Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

black gulch is good, and

IronicDongz posted:

blighttown is genuinely one of the best zones in any souls game, by the way

thank you everyone for your understanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So I just learned about Vendrick's blessing and that seems almost pointless but pretty cool and I need to go and do that on my character with almost everything else done, now. I do appreciate that this game does seem to just cover all the eventualities.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Any area in a souls game that involves constantly being hit with poison / plague / toxic is the usually the worst place imo, but the worst area in DS2 is definitely iron passage, both because cool ranch smelty is a loving rear end in a top hat and because of the gauntlet you have to run to get to him with those slo-mo wizards. That run is far worse than running from the beginning of black gulch to the boss area.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Control Volume posted:

Huntsmans copse (and just about every other area in the game) had a bunch of personality injected into it with the SOTFS update. It was forgettable in vanilla but SOTFS has a knack for making even the blandest areas memorable

What does Scholar add to it? Off the top of my head, I remember a guaranteed Forlorn, they moved the invader in the second half be in a less dumb spot, and maybe the turbo hollow is new? That honestly doesn't mean much to me.

Ironically everyone's dumping on it but Shaded Woods is one where I feel like they actually finished the area and injected the personality it was sorely missing. (Not that I think it's *amazing* but at least it's in a more finished state.)

Simply Simon posted:

I don't like Tseldora after Congregation because of the many points of no return. Terrible level to fully explore.

Ooh, good point. Waaaay too many "jump to this one bespoke ledge to get a single item and if you gently caress it up you have to reset to bonfire" bits. Most of them are whatever, but one is an estus upgrade so you're punished for not being thorough.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

And then, after the misery of trying to get through the black gulch, theres this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0YxKs5O984

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

John Murdoch posted:

Ironically everyone's dumping on it but Shaded Woods is one where I feel like they actually finished the area and injected the personality it was sorely missing. (Not that I think it's *amazing* but at least it's in a more finished state.)

The woods themselves are nice - I feel the game is best when you have to battle the actual environment as well, which is why I like all swampy and wet bits in all the games - but the Ruins at the end are meh.

Is DS2 the only Souls where you can get attacked almost on top of a bonfire? I keep forgetting about the spiders in Brightstone bottom when I go to visit Ornifex. I think they may have even killed me once. I feel there's a couple bonfires like this.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

What does Scholar add to it? Off the top of my head, I remember a guaranteed Forlorn, they moved the invader in the second half be in a less dumb spot, and maybe the turbo hollow is new? That honestly doesn't mean much to me.

They also moved a necromancer to fire over the canyon (which means you can fire back), added a bunch of hanging dudes who may or may not pull themselves up to kill you, put a red dude in front of undead purgatory, and swapped in a giant basilisk underneath the middle bonfire. Its really light on changes compared to most areas but it feels more like an area that is trying to ambush and kill you, vs an area that has ambush enemies. And turbo hollow owns

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Elissimpark posted:

The woods themselves are nice - I feel the game is best when you have to battle the actual environment as well, which is why I like all swampy and wet bits in all the games - but the Ruins at the end are meh.

Is DS2 the only Souls where you can get attacked almost on top of a bonfire? I keep forgetting about the spiders in Brightstone bottom when I go to visit Ornifex. I think they may have even killed me once. I feel there's a couple bonfires like this.

Vanilla ds2 had a fun bonfire at the camp bonfire in tseldora, which used to be in one of the tents. On ng+ there was a boar right outside the tent that would charge in through the flaps while you were by the bonfire.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

codo27 posted:

And then, after the misery of trying to get through the black gulch, theres this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0YxKs5O984

I don't know if it's the way you played that caused AI to get all borked but you got 0 swing combos or dark explosions. That boss fight was completely hosed up :eyepop:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Control Volume posted:

They also moved a necromancer to fire over the canyon (which means you can fire back), added a bunch of hanging dudes who may or may not pull themselves up to kill you, put a red dude in front of undead purgatory, and swapped in a giant basilisk underneath the middle bonfire. Its really light on changes compared to most areas but it feels more like an area that is trying to ambush and kill you, vs an area that has ambush enemies. And turbo hollow owns

Undead Purgatory always had the invader guarding it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I guess my memory sucks rear end gently caress you rhats not huntsmans copse anyways

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I don't know if it's the way you played that caused AI to get all borked but you got 0 swing combos or dark explosions. That boss fight was completely hosed up :eyepop:

Maybe cause it was a really long session? With once or twice leaving the game idling for an hour or so. But I thought it was funny

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Working through Eleum Love at the moment - I think it's one of my favorite Souls areas. I like the unfreezing mechanic that means you get to explore it twice.

I hope whoever came up with Maldron the Assassin got a raise. That prick is easily the best NPC invader for all Souls games. Maybe even just NPC in general.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
how the hell

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Maybe a running jump with that one armor set that makes you glide? That or someone's got noclip turned on.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The games are filled with noclip-placed signs I thought

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

A lot of them are possible to get to, or require some kind of trickery with collisions and where messages go. There's a whole "valid ground" check it does that you can cheat sometimes.

One of the limitations of stuff like Augur of Darkness is that messages/bloodstains only recognize "valid ground" that was in the base game, so you can die on one of the new pathways through Heide's and it'll stick your bloodstain on the last spot you touched unmodded land.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh my. I'd conquered forest of fallen giants, the gutter, black gulch, heides, no mans wharf, bastille, belfry luna, grave of saints as far as I could tell though theres still a bunch of contraptions left untriggered. Where was I to go next? Couldn't figure it out.

I'd totally forgotten about the path in Majula beside the path back to things betwixt. :negative:

also, are there no mimics in DS2? Haven't found a single one yet

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

codo27 posted:

also, are there no mimics in DS2? Haven't found a single one yet

There is only one way to find out.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ha ha mimics? What are those? Definitely none of those in this game

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In DS3 the first chest you come across is a mimic. Is that better or worse than building trust first?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There's no soapstone keyword for mimicry in DS2 so there can't possibly be any mimics

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

So you know, the Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharros are areas designed for a specific PvP covenan that's about doing gauntlet runs, so most contraptions in those areas just open traps. The idea was you'd set up your own personal little trap run to try to kill players who'd get pulled into your world while in either area.

It's a bit like those PvP arena bits that Dark Souls keeps doing even though no one uses them when you can just fight on the Iron Keep bridge.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zesty posted:

In DS3 the first chest you come across is a mimic. Is that better or worse than building trust first?

I suppose that choice fits in DS3, where it feels like there's a 2:1 ratio of mimics to normal chests by the end of the game. I'm not complaining or anything, since like they must be operating under the assumption that everyone knows about the Lloyd's Talisman/Undead Hunter Charm trick and knows the tells well enough. It does make me wonder if anyone's done any deep lore dives on how the number of mimics in 3 relates to the end times.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nuns with Guns posted:

the Lloyd's Talisman/Undead Hunter Charm trick

the what now

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Gort posted:

the what now

*try using on chest*

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Huh, I didn't know that!

Also, I didn't realised there were visual tells - the chests in 1 and 3 obviously have the backwards chain loop and breathe - but I hadn't noticed anything in 2.

I usually just Toxic Mist anything suspicious.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's remarkable how paranoid people get about mimics. I mean, I fully understand why, but I've seen so many streams where every single chest gets a full minute of agonized inspection and then inevitably it's a normal chest with some dumb junk in it and they don't get the hint that maybe there aren't actually that many mimics to worry about.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 7, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Isn't just attacking them once enough to tell?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elissimpark posted:

Huh, I didn't know that!

Also, I didn't realised there were visual tells - the chests in 1 and 3 obviously have the backwards chain loop and breathe - but I hadn't noticed anything in 2.

I usually just Toxic Mist anything suspicious.

DS1 and 3 use the same chest models so it's easy to spot there. In 2, you can angle your camera to the crack in their lid and see the teeth. There are also some subtle differences with DS2 mimics because they have clasps on the front of the chest that normal chests don't have (except apparently one wooden chest they gave the mimic model for no reason.) You can see visual differences between normal chests and mimic chests in the images on this wiki page:

https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Mimic_(Dark_Souls_II)

Item Getter posted:

You don't have to fight them to get their items with the undead hunter charm. With 2 in particular, it's a bad idea to attack wooden chests since they break after being hit 3 times.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Item Getter posted:

yes, but attacking them thrice in only DS2 destroys the chest and converts its treasure to rubble

which is the best "gently caress you" design decision i've ever seen in a game, ngl, and another reason ds2 is the best souls game*

*bloodborne is the best soulsborne though

i've still never really bothered with the talisman/charm trick even though I knew about it. I end pretty much every run with mountains of consumables

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nuns with Guns posted:

You don't have to fight them to get their items with the undead hunter charm. With 2 in particular, it's a bad idea to attack wooden chests since they break after being hit 3 times.
so just hit them once instead of rolling your face across your controller

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

IronicDongz posted:

so just hit them once instead of rolling your face across your controller

God mom, I told you to stop giving me dark souls advice on the forums.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

f#a# posted:

yes, but attacking them thrice in only DS2 destroys the chest and converts its treasure to rubble

which is the best "gently caress you" design decision i've ever seen in a game, ngl, and another reason ds2 is the best souls game*

*bloodborne is the best soulsborne though

i've still never really bothered with the talisman/charm trick even though I knew about it. I end pretty much every run with mountains of consumables

Yeah, I'm aware of it but if you're careful to only attack once then no problem. Only times I have had wooden chests break is when fighting an enemy in close quarters near the chest.
On the other hand DS2 is a bit kinder than the other games since many of the chests are metal chests which can't be mimics (though they sometimes have traps in them)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Item Getter posted:

On the other hand DS2 is a bit kinder than the other games since many of the chests are metal chests which can't be mimics
:sickos:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You can also ask a chest if it's a mimic. They have to say if they're a mimic or it's entrapment.

Item Getter posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of it but if you're careful to only attack once then no problem. Only times I have had wooden chests break is when fighting an enemy in close quarters near the chest.
On the other hand DS2 is a bit kinder than the other games since many of the chests are metal chests which can't be mimics (though they sometimes have traps in them)

I think your confusing the general advice not to worry about breaking chests too much because all the really precious loot is in metal chests with general mimic advice there.... but um you're welcome to try sticking your shriveled jerky head in every metal box if you want.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

My favorite mimic is the one near the demon miniboss in the Catacombs in DS3.

If you aggro it from afar, it usually kicks the poo poo through the demon for you.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I haven't really played the game in half a year so if there's metal chest mimics I guess I forgot about them.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Elissimpark posted:

My favorite mimic is the one near the demon miniboss in the Catacombs in DS3.

If you aggro it from afar, it usually kicks the poo poo through the demon for you.

I tried that on my last run and the demon annihilated the mimic. Then the skeletons killed the demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ffs this whole time I knew there had to be some somewhere but I thought they were only possible in wooden chest form. Glad I've read up on it now.