Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kalko posted:

That was the best bit of banter in the game, where Torque doesn't consider herself to be an alien because she was hatched on Earth.[/timg]
i would definitely marry torque and call it an all-american earthican marriage

hell i would definitely bring a snake tit to my priest and be like "yes father we wish to be married in the faith" and be completely straight faced about it

if the priest goes 'wtf' i will go find another priest to marry us, as long as i agree to raise any children in the faith (which i intend to do anyway) it won't be that hard ultimately

i would five MILLION percent have a full catholic wedding with a snake tit and you cannot convince me this is wrong on any level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Huh, I never knew you were a meme poker party alt.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

the man speaks truth about some things

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FoolyCharged posted:

:blastu:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kalko posted:

That was the best bit of banter in the game, where Torque doesn't consider herself to be an alien because she was hatched on Earth.

Honestly, I do find it an interesting character quirk that her reason for being prejudiced against space-born is because they're the ones that invaded earth.

Like, yeah, her species ain't exactly native... but Torque herself? She was born here. All y'all older bitches are the ones that actually took part in a hostile invasion.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

i would definitely marry torque and call it an all-american earthican marriage

hell i would definitely bring a snake tit to my priest and be like "yes father we wish to be married in the faith" and be completely straight faced about it

if the priest goes 'wtf' i will go find another priest to marry us, as long as i agree to raise any children in the faith (which i intend to do anyway) it won't be that hard ultimately

i would five MILLION percent have a full catholic wedding with a snake tit and you cannot convince me this is wrong on any level

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've actually been playing this game recently (XCOM 2), I didn't get into it for the longest time. But trying to do Legend + Ironman is a real heckin' time of a trip, tell ya what! Fortunately, it turns out there are a bunch of sick mods on the workshop, dudes!!!

I haven't played Chimera Squad but maybe I will if I somehow haven't had enough gosh dang XCOM after this (I probably will have).

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 6, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The other great thing about Torque is that the VA wasn't told she was voicing a snake alien during the recording session. She later said it was a good decision on the director's part as she would've changed her performance if she'd known, which I assumed meant she would've made a lot of 'sssss' sounds.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I've actually been playing this game recently (XCOM 2), I didn't get into it for the longest time. But trying to do Legend + Ironman is a real heckin' time of a trip, tell ya what! Fortunately, it turns out there are a bunch of sick mods on the workshop, dudes!!!

I haven't played Chimera Squad but maybe I will if I somehow haven't had enough gosh dang XCOM after this (I probably will have).

That sort of mod mishmash is a bit too out there, personally.

I prefer to stick close to the vanilla game tactical aesthetic, to the point where you have to look real close to see if any of the troopers are wearing mod gear:

It even trips me up sometimes. I think that scarf is mod-added?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ripper Swarm posted:

I prefer to stick close to the vanilla game tactical aesthetic, to the point where you have to look real close to see if any of the troopers are wearing mod gear:

None of these reptiles have tiddies, 0/10

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kalko posted:

The other great thing about Torque is that the VA wasn't told she was voicing a snake alien during the recording session. She later said it was a good decision on the director's part as she would've changed her performance if she'd known, which I assumed meant she would've made a lot of 'sssss' sounds.

I'm still not sure what she thought she was voicing considering how many lines Torque has about grabbing people with her tongue and stuff.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Ugh, another loving fetish request? Fine, i guess it pays the bills".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
maybe she thought she was a frog

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zore posted:

I'm still not sure what she thought she was voicing considering how many lines Torque has about grabbing people with her tongue and stuff.

Yeah she has to have known something was up, but they didn’t give her enough details to work it out in the recording booth and that’s when it counted I guess

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ah yes, the prehensile tongue, famous attribute of snakes

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I grab people and whip them around all the time with my tongue and I’m not a—

…oh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I grab people and whip them around all the time with my tongue and I’m not a—

…oh
                       ​​​​​​                         \

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It is pretty funny that the biggest art impact Xcom 2 had on the internet is people continuing to draw sexy snake women

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Internet Kraken posted:

It is pretty funny rules that the biggest art impact Xcom 2 had on the internet is people continuing to draw sexy snake women

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tom Tucker posted:

Griftlands

I agree with this.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nordick posted:

Ah yes, the prehensile tongue, famous attribute of snakes

One of her lines is also "Another biped, showing off." I got it when one of my other soldiers hurdled a car, which if it wasn't pre-programmed really was incredible timing.

So yeah, if she didn't know Torque was a snake I seriously wonder what she thought she was voicing.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 6, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bremen posted:

One of her lines is also "Another biped, showing off." I got it when one of my other soldiers hurdled a car, which if it wasn't pre-programmed really was incredible timing.

So yeah, if she didn't know Torque was a snake I seriously wonder what she thought she was voicing.

I mean, there are tons of quadroped animals, let alone stuff like octopi and milipedes. And those are all real animals let alone made up aliens that might not even be based on real animals.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Bremen posted:

Narrowing it down to "not biped" doesn't really do a lot considering the character talks constantly about being an alien lifeform born on Earth but saying "you're a snake lady!" probably narrows the performance much more, I like the call. I think the voice acting was great and so was the art style and really sold these not as, you know, fully-formed three-dimensional characters but as more than just faceless agents on a screen and made them feel unique. Half the fun and replayability of Chimaera Squad is playing it through and using new "core" agents in your lineup to see how their abilities and strengths / weaknesses interact, and this is enhanced by the tiny vignettes we get of them interacting off-mission.

Basically Chimaera Squad is good and it's not X-COM 3 and that's OK it's not trying to be.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tom Tucker posted:

Basically Chimaera Squad is good and it's not X-COM 3 and that's OK it's not trying to be.

Having to explain this to people over and over again was driving me insane when it came out. I'm absolutely sure it negatively affected their sales, which sucks because it was so good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The real answer nobody wants to hear is: she's a voice actor, this was just another gig and she probably barely remembered the details until the game came out. I mean, in 2020 alone she was in 11 games, 2 movies, and 7 cartoons.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Midnight Suns gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjf788tHIo

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

skaianDestiny posted:

Midnight Suns gameplay

I was not prepared for a perspective and control scheme that would remind me of Mordheim and the worst of the many Necromunda adaptions. Though it looks like they switch from WASD movement to mouse in combat, so it's already got a leg up on those awful games.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alpha level, but I like the look of it. I like that you can just wander up to boxes and slam them into enemies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like the environmental stuff but the arenas look real tiny, kinda like Chimera Squad's, and they said that's 10+ hours into the game so I have a feeling that's how it'll be. And I don't see it working differently with the kind of behind the back perspective the game's using. That coupled with my antipathy towards Marvel and CCGs and it's looking like a miss for me, but oh well, I still have to do a heavily modded XCOM2 run one of these days anyways.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That makes sense, I don't think this game's gonna be searching around for the enemies like XCOM is, I think your enemies will all pretty much be in front of you.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
*Diogenes runs into the room, carrying a ferret*

"Behold, a snake!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Looks like the sort of game that's absolutely designed for people who like watching heroes do cool poo poo rather than people who like to work out small puzzles.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm in the endgame of my first WotC playthrough (no mods) and I've been rolling but I just had an unfortunate combination in a mission of Lost, lots of mechs and things that just kept exploding and drawing more Lost, and the Warlock showing up and wasting a lot of my time before I could finally get to him and kill him... and it was a VIP rescue mission. I got the VIP out but my time ran out with three of my dudes not getting to the evac. I'm not worried about two of them but one of them was one of my A-team psionics. Is it guaranteed that at some point I'll get a rescue mission for them, or is it random? I seem to recall having to do it through a covert action before, but I can't remember, it was way back at the beginning.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah itll be through a covert action any time in the next month or so I believe and at the end of the covert action youll have the actual mission where you have to escape. Im not sure how it works if you had multiple captured though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah itll be through a covert action any time in the next month or so I believe and at the end of the covert action youll have the actual mission where you have to escape. Im not sure how it works if you had multiple captured though.

My understanding is that the rescue covert action is not guaranteed, though there are mods that do ensure that it happens. It can take several months before the rescue opportunity comes, if ever.

Example mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1136550654

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

They definitely are not guaranteed. In my experience taking out the offending Chosen also makes it impossible for the rescue mission to spawn.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Muscle Tracer posted:

They definitely are not guaranteed. In my experience taking out the offending Chosen also makes it impossible for the rescue mission to spawn.

I did once have a situation where someone was captured by the Assassin, I killed the Assassin, then got a chance to rescue the operative that she had captured, and after I busted them out she started talking to me from beyond the grave to let me know she was gonna keep coming.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I was going to go finish off the Warlock but I guess I can go fight the Assassin instead and wait another month or two to see if the ops pop up. I think I'll shoot her with the Hunter's gun like I do everything else that comes within four nautical miles of me

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Muscle Tracer posted:

There's reports of people getting rescue missions even after killing off the Chosen in question, leading to funny moments where the nominally dead Warlock drops by to trash talk XCOM from beyond the grave. I've never experienced that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ripper Swarm posted:

Jake Solomon’s The Holy Mountain.