Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

:love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

Restoration of flight status was Burke's sweetener for Ripley. Why would she settle for WO, with little prospect for promotion, if LT is right there? Also, 60-odd years is a long time to accrue promotion points.

Maybe it was easier for Burke to sneak her into the mission as a Merchant Marine advisor, rather than a longshoreman. He certainly didn't go through higher official channels to make that happen. Rubber stamp the whole way. No one was around after Aliens to recind her rank. The first W-Y knew she was alive was after recieving the SOS from the prison.

Makes some sense, but to me doesn't really gel with stating that as a military mission, Cpl Hicks is now in charge.

What's the point of an officer commission without any authority?

Ah well, I guess I'm reading in to it too much.

Also completed watching The Third Film in the Alien/Aliens franchise and still found it thoroughly enjoyable despite being the theatrical cut. Would have loved to see some of the opportunities if Hicks had survived the crash and was around to clash with the CO, win the begrudging respect of the inmates and rally a defence/hold out etc.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Makes some sense, but to me doesn't really gel with stating that as a military mission, Cpl Hicks is now in charge.

It's super common when a civilian is working for/with mil to give them a rank like Lt or Cpt just to kind of show that they have a level of authority, but they would never take over in any actual military scenario. I always just assumed that was how Ripley got made an Lt, but tbh I never actually put any thought into it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Also a civilian given a military ranking helps denote their pay grade. When my dad finished his medical residency the USAF offered him a job with the rank of Captain. It's not like he would've been commanding airmen but more along the lines "your pay would be equal to that we pay captains."

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Iron Crowned posted:

UHD really shines for movies that were made before the mid 90's, and the Alien UHD is beautiful.

I will sorta agree that Blu-ray is "good enough" for most circumstances, and for the most part I'm not likely to upgrade from a Blu-ray to a UHD.

Where the format does shine is it's depth of colors. I'd say it's the closest to seeing a movie in the theater. As a bonus the people releasing the catalog titles, for the most part, have learned that the people buying UHDs want an authentic picture, so they're not DNRing everything into wax, and you get all that wonderful film grain.

Seriously, watch the opening of The Shining on 4k tv with UHD/Dolby Vision and tell me it doesn't look jaw dropping.

Absolutely agree. Alien, Ghostbusters, 2001, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T. all look absolutely amazing on a good HDR TV with 24 frames per second playback.

Newer movies with tons of computer graphics are rendered in 2K and then upscaled to 4K, which is why John Wick is true UHD, but John Wick 2 and 3 are 2K, upscaled to UHD.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I pirate all of my movies so I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :shrug:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Android Apocalypse posted:

Also a civilian given a military ranking helps denote their gay pride.

This is how I read this and had to take a second to check what thread I clicked into.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Oh man the rocket launcher in Fireteam is fun but it's such a massive liability

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Also a civilian given a military ranking helps denote their pay grade. When my dad finished his medical residency the USAF offered him a job with the rank of Captain. It's not like he would've been commanding airmen but more along the lines "your pay would be equal to that we pay captains."

Yeah, the Navy made a similar offer to my late mother, back just after the first Gulf War had ended. They were looking for nurses and by that point she had almost 20 years of experience as a nurse, so they offered her a pretty good signing bonus and the rank of Lt. Commander (equivalent to Major in the other branches). She wasn't able to take them up on it, though, as she'd just had a knee replacement operation and wouldn't have been able to pass the physical.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Well, it's only fair...

Wow that's amazing

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wish Lily C.A.T had been better

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

I wish Lily C.A.T had been better

Same, all the elements are there.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

From the unrequited Alien 3 space monastery script pitch art. No, it's not a 'shop. Assface sheep xeno.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lore question: Can a face hugger attack your butt instead.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

A bit late to Aliens extended cut chat- I feel like for the first time seeing it those extras were right to be cut from the theatrical release but for further watches stuff like the colony pre-collapse and what leads up to it is a nice lil' easter egg. Pretty great that the colony administrator is also the actor who later played the captain of the Red Dwarf, basically the same role- leader of a failed community/vessel.

What are folks' thoughts on the Aliens TTRPG by Free League Publishing? I have a few buddies interested in giving it a shot over zoom, but I'm curious about this thread's thoughts on it before pulling the trigger on it next time I hit up the local games/comics shop.

ikanreed posted:

IIRC they will use any orifice they can find.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ikanreed posted:

Yeah about that…. this came up in the most recent issue of the Marvel comics being published right now.

https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/status/1434286055201574914?s=21

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Also completed watching The Third Film in the Alien/Aliens franchise and still found it thoroughly enjoyable despite being the theatrical cut. Would have loved to see some of the opportunities if Hicks had survived the crash and was around to clash with the CO, win the begrudging respect of the inmates and rally a defence/hold out etc.

Burke/W-Y wanted her to accompany them and the Marines in an advisory capacity as they weren't entirely sure what they were getting into. She doesn't have any authority over the military but she is a commercial flight officer and getting her flight status back and a promotion makes sense. Same way that the captain of a civilian aircraft is a captain but not necessarily a military one.

In an ideal world, they'd get out there, everything would be fine, she'd go back to Earth and get a new job on a freighter as XO or something.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I'm friggin annoyed because I'm going for the "complete all campaigns on Intense" achievement, but I missed one and there's no way I can find to tell which. So I'm playing through all the campaigns on Intense again.

Also I really want a quick-matching option. I keep gravitating to the same missions and having a random selector would help mix it up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sentinel Red posted:

Burke/W-Y wanted her to accompany them and the Marines in an advisory capacity as they weren't entirely sure what they were getting into. She doesn't have any authority over the military but she is a commercial flight officer and getting her flight status back and a promotion makes sense. Same way that the captain of a civilian aircraft is a captain but not necessarily a military one.

In an ideal world, they'd get out there, everything would be fine, she'd go back to Earth and get a new job on a freighter as XO or something.

Right, she's a Lieutenant in the future equivalent of the Merchant Marine. Same terminology, entirely separate command structure.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Parkingtigers posted:

Another thing that I didn't like about Alien 3 (and I honestly can't remember it being specific to the assembly cut or not), is that the company lets that one random prisoner survive. They abandon Fury 151, taking that one remaining prisoner with them (presumably to a different prison elsewhere), and even just his story about the existence of a deadly and hostile alien is going to be bad for WY at some point for a bunch of reasons.

I never imagined a very good end for him. I doubt he'll be able to tell his story to the public, but they probably want him alive for interrogation just because he's a rare witness to the creature and could maybe provide some valuable intel on it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I never imagined a very good end for him. I doubt he'll be able to tell his story to the public, but they probably want him alive for interrogation just because he's a rare witness to the creature and could maybe provide some valuable intel on it.

In the alien RPG lore he smuggles out a super convoluted account of what happened called “SPACE BEAST” (or something), and it goes viral inspiring tons of conspiracy theories and also alien worshipping cults.

So basically he becomes q-anon.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tag yourself, I'm Killer Crab Alien. :yeeclaw:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Oh poo poo I had the snake alien and the weird flying one (top left corner) when I was a kid :hellyeah:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh poo poo I had the snake alien and the weird flying one (top left corner) when I was a kid :hellyeah:

I still have all of mine from when I was a kid. The first one I ever got was the Snake Alien when I was 9, I specifically chose it because my mom is afraid of snakes. :kiddo:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I thought I had all the Aliens toys (I sadly forgot to pack them when I moved out of Kansas 10 years ago), but there are a bunch I don't recognize here :psyduck:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

I still have all of mine from when I was a kid. The first one I ever got was the Snake Alien when I was 9, I specifically chose it because my mom is afraid of snakes. :kiddo:
I'm thinking about snake aliens and my little thinking bubble is "what if chestburster but big"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Right, she's a Lieutenant in the future equivalent of the Merchant Marine. Same terminology, entirely separate command structure.

Merchant Marine. Hmmm. Has there ever been a Filipino character in the Alien franchise?

Alien4, Chief MAKOi edition. Like Alien3, but the crew dispatches and eats the Xeno within the first four minutes, spends an hour and a half invading the Xeno homeworld for more, while still delivering their cargo on time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I’ll say this for Apple, I really like how if you buy a film from The iTunes that over time it gets upgraded to whatever fancier version comes along at no extra cost.

Back when I bought Aliens: Special Edition, the original and inferior theatrical cut was sold separately. Then that all got folded in together as the 30th Anniversary edition so you own both. And now it’s a 4K movie, which is new since last time I looked, and there’s a bunch of extras that I don’t remember being there before.

Currently looking at:

a 2003 audio commentary
That 3 hour Superior Firepower making of
Another hour long Superio Firepower on the extended edition
A 31 minute 30th anniversary James Cameron doc on design inspiration

Obviously I’ve been thinking about Aliens (the movie), but hadn’t been checking my digital film collection for magically appearing new stuff. But new stuff has been magically appearing, it seems.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Oh man, this 30th Anniversary doc is great. James Cameron showing off his original design drawings he did himself.

On the alien queen:

“And I wanted it more decisively feminine, and if you look at the leg it’s actually kind of sexy”

Welp, hornyposting is true canon after all.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

James Cameron and Ridley Scott are both really talented artists who commonly draw a lot of their own storyboards for their movies.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My first Aliens toy was the Gorilla Alien. I wish I still had all my old Kenner toys, but the majority got sold in a yard sale. I still have the Alien Queen playset in storage. I should see if I can find it at some point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

friend shaped

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

James Cameron and Ridley Scott are both really talented artists who commonly draw a lot of their own storyboards for their movies.

James Cameron did a storyboard of Lance Henriksen as the Terminator

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah, reading the big Making of Aliens book I was amazed at how much he actually had a hand in making himself, from miniatures to the pulse rifle sounds.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
My favourite fun movie fact is that it’s James Cameron’s hands that we see sketching nude Kate Winslet in that scene in Titanic. The man is just so good at what he does.

Also, with Hudson and Vasquez, and James Cameron and James Horner all involved, petitioning to make Titanic an official part of the Aliens (the movie) thread.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, I’d be okay with it. I like Titanic quite a bit.

FUN FACT: the sinking of the Titanic took place in the Alien movie timeline.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh man, this 30th Anniversary doc is great. James Cameron showing off his original design drawings he did himself.

On the alien queen:

“And I wanted it more decisively feminine, and if you look at the leg it’s actually kind of sexy”

Welp, hornyposting is true canon after all.

The motherfucker has built in stiletto heels y'know.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Xenomrph posted:

poo poo, I’d be okay with it. I like Titanic quite a bit.

FUN FACT: the sinking of the Titanic took place in the Alien movie timeline.

The titanic didn't only hit an iceberg.

It hit an iceberg full of xenomorphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Titanic but the predator shows up.