Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
did William Byron just say "we took the jackoff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
(in Chingy voice) and errbody in the front gonna pit

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Hamlin and Larson are both making GBS threads themselves??

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
Good racing? In my nascar?

Darlington is the best track.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

we all remember what happened last time larson tried to "video game it"

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I'm going to go ahead add this to the list of races larson should've won if not for last minute bullshit, making him perfect on the season

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Yeah Darlington owns, I've never been, I'll get there sooner or later but it didn't work with my calendar this year

Going to Richmond if anyone wants to holla

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Building a short track inside of the Los Angeles Coliseum to ruin Speedweeks to promote the new car while running the old car because nobody has any experience with the new car is more NASCAR than I thought humanly possible. Now influencers are the 'new fan' they're chasing, or what?

Also, MFers couldn't even make dirt on Bristol last a weekend, you gonna build a track from scratch after the USC season ends I guess?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pinecone Sample posted:

Building a short track inside of the Los Angeles Coliseum to ruin Speedweeks to promote the new car while running the old car because nobody has any experience with the new car is more NASCAR than I thought humanly possible. Now influencers are the 'new fan' they're chasing, or what?

Also, MFers couldn't even make dirt on Bristol last a weekend, you gonna build a track from scratch after the USC season ends I guess?

I guess I would rather have the Clash be a short track race than a race on the Roval but, if they're going to pull this "try to impress Southern California bullshit" again, I don't know what to tell them.

DIS oval > Short track > Infield road course for the Clash.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Wait, this is a thing? The Clash is going to be in California? WTF.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
As a NASCAR fan who lives near LA I can 100% say I think this is loving stupid and I won't go

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Only way it could theoretically happen is with a temporary dirt track. USC Football plays until December, and they have a rugby team that plays there starting in March.

I'm willing to bet the majority of NASCAR fans in the LA area live in San Berdoo or Riverside counties (and yes i mean that in a defamatory way), aka 1.5hr-2hr away, and considering LA has lost any semblance of interest in short track or dirt track racing in the last 50 years, this sure sounds like a terrible plan!

Then again, who gives a gently caress about Xfinity or the Clash anymore I guess, so why not. NASCAR fully embracing these chickenshit gimmick weekends is pretty wild.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

maffew buildings posted:

As a NASCAR fan who lives near LA I can 100% say I think this is loving stupid and I won't go

As a NASCAR fan who lives in LA I can 100% say that I think this loving rules and I would go

Last time they had a motor racing event in the Coliseum they were able to pave it no problem. NASCAR will be fine doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJz2iABjaqs

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
You know, the Chili Bowl with cup cars in a half full football stadium is exactly the kind of poo poo show I'd tune in for.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

As a NASCAR fan who lives in LA I can 100% say that I think this loving rules and I would go

Last time they had a motor racing event in the Coliseum they were able to pave it no problem. NASCAR will be fine doing it.

I didnt think they would want to do a 100% dead flat track vs a banked dirt track but i guess who knows with NASCAR anymore!

I really dont like the gimmick races but I understand i'm the minority of people around here.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It’s a non-points preseason race, that’s the time to do dumb gimmick stuff to bring in people.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

I didnt think they would want to do a 100% dead flat track vs a banked dirt track but i guess who knows with NASCAR anymore!

They had said they wanted a Bowman-Grey kind of deal, so that doesn't leave much in the way of types of track.

But I'll take some dirt and some jumps too while we're at it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

You know what, gently caress it. Do the All-Star race in the Coliseum too. I don't care anymore, just entertain my dumb racing fan brain

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

put a loop in the backstretch at talladega

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Cygni posted:

I really dont like the gimmick races but I understand i'm the minority of people around here.

Yeah during the season I don't like the 1 off dirt race thing. It's interesting and fun to watch but I'd rather that kind of stuff stick to the non-points events, let the guys have fun with it. I'm kinda over the stage racing thing too. I know it has eliminated the "debris" cautions we all thought were annoying but I find the stage thing just as annoying, especially for road course racing. I wouldn't mind them dialing some of the gimmick stuff back. gently caress it, go back to straight points like they used to. Though I admit I enjoy the cut line drama as the season and playoffs roll on.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Outlaw Mailman posted:

You know, the Chili Bowl with cup cars in a half full football stadium is exactly the kind of poo poo show I'd tune in for.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

WindyMan posted:

Goddamn you. I can never not watch one of these to completion when someone posts them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cygni posted:

The problem with the non-points races was that they all suffered from NASCAR trying too hard.

The Busch Clash needed to go back to its OG format (or at least the first one I saw): 10 laps, invert the field, 10 laps, everybody goes and does something else after an hour. What the hell is a 20-50 format?

The Duels at Daytona are effectively pointless at this point because there's very little drama as to who makes/misses the field anymore; they unfucked this by dropping the Top 35 Rule, but brought back the bad with Charters.

The Winston used to be special and fun because a) it had a relatively fun format, b) was fairly simple, and c) was a showcase for all the one-off special paint schemes designed especially for the race. Once they decided "Oh, we need four quarters of equal lengths like footbaww, an LCQ which is the night before the main event, and an inversion format for the final segment which requires a PhD in statistics to be able to understand", it got to where the damage was done.

It's a good example of NASCAR dicking around and trying too hard to improve something that wasn't broken in the first place. Of course, it didn't help that special paint schemes became a thing of the past because half the teams run 3-4 different schemes a year, but the throwback weekend at Darlington has restored that to a degree.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Winston used to be special and fun because a) it had a relatively fun format, b) was fairly simple, and c) was a showcase for all the one-off special paint schemes designed especially for the race. Once they decided "Oh, we need four quarters of equal lengths like footbaww, an LCQ which is the night before the main event, and an inversion format for the final segment which requires a PhD in statistics to be able to understand", it got to where the damage was done.

The Winston kind of got screwed by the first night race being the most insane finish ever, which made every year afterwards seemed dull by comparison, so NASCAR's been trying to recreate Kyle Petty Wrecks loving Everybody for the last thirty years (and of course it definitely didn't help once the cars couldn't really race properly at the 1.5-mile tracks anymore because of too much aero dependency). Like, I hardly remember anything from any of the later All Star races except that one time Mikey won his way in from the Open and then won the main event, that time Jeff Burton's crew chief found a loophole in whatever silly pit stop rule NASCAR was using that year, and of course the time it started pouring down rain as soon as they threw the green flag and everyone crashed in turn one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i forgot that the busch clash was non points paying so i would like to formally decrease my pissiness by like.. 32%. but thats it!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dennyk posted:

The Winston kind of got screwed by the first night race being the most insane finish ever, which made every year afterwards seemed dull by comparison, so NASCAR's been trying to recreate Kyle Petty Wrecks loving Everybody for the last thirty years (and of course it definitely didn't help once the cars couldn't really race properly at the 1.5-mile tracks anymore because of too much aero dependency). Like, I hardly remember anything from any of the later All Star races except that one time Mikey won his way in from the Open and then won the main event, that time Jeff Burton's crew chief found a loophole in whatever silly pit stop rule NASCAR was using that year, and of course the time it started pouring down rain as soon as they threw the green flag and everyone crashed in turn one.

First thing from each year's Winston that comes to mind from each year since I started watching:
1996- Dale and Terry lean on each other and Mikey wins.
1997- T-Rex car.
1998- Gordon runs out of gas on the last lap because Evernham didn't take into account extra caution laps on the last stop.
1999- Terry Labonte wins, I guess.
2000- Dale Jr wins and Joe Nemechek tried to kill Steve Park.
2001- Rain.
2002- I was going to say the dumb Survivor elimination format, but Jeff Burton pit strategy is also a good one.
2003- ...Jeff Gordon drove a Wright Brothers car?
2004- Big wreck
2005- Vickers dumped Bliss to win the Open, Nemechek and Harvick shoving match after a big wreck.
2006- ?
2007- Busch on Busch violence.
2008- "Four 25 lap segments because they're like quarters WE WANT TO BE FOOTBALL"

...and then I don't know. There were a couple years where the Open was completely insane, but I couldn't tell you what year they were. Like 2017-18ish.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I guess I would rather have the Clash be a short track race than a race on the Roval but, if they're going to pull this "try to impress Southern California bullshit" again, I don't know what to tell them.

DIS oval > Short track > Infield road course for the Clash.

I'm open for the Clash to be set at a short track, but didn't Daytona bust up the short track when they took down grandstands? Or is it still there but the seating options are not ideal?

It could be at another track, but in mid-February and near enough to the NC shops & Daytona, seems like gotta be Darlington, which isn't exactly tropical, which means primetime Thursday night kind of show may not work.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

To me the biggest Los Angeles flaw seems to be what a hassle it is for teams to move the cars across the continent, and for what? For all they love showing the beach racing clips, Daytona has gone from synonymous with American stock car racing to just a two-date track on the NASCAR calendar with this poo poo.

Aren't we still just waiting for the NFL to take over President's Day weekend one year or the next, too? If they really need this Hollywood showcase non-points race, why not its own exhibition the weekend before the Super Bowl? That would have to go along with making the season shorter in the fall. So I guess not this year but it might be cool as an annual thing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cygni posted:

Only way it could theoretically happen is with a temporary dirt track. USC Football plays until December, and they have a rugby team that plays there starting in March.

I'm willing to bet the majority of NASCAR fans in the LA area live in San Berdoo or Riverside counties (and yes i mean that in a defamatory way), aka 1.5hr-2hr away, and considering LA has lost any semblance of interest in short track or dirt track racing in the last 50 years, this sure sounds like a terrible plan!

Then again, who gives a gently caress about Xfinity or the Clash anymore I guess, so why not. NASCAR fully embracing these chickenshit gimmick weekends is pretty wild.

Stadiums and arenas do some crazy poo poo to deal with multiple different events in a short period of time. They likely could get some form of pavement down in the coliseum for a race and have it back to turf a week or two before and after the race... There's a bunch of YouTube videos that will destroy your recommendation list of time lapses of stadiums setting up events... Baseball fields to Monster Truck events? Basketball to hockey to concert? Yep it's all there!

Here's hockey to monster jam to hockey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4CsdKe1taE

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm open for the Clash to be set at a short track, but didn't Daytona bust up the short track when they took down grandstands? Or is it still there but the seating options are not ideal?

It could be at another track, but in mid-February and near enough to the NC shops & Daytona, seems like gotta be Darlington, which isn't exactly tropical, which means primetime Thursday night kind of show may not work.

The Daytona short track was just some tire barriers they set up on the backstretch. It's still "there" I guess, but there's zero seating or any other facilities for it now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Stadiums and arenas do some crazy poo poo to deal with multiple different events in a short period of time. They likely could get some form of pavement down in the coliseum for a race and have it back to turf a week or two before and after the race... There's a bunch of YouTube videos that will destroy your recommendation list of time lapses of stadiums setting up events... Baseball fields to Monster Truck events? Basketball to hockey to concert? Yep it's all there!

Here's hockey to monster jam to hockey!

You aint putting down a downforce-racecar ready banked paved surface and tearing it out for 1 race. Like we said above, a dead flat track (which would be even flatter than bowman. bowman is def banked, although it is officially 0deg), or banked/flat dirt are possible.

also worth noting that Bowman Gray is a permanent track that has football in the middle, not a football field that needs to be reversibly modified for racing. Good news about the coliseum is its olympic sized and not football sized, so you do have more space to make a less tiny track.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 7, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm still in Daytona and can hear the next-gen cars being tested in the distance and holy hell, if they don't sound like they mean business.

mearn posted:

The Daytona short track was just some tire barriers they set up on the backstretch. It's still "there" I guess, but there's zero seating or any other facilities for it now.

I think many of the grandstands around the Infield Road Course or portable or at least on Wheels. Maybe they can set up some sort of seating areas around a temporary short track on the backstretch again.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

mearn posted:

Oh yeah that was that horrible dead flat, poo poo track. Awful racing on that thing but it did provide this great moment in racing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

Pinecone Sample posted:

The better decision is move it down the road to New Smyrna. A legitimately good short track, no travelling across the country for one exhibition race, and it puts an even bigger spotlight on the World Series, which is great for all the short track divisions that are down there.

Of course, this kind of makes sense, so it won't happen.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

keep the clash on a road course but move it to watkins glen and don't change the date

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

keep the clash on a road course but move it to watkins glen and don't change the date

gently caress it, make them do the entire Walkins Glen course while we are at it. The back half is basically an oval, they should be at home there. It's like a roval course.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

This yellow flag is too late for the cars taking new tires, yeah? They're gonna be from 18th with about 18 to go

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Aaaaand cautions beget cautions

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I'm not a pavement expert or whatever, but Richmond has really loving sucked for at least five years, I've been coming at least once a year since 1998 and I think this might be my last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

It’s not the Richmond pavement, it’s the cars. Let’s see what the cars next year do. I think Richmond is a great track.