Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I had always assumed it was sort of an ongoing "well if it works" thing than a specific attempt.

Killing the fat machismo man with wine was a generally successful plan to escape accusation, and it was just Ned's lack of fortune that it happened when it did.

I guess that's basically headcanon though.

That's pretty much explicitly stated in the book (very minor book spoilers, I guess):

Game of Thrones posted:

“Oh, indeed. Cersei gave him the wineskins, and told him it was Robert’s favorite
vintage.” The eunuch shrugged. “A hunter lives a perilous life. If the boar had not done
for Robert, it would have been a fall from a horse, the bite of a wood adder, an arrow
gone astray . . . the forest is the abbatoir of the gods. It was not wine that killed the king.
It was your mercy.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Peter Jackson wound up basically destroying New Zealand's ironically Lord of the Rings-revitalized film industry in trying to make The Hobbit, to the point where the NZ government bent over backwards even further to lick Jeff Bezos's boots in order to get Amazon to film the LOTR TV show there, and Amazon still ultimately went "gently caress you, we're filming the rest of this in London" after wrapping on Season 1.

Lindsay Ellis' video on The Hobbit dug into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

Pretty interesting (and unfortunate) stuff

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Remember when being stupid had actual consequences? But then they just gave the night king a dragon because they sent all main characters to fetch a wight but then it turned out fine because nk is weak to jumping.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Peter Jackson wound up basically destroying New Zealand's ironically Lord of the Rings-revitalized film industry in trying to make The Hobbit, to the point where the NZ government bent over backwards even further to lick Jeff Bezos's boots in order to get Amazon to film the LOTR TV show there, and Amazon still ultimately went "gently caress you, we're filming the rest of this in London" after wrapping on Season 1.

You could say Peter Jackson bookended it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

An insane mind posted:

Remember when being stupid had actual consequences? But then they just gave the night king a dragon because they sent all main characters to fetch a wight but then it turned out fine because nk is weak to jumping.

This is kind of where I thought the ending was going. That the mistake was playing the "Game of Thrones" at all, and Cersei choosing to sit out would have dire, horrific consequences for her; to whit, all her enemies would unify together, and come together to destroy her completely and utterly.

Instead it turns out she was totally right to sit it out.

Frankly I thought the message was "you cannot afford to sit out the apocalypse in the hopes someone else solves it; you need to contribute to saving everyone or else you don't deserve to be saved."

Instead Dany was the only one who suffered Real Consequences for helping against the Literal End Of The World and it contributed to her going down the trail to crazy town... and we all can see how well the fandom accepted that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

An insane mind posted:

He's weak to getting stabbed in the dick to death.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

SimonChris posted:

That's pretty much explicitly stated in the book (very minor book spoilers, I guess):

It also comes right after they foil a plot to have Robert killed in the melee tournament. It's made very clear they're setting up a lot of potential "accidents", the boar is just the one that happened to work.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It seems way more northeners should have died during the attack on winterfell. The undead got past the walls, into the inner keep, even into the crypts... How did they still have an army after that?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Collapsing Farts posted:

It seems way more northeners should have died during the attack on winterfell. The undead got past the walls, into the inner keep, even into the crypts... How did they still have an army after that?

To say nothing of the fact that there are still Dothraki soldiers at Dany's disposal despite them being slaughtered almost to a man.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The armies just kind of forgot that all of their soldiers died. :nallears:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The armies just kind of forgot that all of their soldiers died. :nallears:

I will never get tired of the fact that Danny forgetting about a massive and dangerous navy is loving cannon.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

I will never get tired of the fact that Danny forgetting about a massive and dangerous navy is loving cannon.

Especially since they could have got to the same outcome by, for example, Dany sees the fleet, says "I've got dragons I can take them", she gets close and Euron pulls away tarps that were covering the ballistas.

Same results but derived from her hubris instead of her lack of object permanence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Especially since they could have got to the same outcome by, for example, Dany sees the fleet, says "I've got dragons I can take them", she gets close and Euron pulls away tarps that were covering the ballistas.

Same results but derived from her hubris instead of her lack of object permanence.

Yeah, or even if they don't cover the tarps just have her be like "they can't hit us!" go in, burn some ships, start to look like she's winning and then one dragon gets heatshot with a lucky ballista and she then flees.

The whole "ships come out of nowhere" thing just makes no sense. You can't hide a ship behind a small island from something flying thousands of feet in the air.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sky Shadowing posted:

This is kind of where I thought the ending was going. That the mistake was playing the "Game of Thrones" at all, and Cersei choosing to sit out would have dire, horrific consequences for her; to whit, all her enemies would unify together, and come together to destroy her completely and utterly.

Instead it turns out she was totally right to sit it out.

Frankly I thought the message was "you cannot afford to sit out the apocalypse in the hopes someone else solves it; you need to contribute to saving everyone or else you don't deserve to be saved."

Instead Dany was the only one who suffered Real Consequences for helping against the Literal End Of The World and it contributed to her going down the trail to crazy town... and we all can see how well the fandom accepted that.
Wow. This is a really great way of boiling this down. Thank you.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Baron von Eevl posted:

He's weak to getting stabbed in the dick to death.

Heck, same

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That last season just felt so deeply insulting to me, as a viewer. And given how much I really adored the show and mythology at one point, I thought I could forgive drat near any crappy direction this show could possibly go in. But I didn't take into account that I could feel fundamentally disrespected by a TV show, but there you go.

I will say that GoT created a somewhat unique situation. I really can't think of many other IPs that experienced such an extreme and severe drop in quality, certainly not any recent ones. I also used to think that the "journey" always counted more than the "destination", and I thought that any show that was good for a period of time would always be good no matter how bad it got by the end. Boy, was I wrong about that one - now I know that a show ABSOLUTELY can get bad enough at the end to completely eviscerate any enjoyment that could possibly be gleaned from those early seasons. I truly never knew that a franchise could deteriorate to such an extreme degree.

Like, I remember back in the summer of 2017, Twin Peaks: The Return aired first and then Season 7 of Game of Thrones started up as well, and I remember thinking at the time that I had an approximately equal degree of interest in keeping abreast of both shows as they aired week-by-week, which now seems.... utterly insane, that I could have even had them in the same folder on my computer at one point.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

kaworu posted:

That last season just felt so deeply insulting to me, as a viewer. And given how much I really adored the show and mythology at one point, I thought I could forgive drat near any crappy direction this show could possibly go in. But I didn't take into account that I could feel fundamentally disrespected by a TV show, but there you go.

I will say that GoT created a somewhat unique situation. I really can't think of many other IPs that experienced such an extreme and severe drop in quality, certainly not any recent ones. I also used to think that the "journey" always counted more than the "destination", and I thought that any show that was good for a period of time would always be good no matter how bad it got by the end. Boy, was I wrong about that one - now I know that a show ABSOLUTELY can get bad enough at the end to completely eviscerate any enjoyment that could possibly be gleaned from those early seasons. I truly never knew that a franchise could deteriorate to such an extreme degree.

Like, I remember back in the summer of 2017, Twin Peaks: The Return aired first and then Season 7 of Game of Thrones started up as well, and I remember thinking at the time that I had an approximately equal degree of interest in keeping abreast of both shows as they aired week-by-week, which now seems.... utterly insane, that I could have even had them in the same folder on my computer at one point.

The end of the show does make rewatching it pretty difficult. You have this sense of dread, especially in season 5, not of main characters dying... mostly because by that point they stopped (in any kind of elegantly written way), but because you know the show is about to make you horribly angry.

With a show like Game of Thrones that's really rough. I can skip watching some season 7 episodes of Star Trek TNG if I watch through, because nobody really needs to see Masks or Sub Rosa for a 20th time. Even if I absolutely hate the episodes and whatever. Game of Thrones not only has the problem of hating later episodes which isn't an uncommon problem, they exacerbated it by limiting the number of episodes and squeezing as much as they did. It's just doubly bad.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Vichan posted:

To say nothing of the fact that there are still Dothraki soldiers at Dany's disposal despite them being slaughtered almost to a man.

My favorite little detail of badness is that when she's making her speech in the final episode, she's delivering it in High Valyrian to her army, 2/3rd of which likely has no idea what she just said to them.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

My favorite little detail of badness is that when she's making her speech in the final episode, she's delivering it in High Valyrian to her army, 2/3rd of which likely has no idea what she just said to them.

lol now I'm picturing a bunch of people in an army milling around uncomfortably trying to figure out whether it's time to clap or cheer or whateva

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lena Headey is the one to blame for Cersei being a bad character in the show. She was so good in the role and so god drat charismatic both in the show and real life, the character became a symbol in pop culture for being a #girlboss. The whole reveal that Cersei is a sociopathic idiot narcissist who only succeeded because her lack of a conscience made it easy for her to sabotage allies, but incompetent at actually ruling or winning, would not have gone over well with a huge segment of the viewership. It's the same reason they had to start removing all the subplots about how she doesn't care about being faithful to Jaime in the slightest. Or where in the early seasons the fact she has incest babies with her brother is treated as horrifying and a sign of her being unhinged, but then in the back half they suddenly decide that no, incest is good and Cersei is brave and noble for doing it. And all of a sudden Jaime and Cersei's relationship is treated as romantic star-crossed lovers instead of some hosed up poo poo Jaime needs to get over.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Super Deuce posted:

With a show like Game of Thrones that's really rough. I can skip watching some season 7 episodes of Star Trek TNG if I watch through, because nobody really needs to see Masks or Sub Rosa for a 20th time. Even if I absolutely hate the episodes and whatever. Game of Thrones not only has the problem of hating later episodes which isn't an uncommon problem, they exacerbated it by limiting the number of episodes and squeezing as much as they did. It's just doubly bad.

Such is the problem with this golden age of TV. You cut Game of Thrones into the good half, you have 40 or so episodes of good TV. Cut The Simpsons into quarters as this point and you have 150 good ones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Lena Headey is the one to blame for Cersei being a bad character in the show. She was so good in the role and so god drat charismatic both in the show and real life, the character became a symbol in pop culture for being a #girlboss. The whole reveal that Cersei is a sociopathic idiot narcissist who only succeeded because her lack of a conscience made it easy for her to sabotage allies, but incompetent at actually ruling or winning, would not have gone over well with a huge segment of the viewership. It's the same reason they had to start removing all the subplots about how she doesn't care about being faithful to Jaime in the slightest. Or where in the early seasons the fact she has incest babies with her brother is treated as horrifying and a sign of her being unhinged, but then in the back half they suddenly decide that no, incest is good and Cersei is brave and noble for doing it. And all of a sudden Jaime and Cersei's relationship is treated as romantic star-crossed lovers instead of some hosed up poo poo Jaime needs to get over.

I'd have put the responsibility for the creative bankruptcy of the writers at the feet of the writers instead of the actors, but I get where you're coming from.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The writers were just too cowardly to properly emphasis the real theme of the story - that bitches all be crazy.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

galagazombie posted:

If that's true, how come they made Dany go crazy? She had a bigger fan following than Cersei

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One of the more well liked plots in the second half of the books is Jaime becoming a better person without Cersei’s influence while she gets worse, but they send him on a stealth mission to Dorne instead.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Never forget

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm mad the show took away Bronn Lord Stokeworth's happy ending of murdering all of Lolly's relatives offscreen, much to Cersei's chagrin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's really funny they hosed over their chance at Star Wars by speedrunning the end when HBO would've let them go as long as they wanted and they did it specifically to move on to Star Wars and their slavery show.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

galagazombie posted:

Why can likable/charismatic people not be unhinged narcissist sociopaths, exactly?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's how this fucks Brienne that really burns my biscuit. If her relationship with Jaime is strictly platonic then her writing in the White Book about him is her honouring the one person who actually respected her, which is knightly as hell. But instead it's a scorned woman pining for her lover, and it's awful.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

galagazombie posted:

It got talked about either here or in the Book Thread, but it's as much the fault of the directors, producers, cinematographers, composers, etc., as anybody else for GoT's Girlboss* problem. Yes, Lena is one of the greatest actors (male or female) ever and even when her only material was to look scared of a distant CGI dragon she did the best anyone could have done, but she didn't position the cameras to make her look like a badass, or arrange and direct triumphant music to play over her sociopathic actions, or directing herself in a way that made suburban wine moms to want to share memes of her. She was given a script, direction, actors to play off of, and sets/costumes, just like any of the other actors. I think it just goes back to bad writers not having material to work with while simultaneously cherry-picking material that they wanted, while their obsession with character deaths pared away at any possible tension**.

*and you know, we complain about Girlboss Syndrome, but it's really just female characters being given the same power fantasies that have always been traditionally bestowed to male characters.

**Lord deliver me from the modern obsession with "stakes" in modern fantasy being interpreted as having the highest possible death toll thanks to GoT.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is basically no way for GRRM to get to the ending, namely why the gently caress would Bran become king, without rushing it almost as badly as the show. Unless he either extends the series to like 10 books or does a 5 year jump after all.

I forgot that Bran became the king. Stupid.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Really the smartest thing Tyrion could do after the finale scene is have Bronn immediately assassinated, because Bronn will absolutely keep betraying and murdering people.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Van Dis posted:

Really the smartest thing Tyrion could do after the finale scene is have Bronn immediately assassinated, because Bronn will absolutely keep betraying and murdering people.

Easier said than done.

Besides, does Bronn betray anyone but Cersei?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Van Dis posted:

You mean the guy that threatened to murder him and punched him square in the nose who frequently reminds him that he’d kill him if someone else paid more?

Anyways, the move actually makes total sense for Tyrion. Keeping an enemy close is a great idea. Making him master of coin is... not. Unless he wants him to take the future fall when the Iron Bank comes calling?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bronn getting literally anything at all made no sense. He did the fantasy equivalent of kidnapping a presidential candidate's chief of staff and demanding a promise to be made governor of texas

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I mean if you're gonna make Bronn something, make him Master of War or give him the City Watch again and bump it up to a Small Council position. You know, poo poo he'd be really good at

but no, GoT has to make him Master of Coin because funny joke!!!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The fact that Bronn's character arc was snipped off at the finish line is really near the top of the poo poo Mountain for me. Seven seasons having a mercenary rear end in a top hat develop a genuine friendship with his employers and rise to a position of authority and wealth where he could stand on equal footing to them through genuine merit, only to have him end on a stick-up worthy of a spaghetti western having learned nothing from it all.

The thing that really pisses me off about it is that there was even a way to salvage that whole stupidity in my mind because when Bronn brings up what a sham Lordship is to justify why they should buy him with it, he's not only right, but he's talking to the two men in all of Westeros that should know it better than anyone, the scions of the house of Lann The Clever, who became a lord by stealing House Casterly's castle, gold and eldest daughter. You could have gotten to the same ending point without betraying Bronn's character with just a little bit more effort and attention to the established world and themes.

But then again you can write that same sentence and replace Bronn's name with a lot of characters, because every character who didn't end up in a completely stupid place ended up in a defensible place stupidly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Bronn only existed by the end because of fan popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

That scene where Qyburn gives the crossbow to Bronn always bugged me. It was such a cheap-looking scene. It felt like it took place inside a cheap set of an empty room in an empty city.