Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Whew, just 11% for me. Can't wait to find out how this is Jeremy Corbyn's fault!

Well it kinda is, for not winning the election...

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol didn't realise higher income peeps pay less NI, just assumed it was flat across the population.

https://twitter.com/Aidanj1999/status/1435179513671991298?t=Gq0EA8UnxPC-6EegzWH33Q

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
there used to be like a 4 photo montage of Farage's test pilot years, does anyone have it?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Probably a dumb question but is this price hike some kind of contract-breaking nationwide event or will the fixed-rate I signed up to 2 months back hold

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Plus wasn't there a whole thing about viruses tending to transmit less over the summer or something? So there might be a contribution to the autumn spike in cases anyway.

My parents have got it at the moment but they're both double vaxxed and have been frankly pushing their luck ever since, so no sympathy unless it gets serious. Dad's over it having had flu symptoms for a day or so and now Mum's got it.

I've been trying to get them to take paracetamol but it's like trying to get a geordie to put a coat on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goddamnedtwisto posted:

like Mu being able to completely avoid AZ

Excuse me?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dead Goon posted:

I don't know how big these trains are, but I think it's possible they won't actually use them "as is" and will strip the tables and seats out to create more space.

Like, lessons won't be conducted in groups of four facing each other with a table in the middle and teacher pacing up and down the aisle.

They're very, very small. Tiny, really. Not usable for this purpose at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Lol didn't realise higher income peeps pay less NI, just assumed it was flat across the population.

https://twitter.com/Aidanj1999/status/1435179513671991298?t=Gq0EA8UnxPC-6EegzWH33Q

I've been saying forever that any actual progressive party would have abolition of NI as the very item in their manifesto (settle down Crispix). Between the ridiculous taper, the exclusion for capital gains and dividends, and the ease with which it can be dodged, it's almost ridiculously regressive.

Of course the people it benefits most are the HENRY types with multiple "jobs" like, you know, journalists and MPs, so it'll never get touched.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've been trying to get them to take paracetamol but it's like trying to get a geordie to put a coat on.

Isn't taking paracetamol to lower the fever actually hindering the immune response? That's what I was told once by a doctor.

*same doctor also swore by eating sugar sandwiches when you had a cold so maybe full of poo poo.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 7, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Chubby Henparty posted:

Probably a dumb question but is this price hike some kind of contract-breaking nationwide event or will the fixed-rate I signed up to 2 months back hold

Check your contract but in theory your fix should hold.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

There is a new variant, Mu, which is cropping up around the world at a speed that suggests it might be able to out-compete Delta. At the moment there aren't enough cases for anyone to (publicly) speculate as to whether it is deadlier than Delta or how existing vaccines work against it, but any variant that can easily evade the AZ vaccine is of *massive* concern to the UK because most of our most vulnerable people got the AZ jab and we don't seem to be too bothered about topping them up with an mRNA booster.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

E: Nevermind, reread and you did say

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

They're very, very small. Tiny, really. Not usable for this purpose at all.

Welcome to tiny train world

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dead Goon posted:

I don't know how big these trains are, but I think it's possible they won't actually use them "as is" and will strip the tables and seats out to create more space.

Like, lessons won't be conducted in groups of four facing each other with a table in the middle and teacher pacing up and down the aisle.

Blowing a gasket here at the suggestion that Pacers were ever equipped with luxuries like "a table"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

Blowing a gasket here at the suggestion that Pacers were ever equipped with luxuries like "a table"

Some of the refit ones do have them, unless that is a slightly different model of lovely bus train.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Check your contract but in theory your fix should hold.

Will do, thanks.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think what those GB news ghouls failed to understand is that the mainstream is already so right wing that to capture and maintain their own audience they would have had to have the set done up in all third reich stuff and wear the costumes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1435195547816759296

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Remember how everyone sensible was making fun of the Brexit predictions that water treatment plants won't be able to get enough treatment chemicals.

Because I do.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Finally, the freedom we've been waiting for :britain:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Time to modify that Brexit gif so that the UK slides out of the EU and down a waterfall of raw sewage

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BREXIT MEANS you can discharge effluent without meeting the conditions in your permit

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Guavanaut posted:

I do wonder how much of it is the zeal of the convert. Both in the figurative political sense in that most of the neocons themselves were some form of Trot or Maoist long ago, and just kept the "well someone has to suffer" part, and in the literal religious sense that oftentimes people who are born and raised Roman Catholic enjoy a Christmas service and give up chocolate for Lent whereas politically active people who make a big show of converting as adults are statistically more likely to start ranting about how the Mohammedans control the Holy Land and Planned Parenthood eats babies (same goes for some dorks like David Myatt who do it with fundamentalist Islam mostly as an excuse to continue being a dick).

I always wonder what Blair actually thinks, then I remember intentions are meaningless and only the surface detail exists.

My best guess tho is he only really cares about his legacy and the only course of action to protect that is to endlessly double down on I was correct then and I'm correct now; any contrition or change of course is game over.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Remember how everyone sensible was making fun of the Brexit predictions that water treatment plants won't be able to get enough treatment chemicals.

Because I do.

No, people were making fun of the specific claim that the UK would not have sufficient chemicals to treat drinking water[1], not that the Tories would let their chums in the privatised utilities go "welp" and dump raw sewage if they pinky swear it was too hard not to. Be better than the fubpees (and the Tories) who claim that this poo poo is because of Brexit and not because of Tories being Tories.

[1] The concern was specifically about sodium hypochlorite because we import it all from Europe, and it cannot be safely stockpiled - except it *can* be safely stockpiled in dilute form, which is how it's used (you almost certainly have some of it diluted in your house right now as it's the main active ingredient of household bleach) and also we don't actually use it for treating drinking water apart from in certain circumstances, and other chemicals which we do produce in-country can be used in those circumstances.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Britain: literally making GBS threads itself to death

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Be better than the fubpees (and the Tories) who claim that this poo poo is because of Brexit and not because of Tories being Tories.

I mean:

Rules on waste water discharge eased due to supply shortages linked to Brexit and pandemic

Sky News posted:

Waste water plants have been told they may be allowed to discharge effluent that has not been properly treated due to chemical shortages caused by Brexit and the pandemic.

The Environment Agency (EA) has issued new guidance to water and sewerage companies, which normally release waste water under the conditions of a permit.

It said some of the firms may not be able to comply with the conditions because of chemical shortages caused by Brexit, coronavirus or other "unavoidable supply chain failures".

e: I guess the whole "Tory scum happy to ignore regulations now that they can" is a part of it too, but there's no real way of knowing aside from having inside industry knowledge.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 7, 2021

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

crispix posted:

i think what those GB news ghouls failed to understand is that the mainstream is already so right wing that to capture and maintain their own audience they would have had to have the set done up in all third reich stuff and wear the costumes

It was more the many many professionals with long careers in broadcast journalism explaining why it was a difficult market to break into and why NewsCorp had stopped moving ahead with it's plans for UK Fox news etc. and why there wasn't the market for such an offering due to key differences between the uk and us media landscapes...

...and all of it hit a colossal brick wall of vanity from andrew neil heavily reinforced by the longstanding desire from various denizens of the right and alt right to spin their low engagement youtube channels into actual paying tv gigs.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol at this photo:

https://twitter.com/RuairiWood/status/1435228974486016000

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Right but that's still got nothing to do with drinking water, which is what the big scare was, and also it's literally just giving the water companies a get out of jail free card for something they were gleefully doing in 2015, using the current general logistics problems as a fig leaf.

FWIW chemical shortages just aren't the reason why sewage gets dumped into waterways apart from in periods of extreme drought. Almost all waste water treatment in the UK is by sediment filtering and biodigestion - the only time we need to chemically treat (domestic) waste water is if severe drought means that there's not enough rainwater coming into the sewage plants for those to work, then all you can do is dump a shitload of bleach in and hope for the best. The reason we're dumping sewage into waterways is because we're getting more and more extreme weather, we're concreting over poo poo, and the majority of our sewage system is at best Edwardian. When heavy rain has nowhere to go but a combined sewage system that's designed for a quarter of the population that actually uses it now, it's all got to go *somewhere* so off into the nearest river with it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

You also don't pay NI on pension income, dividend income, or a lot of rental income.

It's standard Tory finding a way of raising taxes that means only the young will pay.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tony Blair looks less comfortable smiling than someone with very bad teeth.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So does this NI increase even apply to people on the higher tax bands? :monocle:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

It was more the many many professionals with long careers in broadcast journalism explaining why it was a difficult market to break into and why NewsCorp had stopped moving ahead with it's plans for UK Fox news etc. and why there wasn't the market for such an offering due to key differences between the uk and us media landscapes...
You can't go full lies and racism 'entertainment personality' on UK news TV and that's what right wing news consumers high on YouTube and OANN want?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The reason we're dumping sewage into waterways is because we're getting more and more extreme weather, we're concreting over poo poo, and the majority of our sewage system is at best Edwardian. When heavy rain has nowhere to go but a combined sewage system that's designed for a quarter of the population that actually uses it now, it's all got to go *somewhere* so off into the nearest river with it.
Even that's letting them off too lightly.

The reason we're dumping sewage into waterways is because post-privatization water execs have paid themselves massive bonuses, invested gently caress all in infrastructure improvement and works expansion, and offset whatever pissly little fines they've got against profits.

peanut- posted:

You also don't pay NI on pension income, dividend income, or a lot of rental income.

It's standard Tory finding a way of raising taxes that means only the young will pay.
I spoke to my dad over the videos this afternoon, he brought up the NI thing and said "it's penalizing the young for the old", I said "more like the people who are working for their money for the people that already have enough money" and he responded "that too, there's people my age still full time and people your age who live off dividends" and I can't help but think that 15 years ago it would have been me saying "it's penalizing the young for the old" and him saying "it's penalizing those that work for those that sit on their arses" but in completely different meaning, so maybe the wider social rhetoric is shifting too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's good to read some positive dadpolitics interactions, too many crap dads itt

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
It's reducing the difference that higher rate tax payers pay over the threshold from a 18% gap to a 17% gap. If you earn £50,283 or £99,999 you'll have the same reduction to your take home.

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 7, 2021

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yes but NI has an earnings cap so people earning over it will pay proportionately less

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My dad is a good dad and he's getting less lib but I can't push too far coz my folks both are much less equipped to lol at the current world than I am

Re: lockdown. My partner has been saying for months that the lockdown will start up on her birthday which is this month, lmao if she's right, she usually is

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Saros posted:

Yes but NI has an earnings cap so people earning over it will pay proportionately less
Ok, I've re-read it, and it's actually a flat increase of 1.25% across all brackets, so the percentage of take home reduction is the same. It's more regressive than a Income Tax increase because the threshold starts lower, and doesn't account for savings and investment income, just earnt income.

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 7, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you factor in student loans people under 30 in this country are paying Scandinavian tax rates in exchange for ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I got my Bachelors Certificate that I can use to decorate my walls, as I sure have never used it for anything financial.