Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of them might be a displayport slot. If so, that's probably the one you want to use

The monitor will probably come with the proper cable for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do the various connectors make much difference for 1080p/60fps? I know the more modern standards have higher data transfer rates but I thought that was well above anything I would be using.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Do the various connectors make much difference for 1080p/60fps? I know the more modern standards have higher data transfer rates but I thought that was well above anything I would be using.
There might be some input latency difference, but even FPS pros don't seem to fuzz with that. I think DVI might be better, but see if someone like Battlenonsense has done anything on it. One thing that sucks about HDMI is that you will never know which version your cable is.

DP 1.2 also supports daisy chaining which is neat if you have one or two basic 1080p60 monitors that won't exceed the required bandwidth.

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know HDMI has like, some in built DRM thing, which is probably why I kept using DVI for as long as possible but it seems on the way out as a format.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I actually thought the 900 series was the last nvidia generation that came with DVI out.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

I actually thought the 900 series was the last nvidia generation that came with DVI out.
DVI(-D) was pretty popular for a while because it had a higher bandwidth than HDMI for 120/144 Hz monitors until DP became the norm for gaming. And now we're back to wondering whether we should focus on HDMI 2.1 or DP 2.0 with DP 1.4a being as high as it goes for most right now.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.
per Nvidia, you'll need to use DisplayPort to enable adaptive sync on 10-series GPUs.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

OwlFancier posted:

I know HDMI has like, some in built DRM thing, which is probably why I kept using DVI for as long as possible but it seems on the way out as a format.
You are likely talking about HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) which I hate to break it to you also works over DVI and DisplayPort even though it was invented for HDMI.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

The thread sweetheart vesa desk mount (AmazonBasics) looks to be perpetually out of stock, so I've gone for the Dell MSA20, with a healthy work discount making the price less terrifying.
I didn't fancy mounting a £1000+ monitor on a no-name brand £20 mount.

Anyone have any positive / negative experiences of this mount?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Indiana_Krom posted:

You are likely talking about HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) which I hate to break it to you also works over DVI and DisplayPort even though it was invented for HDMI.

Huh, fair enough. I admit I didn't really look into it (nor really understand how it works) but was just concerned it would cause compatibility issues so i just sort of habitually kept using DVI, also helped by the fact I had spare DVI cables.

Also I kinda like the little screws on them, I wish more cables came with those.

Death On Toast posted:

per Nvidia, you'll need to use DisplayPort to enable adaptive sync on 10-series GPUs.

I will see about picking one up then if it doesn't come with one in the monitor box. The card apparenty does have 3 displayport slots.

Makes me feel old as hell learning that there is an entire cable format I have just never heard of until today.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 4, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Treated myself to a fancy Q70A which is a Samsung TV capable of doing 4K at 120hz, with VRR. Of course, when I tried to set it up, the 1080ti can't output 4k120, only 4k60 or 1440p120. I'm guessing this is both because of my HDMI cable which is years old, and the fact that the 1080ti isn't capable of HDMI 2.1? I'm going to need Ampere or RDNA2 card aren't I?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Treated myself to a fancy Q70A which is a Samsung TV capable of doing 4K at 120hz, with VRR. Of course, when I tried to set it up, the 1080ti can't output 4k120, only 4k60 or 1440p120. I'm guessing this is both because of my HDMI cable which is years old, and the fact that the 1080ti isn't capable of HDMI 2.1? I'm going to need Ampere or RDNA2 card aren't I?

Yap. 1080ti only has hdmi 2.0 which is why you are getting 4k60. Looks like it does have a display port 1.4 but I don't think that's a common input on TVs :negative:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I have a Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD, and thought it was weird that a bunch of OSD options were always greyed out no matter which view mode I selected. It was particularly frustrating not being able to adjust Screen Ratio, since I wanted to hook up a MiSTer but the display stretched the 1920x1440 signal to 16:9.

Turns out, those options were greyed out because Adaptive Sync was on. I'm simultaneously relieved that I can play my dumb old games, and annoyed that I didn't figure this out sooner.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I have an old predator XB27U and I'm looking at upgrading.
I'm thinking a 4k 144hz monitor at around the same size and refresh rate. I do play games, and also minor photoshop and video editing.
I'm looking at the gigabyte M28U because it seems like pretty much the best bang for the buck. Should I be considering anything else?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M28U is definitely the best value when it comes to 4K gaming monitors right now. So good of a value that it's out of stock everywhere. Good luck finding one (if you do, let me know where)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Monitor arrived and it looks really nice, only problem is that I have a consistent feeling the right side of the screen is too dark but I think that is just afterimage from the right side of my previous screen being way too bright for years because if I focus to the right of the monitor it looks fine, maybe I burned out my right eyeball or something i dunno.

Contrast is much better, looks almost eerie how bright everything is.

Oh and it did come with a displayport cable so that's nice, again very much appreciated for the advice.

There is a very slight vignetting effect right near the edge of the screen but considering it has almost no bezel compared to the inch and a half bezel on my old screen I'm not complaining, still just strange having such a modern display. Also that again might just be my eyes expecting to see a dark outline around the image.

E: oh my god it has a thing in the monitor settings to draw a crosshair in the center of the screen so you can cheat at call of duty this is so loving gamer cringe I love it.
E2: drat I think I can actually see it running at higher than 60FPS, I don't know if I have ever seen a display that could do that before and it is noticeably smoother when scrolling the forums etc.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 5, 2021

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Was able to return that 31.5in VA panel I was complaining about no problem.

Fortunately, Walmart allows in store returns for products purchased on their website. Also fortunate that Walmart will accept pretty much loving anything as a return. Got myself a full refund!

I'll just ask the thread so I don't run the risk of buying some poo poo I hate again.

I'm looking for a 27in 1440p monitor with a budget of $250.

It doesn't have to be good really or support any gaming features, I just want it to be 27in or under and not be a total blotchy POS when things on the screen are moving.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The M28U is definitely the best value when it comes to 4K gaming monitors right now. So good of a value that it's out of stock everywhere. Good luck finding one (if you do, let me know where)
Alternative would be Samsung Odyssey G70A / LS28AG700 / whatevermodelnumberintheusa. Same panel, no KVM, tho.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

woops, not the chromebook thread

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 5, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Alternative would be Samsung Odyssey G70A / LS28AG700 / whatevermodelnumberintheusa. Same panel, no KVM, tho.

That has yet to go on sale in NA, and I bet it'll be a lot more expensive. There's also the Acer Nitro XV282K, which IS available for order (link), but it's 50% more expensive while performing almost exactly the same except with a worse black frame insertion/backlight strobing feature (it has a better stand though, so there's that). I don't know if I can justify spending $900 on one.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

woops, not the chromebook thread

Sure! It’s in the title, even! 😜

This may sound weird, but I’ve been having some trouble for a little while with my GOG Galaxy and Steam programs starting out “too big” for my TV/monitor. Like it starts without trouble but most of the times it starts with the min/max/close buttons in the top right off the page and no way to grab an edge to move the program to adjust it. Like as in it needs 1995p or something similar. Sometimes I cannot hit a button near the bottom of a page because it’s not coming with a scroll bar (up/down or right/left).
Is this something I can fix with a “Maximize” hot-key (is there one?) or extending the display> fixing size> go back to two individual screens again? I have latest drivers as of yesterday and have never seen this before.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Check that your tv isn't zooming or anything. I had a similar problem with Chromecast.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I forgot about zoom on the tv settings. First thing I’ll look at when I get home!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DerekSmartymans posted:

I forgot about zoom on the tv settings. First thing I’ll look at when I get home!

<alt>-<space> will bring up the window size menu in most applications, from there you can move the window or change its size.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is this something I can fix with a “Maximize” hot-key (is there one?)

There is! Win+up will maximize the current window. Win+left/right will also snap a window to the left/right side of the screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just noticed that the Acer XB273U GX is in stock at B&H Photo, and lord help me I'm actually considering this dumb, overpriced monitor.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Just noticed that the Acer XB273U GX is in stock at B&H Photo, and lord help me I'm actually considering this dumb, overpriced monitor.

I really wish it didn't say "PREDATOR" on it. It's like the Ford Raptor of computer monitors :/

Got any recs for a $250 1440p 27in screen for work?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CerealKilla420 posted:

I really wish it didn't say "PREDATOR" on it. It's like the Ford Raptor of computer monitors :/

Got any recs for a $250 1440p 27in screen for work?

The Dell S2721D is currently $230 through the Dell store: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...6ef904885bb79da

It seems like a decent no-frills monitor: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721d
I've got a dell monitor myself, one of their gaming-oriented non-alienware ones, and it's well-built. Their low-budget-ish 2k and 4k monitors all seem solid for what they are.

edit: The version with a more adjustable stand is $20 more if that's something you think you'll get use of: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-s2721ds/apd/210-axkp/monitors-monitor-accessories

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 7, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EoRaptor posted:

<alt>-<space> will bring up the window size menu in most applications, from there you can move the window or change its size.

Cool. I still have a txt file printed from Notepad like 12 years ago tacked to my bookcase with very small print of all the ASCII codes for different symbols to put in emails/Usenet posts.

I am in-between two bookcases; plenty of room to tack up a simple txt printout of basic Windows key combos. You are cool 😎!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Helter Skelter posted:

There is! Win+up will maximize the current window. Win+left/right will also snap a window to the left/right side of the screen.

Neat as heck! You are cool 😎 too!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Win+P is another potentially useful shortcut if you ever use or change between multiple screens. It brings up the the "project" screen menu. Especially useful when you don't have access to the screen your PC is currently outputting to (e.g., if your tv is in another room)!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

Win+P is another potentially useful shortcut if you ever use or change between multiple screens. It brings up the the "project" screen menu. Especially useful when you don't have access to the screen your PC is currently outputting to (e.g., if your tv is in another room)!

I appreciate that. I’m sure RPi OS has something built-in since it’s even more of a tech-centered platform, and Linux users would already be aware of the keys to press. Thanks again for the info (you are also cool 😎)!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the more time i spend trying to decide what monitor to get the more i end up not buying one, every monitor seems to have the same bells and whistles once you set yourself on a particular feature like 144hz, not to mention differentiating between models like a lg gp850 vs lg gn880
after RMA'ing the previous one due to backlight bleed im almost considering just hitting the same one hoping the panel lottery goes better for me.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 7, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Doing some exploring here, please bare with me as I'm not sure of what is all out there and trying to improve my setup.

My current set up is 3 27" 4k monitors side-by-side-by-side with an older LG 27" UW up above. During the business day, I normally use the center and left for my work laptop (through thunderbolt hub) and the right and above for personal activities (through Lenovo graphics dock which has a 1050Ti in it. 2 display ports and a single USB3 going straight to the laptop). Outside of the business day I turn the middle to personal.

While the monitors are quite nice, it can be a bit cumbersome how they interact with the two laptop docks that are driving them and I have this feeling that on my personal Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd gen) with the Lenovo graphics dock is straining to drive them as I've noticed more slowdowns and issues since moving to them. I'm left thinking there is a more elegant solution.

I'm very much drawn to these large 49" UW that span the whole desk that let you view multiple inputs at once. For the moment, forget the top monitor and I'm envisioning having the UW split into thirds and do my toggling between business and personal the same. 2/3 work, 1/3 personal and then full personal outside work hours. I have a theory that 1 49" UW will be less taxing on the Thinkpad than 2 4Ks.

Other considerations:
I'm planning to build a gaming computer in the near future with a 3080 and it will NOT be my daily driver, but will be used as another input. I may be switching my Thinkpad out for a Mac Mini if the next iteration supports multiple monitors, but I don't think that will change much in this arrangement.

Questions that I have:

- I have NO idea the landscape of things. Are there a few go-to models that I should be looking at? Are these large UWs still too much in their infancy and I should give them more time to mature?
- I'm not a huge gamer, but would like to not have a BAD experience, any models that I should stay away from for the times that I will game? What should I be looking for to make sure that I get one that's good enough for 1440p or 4k gaming? Some of the gaming will be VR so the display will be irrelevant
- Do these UW work as well as I'm imaging with the easy toggling and splitting up of the screens into 1/3s between two inputs? I will be using Synergy or Logitech Flow to seamlessly move my mouse/keyboard between them.

Greatly appreciate any experience, input, and feedback on the above! I'm sure there won't be a perfect solution, but perhaps I can get closer. Thanks!

Current monitors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CDYB0QS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The Dell S2721D is currently $230 through the Dell store: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...6ef904885bb79da

It seems like a decent no-frills monitor: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721d
I've got a dell monitor myself, one of their gaming-oriented non-alienware ones, and it's well-built. Their low-budget-ish 2k and 4k monitors all seem solid for what they are.

edit: The version with a more adjustable stand is $20 more if that's something you think you'll get use of: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-s2721ds/apd/210-axkp/monitors-monitor-accessories

Ordered! Ty king! (assuming you self identify as a male bc of the Roys Boys banner)

I got the one with the nice stand since I'll be going in my study along with the rest of my WFH stuff.

The stand really does make a big difference imo - I adjust my monitors all the time. For sure worth the extra $20.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Acer Nitro XV272U is on sale for $290 at B&H Photo right now. It performs similarly to the $300 M27Q. They're both 27" 1440p monitors that max out at 170Hz, but the Acer has faster response times, RGB subpixels instead of BGR, and a better stand. The downside is that the Acer is much darker, topping out at around 200 nits. That's not an issue if you don't have much natural light in your room (we all have our own goon caves, right?), though it does make their backlight strobing mode unusably dark except for when you have the lights out.

Comparing the Nitro to the Predator in light of this deep discount really snapped me out of my desire to buy the predator. It still seems really nice, but it can't be worth the extra $390 lol

Only issue is that B&H Photo's checkouts are closed for a holiday. I think I'm buying this thing tomorrow once they open back up.

edit: Or now that MSI apparently added an sRGB clamp to the MAG274QRF-QD in a firmware update (and it doesn't restrict the other OSD settings!), maybe I should get that instead. Much to consider...

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 8, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is this the Acer equivalent of the PG279QM? Because that panel is absolutely incredible.

270Hz instead of 240Hz but no dedicated GSync module like the PG279QM (unless I'm misreading the specs).

I'm still rocking two og PG279Q but I'd absolutely see myself upgrading for modern niceties like 240Hz+, wider gamut and basic HDR

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I convinced myself away from the predator and ordered the nitro, but then immediately convinced myself back to the predator and changed my order to that. I have a 3080 ti on the way. May as well get an expensive monitor to go with my expensive graphics card, or so I told myself.

There was another goon who got one a couple pages ago and they seemed very happy with it, so we'll see.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have a monitor that's maybe 3 or 4 years old from work, but I'd like to purchase a new one to go with new Legion laptop I got that's got a 3060 in it. I'm going to be primarily using this for shooters like COD, destiny and battlefield.

I read the op and it seems very detailed and knowledgeable. I did not grasp any of it. I'm ok with spending around 3-500$ if that's realistic?

Could I trouble the thread for recommendation for a dock that supports dual screens, an ethernet connection and that can help me get my new cool laptop onto a new sexy screen while I I bring stuff on the other screen? It'll be part of my home office/desk set up.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/637182/lenovo-legion-5-15-156-gaming-laptop-computer-platinum-collection-blue

Further info

quote:

The Lenovo Legion 5 15 Gaming Laptop model number 82JU0082US, supports up to 4 independent displays via native display and 3 external monitors; supports external monitors via HDMI (up to 4096x2160@60Hz) or USB-C (up to 5120x3200@60Hz).

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone know anything about monitor arms. I saw these old ergotron monitor arms for sale second hand, is there any reason why they wouldn't work with 27 inch monitors?

it looks like this