Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I loved all the weird items in ffxi.

By toau the only way I could get my paladin into decent merit parties was to do pld/nin with joyeuse and the justice sword, which I got from some random rmt groups that were in Sea at the time and didn’t have a buyer for it so I got it for cheap. Thank u rmt’s.

Had to learn how to solo the big VT shark guys near Temenos in order to reliably get fuckin organs for the justice sword. Which actually involved switching over to staff and fighting them down using Spirit Taker and drat I love ffxi just talking about this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Capital Letdown posted:

I loved all the weird items in ffxi.

By toau the only way I could get my paladin into decent merit parties was to do pld/nin with joyeuse and the justice sword, which I got from some random rmt groups that were in Sea at the time and didn’t have a buyer for it so I got it for cheap. Thank u rmt’s.

Had to learn how to solo the big VT shark guys near Temenos in order to reliably get fuckin organs for the justice sword. Which actually involved switching over to staff and fighting them down using Spirit Taker and drat I love ffxi just talking about this stuff

Bless this weird Frankenstein’s Monster of an MMO

I tanked RDM/NIN which was kinda weird. Then there was NIN/BRD Mazurka tanking because for some reason they made the movement speed song generate a ridiculous amount of enmity. There were any number of niche combinations of DD setups because the 75 cap limited you to a degree. For instance WAR/NIN Jugg/Ridill or Jugg/Joy was en vogue until the introduction of Hasso and then two-handers could /SAM and be competitive. I remember the RNG nerf and the MNK nerf and all the things they did to try and balance the game. And it worked to a large extent and it kept the game hard. A lot of iLvl content now is bulldozed by SMN spam or Savage Blade spam but I do think there is a lot of challenge out there, which is why I’ve been back for almost a year

Holy poo poo I’ve been back for almost a year :stare:

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Grinding out an empyrean weapon and putting afterglow rank 15 on it felt like such a great accomplishment. The time and grinding and gil it took, plus just how absolutely badass the power spike was. There’s nothing like that in modern games.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I think my favorite weird strat was figuring out RDM/DRK and WAR/NIN duoing the Maneater ENM. We noticed that the eft wouldn't chase down the player with aggro and just spit poison at them instead of meleeing, so I would piss off the mob with debuffs and cures and high enmity DRK JAs while the warrior would put up defender and carefully DPS. We would alternate between stunning any big spell casts, with me using Stun and the WAR using Smash Axe. Then I'd just spam antidotes as necessary

It was so satisfying to figure out weird strats, god drat

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Continuing to try against my better judgement to play this game and had a question: for the Records of Eminence objectives, do I need to set them before I can complete them? For example there's one for doing the first Windurst mission. If I don't set that RoE objective before I do the mission, is it lost forever?

also separate question: how do I scroll up in my log windows?

third question: how the hell do keybinds work in this game? it seems different based on which Keyboard Size option I choose but I can't figure out which I should actually be using.

for example, if I have Keyboard Size set to either of the compact ones pressing [i] moves my camera. When I check the bindings, [i] is bound both to move the camera AND to open my items. So I think maybe I should use full. But when I use full, pressing [i] just types a letter i in the chatbox and I can't figure out how to get it to stop doing that and just open my items. It seems to do that for every letter key, so I can't even move using WASD - it just types the letter instead.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 6, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you can set ROE after the fact and they’ll auto complete

uhhh press square and hit select and it’ll expand the log. I don’t know what the keyboard stroke is. whatever selects the log? + on numpad?

i just use Menu button or - on keyboard to open my
main menu and reach items from there.

or select to open the mini menu

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Continuing to try against my better judgement to play this game and had a question: for the Records of Eminence objectives, do I need to set them before I can complete them? For example there's one for doing the first Windurst mission. If I don't set that RoE objective before I do the mission, is it lost forever?

As a general rule, if an RoE is for a one-off unrepeatable (unlock this job, do this mission), then you will get credit retroactively and the RoE will instantly complete. Most anything quest/mission-related, for example. Note for missions that you'll then have to exit and re-enter that RoE submenu in order to get the next objective to show up (1-2 requires completing 1-1 for example, and can't be flagged until the 1-1 RoE is complete).

If it's for something that can be repeated, even if it's annoying to repeat it, then you will not, and will have to redo whatever-it-was.

Badger of Basra posted:

also separate question: how do I scroll up in my log windows?

+ on keypad (hit it multiple times to cycle through windows), then enter to fullscreen the window, then you can scroll the window with arrow keys.

Badger of Basra posted:

third question: how the hell do keybinds work in this game? it seems different based on which Keyboard Size option I choose but I can't figure out which I should actually be using.

for example, if I have Keyboard Size set to either of the compact ones pressing [i] moves my camera. When I check the bindings, [i] is bound both to move the camera AND to open my items. So I think maybe I should use full. But when I use full, pressing [i] just types a letter i in the chatbox and I can't figure out how to get it to stop doing that and just open my items.

One of 11's baffling UX decisions was to sacrifice keybind-ability in favor of allowing people to chat by typing directly, rather than the more-current standard of going into chat mode by starting with / or enter. So I by itself is "start chatting, specifically with the letter I".

So those keybinds are for ctrl or alt (either works) plus that letter: ctrl-I for inventory, ctrl-E for equipment, for example. Macros are your customizable keybinds and are ctrl 1-0 and alt 1-0 for the two rows.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vil posted:

As a general rule, if an RoE is for a one-off unrepeatable (unlock this job, do this mission), then you will get credit retroactively and the RoE will instantly complete. Most anything quest/mission-related, for example. Note for missions that you'll then have to exit and re-enter that RoE submenu in order to get the next objective to show up (1-2 requires completing 1-1 for example, and can't be flagged until the 1-1 RoE is complete).

If it's for something that can be repeated, even if it's annoying to repeat it, then you will not, and will have to redo whatever-it-was.

are there any you'd recommend setting as someone just starting out that would be useful to have running in the background?

Vil posted:

One of 11's baffling UX decisions was to sacrifice keybind-ability in favor of allowing people to chat by typing directly, rather than the more-current standard of going into chat mode by starting with / or enter. So I by itself is "start chatting, specifically with the letter I".

So those keybinds are for ctrl or alt (either works) plus that letter: ctrl-I for inventory, ctrl-E for equipment, for example. Macros are your customizable keybinds and are ctrl 1-0 and alt 1-0 for the two rows.

:psyduck:

thank you, I don't think I ever would have figured that out. So I think the best one for me to use is Compact 2 then, it seems.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Set the ROE based on the spoils and monsters you’re fighting / zone you’re in. you can always cycle through different ones when you switch zones or whatever

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Last questions for now: how do I get a linkpearl? I can't see a way to search for people by LS to see if anyone's online.

Also, how do I get more gil? Spells are expensive!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In addition to that, the RoEs for wide-area combat - the ones that are for things like damage done, enemy kills, etc. - are good for having set general-purpose. Also under spoils, it doesn't hurt to set all 8 crystals because you'll always be getting them. At the very least the common ones like wind and earth crystals.

But yeah, generally you'll be setting and completing RoEs based on what you're doing. There's also some daily RoEs that you can find toward the bottom of the main list, both general daily objectives as well as another set under unity.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Last questions for now: how do I get a linkpearl? I can't see a way to search for people by LS to see if anyone's online.

Also, how do I get more gil? Spells are expensive!

The most common way of getting linkshells is by knowing someone who has one; pretty old-school like that. There are NPCs called Linkshell Concierges in each original city that let players put linkshells on them and other people to pick them up. They're mainly used by linkshells that are ostensibly newbie friendly, or have a general interest. On my server the concierge is basically dead but if you're on a more populated one, you might give it a whirl, never know if you'll find a good one.

When you're leveling, the basic way to get gil is to exchange sparks for equipment that you then NPC. You can exchange up to 100k per week which yields, roughly (based on fame) 1 million gil. You can do the same thing with unity accolades which has the same weekly limit and yields roughly the same gil. This is usually the best use of sparks because when you level, you're heavily reliant on trusts: why spend sparks buying equipment for yourself when 1) you're going to out-level it quickly, and 2) you're probably pathetically weak compared to your trusts since you probably have bad spells, bad skill levels etc. But since there's no gear binding (until you get to some end-game stuff where there's gear augments) system in this game you can also buy equipment and then NPC it when you're done with it.

A final note: although it feels good to collect all the spells, a lot of them aren't really necessary, either ever, or while leveling. One example is Dispel, which can be a bit expensive for a newbie, and while it is eventually important, you probably won't use it much while leveling because your enfeebling magic skill won't be that good.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 6, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly, the game is very very playable with a standard controller, and is (imo) designed with a controller first and kb+m second. Targeting is quick with a controller compared to spamming tab, its very easy to scroll through macro books, camera control makes sense, etc.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, I found that I enjoyed XI a lot more after I started using a controller. The XIVCrossbar addon helped too.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I use a controller now but back in the day I was a sicko who played with both hands on the keyboard. I used the numpad for movement even.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah the xiv crossbar addon is insanely nice.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

does the xivcrossbar addon also give you the sort of xiv-style hotkeys for keyboard players? I swear i've seen a screenshot of someone playing with that sort of UI but I couldn't find it in the options or addon sites when I tried this game

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

blatman posted:

does the xivcrossbar addon also give you the sort of xiv-style hotkeys for keyboard players? I swear i've seen a screenshot of someone playing with that sort of UI but I couldn't find it in the options or addon sites when I tried this game

xivhotbar gives you a customizable hotbar (two sets of them actually, you can toggle in/out of combat bars) that functions similar to a standard mmo. takes some time to get the first one set up because you are literally editing an xml file to assign the keys but then after that you can kinda template it out easily to other jobs.

e: found these in our xi discord, really old pics of my DNC hotbars.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dang that's cool, I should have done a lot more digging into customization options last time I tried to get into this game

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

killing crabs on the beach in valkurm...feels like middle school again

also, did they change how many things aggro? I feel like I was able to walk through most of Tahrongi and Buburimu without anything except beastmen aggroing me which is not at all how I remember this being 20 years ago.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

killing crabs on the beach in valkurm...feels like middle school again

also, did they change how many things aggro? I feel like I was able to walk through most of Tahrongi and Buburimu without anything except beastmen aggroing me which is not at all how I remember this being 20 years ago.

I don't think they changed the ways that monsters aggro. The stuff that aggros in Buburimu is the beastmen as you mentioned, elements and undead, and then pugils and crabs, but those are all out of the way on the beaches, so I could definitely see someone being able to get through Buburimu without getting aggro'd pretty easily.

Edit: Wait, they did change something but only at high-levels. They added one more /check level "Extremely Easy Prey" to make it easier for players to do Magian trials even at max level. So usually stuff that is 7 levels below you stops aggro'ing but once you get past 75 it changes to 20 levels below stops aggro'ing.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 6, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Systematic System posted:

Edit: Wait, they did change something but only at high-levels. They added one more /check level "Extremely Easy Prey" to make it easier for players to do Magian trials even at max level. So usually stuff that is 7 levels below you stops aggro'ing but once you get past 75 it changes to 20 levels below stops aggro'ing.
oh, is that why they added it?

I thought the purpose was to keep things that aggroed at 75 aggroing to 99 :shobon:

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh, is that why they added it?

I thought the purpose was to keep things that aggroed at 75 aggroing to 99 :shobon:

That's probably a secondary benefit for maintaining a certain... cruelty in the game but yeah, before they went back and added loads of high level monsters to older zones (which was pretty funny since you could be a newbie wandering through a level 5 zone and bam, open the wrong door and there's a level 90 monster there), there were some magian trials that were difficult to complete just because there was nothing at a high enough level. I remember having to level sync just to finish some trial (it was like 9 years ago though so I don't remember which one sadly).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

(which was pretty funny since you could be a newbie wandering through a level 5 zone and bam, open the wrong door and there's a level 90 monster there)
which is worse, trying to walk through Dangruf Wadi or Inner Horutoto Ruins

(probably wadi)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(probably wadi)

I remember at some point a few years ago, I loaded up a classic server that had some modifications like 10x exp or whatever to speed things up. I wandered into wadi at what I thought was a safe level only to get obliterated by the lv80 enemies or whatever. I assumed it was stupid private server bullshit for changing low level enemies with high level ones, but oh how wrong I was.

Back in the day FFXI was actually fairly good at avoiding the trope of "lv90 enemy looks the same as a lv20 one" - yes there was a wide range of monster levels in a single area, but it was generally easy to feel out. Enemies near the "start" of a zone tended to be lower level, so the deeper in you went the harder stuff got. So you learned the deeper you go the riskier it would get. The level jumps were usually somewhat small at first too, so you wouldn't immediately get obliterated if you could handle the previous enemies. Some of the dungeons weren't as good at this, but also dungeons were explicitly meant to be dangerous places so this kinda made sense.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(probably wadi)

I recently did a clean reinstall of the game and forgot to use the marked map .dats for a while and my god, Inner Horutoto Ruins is a nightmare with the vanilla map. Actually a lot of zones are; the vanilla maps don't show hidden areas (sure, fair enough), but they also don't show valid and open paths, so you just have to bumble along until you find the right path. Yuhtunga and Yhoator Jungle were also pretty awful with vanilla maps.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

When I came back to the game, I was still 75 and running around getting Survival Guides and went blindly through Ranguemont Pass. All of a sudden I had a half dozen evil eyes on me and got owned pretty quick. Now that’s nostalgia for vanilla XI right there.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

I recently did a clean reinstall of the game and forgot to use the marked map .dats for a while and my god, Inner Horutoto Ruins is a nightmare with the vanilla map. Actually a lot of zones are; the vanilla maps don't show hidden areas (sure, fair enough), but they also don't show valid and open paths, so you just have to bumble along until you find the right path. Yuhtunga and Yhoator Jungle were also pretty awful with vanilla maps.

I still hold that Yorcia Weald's map is one of the best and funniest examples of hostile game design in a long time. Sure, you're kind of used to Final Fantasy 11 having annoying map designs, being intentionally incomplete and sometimes even completely misleading, but then you zone into Yorcia, open up your map and see this glorious mess, whose sole wish in its entire hateful existence is for you to gently caress yourself:

Yet, somehow, once you get acclimated to the zone itself and compare it to player-marked versions on wikis, you learn how to read it, and it actually makes sense.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I always figured they made it bad on purpose to help emphasize you’re waaaay out in relatively uncharted territory.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Idk the territory looked charted as hell to me

Possibly over charted

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ort posted:

I always figured they made it bad on purpose to help emphasize you’re waaaay out in relatively uncharted territory.

Yeah it’s the classic FFXI move, thematically consistent but in practice a real kick in the dick.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bregor posted:

Yeah it’s the classic FFXI move, thematically consistent but in practice a real kick in the dick.

I do think in the smaller doses this worked really well. I loved in the beastmen home bases (Davoi, Oztroja, Beadeaux) that the innermost areas were just blank or burnt off. It really gave the impresison you were headed into dangerous, unfamiliar territory - especially when at 75 cap when even a single monster aggro would likely gently caress you up if you didn't have friends.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm at the nations mission where I have to do a BCNM fight (Windurst 2-3 for me). Can I do that with trusts or do I need actual humans?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
pretty sure it’s trust-able, you’ll find out soon enough I guess lol. what server?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm at the nations mission where I have to do a BCNM fight (Windurst 2-3 for me). Can I do that with trusts or do I need actual humans?

You can use trusts in every mission battlefield (except inexplicably Sandy 1-3).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just hit 30 on my first job - is it possible to get to expansion areas right away to unlock the expansion jobs or do I have to get certain mission progress for the nations/zilart stuff first?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I just hit 30 on my first job - is it possible to get to expansion areas right away to unlock the expansion jobs or do I have to get certain mission progress for the nations/zilart stuff first?

Rise of the Zilart: Yes, quite a few of the Zilart zones are embedded in vanilla zones anyways, so you've probably travelled to them already (Usually you can't travel to Norg until you've finished the rank 5 nation missions but I think Rhapsodies gets you there sooner)

Treasures of Aht Urhgan: Yes, although the quest to unlock travel to Aht Urhgan is a bit tedious at low levels.

Wings of the Goddess: Yes, any time, just need to unlock the past via cavernous Maws near Jeuno.

Adoulin: Yes, any time, but the quest to unlock access to Adoulin areas involves potentially travelling into dangerous areas (at your level) so it could be difficult.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 13, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone wanna help me with Windurst mission 3-2? It's the one where you have to go through the Three Mage Gate and I am only one mage. I'm on Asura.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Anyone wanna help me with Windurst mission 3-2? It's the one where you have to go through the Three Mage Gate and I am only one mage. I'm on Asura.

You actually can skip that one if you want! You just need enough rank points to unlock 3-3, which you can get by giving crystals to gate guards (the npcs that provide signet)

Although once you accept 3-2 I'm not sure if you can accept 3-3 or abandon it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Absolutely do not skip 3-2, you can do a subquest that will give you a charm to get past the gate by yourself, and if you don't do it you miss out on it forever.