoid that.

Final update for this post (in case you haven't purchased anything yet and are coming back to it): It seems Newegg is getting a steady supply of 6600 XTs that they are adding to bundles. The bundles are moving in and out of stock on a daily basis so it's hard to keep track of them. Current best deal imo is this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4339904&quicklink=true

Searching for "6600 XT" in newegg and sorting by the lowest price will generally give you all the bundles: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=6600+xt&Order=1
There are some there that have B450 motherboards. Those are technically compatible with the 5600X, but there are some random issues that come with them and you're better off avoiding them in my opinion.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 9, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Not sure where to ask this, but what's a good mic for streaming? Well, a good one that won't break the bank, like sub-$100 if possible. Not looking to go pro or anything, but I don't want my voice to sound like poop

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but what's a good mic for streaming? Well, a good one that won't break the bank, like sub-$100 if possible. Not looking to go pro or anything, but I don't want my voice to sound like poop

i feel like those blue yeti mics review relatively well for all purpose streaming/podcasting/light youtubing. i think it also pretty dramatically depends on the environment (there's a reason modern builds quite often integrate some kind of sound baffling) you'd probably have more luck asking in maybe the podcasting forum?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Snowball mic on a stand with a pop filter.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Note: PC component prices fluctuate daily these days, especially when it comes to graphics cards. I don't mean to put too much pressure on you, but I would not wait too long before pulling the trigger because I can't say when these 6600 XT bundles currently on Newegg will just up and evaporate.

If I wasn't going to re-use my 1070 GTX, there are points I'd definitely consider a bundle like this, if for no other reason than something modern, at not exorbitant premiums put on the price.

Now, not to horrifically derail, I am down to two b550 boards, outside of one not having flashback, is one necessarily more recommended than the other?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BYBhP6/asrock-b550-steel-legend-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-steel-legend (no flashback, obviously)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pnqBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-b550-plus

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Anyway, this was a lot and I can't remember if I covered everything I wanted to. I hope it was helpful in some way, though. Honestly, going with a prebuilt may be worth it just to avoid the headache, though these 6600 XT bundles actually being available makes building a PC in this performance class kinda worth it too. I spent a while writing this because I love flight simulator and I think it's awesome you're hooking your dad up with a new flight sim worthy PC. :)

Holy poo poo, this is amazing and exactly the info I needed. Big thanks, dude. You rock.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Killer_B posted:

If I wasn't going to re-use my 1070 GTX, there are points I'd definitely consider a bundle like this, if for no other reason than something modern, at not exorbitant premiums put on the price.

Now, not to horrifically derail, I am down to two b550 boards, outside of one not having flashback, is one necessarily more recommended than the other?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BYBhP6/asrock-b550-steel-legend-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-steel-legend (no flashback, obviously)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pnqBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-b550-plus

I have the Asus and have been happy with it in my 5800x build. Flashback is a handy feature to have if you get into a jam messing w your bios

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

UPDATE: The bundle I linked is already out of stock. These two are the only that remain:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4344524&quicklink=true
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4344525&quicklink=true

Between those two, the cheaper option is better. The more expensive one will net you only a very small performance increase, and its cooler doesn't seem any better. Once those go, there will once again be no reliably affordable way to build a PC with a new graphics card until they add more combos (and who knows if they plan on ever doing so). Buy it Nows on ebay are between $600 and $700 for the card alone. :/

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 8, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I previously stuck a 1050 ti in my friend's crappy HP office prebuilt as a birthday present but she now wants me to build her a whole new (budget) system for 1080p gaming so I slapped this together from leftover pieces of my own build and a cheap Ryzen CPU I found on Ebay. It's the refreshed 12 nm Ryzen 5 1600 that's comparable with the 2600, so I'm assuming this is good to go for the foreseeable future and she can just upgrade the GPU when prices level off?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $130.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.31)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $98.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $60.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $99.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $188.00)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $70.00)
Power Supply: EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $44.99)
Total: $720.29

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

She might have to upgrade the PSU too depending on the card she gets, but otherwise sure, seems acceptable. The plus side to that build is that just about everything has easy upgrade paths if she's ever unhappy with the performance.

edit: acronyms are hard

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 7, 2021

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Hey all,
My CPU and Motherboard need to be replaced and I'd like some recommendations. The PC part picker list shows what I currently have from my Spring 2015 build. It would be nice if whatever I get is the relative 2021 equivalent. Unfortunately, I'll likely be bottlenecked by my GTX 970.

-----------------

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? 1080p, 60fps gaming. It would be nice to stream games at that resolution too. I don't play very intensive games. GTA V is probably my most graphically demanding game and my old system ran that fine.
What's your budget? $600
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920 x 1080, 60hz
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? None

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.86 @ Amazon)

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there much of a difference between HDDs? I've started recording gameplay footage and it turns out that takes up a lot of space so I'd like to grab something 4TB+

The Seagate BarraCuda seems cheap and cheerful and my understanding is that other than for game loadtimes there's not much real world performance impact in going 5400rpm rather than 7200:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/jD3H99/seagate-barracuda-4tb-35-5400rpm-internal-hard-drive-st4000dm004

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

5400 is more than fine.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Are there any prebuilts with a top end Ryzen and GeForce card or should I keep waiting for prices to drop and build myself? :(

This would be for my personal use so I could hand down my PC to my significant other. I might just build a low end desktop for her instead and keep using my PC…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sailormoon posted:

Are there any prebuilts with a top end Ryzen and GeForce card or should I keep waiting for prices to drop and build myself? :(

I'd be curious to know if there are any good prebuilt options for Threadripper workstations, Puget Systems and Boxx both charge so much for the labor that I can't justify buying from them, but prebuilt seems the only way for me to realistically get a 3000 series card.