Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

An ideologically motivated piece in The Economist?! What has the world come to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gynovore posted:

Comedy option: Rogan never had Covid, he was lying so that he could claim :horsedrugs: cured him.

I mean, he did look like Thanos in that video

Just like a gray old shriveled up plum

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

brugroffil posted:

An ideologically motivated piece in The Economist?! What has the world come to?

I for one, am shocked at such an accusation against this fine, unbiased publication.
https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1433444871239610369

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what is The Economist's motivation to orchestrate a "smear job" against China

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are only a few narrative frames that most institutions can handle when understanding the world, and “righteous America against its mighty rival [x]!” is one of them.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

China has more or less made companies like Alibaba follow the orders of the state.

Would the Economist like stuff like that?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Buckwheat Sings posted:

China has more or less made companies like Alibaba follow the orders of the state.

Would the Economist like stuff like that?

I bet they would, I bet they have all kind of filthy fantasies

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

“Classical liberals must understand what they are up against and fight back.”

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, he did look like Thanos in that video

Just like a gray old shriveled up plum

When I met the man after a comedy store show he looked like a plum.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Petey posted:

MIT has been running a lab to test imported N95s/KN95s for the state to see which ones actually live up to their claims

https://news.mit.edu/2020/testing-kn95-respirators-rutledge-health-0430
https://news.mit.edu/2020/massachusetts-emergency-response-ppe-0609
https://news.mit.edu/2020/mit-lincoln-laboratory-tests-verify-if-uncertified-n95-masks-are-effective-0513https://affoa.org/covid-19/

I wrote to the prof running the testing about airpops, which I've posted about in here before. here's something he wrote back:

sharing for the insight re: electrostatic filtration mechanisms. their lab is a few buildings over from my office so i dropped off some airpops the other day for testing.

they've also publicly released results for all their tests of various KN95 masks (including some thread favorites like powecoms) here: https://www.mass.gov/doc/kn95-respirator-test-results/download.

see more here: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ppe-testing-and-vaccine-supply-resources-during-covid-19

This is awesome (on both your parts). Great to see work like this.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

When I met the man after a comedy store show he looked like a plum.

Colloidal silver is a hell of a drug.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

jetz0r posted:

I for one, am shocked at such an accusation against this fine, unbiased publication.
https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1433444871239610369

That piece takes a decent idea and then warps it to heavily imply "Maybe we should allow insane Trumpists to be insane and not judge them so much?"

I really hate how the default for all of politics starts with the basis of So of course all Republicans are unchanging irrational fascist monsters, but Democrats could be better if...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bel Shazar posted:

So I’m not claiming anything except that sounds a whole lot like ‘I’m not going to help protect the immunocompromised if nobody else is’, but that’s what that sounds like.

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. The contribution I can make to public health by staying home and not doing anything for another... however-many months, is basically minimal if no one else does anything. I did that from November 2020 to August 2021 -- I took a leave of absence from work, and it pretty much set my career back by at least a year and meant that I had to pay out of my own pocket for retraining, and because it was my choice to not work in what I perceived as an unsafe situation, I was not eligible for government financial support. I followed all the rules, I diligently masked wherever I went including places I wasn't required to, I saw maybe a total of three people socially the whole time, mostly outdoors.

I'm not doing it again on my own. If the government says "right, we have to do that again, so everyone's going to be doing it and there will be consequences for those who break the rules," then, fine. But this time I'm not sitting at home while life goes on for everyone else, and loving rodeos get exemptions from what meager restrictions we do have at this point because it's convenient for the current provincial government politically speaking. Yeah, it's selfish, and it means I could be contributing to further spread, but at some point I need to start putting myself first when I realize that, no matter what I do individually, COVID is going to gently caress over this province because we haven't taken it seriously, and we will continue to not take it seriously.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MadJackal posted:

That piece takes a decent idea and then warps it to heavily imply "Maybe we should allow insane Trumpists to be insane and not judge them so much?"

I really hate how the default for all of politics starts with the basis of So of course all Republicans are unchanging irrational fascist monsters, but Democrats could be better if...

What I got from it is "social justice/equity thinkers too frequently reach the conclusion that holding people to a double standard is actually a-okay if just handicaps the right people, and trying to fix broken systems through treating egalitarianism (especially legal egalitarianism) as a flaw and not a feature is going to enable populists to do so much worse." While I don't agree with every word and phrase used, it does acknowledge the class war to some extent ("[Elites] engineered America’s meritocracy to favour people like them.") while at the same time making me question which office this article came from because some of it does seem woefully out of touch with the US while talking about it almost exclusively.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. The contribution I can make to public health by staying home and not doing anything for another... however-many months, is basically minimal if no one else does anything. I did that from November 2020 to August 2021 -- I took a leave of absence from work, and it pretty much set my career back by at least a year and meant that I had to pay out of my own pocket for retraining, and because it was my choice to not work in what I perceived as an unsafe situation, I was not eligible for government financial support. I followed all the rules, I diligently masked wherever I went including places I wasn't required to, I saw maybe a total of three people socially the whole time, mostly outdoors.

I'm not doing it again on my own. If the government says "right, we have to do that again, so everyone's going to be doing it and there will be consequences for those who break the rules," then, fine. But this time I'm not sitting at home while life goes on for everyone else, and loving rodeos get exemptions from what meager restrictions we do have at this point because it's convenient for the current provincial government politically speaking. Yeah, it's selfish, and it means I could be contributing to further spread, but at some point I need to start putting myself first when I realize that, no matter what I do individually, COVID is going to gently caress over this province because we haven't taken it seriously, and we will continue to not take it seriously.

I'm lucky that I'm in Quebec and my employer transitioned to Work From Home in April as reports started getting bad. Even though we now have vaccine passports and one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, I'm still working from home and I only chanced meeting up with some friends for the first time in 16 months this weekend because the vaccine passport was in effect and I could walk to the venue without taking public transportation.

However in November I'll need to go back to the office to progress my career and... yeah, unfortunatley that's how it is. Hopefully by then Quebec is at 90% vaccination (currently we just crossed 80% of eligible pop vaccinated). But having to chance a breakthrough infection because of career choice is annoying but an unfortunate necessity because the employer will no longer be supporting WFH.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Set the federal income tax rate at 0% for 2022 for anyone who gets vaccinated starting today.

Would be way cheaper than what we have already done and a drop in the bucket in the overall budget.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

cr0y posted:

Set the federal income tax rate at 0% for 2022 for anyone who gets vaccinated starting today.

Would be way cheaper than what we have already done and a drop in the bucket in the overall budget.

Nah.

Set it at 0% for anyone who is fully vaccinated right now, and increase it every week. Along with an increase in all non-vaccinated people's rates to make up the difference.

A lot of these far right chud assholes would lose their poo poo at the idea of anyone getting ahead of them in any way, and the knowledge that delaying their vaccination would increase this, ahem, "disparity" would drive them towards getting vaxxed right fast.

I can dream, can't I?

Also, why in the world would we want to punish the people who made the right choice early?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

Not for nothing, but self care is a way better reason than everyone else is doing it…

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bel Shazar posted:

Not for nothing, but self care is a way better reason than everyone else is doing it…

Well, I mean, I'm still not going to crowded public events or going to bars and restaurants, but at this point I consider "self-care" to involve... going to work and progressing my career, and seeing my friends and family on a regular basis, even if that puts me at a slightly higher risk of contracting COVID. I still wear a mask and take precautions, but not to the extent I did, and I don't want to back because even if it meant I was safer from COVID, it left me feeling lonely and bored because I ended up sitting in my apartment watching Netflix for 7 months as the world basically continued on around me. Pre-vaccine, I think that was the right choice for my safety. After the vaccine, the risk profile shifts a lot and I think it's reasonable to balance other factors in one's life against the now much-reduced risk of COVID for myself personally.

I do think more restrictions are advisable to maintain public health in general (for those groups who are particularly vulnerable) but I also have to accept that there's only so much I can do on my own. Masking? Absolutely. That's something I can do to protect myself and others. Avoiding indoor dining and going to crowded events? Yeah, I think that's still prudent, I'm doing that and I'll continue to do it until things improve significantly. But I'm not quitting my job for another year to stay home, as everyone else goes on with their lives. That has a downside too.

Imagine that smoking were still allowed in bars, and I still smoked. If I'm sitting in a bar that's filled with people smoking, is my decision to go outside to smoke going to help anyone else? No, everyone in the bar is still breathing secondhand smoke from all the other smokers, and all I've done is inconvenience myself. There are some things that can't be done through just wishing that a bunch of people all spontaneously make the correct choice.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 7, 2021

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Your risk profile against being hospitalized or dying from COVID are definitely reduced post-vaccination but I'm not ready to risk my career or long term health prospects on the unknowns of Long COVID. If Long COVID is e.g. a 2-5% risk for my age group from any COVID infection, I'm absolutely not okay with that. There are some nasty things being bundled in the long-term consequences of COVID and we're only aware of the ones that make themselves overwhelmingly apparent i.e. "brain fog", fatigue, or loss of taste. It simply doesn't align with how I employ protective measures in the rest of my life to constantly risk it, either. I don't put on a seatbelt with the intent of checking whether or not it works, the idea is to avoid having an accident to begin with.

Add to all of that, I'm also not willing to contribute to any amount of spread so long as any portion of the populace is without the option to get vaccinated.

This is, of course, up to every individual person because we live in an enduring mess but I'd appreciate if the rest of the world (employers, namely, but all of the other systems eager to pretend this is over, too) understood my point of view and that, say, remote work is a win-win in a ton of cases and that the barriers to collaboration are basically non-existent in the era of one-click video calls. My stance is that I can't un-get COVID, and it feels absolutely asinine to be risking any chance of getting it to go sit in an office with my door closed doing precisely what I could have done at home without the commute or sharing air with people wearing masks that constantly fall down to their chin.

If the new thing is going to be "Living with COVID", then everything needs to accept that that only loosely resembles 2019 at best.

PT6A posted:

Imagine that smoking were still allowed in bars, and I still smoked. If I'm sitting in a bar that's filled with people smoking, is my decision to go outside to smoke going to help anyone else? No, everyone in the bar is still breathing secondhand smoke from all the other smokers, and all I've done is inconvenience myself. There are some things that can't be done through just wishing that a bunch of people all spontaneously make the correct choice.

My thing about this is that smoking isn't allowed in bars because it's universally recognized that cigarettes cause health problems, and so a previous version of this country decided people shouldn't smoke indoors in public. That aside, I get the point of your metaphor here but you're basically describing sunk cost fallacy and this is no indictment on you in particular but it's one of humanity's grossest instincts. It's like the exact same line of thought that leads to littering "well there's garbage everywhere already, it won't hurt if I throw slightly more garbage on the ground". I'd really rather always be the person carrying a bag of garbage out of the camp site instead, even if it means I'm carrying what other people were too lazy to. I get that people can't let their lives pass them as others selfishly "live it up" to everyone's detriment, but it would really do me better mentally if I didn't have people I regarded as sensible in my life advocating for surrendering to the pandemic entirely out of nihilism.

Everything anymore feels like a compromise between what would be sensible to do and everything else on the spectrum, with each voice given equal consideration for no particular reason. When we compromise between the viewpoints of "No unnecessary death", "Some unnecessary death" and "Mass unnecessary death" we somehow seem to wind up halfway between the latter two because that's where the money is in the near term and quarterlies need to go up. That makes me more miserable than anything, staying home is easy compared to accepting that.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 7, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If I could fly a plane from home, that'd be a very different situation, but work-from-home simply doesn't exist for all jobs.

I am worried about the possibility of a breakthrough case and/or long-COVID, and I'm disheartened by the fact that we're all put in this situation where we have to make a no-win choice individually, but it is what it is. I can advocate for better public health policy -- and I do -- and I can take reasonable steps to protect myself and others -- and I do -- but there's a limit to how far I think it's reasonable to go with that on one's own. Looking at what's going on, we're never going to defeat this thing. I don't think it's impossible, I just believe that our governments will refuse to do the needful, so at some point I have to decide between being a shut-in for the rest of my life, and taking a calculated risk with precautions and vaccinations.

Maybe it's because I took it too seriously the first time around -- I followed every rule, and went above and beyond to keep myself and the greater community safe -- and what I got for it was disappointment, loneliness, boredom, and the government rushing headlong into a fourth wave having learned gently caress all from the past 18 months. I did not drive a car for over half a year. The first time I went further than a block from my apartment in 7 months was to go to the pharmacy and get a vaccine. What was it all for? Why should I do that again?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
If Biden really gave a poo poo, all he would have to do is modify the Social Security rules so that anyone who is eligible for vaccination, refuses it, then catches Covid, is not eligible for any disability. This would send Cletus and Lurleen running to the nearest Walgreen in ten seconds flat. Nothing gets between a redneck and his disability check.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The thing with all these methods of trying to cajole people into vaccination without outright requiring it to be able to fully participate in public spaces is that it sets awful precedents that could haunt us for decades or longer, whereas requiring vaccinations for things has a long history around the world and has basically never been seen a problem until right now.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

PT6A posted:

If I could fly a plane from home, that'd be a very different situation, but work-from-home simply doesn't exist for all jobs.

I am worried about the possibility of a breakthrough case and/or long-COVID, and I'm disheartened by the fact that we're all put in this situation where we have to make a no-win choice individually, but it is what it is. I can advocate for better public health policy -- and I do -- and I can take reasonable steps to protect myself and others -- and I do -- but there's a limit to how far I think it's reasonable to go with that on one's own. Looking at what's going on, we're never going to defeat this thing. I don't think it's impossible, I just believe that our governments will refuse to do the needful, so at some point I have to decide between being a shut-in for the rest of my life, and taking a calculated risk with precautions and vaccinations.

Maybe it's because I took it too seriously the first time around -- I followed every rule, and went above and beyond to keep myself and the greater community safe -- and what I got for it was disappointment, loneliness, boredom, and the government rushing headlong into a fourth wave having learned gently caress all from the past 18 months. I did not drive a car for over half a year. The first time I went further than a block from my apartment in 7 months was to go to the pharmacy and get a vaccine. What was it all for? Why should I do that again?

My point wasn't so much that everyone should work remote even when that wouldn't make sense, it's that a version of flying on a plane safely could theoretically exist and doesn't look anything like what it did in 2019 or does right now but it would also probably be incompatible with the "cram as many people as possible into every inch of the plane" mindset driven by profits and operational costs.

As a secondary consideration, part of that would also be cutting down on non-essential travel, which dovetails with my point about remote work. The frivolous, pointless, business trip could absolutely be an essential casualty of the pandemic.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the surrender has to be absolute, but that's the path of least resistance and we're finding out right now why that isn't going to work. The question remains whether or not we acknowledge it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 7, 2021

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
trust me you guys do not want long Covid. my dad had a seizure and had to go to the hospital and he came back with it, immediately infecting my mom and I. i'm tired as all gently caress all the time. and my brain no work good anymore. this is without major symptoms that require hospitalization by the way

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DeeplyConcerned posted:

trust me you guys do not want long Covid. my dad had a seizure and had to go to the hospital and he came back with it, immediately infecting my mom and I. i'm tired as all gently caress all the time. and my brain no work good anymore. this is without major symptoms that require hospitalization by the way

After Covid I had mild brain fog and exhaustion for the next few months until I got the vaxx. You might want to max titters a big load of moderna and see if it helps

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Is it ok for me to call a local business and ask if all the employees are vaccinated. I only really want to go somewhere where that is the case.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Is it ok for me to call a local business and ask if all the employees are vaccinated. I only really want to go somewhere where that is the case.

Wasn't that a new option on Yelp?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Skyarb posted:

If someone gets offended by that it's probably a sign you shouldn't go there, so it couldn't hurt to try.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

PT6A posted:

at some point I have to decide between being a shut-in for the rest of my life, and taking a calculated risk with precautions and vaccinations

This is the key, I think. Being asked to give up everything you enjoy just a little bit longer, we promise, while you see full football stadiums and people dining indoors like it's 2019, is an increasingly insane request. In the face of woefully inadequate public-health measures, my being maybe 90% as cautious as I should be is really not the source of the problem, and insinuating that it is does nobody any favors and just insults people's intelligence.

Shere posted:

cutting down on non-essential travel

The big issue with this is that policymakers' idea of essential travel is entirely orthogonal to what is essential for people's quality of life. Right now, the official stance here in Canada is that my visiting immediate family outside the country is inherently not essential, but my going into the office n days a week when they tell me to come back in would be. They've got it exactly backwards.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I was able to visit my grandfather for the first time in 18 months just now. If they ban travel again but everyone still gets crammed into offices and factories or even pubs and restaurants, I'm going to be pretty mad. I'm definitely on the "shut everything down for a month" but only allowing work indefinitely with no end in sight isn't cool.

So having said that, what's the deal with Israel? Their cases are through the roof, and while deaths are below the previous peaks, we're still within the lag period. Did they just "open er up" completely? Or is that all unvaccinated chuds or something? This is really not encouraging either way.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 7, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

mobby_6kl posted:

So having said that, what's the deal with Israel? Their cases are through the roof, and while deaths are below the previous peaks, we're still within the lag period. Did they just "open er up" completely? Or is that all unvaccinated chuds or something? This is really not encouraging either way.

It's literally this:

tagesschau posted:

Being asked to give up everything you enjoy just a little bit longer, we promise, while you see full football stadiums and people dining indoors like it's 2019, is an increasingly insane request. In the face of woefully inadequate public-health measures, my being maybe 90% as cautious as I should be is really not the source of the problem, and insinuating that it is does nobody any favors and just insults people's intelligence.

PT6A posted:

I can advocate for better public health policy -- and I do -- and I can take reasonable steps to protect myself and others -- and I do -- but there's a limit to how far I think it's reasonable to go with that on one's own. Looking at what's going on, we're never going to defeat this thing. I don't think it's impossible, I just believe that our governments will refuse to do the needful, so at some point I have to decide between being a shut-in for the rest of my life, and taking a calculated risk with precautions and vaccinations.

Israel removed mandatory NPI because they felt vaccination provided sufficient protection against infection, driven not by science but by the desire to "go back to normal".

This isn't possible, but enough people are determined to do so, and it only takes a few super spreading asymptomatic carriers to keep exponential growth up with delta.

If you're going to public events unmasked or restaurants or bars, stop wondering who the problem is.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Blitter posted:

If you're going to public events unmasked or restaurants or bars, stop wondering who the problem is.

The point PT6A and tagesschau are making is that this has to be mandated and enforced at a population level to be useful in any way. Putting this down to individual responsibility is basically expecting a version of prisoner's dilemma with a million participants isn't going to have any defectors.

No one in this thread is advocating for "open 'er up", we're just saying that your individual contribution isn't going to mean anything when society as a whole is actively taking actions 100x riskier than you are.

For what it's worth, my personal lines are outdoors only with a small select group of friends who are all vaccinated, and masking in any situation where it's even approaching busy outdoors and indoor masking without exception. My contribution to COVID spread absolutely, 100% pales in comparison to nearly anything else happening in my province, and shaming that sort of activity (and it absolutely does occur, on here and elsewhere) doesn't do anything productive outside of holier-than-thou bickering.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah but have you considered that vaccinated individuals are a much more pleasing target for scorn than anti-vaxxers because we can still feel shame

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gynovore posted:

If Biden really gave a poo poo, all he would have to do is modify the Social Security rules so that anyone who is eligible for vaccination, refuses it, then catches Covid, is not eligible for any disability. This would send Cletus and Lurleen running to the nearest Walgreen in ten seconds flat. Nothing gets between a redneck and his disability check.

That would be a wretched precedent to set, holy poo poo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Srice posted:

That would be a wretched precedent to set, holy poo poo.

We already set the "let millions die for number" precedent. Not sure you can top that one TBH.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blitter posted:

Yeah, so... here's the thing: I'm still not doing any of that. I'm now going to work, and maybe going to the supermarket once a week instead of once every two weeks, and I might see one or two friends socially.

I still wear a mask at work, I still don't go to cinemas or anything, I haven't eaten indoors at a restaurant since July when cases were legitimately quite low, I haven't been to a sports game or festival, none of that. And I feel like I'm being criticized for saying "yeah, I'm vaccinated, I'm happy to go to work at the job I love," as many people are doing all of those higher-risk activities. Do you get why that could piss me off?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

enki42 posted:

The point PT6A and tagesschau are making is that this has to be mandated and enforced at a population level to be useful in any way. Putting this down to individual responsibility is basically expecting a version of prisoner's dilemma with a million participants isn't going to have any defectors.

This is absolutely true, and I'm not at all trying to shame either of those posters - the problem is that public health decisions are being made to satisfy public opinion and health economists, not epidemiologists and public health practitioners.

It's a brutal and unfair burden for individuals that are intent on protecting the vulnerable and watching people who have gone beyond give up is terrifically demoralizing.

Doing the best we can, as individuals, despite the lack of guidance turns making the right choices into a even shittier loving burden as it feels like punishment for making ethical decisions.

:smith:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
You know I got interested in looking at what the actual evidence of whether Ivermectin could be useful for COVID is. There's a fair amount of evidence to show it *may* be of some use, but it's obviously nowhere near the effectiveness of vaccine. The guys who got the Nobel for it's use have also not really been that forthcoming about it. All there really seems to be is a pretty lukewarm response from William Campbell back in April 2020:

https://www.ria.ie/news/publications-covid-19-research-response/does-ivermectin-kill-covid-19-virus

quote:

It has been reported* that the antiparasitic drug ivermectin kills the Covid-19 virus (SARS CoV-2), and I have been asked repeatedly for my reaction to the report. Though destitute of expertise in virology, I will set down some thoughts on the subject, intended for a general reader. Perspective can be boring when prospects are exciting – but perspective is needed!

1 Evidence of the lethal effect of ivermectin on the SARS CoV-2, virus has rightly been called to public attention. The report is, in itself, of great importance. “On the other hand,” the lethal effect was seen ‘in vitro’ (meaning in glass or plastic containers); and that is a long way from demonstrating such an effect in animals (in vivo tests).

2 In this study the in vitro tests were not done by simply exposing the virus to the drug in glass or plastic containers, but rather by exposing the virus in living mammalian cells grown in such containers. That is a much higher level of in vitro test. It is a step closer to the situation in an animal body, and that makes the evidence somewhat more encouraging with respect to potential practical use of ivermectin as an antiviral agent. “On the other hand,” the concentration of drug needed to kill the virus was many times higher than the concentration of ivermectin found in the blood of people in the normal use of ivermectin to control parasitic disease.

3 The fact that ivermectin has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in humans has been highlighted. If future studies were to provide evidence of ivermectin anti-viral efficacy in animals, the drug’s current approval by the FDA would be enormously helpful in the conduct of clinical trials, and would thus facilitate further development toward clinical use. “On the other hand,” it has been approved for use against parasites, not against viruses; and awareness of ivermectin’s prior approval for a different use carries the risk of unduly raising hopeful expectations in this matter, with attendant risk of hasty and ill-considered action.

4 In view of the drug concentration differential just mentioned, the probability of ivermectin being used safely to kill the virus in people must be considered low. “On the other hand,” there is, as the authors of the report point out, the possibility that a safe dosage of ivermectin might reduce the rate of viral replication in the mammalian body, or affect the virus in other ways that might be revealed by further research. That is a more positive note on which to end.

W. C. Campbell. 9 April 2020.

Omura on the other hand went all-in, publishing this:
http://jja-contents.wdc-jp.com/pdf/JJA74/74-1-open/74-1_44-95.pdf

It's a long article but it does stuff like quote a pro-ivermectin twitter account (which has since been banned) and ends with

quote:

When the effectiveness of ivermectin for the COVID-19 pandemic is confirmed with the cooperation of researchers around the world and its clinical use is achieved on a global scale, it could prove to be of great benefit to humanity. It may even turn out to be comparable to the benefits achieved from the discovery of penicillin—said to be one of the greatest discoveries of the twentieth century. Here, one more use for ivermectin, which has been described as “miracle” or “wonder” (166) drug, is being added. History has demonstrated that the existence of such natural product-derived compounds with such diverse effects is exceedingly rare. However, in order to pass on to posterity the fact that ivermectin has become widely used to control the world-shattering COVID-19 pandemic, only one simple action is required: the addition of only one word, “COVID-19”, to the 9th item (of the 11 listed) under the “Antiviral” category in the “Ivermectin: The Future” section of the Nobel Lectureʼs record (167) entitled “Splendid Gift from the Earth”

The article also emphasizes heavily how it's just not possible to make a vaccine quickly and safely. So he's going well above and beyond to defend his baby.

I had wished one of these guy would have the balls to say clearly that while Ivermectin may have potential to be a useful treatment it's not a replacement for vaccines, but looks like Omura went and gave a bunch of ammo to people claiming that current vaccines aren't safe, so, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Is there a goon-recommended pulse oximeter model? (Yeah, yeah, the right time to ask this was 18 months ago, but I feel like asking to get the most up-to-date answer possible.)