Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trying to take a poll for a shows quality seems like an even lamer version of the box office argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I remember in the Disco thread when someone tried to use the box office argument before the show even premiered lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can we just ban this loving gimmickposter from the thread already? This is well beyond strike three at this point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can we just ban this loving gimmickposter from the thread already? This is well beyond strike three at this point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

lol that anyone who enjoys things is just a sycophant

Woah, did this thread get moved to The Book Barn without anyone realizing it? Are we gonna get swarmed by its resident cult of shithead librarians and English majors now?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Woah, did this thread get moved to Cinema Discusso without anyone realizing it? Are we gonna get swarmed by its resident cult of Rich Evans wannabes and English majors now?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Joke's on you, a lot of those people are the same asswipes I was talking about too :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek Megathread: Anhedonia and Misanthropy

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It is okay to both like things and dislike things. It gets weird when you get mad that other people do the opposite of you.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

LDS is pretty solid and all other modern trek is poo poo btw

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Peachfart posted:

It is okay to both like things and dislike things. It gets weird when you get mad that other people do the opposite of you.

LDS is pretty solid and all other modern trek is poo poo btw

Oh yeah, everyone including you is wrong and I'm the only one right, that goes without saying. Like, it's just assumed at this point. ;)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Peachfart posted:

Except when those people are literal Nazis and other virulent right wing assholes, in that case gently caress them, get mad at those vile pricks all you want.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

you have been found guilty of the crime of enjoying a thing that i think is dumb

your sentence is an exceedingly long series of posts

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I don't mind people not liking a thing, hell I mostly hate watch DIS and come here to read the hot takes. But I also don't need to convince people who really like DIS that they're wrong. We live in the golden era of television im sure there's something else you could watch and enjoy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't mind people not liking a thing, hell I mostly hate watch DIS and come here to read the hot takes. But I also don't need to convince people who really like DIS that they're wrong. We live in the golden era of television im sure there's something else you could watch and enjoy.

No, I'm a shriveled husk of a man filled only with bitterness and ashes. I spend half my waking life intentionally consuming media that I hate and the other half posting about it

Also my face is a butt and my voice is a fart

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's fine to not like DIS (or PIC or LDS) but acting like it's a genuine insult to the core essence of Trek will always be some huffing-farts bullshit

The same franchise gave us "These Are The Voyages" and "Code of Honor" and "Threshold"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There is nothing Gene would like more than to watch those gelatos gently caress on a fallen tree while another strokes their horn nearby

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

There is nothing Gene would like more than to watch those gelatos gently caress on a fallen tree while another strokes their horn nearby
:hai:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Eagerly awaiting the updates to Memory Alpha detailing the masturbatory habits of mugato cucks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cross-Section posted:

It's fine to not like DIS (or PIC or LDS) but acting like it's a genuine insult to the core essence of Trek will always be some huffing-farts bullshit

The same franchise gave us "These Are The Voyages" and "Code of Honor" and "Threshold"

otoh we can all name a handful of episodes from each series that suck and feel out of place in the canon but with disco and Picard it's more generally *gestures vaguely at entire series*

There's nothing sacred about Trek but there are obvious qualitative differences in the newer live action series compared to the older ones

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like the cartoon spaceship show. I also like the live action ones, even the one where that one woman is crying in every scene.

I only watched a few Enterprise episodes prior to the new shows, and Discovery made me go back and watch all of DS9, and I'm watching Voyager now too. In general, this franchise is pretty good!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nichael posted:

I like the cartoon spaceship show. I also like the live action ones, even the one where that one woman is crying in every scene.

I only watched a few Enterprise episodes prior to the new shows, and Discovery made me go back and watch all of DS9, and I'm watching Voyager now too. In general, this franchise is pretty good!

a very radical take for this, the trek thread!!!!!

(i agree tho)

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

this is impossible

all of trek is bad

i've watched all of them at least 3x

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mllaneza posted:

This. Whoever wrote that got the TNG era at a very fundamental level. It's also not a story that any of the TNG-Era shows would have shown us, so it's a big plus for LDS.

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Oh no, cartoon violence! Also they did turn it down 99%, I too was put off by the initial s1 LDS trailer where mariner slices open boimler's leg. Season 2 is much better.
Which is
Surprisingly
A totally Trek thing to do.

Arglebargle III posted:

This is just ignoring the straight to camera PSA message where he was like "Be brave and honest in your relationships because you don't have as much time as you think you do!" It's not as mean and nasty as you make it out to be.

Mr poopybutthole being the comedic relief, criticizing the Main Protagonist (making him 'evil' as per same episode where 'evil morty' explains that his criticism of rick is what makes him 'evil') devalues that scene for the masses the show laughs at. It's there for you and me but...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm always reminded when this conversation (constantly) comes up of the bit where they showed Rick trying to do the 'I'm too smart and special for this' at the family therapist and she just calmly wiped the floor with that argument and he had no comeback. I haven't watched it for a few seasons but I always seemed to me very clear on the 'He's a bad person' side.

In any case, though, people love to compare lower decks to R&M but I very much don't see it, occasional dip into shock-gratuitous imagery aside.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Rick is always shown to be the bad person (objectively), yet a lot of people still associate themselves with rick. Much like family guy that gets hated for all the bigotry and idiotic jokes but in fact is exposing the said bigotry and idiocy with characters showing common sense and voice of reason that are being laughed at in the show. But in the case of R&M it is easier for more people to want to associate with rick. "Much misanthrope, many genius", "Smart people are always depressed and nihilist" etc facebook style, if you get my drift.

And coming back on topic, LDS and R&M have nothing in common outside of 'sci-fi cartoon that is not for kids'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I'm always reminded when this conversation (constantly) comes up of the bit where they showed Rick trying to do the 'I'm too smart and special for this' at the family therapist and she just calmly wiped the floor with that argument and he had no comeback. I haven't watched it for a few seasons but I always seemed to me very clear on the 'He's a bad person' side.

In any case, though, people love to compare lower decks to R&M but I very much don't see it, occasional dip into shock-gratuitous imagery aside.

I don't think it is a good comparison, but the closest point of overlap I can see is they're trying to do a similar thing with Mariner as Rick - she's the extremely competent badass but it's a surface cover for deep underlying insecurity and personality issues. You are supposed to be torn between rooting for her and wanting her to develop.

Except they don't really pull it off - Mariner isn't consistently competent at all and is utterly unlikable, to the point where they just pulled off an episode where the premise was that it is plausible Boimler and Rutherford would stop wanting to be friends with her at the drop of a hat. R&M is very careful to walk a tightrope where Rick does a bad thing and then a good thing, and the rest of the characters don't forgive him for the bad thing. The character saves the day heroically for the audience but is not spared the consequences for his relationships with the other characters. Mariner is just a failchild who has crashed out of every posting she's had until she hit rock bottom on the ship captained by her mother, who shields her from the consequences of her continual fuckups. None of the other characters should like her and I think that's the core insincerity of the show that clashes with the wider earnest sincerity it has for everything trek.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erulisse posted:

Rick is always shown to be the bad person (objectively), yet a lot of people still associate themselves with rick. Much like family guy that gets hated for all the bigotry and idiotic jokes but in fact is exposing the said bigotry and idiocy with characters showing common sense and voice of reason that are being laughed at in the show. But in the case of R&M it is easier for more people to want to associate with rick. "Much misanthrope, many genius", "Smart people are always depressed and nihilist" etc facebook style, if you get my drift.

And coming back on topic, LDS and R&M have nothing in common outside of 'sci-fi cartoon that is not for kids'.

Hell, the latest season goes well out of its way to beat the audience over the head in no uncertain terms that Rick is a self-centered, self-destructive, and generally terrible person.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Alchenar posted:

Mariner is just a failchild who has crashed out of every posting she's had until she hit rock bottom on the ship captained by her mother, who shields her from the consequences of her continual fuckups.

My read of her character is that she's terrified of going soft or becoming uncool by rising through the ranks like her parents did, so she self-sabotages and gets transferred off before anybody can start to rely on her, but now that she's pulled that stunt so many times and has been assigned to her mom's ship that tactic doesn't work any more, and now that she's finally been on a posting long enough to make serious friends (and not just people who respect her from afar because they think she can kick their rear end) they're getting concerned about her behavior

I don't know if she's likeable but I definitely find her sympathetic, I've known a fair number of people who deliberately sabotaged themselves so they wouldn't have to face the pressures of responsibility or adulthood

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Chairman posted:

My read of her character is that she's terrified of going soft or becoming uncool by rising through the ranks like her parents did, so she self-sabotages and gets transferred off before anybody can start to rely on her, but now that she's pulled that stunt so many times and has been assigned to her mom's ship that tactic doesn't work any more, and now that she's finally been on a posting long enough to make serious friends (and not just people who respect her from afar because they think she can kick their rear end) they're getting concerned about her behavior

I don't know if she's likeable but I definitely find her sympathetic, I've known a fair number of people who deliberately sabotaged themselves so they wouldn't have to face the pressures of responsibility or adulthood

Oh there's definitely an element of sympathy you can have for the character (as above R&M is heavily about Rick being intensely unlikable as a person but at the same time somewhat sympathetic). I don't think Lower Decks really knows what it wants you to feel about Mariner though - they tease a bit of the vulnerability and self-sabotage but all too often stories wrap round to a conclusion of 'actually Mariner is awesome and doesn't need to change'. It's unclear why any of the rest of the main trio are actually friends with Mariner, the show just starts them off in that state (well actually the show starts with Mariner being awful and a bully to Boimler and him going along with it). She also just does not suffer consequences for her self-sabotage in terms of her relationships with the other characters - the show just resorts to dragging her off grinning to the brig rather than say, have to have a real conversation with Tendi about how loving up her mission showed a lack of respect for her as a person.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Alchenar posted:

It's unclear why any of the rest of the main trio are actually friends with Mariner, the show just starts them off in that state (well actually the show starts with Mariner being awful and a bully to Boimler and him going along with it).

I think it's clear enough, even if it's pretty dysfunctional: Boimler is too awkward to get along with anyone else and just appreciates the attention even if it's negative, Tendi wants to be liked by everyone and feels more comfortable when she's being told what to do, and Rutherford just goes along to get along because he likes Boimler and Tendi and he's mostly just there to do his own engineering thing

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 7, 2021

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Meetings at the speed of thought would still be pretty quick. No misunderstandings and rambling arguments, because everyone understands exactly what everyone else is trying to say. All the evidence and reasoning is shared flawlessly.

I suspect involuntary assimilation was their downfall. Once you start hooking up large numbers of people who don't share your values to the hivemind, the values of the hivemind itself will inevitably start to drift. They had a perfectly equatable collective, but then for centuries nearly everyone they plugged in were from hierarchical cultures. Billions of minds going "but what if benign dictators were good though?"

In their first appearance, Troi actually makes this argument

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Facebook Aunt posted:

Meetings at the speed of thought would still be pretty quick. No misunderstandings and rambling arguments, because everyone understands exactly what everyone else is trying to say. All the evidence and reasoning is shared flawlessly.

I suspect involuntary assimilation was their downfall. Once you start hooking up large numbers of people who don't share your values to the hivemind, the values of the hivemind itself will inevitably start to drift. They had a perfectly equatable collective, but then for centuries nearly everyone they plugged in were from hierarchical cultures. Billions of minds going "but what if benign dictators were good though?"

The Borg really should have required that everyone complete a course of therapy before being allowed to touch the collective lmao

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kesper North posted:

The Borg really should have required that everyone complete a course of therapy before being allowed to touch the collective lmao

JUST A LITTLE BACKGROUND FIRST, TELL ME A BIT ABOUT WHAT YOUR HOMEWORLD WAS LIKE WHILE YOUR SPECIES WAS DEVELOPING?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lost another cube after they all chugged horse medicine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Your psychological and pathological distinctiveness will be added to our own

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh, so that's what was in that pathogen that future Janeway injected into herself that hosed up the Borg when she was assimilated at the end of Voyager: Ivermectin. Lots and lots of Ivermectin.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, the latest season goes well out of its way to beat the audience over the head in no uncertain terms that Rick is a self-centered, self-destructive, and generally terrible person.

The big format-twisting reveal was that Rick was such a colossal dweeb that he closed off any alternate reality where he wasn't the smartest being in the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bloop posted:

A lot of the criticisms of it hinge, at least in part, on it's being sufficiently Trekky
Can you provide any examples?

The Bloop posted:

The other common criticisms are:

Some bizarre thesis about how things can't be funny unless the comedy follows a particular joke algorithm format. I don't even know what to do with this one other than laugh at it, despite it also not being a "Joke"
Who said this?

The Bloop posted:

And

It doesn't "stand on it's own". Well neither does The Inner Light, In the Pale Moonlight, or one could frankly argue DS9 generally, as it's an echo and explicit counterpoint to TNG in a lot of ways.
This seems like a deliberate misrepresentation of the complaint that it relies almost exclusively on references. I don't think anyone expected it to be aimed at people who aren't familiar with Star Trek?