Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Wave Goodbye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I see. Thanks for all the answers.
Also I mentioned it earlier but it got a bit lost in the fast-moving thread; I got prescribed some nasal spray steroids for nasal polyps. Along with non-steroid spray and some anti-allergy stuff. How hosed will steroids make my immune system? Like is it a negligible amount? If it's substantial I may well put off the steroid spray until this is all over - lol by which I mean until I die.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Digressing, but the one thing I can't get over about the way we treat covid is how advanced hospitalization and medicine has affected its impact so far.

Like, the whole reason tons of people are surviving is due to massive medical intervention being available. Setting aside care providers trying to fleece the victims afterward, the fact is that a lot of people have been saved by medical intervention of various levels during this whole thing. If covid had happened, say, even a couple centuries ago? Dead. Every single one of those equivalent people would have been dead. The medicine of the time would have been able to do nothing for them and the caregivers would have had no protection at all. It would have been the straight up Red Death or some poo poo.

But no one, not one person, seems concerned about the possibility of the spread going even wider, of vaccines losing efficacy, of the possibility that enough people might get sick that ICUs - especially Pediatric ICUs, and kids can't just be put in adult ICUs - might literally get 100% full with the equivalent of 100% capacity's worth of human beings still needing that level of care and it not existing. Those people are going to deadass die, and no one even seems cognizant of this fact.

what im trying to say is, i absolutely dread the coming couple of months

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Why was 6 afraid of 7?
Because 7 8 horse dewormer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jon Irenicus posted:

where did the people in the hospitals go

We're below the absolute peak because Delta hasn't really ramped up all around the country yet so even though multiple states are choked full the overall national numbers aren't quite as bad as last winter so therefore COVID is over.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Also I mentioned it earlier but it got a bit lost in the fast-moving thread; I got prescribed some nasal spray steroids for nasal polyps. Along with non-steroid spray and some anti-allergy stuff. How hosed will steroids make my immune system? Like is it a negligible amount? If it's substantial I may well put off the steroid spray until this is all over - lol by which I mean until I die.

dont forgo medical treatment you need.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If your doctor said to take them, take them. If you doubt call them and ask about it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chamale posted:

I was on warfarin. As long as I ate a steady amount of vitamin K that wasn't a problem, but eating too much fibre while on it can cause horrible nausea. And it interacts with a bunch of chemicals, hence the long list of plants I was told to avoid entirely.

I've been on it for 16 years. Still cook with plenty of ginger and garlic and dried mango is an awesome snack. Never had fiber-pains, but you don't have to tell me twice not to eat grapefruit, that poo poo is cursed.

It's still rat poison and awful and I wish I didn't have to take it. And not just because it's contraindicated with BOTH butt-chugging ivermectin AND purposefully Open Bidening, since even "mild" COVID can quietly sucker punch your liver and make you overdose.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

go to the loving dentist and take your loving medicine, goons

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

go to the loving dentist and take your loving medicine, goons

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you're worried about getting sick just turn the bathroom lights off and chant endemic endemic endemic 13 times, then brush your teeth with some horse paste.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

what im trying to say is, i absolutely dread the coming couple of months

Why? Seems like we'll get some great thread content!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Salt Fish posted:

If your doctor said to take them, take them. If you doubt call them and ask about it.

It was a walk-in because my insurance sucks and getting an appointment is nearly impossible. But my doctor also had the opinion of 'oh you don't need a booster, the CDC said everything will be fine if you've got 2.' so yeah. I'm less than thrilled by the quality of my healthcare and kind of terrified by the prospect of months of a weakened immune system. But eh, guess I'll give them a call before starting that and see if they can get back to me before I or they die of COVID.

Thanks, again, everyone. C-Spam is the best, goons are the best.

EDIT: Hey, I've seen my dentist a few times since this all began! I've seen plenty of doctors in fact. I've gotten medical attention as needed. It's just yeah, I'm not so sure about the tradeoff between 'compromised immune system?' (IDK how bad steroids are!) for 'improved breathing.' Like I can live with a cough and allergies more than I can COVID.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

“Hey, I’m a good person, you can tell by the fact that I would totally be happy to do the right thing if someone from the government made sure I had no other choice. Until then, though, there are bad people doing things, and it’s not fair that the bad people get to do the things and I don’t, so I’m going to do what the bad people do because otherwise it’s unfair to me, a good person.”

Liberals are amazing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

no one knows the answer to that question sorry. steroids do lower immune response, but the degree to which that increases your chances of contracting this particular infectious respiratory epidemic disease is not something anyone has measured. i think a good hypothesis is that it does increase that chance, but also you should use the medicine you need for your nose bumps because you need it and the pandemic isn't going anywhere. if your nose is runny because of it you're more likely to break mask discipline as well, which is probably a larger influence on infection risk.

that's what "living with the virus" actually means too. people just have another nuanced decision to make without a clear best answer and with a variety of varying risk profiles. it's bad.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If it's some kind of OTC-strength nasal corticosteroid spray like Flonase (fluticasone propionate) or similar, there's no evidence that it has any effect on systemic immune response and even the local effect is very limited. If it's something stronger, maybe but otoh polyps bad.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Stereotype posted:

no one knows the answer to that question sorry. steroids do lower immune response, but the degree to which that increases your chances of contracting this particular infectious respiratory epidemic disease is not something anyone has measured. i think a good hypothesis is that it does increase that chance, but also you should use the medicine you need for your nose bumps because you need it and the pandemic isn't going anywhere. if your nose is runny because of it you're more likely to break mask discipline as well, which is probably a larger influence on infection risk.

that's what "living with the virus" actually means too. people just have another nuanced decision to make without a clear best answer and with a variety of varying risk profiles. it's bad.

Stuffy, more than runny. And my mask discipline is immaculate. I legit don't take my respo off once I leave the house unless I'm being examined by a doctor and asked to do so.
But yeah. It's a nuanced decision to make without any real data or expert weigh-in because the healthcare system has been compromised by genocidal ghouls who are underplaying the severity of the crisis at every step of the way, and overplaying the efficacy of vaccines as well.
Most of the doctors I've had to interact with since this began have been firmly 'you're vaccinated and in your early 30s, you have nothing to worry about.'

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It was a walk-in because my insurance sucks and getting an appointment is nearly impossible. But my doctor also had the opinion of 'oh you don't need a booster, the CDC said everything will be fine if you've got 2.' so yeah. I'm less than thrilled by the quality of my healthcare and kind of terrified by the prospect of months of a weakened immune system. But eh, guess I'll give them a call before starting that and see if they can get back to me before I or they die of COVID.

Thanks, again, everyone. C-Spam is the best, goons are the best.

EDIT: Hey, I've seen my dentist a few times since this all began! I've seen plenty of doctors in fact. I've gotten medical attention as needed. It's just yeah, I'm not so sure about the tradeoff between 'compromised immune system?' (IDK how bad steroids are!) for 'improved breathing.' Like I can live with a cough and allergies more than I can COVID.

if you are legitimately considering skipping prescription medicine because you're worried about catching COVID, wear your respirator. if you're considering that and you don't own a respirator, what the gently caress

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

if you are legitimately considering skipping prescription medicine because you're worried about catching COVID, wear your respirator. if you're considering that and you don't own a respirator, what the gently caress

Also this. You have the perfect excuse for a bane mask now.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Oldest Man posted:

If it's some kind of OTC-strength nasal corticosteroid spray like Flonase (fluticasone propionate) or similar, there's no evidence that it has any effect on systemic immune response and even the local effect is very limited. If it's something stronger, maybe but otoh polyps bad.

I was going to fill the prescription today but my pharmacy was closed, but the illegible scrawl I have from the doc seems to say 'fluxcasone' but I'm assuming that's just a garbled version of fluticasone.
Thanks. Appreciate it.

And I normally would never consider going against the suggestion of a doctor, I'm usually very submissive to authority when it comes to stuff like this, funny enough. I know that I know very little about biology, and they know a lot. But when I have doctors repeatedly telling me the same nonsense the CDC is spewing, it kind of breaks my faith in the system.

EDIT: And I've been elastomeric elite for months. I mean really, sounding like Bane or Darth Vader is its own reward and I have no idea why so few people are down for it. That I'm possibly saving my own life and the lives of those around me in addition is just icing on the cake.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EDIT: And I've been elastomeric elite for months. I mean really, sounding like Bane or Darth Vader is its own reward and I have no idea why so few people are down for it. That I'm possibly saving my own life and the lives of those around me in addition is just icing on the cake.

then you have nothing to worry about, unless you are for some reason taking your respirator off outside your home. respirator crew ain't getting no virus unless it catches them slipping

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think OP's concerned about the booster possibly not being effective unless he stops taking the steroid inhaler

But I could be mistaken

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Stereotype posted:

lol i've never seen it squeezed out before. i was imagining an opaque green paste, it's like a clear jelly.

Let's be real, folks: this is horse jelly.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cup Runneth Over posted:

then you have nothing to worry about, unless you are for some reason taking your respirator off outside your home. respirator crew ain't getting no virus unless it catches them slipping

Well, still gotta take it off to see doctors and I doubt my faceshield is perfectly protecting my eyes. Plus there are other people in my house who I avoid and are on different floors but yeah. Point is I prefer to take no chances when possible.
But apparently flonase is NBD so eh. That's good.

Plus who knows how long the pharmacies will be open anyway. I've been filling my brainmeds and cholesterol meds in advance ever since this began just in case I need to go a few weeks without being able to visit a pharmacy because of societal collapse.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Look, you people all just need to stop asking questions and believe in science.

We're going to open Biden harder than we've ever opened before. Get vaccinated.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1434878037208805378?s=19

Funny, but he's probably going to get suspended

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i took the day off from the thread yesterday, is covid over now?

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

president Xi, i will suck ur fuckin DICK if you just send those Chengdu J-20s over

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

The simulation is mocking us. I want out!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Whoever recommended switching to safety razor shaving thank you. I'm so smooth.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress gandhi
gently caress oster
gently caress fauci
gently caress open biden
gently caress them all god damnit loving gently caress

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol literally making me sick to my stomach i want to puke after reading / watching this

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

jump around

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tzen posted:

gently caress gandhi
gently caress oster
gently caress fauci
gently caress open biden
gently caress them all god damnit loving gently caress

I said it about Abbot and DeSantis and it applies to them to;
That these monsters are not in cells awaiting trial for their crimes against humanity is a failure of our government. That they have not been dragged from their homes and subjected to mob justice is a failure of our society. There are going to be thousands of dead children and literally millions more maimed for life in these next two months, and Americans just don't loving give a poo poo at all.

Over two 9/11s exclusively of children, and not a peep.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Thanks to open er up, we had an at-home vaccine challenge experiment the last 10 days.

Both of my kids (and their mom) tested positive for covid. Presumably they got it at school and gave it to her before they were symptomatic.

They were already with me before we knew they had covid, so my partner and I quarantined with the kids. So far, neither of us tested positive over a series of antigen and PCR tests and I can’t believe it.

I had assumed prolonged exposure to virus would eventually lead to an infection. Is complete immunity possible? How likely?

Also holy poo poo so many kids are going to give their families covid this fall.
loving brutal
hopefully everyone recovers well

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Georgia is deteriorating faster then I thought or anyone is acknowledging.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1434906143999025155

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I said it about Abbot and DeSantis and it applies to them to;
That these monsters are not in cells awaiting trial for their crimes against humanity is a failure of our government. That they have not been dragged from their homes and subjected to mob justice is a failure of our society. There are going to be thousands of dead children and literally millions more maimed for life in these next two months, and Americans just don't loving give a poo poo at all.

Over two 9/11s exclusively of children, and not a peep.
yup, it's all loving maddening

with all the parents soon to be dead due to open biden with the schools i wonder if orphanages in America will become a thing again

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
What are our guesses on Tuesday numbers?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

What are our guesses on Tuesday numbers?

bigly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

my family is treating me like I’m insane for still hunkering down and vastly limiting my exposure. holidays are coming up. I can see myself completely isolating from my family yet again because I don’t want the virus. logically I won’t see them ever again because they don’t behave safely and I don’t want to get infected or infect my SO. I feel like the zombies are at the gates. just an overwhelming sense of futility to resist against the tide trying to suck me under. this poo poo is crazy