Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/UhALJ0M.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Harry_Potato posted:

Technically the vibrator arm isn't load bearing, but we get the drift. Good thing we wired her bedroom with 3 phase 480.

surely all those volts aren't necessary?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I’ve got a manual transmission car that often doesn’t like to start, so when I stop by the side of the road I often leave it running and in neutral, relying only in the parking brake which is weak and useless. One day this will be me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Buy a chock block and a rope.

Or adjust your parking brake. There's probably a youtube how-to video about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Buy a chock block and a rope.

Or adjust your parking brake. There's probably a youtube how-to video about it.

You also need a drill. Drill holes in the trunk and tie the rope to the blocks and have them hang behind the tires. Then when you stop on the side of a mountain, you just release the rope, which lowers the the blocks and stops your car from rolling.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's extra steps.

You're getting a little more Red Green with it, which is fine, but I'm a lazier man than Red Green and will use what works.

Also that setup would need two blocks on ropes, in front of, and behind the wheel. One for uphill parking, one for down. You only need to chock one wheel for it to be effective anyhow, just the right side for the incline.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Cojawfee posted:

You also need a drill. Drill holes in the trunk and tie the rope to the blocks and have them hang behind the tires. Then when you stop on the side of a mountain, you just release the rope, which lowers the the blocks and stops your car from rolling.

I think this only works with 400 lb blocks of concrete.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I think this only works with 400 lb blocks of concrete.

No, it should still work as long as a tire needs to drive over it because then it needs to lift the car the height of the chock block to continue.

Haven't you seen Top Gear before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aStGnWN-i9o

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Boba Pearl posted:

lmao if you just don't skip to the last page read the two or three posts there to see if you can say something funny, and then mash reply if you can think of something.

Why would you skip any vids? Osha thread vid from month ago is still funny and timeless.
Just tldr the boring commentaries.

Read from the page 1 onward, dammit!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/cd9C7bR.mp4

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
6y old girl died in a Colorado amusement ride that drops 110ft into a mineshaft.
I can only assume someone lost their 'You must be this tall' sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj1yp2nZnqg

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

what

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I haven't been to an amusement park in a few years, but this is a much more pointed waiver than I'm used to.

quote:

“INJURIES/AND OR DEATH may result” and “THE UNDERSIGNED hereby ASSUME ALL RISKS,” plus another sentence that reads, “THE UNDERSIGNED understand and agree that a seat belt IS IN NO WAY A GUARANTEE OF SAFETY.”

also

quote:

“We don’t put shoulder restraints on the side of your head which makes it a little bit more scary, a little bit more exciting.”

https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solvers/deadly-amusement-ride-designed-without-shoulder-restraints-problem-solvers-investigation/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

I’ve got a manual transmission car that often doesn’t like to start, so when I stop by the side of the road I often leave it running and in neutral, relying only in the parking brake which is weak and useless. One day this will be me.

Only park on steep hills so you can roll-start it

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

I have a fear of heights I can usually deal with, but loving NOPE.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm surprised the metal feet don't get smaller and smaller as an additional 'gently caress you'. Maybe they do and the video just doesn't show it!

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm surprised the metal feet don't get smaller and smaller as an additional 'gently caress you'. Maybe they do and the video just doesn't show it!

Last third of the bridge they are only painted cardboard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

Now and then, two left feet after another.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ola posted:

Now and then, two left feet after another.
Or none at all for a while. "This is where Jesus carries you"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/wna6axj.mp4

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Wedding rings in tough materials can be OSHA right?

Inconel. Couldn't resist a ring made from rocket engines.

I promise not to wear it in the workshop, thread. My ED Nurse friend has confirmed they can cut it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Wedding rings in tough materials can be OSHA right?

Inconel. Couldn't resist a ring made from rocket engines.

I promise not to wear it in the workshop, thread. My ED Nurse friend has confirmed they can cut it.

with super hard and uncuttable rings, you can shatter them pretty easily. Take a standard vice grip, close the grip over the ring, and tighten til the ring is comfortably gripped. Release the vice grips then tighten another 1/4 turn or so. When you close the grips again over the ring it will shatter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There should be a term for drivers that encounter a situation where it is plain to see they shouldn't enter, but then they realize they have to do some stuff on the other side of the situation so they just calmly and deliberately drive into it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just hope that's sewage.
(and not fuel)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just stumbled across a youtube channel whose gimmick basically seems to be "drop heavy things from very high up on other things". Which, you know, fair enough. But then the first thing they do in the video I click is this:

https://i.imgur.com/QkUri24.mp4

Yes, it's soft ground and the object is heavy enough not to be moved much laterally by wind, but still. That's like one slip, stumble, or bounce away from a very very messy end.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Maybe I'm wrong but that ending bit looks pretty CGI.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I just hope that's sewage.
(and not fuel)

Looks like heavy oil.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Boba Pearl posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but that ending bit looks pretty CGI.

Nah, the How Ridiculous guys always have multiple camera angles and slow mo shots, and they've dropped a wide enough range of things into things (bowling ball into trampoline, giant dart into bulletproof glass, axe blade into giant glass ball) that they'd have to have a very dedicated CGI team.

They have one video where they spent six days throwing basketballs off a 200m cliff trying to make a basket. They're overly enthusiastic and not as safety conscious as they should be (they accidentally kept burning their clothes with the giant glass ball in one video), but they're actually doing that stuff.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Sure, they could slip, but that tower is specifically made for dropping stuff off of and the ground is prepared so that stuff doesn't bounce. For that you need a trampoline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZV6Hb7-d4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-hiESBis0

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Mr. Nice! posted:

with super hard and uncuttable rings, you can shatter them pretty easily. Take a standard vice grip, close the grip over the ring, and tighten til the ring is comfortably gripped. Release the vice grips then tighten another 1/4 turn or so. When you close the grips again over the ring it will shatter.

Not inconel, it's fairly ductile for its hardness. I think you're thinking of metal composites like tungsten carbide.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:slick:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Not inconel, it's fairly ductile for its hardness. I think you're thinking of metal composites like tungsten carbide.

This is why I feel a little antsy about my titanium wedding ring. I don't wear it when I'm doing workshop type stuff but I do worry about what would need to happen if I ever injure myself on that finger.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Nth Doctor posted:

This is why I feel a little antsy about my titanium wedding ring. I don't wear it when I'm doing workshop type stuff but I do worry about what would need to happen if I ever injure myself on that finger.

What kind of Ti? If it's a metallic alloy and not a carbide it won't shatter easily.

If you wear a ring that isn't clearly gold or silver, expect it to be cut off using a diamond wheel.

E:soak your ring in wd40 in a 250 deg oven for a week and hit it with a hammer. Let me know if it breaks.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 7, 2021

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Just LOL if y'all ain't using titanium wedding rings for that once in a lifetime opportunity to hold open a hydraulic pressure door as the water's rising long enough to rescue your mates.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Looks like next Fast and Furious being filmed

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Erulisse posted:

Looks like next Fast and Furious being filmed

the Slippery and the Peeved

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Panning over to the tunnel entrance was just :discourse:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

What kind of Ti? If it's a metallic alloy and not a carbide it won't shatter easily.

If you wear a ring that isn't clearly gold or silver, expect it to be cut off using a diamond wheel.

E:soak your ring in wd40 in a 250 deg oven for a week and hit it with a hammer. Let me know if it breaks.

The guy's website from which we ordered it is a bit light on details, but I seem to recall it was machined from a solid hunk of Ti. A diamond wheel I suppose would do it, though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DandyLion posted:

Just LOL if y'all ain't using titanium wedding rings for that once in a lifetime opportunity to hold open a hydraulic pressure door as the water's rising long enough to rescue your mates.

bypassing critical safety features is not very OSHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Empty Sandwich posted:

the Slippery and the Peeved

:golfclap: