Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tried some more of my Oblivion nord mage. I got to the mage guild quest to explore an old ruin (what a waste of my talents) and got stuck. I just didn't do enough damage or have enough magicka to defeat the wraths I faced. Using the console I switched to the apprentice sign and the extra magicka did help a lot. The extra damage I received did not help but if there is room to maneuver it's not too challenging to dodge. But at least the ghost types are so much cooler, stronger and scarier than the lame crap versions you face in Skyrim.

Made myself a touch attacked spell with 5 fire, frost and shock damage for 2 seconds and it seems to be ok if a bit slow. Thinking of just cheating myself some sigil stones so I don't have to reload over and over to get the ones I actually want.

The general goods trader and alchemist in Skingrad seems to have disappeared. Their shops were closed no matter the time of day and breaking in to search revealed empty houses. The latter could be explained by that she couldn't afford to pay the fine(s) and got thrown in prison, but I hope they randomly pop back again.

Also I noticed something in Skyrim, during the drudgery of the shout tutorial at the greybeards, the three targets are each summoned by a different secondary greybeard. They all look the same, sound the same, have no personality or any interaction with you at all so it's very easy to miss.

Poil fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Something I do in Oblivion, if I’m not using a mod anyway, is to start a character and lower the difficulty all the way down. Then I bump it 1 or 2 notches as I level. It at least keeps the early game a touch more relaxed and allows you to feel you’re getting stronger. I stop when the diff slider is back to the 50% default setting.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Early Oblivion thoughts:

My High Elf Atronach Sorcerer is pretty strong when I have mana. Pretty bad when I don't. Luckily I've started to find some Welkyn stones or whatever they're called and so that makes managing this condition easier. I need to figure out how to find mats for mana potions too I suppose. I've found a few and made a few, but I don't have the type of ingredients I need memorized yet.

I did a quest for some guy in Skingrad where he thought people were following him and it looked like none of those people were in fact following him so I told him that and he flipped out and I had to kill him. That was a pretty amusing quest. I've joined the Mages guild.

Games not bad so far. My main complaint so far is there definitely seems to be some Dragon Age 2 style recycling of dungeons and assets. And the loot in the dungeons I have gone in so far has been rather subpar. That's a big departure from Morrowind where you can find cool stuff in random dungeons. Maybe I just haven't found the right dungeons yet.

I haven't found a lot of quests yet either but I'm heading towards Kvatch and I have a few journal entries for stuff in Anvil so I imagine I'll have a fair amount to do soon.

e: I forgot to mention but the radiant AI is every bit as funny as advertised. I was in the Mage's guild in Skingrad and 4 npcs where shouting at each other "Hi how are you?" "Not bad, how are you?" "Good!" "Well, good bye!" "Be seeing you!" It's really goddamned funny

ee: I apparently accidentally dropped my pants somewhere and didn't realize until now that I've been riding around like this:

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 6, 2021

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The Wizard of No-Pants

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Error 404 posted:

The Wizard of No-Pants

would you like to enter my magical realm?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
On the dungeon asset recycling: I remember hearing (and cannot confirm right now) that the dungeons in Oblivion were all made by one person. Not each by one person, but all of them by the same one person, presumably in a short span of time.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Well dungeons and combat are only the most important parts of the game that 90% of players spend 90% of their time doing, so it makes sense that they’d be an afterthought compared to stunt casting the opening voice actor

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Vavrek posted:

On the dungeon asset recycling: I remember hearing (and cannot confirm right now) that the dungeons in Oblivion were all made by one person. Not each by one person, but all of them by the same one person, presumably in a short span of time.

There's like six different dungeon layouts per tileset that they reuse so I believe it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like without the popularity of coming off Morrowind or the novelty of the engine being moddable and larger and freer then most games that Oblivion would just be a flash in the pan forgettable open world RPG without the IP driving sales.
It has so many readily apparent flaws from the dungeons to the lack of voice actors to time freezing during conversations as you feed people pie.

Related video to oblivion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVePoSx8QQ

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Muscle Tracer posted:

counterpoint: set the difficulty to min and play in a way that feels fun to you

The trick here is that when you follow my advice your often-used skills way outpace your level, so you don't need to touch the difficulty slider, friend. Of course, everyone should feel free to have a good time with their video games in the way that they see fit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That seems like it might hurt a bit but Brother Martin is bearing the burden admirably

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 7, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

"We're all trying to find the guy that did this!"

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Elder scrolls needs a naval combat component to it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Flag

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It constantly bugs me in Skyrim when buildings and their interiors are obviously offset such as the Jorrvaskr basement or the Blue Palace main entrance. :argh:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ott_ posted:

Elder scrolls needs a naval combat component to it

You mean advanced base building and farming.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

I just want to be a pirate

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Farming is for when piracy season is over.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well, we're going to Hammerfell next game, maybe we'll get daggerfall 2.0 and can buy boats again.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Well, we're going to Hammerfell next game, maybe we'll get daggerfall 2.0 and can buy craft boats again.

Ftfy. Also you'll have to do a long quest chain to get the skill. It will be tedious and time consuming. Ultimately you will be the best boatmaker in Hammerfell.

GOTY 20XX

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Don't forget the quest to recruit your crew, 8 step radiant quest for the cabin boy with a tragic past

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alternatively you'll be given a free boat right in the tutorial with very little customization or use despite it being tied to a lot of quests for no reason.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

By a freak wrinkle in the mechanics, if you craft the dragon iron boat with a bonus to cold water navigation you can make a vest that let's you drink 60% faster, which is the key to infinite Stat points.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Oblivion is a pretty progressive game for its time:

Either that or the radiant AI was doing its thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Well, we're going to Hammerfell next game, maybe we'll get daggerfall 2.0 and can buy boats again.

has that been officially confirmed? i know there was some hint about it, but it seems weird that they'd go back to a place thats already been featured in a major title instead of a province we haven't seen before

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

has that been officially confirmed? i know there was some hint about it, but it seems weird that they'd go back to a place thats already been featured in a major title instead of a province we haven't seen before

the thing is all the other provinces we haven't been to are Weird and part of what made skyrim sell so well was that it was Painfully White And Generic, so all signs point to Hammerfell again as it's not Weird

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Poil posted:

Alternatively you'll be given a free boat right in the tutorial with very little customization or use despite it being tied to a lot of quests for no reason.

Ah, the deadfire strategy, a classic.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

the thing is all the other provinces we haven't been to are Weird and part of what made skyrim sell so well was that it was Painfully White And Generic, so all signs point to Hammerfell again as it's not Weird

Is High Rock that weird? I thought we haven't been there yet. It seems like generic Ireland or some poo poo?

Catland, Elfland, and Lizardland are all weird I'm sure though

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Elfwood is pretty weird as well. I've heard people gushing about how awesome it would be with villages in the treetops and the trees migrating around, as if bethesda could even remotely manage to program that. :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Elfwood is pretty weird as well. I've heard people gushing about how awesome it would be with villages in the treetops and the trees migrating around, as if bethesda could even remotely manage to program that. :(

Watching npcs walk off of trees to their deaths would be endless entertainment so I'm pretty in favor of that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Is High Rock that weird? I thought we haven't been there yet. It seems like generic Ireland or some poo poo?

Catland, Elfland, and Lizardland are all weird I'm sure though

High Rock was also in Daggerfall with Hammerfell.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cyrodiil was a jungle up until it wasn't. If Bethesda want a region to not be weird, then it'll be not weird.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Cyrodiil was a jungle up until it wasn't. If Bethesda want a region to not be weird, then it'll be not weird.

I think ESO ties them down a bit more than it did in the past. I know I know, CHIM and Dragon Breaks and time passing all that, but it’s gonna be Real Weird if they ship a completely different region from what’s already in a recent video game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't wait for Elder Scrolls VII: Black Marsh, where it turns out Tiber Septim was just too lazy to conquer it and the province is actually extremely normal and the trees aren't actually sentient.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arivia posted:

hammerfell isnt as weird as morrowind or the cat province but its definitely not as white and generic as skyrim. the breton province, high rock, certainly would be though, or the high elf islands.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 9, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well it was interesting to try Oblivion but I think I'm already burnt out on it. It's ultra repetitive and grindy in a way even Morrowind/Skyrim aren't. And the combat is way unfun, even for an Elder Scrolls game. I'm sure those things can be modded to a degree but I'm not sure I find the story interesting enough to bother anyhow. I feel like I'm playing a single player mmo and yeah gently caress that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Oblivion needs mods more then any of their other recent games to reach a "fun" point with less jank and copy/pasted dungeons and samey forests.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Well it was interesting to try Oblivion but I think I'm already burnt out on it. It's ultra repetitive and grindy in a way even Morrowind/Skyrim aren't. And the combat is way unfun, even for an Elder Scrolls game. I'm sure those things can be modded to a degree but I'm not sure I find the story interesting enough to bother anyhow. I feel like I'm playing a single player mmo and yeah gently caress that.

Try thieves guild and DB and then yeah honestly skip everything else except maybe shivering isles.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Try thieves guild and DB and then yeah honestly skip everything else except maybe shivering isles.

I'll give it more of a try. I'm not like completely hating it or anything but when I posted that it was after clearing the 4th Oblivion gate in a row in a short time period and I was feeling rather tilted about it :v:.

There are some parts I'm enjoying. The quests seem fun enough. There are just times where this game feels like a chore. You kinda have to dig to find the fun parts sometimes. I guess that's true of all Elder Scrolls games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One thing to know is that most of the oblivion gates are completely optional. If one opens up around you just keep walking! What are they gonna do? Nothing! That's what!