Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

there's that good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I imagine these people stay in dead end jobs they hate for years just so they won't be seen as "traders".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

I imagine these people stay in dead end jobs they hate for years just so they won't be seen as "traders".

Brand loyalty is such a poison.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

JT Smiley posted:

It's why I turned down that job on Wall Street.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also, don't underestimate how much the people like Miz who have been there forever are indoctrinated with the idea that the WWE style of match is the One True Style of wrestling and everything else is novelty stuff that will never get over.

quote:

Anyone who pretends that there was cohesive storytelling hasn’t bothered to watch a real pro wrestling match in years.

Half the time they didn’t go for a cover, half the spots were contrived bullshit with plain as day cooperation and that thumb tack spot was so dumb.

If neither of the Bucks could see Penta when he dove in front of Fenix, why didn’t Penta just loving attack the Bucks? And don’t attribute it to “selling” because no one in this match understood selling beyond bouncing and bumping as high as possible.

On the rare occasion that someone does go for a cover you see a guy like Penta who just took a super kick with tacks and then a golden trigger kick out.

This wasn’t a wrestling contest between teams who wanted to win, it was a series of flashy spots and moments between 4 guys who are all obviously helping one another. So much cute spots where a guy from each team does a move at the same time as the opposite pairing from the other two guys, it all looked so dumb.

Within the first 60 seconds there was a dumb spot where the Bucks pretended to climb the cage but conveniently stopped halfway up so the Lucy’s Bro’s could hit some constricted splash into the side of the cage. In the first minute they already killed any believability.

The finish was equally dumb too where Fenix and Nick just stopped selling all the bullshit so they could quickly scale the cage, only for the Buck to get immediately kicked off. But he got right up and into position along with the other Buck and Penta for Fenix to hit an amazing splash off the top of the cage. The ridiculous part is how Penta clearly took the most of the splash but just hopped up like he was fine so they could hit another goddamn double team move for the finish. Because you know a loving splash off the top of the cage can’t finish someone, you always must hit your predetermined “finisher” before getting the win.

This was a train wreck and if that crowd didn’t have Punk to wake them back up I think this match could have drained them, killed them and made them immune to most anything else anyone else could do. This was bad, this show needs agents who can actually reign these kids in.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

w/r/t that Miz promo, I did like it at the time, and I loved what they did with Miz's character after that, but in hindsight I can agree that the entire substance of the promo is corporate bootlicking and wanting to play it safe so he can collect a paycheck at the end of the day

granted, that promo led directly to the best match of Miz's career (and with Dolph Ziggler, no less), and for a few months he was honestly one of the hottest wrestlers in the US, but within the year he went back to wrestling his usual safe and boring style, which I guess paid off for him as he beat Drew for the belt in that MITB cash-in match earlier in the year lmao, but it doesn't really make him a good wrestler now. I remember seeing Miz wrestling Mox at a PPV a year or so after the Ziggler feud, and I was just so disappointed that Miz was so bloody boring now.

I remember a few years ago that Minoru Suzuki did an interview where he criticised modern wrestlers for being fans before actually being wrestlers, and they're not actually fighting to protect their commercial value and make more money. If you don't think it"s all about the money, then you're not actually earning any, and you might as well be working for free.

Minoru Suzuki posted:

"There is one thing about Japanese wrestling lately that so many wrestlers were just fans first,” Suzuki said. “You don’t get what I’m saying, do you? They’re making money because of who they learned from. That shouldn’t matter.

“They say they can because they learned it. But that’s not it. It comes from work. They say they learned this move from their master. That’s not it. It came from practice. They don’t get it. They’re just wrestling fans, every single one of them.

“And they never talk about money. What’s interesting about wrestling done by wrestling fans? Why don’t you just play at home? I do this to make money and more of it and I will step on your head to get it. “

“It’s fun to beat people up that’s honestly why I do this for decades. They do it for the chants, when they lose there’s always tomorrow. What are you talking about? That’s how I see it.”

“If I lose, if I’m not popular, if my merchandise doesn’t sell then I have no commercial value. If I didn’t have commercial value then I wouldn’t be standing here right now. But I’ve always been here so that proves my worth.”

“People say I’m dirty, pro wrestling fans don’t like to talk about money. The way I see it you can’t talk about money if you’ve never made any. People who make the least always say it’s not about money. That’s total BS. Then go ahead, take it from here, do it for free. That’s how I see it. They’re fans first then wrestlers.

“I don’t even want to see them wrestle in front of me. Ultimately, I don’t want them to stand in the same ring I do. And they still think the money comes from the owner… I run a business, I have employees, but the money doesn’t come from me. It comes from the customers. If they don’t get that money comes from fans and not the company then they are not wrestlers.”

And yes, this is a carny mentality, but it's also the exact opposite of The Miz saying 'I made all this money by sucking up to the big boss, doing everything by the book, and being the blandest sports entertainer in the world', and I can respect it so much more because of that. Minoru Suzuki is in it because he likes beating people up, not because he wants to make NJPW look good. In contrast, without WWE, Michael Mizanin would basically be nothing, because he personifies that whole mentality of 'the brand matters more than me, and I am willing to look like a stupid idiot fucker in front of the fans as long as I keep the WWE looking good'.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

This can't be real. I refuse to believe anyone is this detached from reality.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the best part about all these "but every morning I wake up to abuse and negative comments" is that with a 3rd party twitter app, like Tweetbot you can pull up a chronological list of all the @ that account has received. Usually there's nothing there until after the crying foul tweet.

Sometimes they really are put upon tho. but its usually "delete your account, go away you stink"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If the Miz retired tomorrow everyone would forget he exists by Friday.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who you talkin about. just kidding.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Having a normal one

https://twitter.com/JaimsVanDerBeek/status/1434955010094231554

https://twitter.com/JaimsVanDerBeek/status/1434989738046283776

https://twitter.com/AHispanicDisco/status/1434956394013286403

https://twitter.com/AHispanicDisco/status/1434971392072634368

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The goalposts will always move. It reminds me a lot of lib twitter, frankly.

And I guarantee that guy who wrote a novel about the cage match tactical realism loves Jim Cornette's pod.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/WrestleManiacUK/status/1434996149723729925?s=20

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vandar posted:

Darby is apparently appearing in the new Jackass movie so I'd wager a lot of people are going to know who he is soon.

He says he's not.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont know why there is a AEW doesnt push women narrative going on when britt and rosa are two of the biggest stars in the company and jade is one of the most aggressively pushed people they have right now.

then again these are just all crazy people

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shard posted:

I don't know who most musicians are.
I had someone accuse me of trolling once because I said I wouldn't be able to identify a Cardi B song if I heard it because I had no idea what she sounded like. His argument was that her music is "literally unavoidable even if you don't like it". Like nah my dude, it's really not hard to avoid pop. Who the hell is breaking down your front door and blasting Spotify Top 10 hits at you?

The first three words of that guy's bio are "Proud Indian Misogynist".

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

the CBR showed they have a several programs already going and set up more for the future

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lol, that VJ dude's Twitter bio starts with "Proud Indian Misogynist".

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

weekly font posted:

And I guarantee that guy who wrote a novel about the cage match tactical realism loves Jim Cornette's pod.

They all give themselves away with the verbiage. In the end it's just the same tired poo poo of people wanting to be worked like when they were young and dumb and applying selective scrutiny to things and having an arbitrary point on the "believability" meter where wrestling is acceptable even though deep down inside they know no matter how hard they believe they will never get worked like when they were a dumbass child and if they stopped caring they could just appreciate cool moves and dudes actually kicking the poo poo out of eachother.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
https://twitter.com/ra_romero88/status/1435002127508774914?s=21

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Some fans are really all about the brand over everything.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Man, there are probably at least 20 people in WWE right now who would love to be told "if you want to talk to your friends in AEW, let us know and we'll give you a free and clear release right now! that'll teach you!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TV Zombie posted:

Some fans are really all about the brand over everything.

What kicked off that whole thread

https://twitter.com/YaOnlyLivvOnce/status/1434696864264331265?s=20

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Looking at this guy's other tweets, I don't think he's calling Cole a traitor for leaving WWE but for kicking Jungle Boy instead. He seems like an excited fan who genuinely enjoyed the show and tweeted his thoughts.

The other two definitely belong in here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

AEW did Kiera Hogan dirty twice now.

(They might still let her get her poo poo in at some point soon at which point, I retract this post)

Same loving day, Hogan wins a match.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Hoss Corncave posted:

Looking at this guy's other tweets, I don't think he's calling Cole a traitor for leaving WWE but for kicking Jungle Boy instead. He seems like an excited fan who genuinely enjoyed the show and tweeted his thoughts.

The other two definitely belong in here.

It still belongs because Adam Cole is a loyal friend who forgave The Elite for poisoning him so he isn't a trator.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the nuclear salt at tweets Alvarez made while watching All Out are some all-timers, we've entered the "ruby/bryan/cole are all just ex-wwe talent" goalposts era

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
idk yall Adam Cole itinerant spice trader is a gimmick with legs

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The sleeper has awakened, BAYBAY

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

All the fakes are snakes

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Justin_Brett posted:

The sleeper has awakened, BAYBAY

"Cole has wares if you have coin BAY BAY!!!!"

*deafening pyro*

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's been deleted, but the sequencing of this guy's replies was the most rewarding experience I've had reading a comments section in a while

darrenswinloss.wordpress.com

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1435074568960417798

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Toxic Positivity

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Smiley posted:

By that person's own logical 99 percent of the WWE roster isn't a star, including all their current champions.

This is correct, only the brand is a star. That's the whole point of why they book like this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yo that dude is gonna end up on TV for smearing poop on the PC.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Look in my eyes what do you see?

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Toxic Positivity

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bix retweeted this. Sad to see a respected journalist turn into a Gabe truther :(

https://twitter.com/Alan4L/status/1434930512888537092

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bix still thinks the password recovery method of determining burners is foolproof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

xbilkis posted:

darrenswinloss.wordpress.com

What is it with wrestling fans and creating bargain basement useless versions of things that already exist?

Just go to cagematch