Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Crackbone posted:

I can’t help feeling fatalistic about covid at this point. We’re almost 2 years in, and things are arguably worse than a year ago. We have a dedicated population that will not get vaccinated, and an even larger population that won’t take basic precautions in public. It appears we can’t stop covid from becoming endemic, so what now? Encourage masks and vaccines as the new social norm and build out dedicated COVID treatment centers/crematoriums?

If there's something to take hope from it's how quick we made the vaccines, but also that we didn't just develop the ones we have now and then stop. There's still a whole bunch of eggheads figuring out how to make new and better vaccines. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to invent one with sterilising immunity down the track. Or at least one that has high symptomatic protection that doesn't wear off after a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The thing I don't get the most about these people is the lack of willingness to do the bare minimum to engage with the established rules. I'm a white guy so we're talking min/max bonuses from the getgo for getting out of jail free but even I have a general awareness of "following the established protocols and doing what authority expects is a vital component to exercising these privileges". If I get pulled over by an officer I don't just smile and wave and say "haha, I'm white and male, let's move on" I eat poo poo and say "yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry sir" until they decide in their benevolence that my minor traffic violation isn't worth seriously loving up my day/record/life for. I count my blessings that works out for me and perhaps contributes to my willingness to drive 10% over with impunity but I'd never have the gall to get in a fight with flight attendants over a rule of wearing masks.

Like the dipshit coulda just worn it beneath their nose like every other piece of poo poo and that'd be that, they were complying. How do you get to the point where you're willing (or more likely unwilling to believe you would be) ejected from a flight for not putting on a cloth mask.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Requiring vaccinations is dumb in a country where the only proof is a little card (which btw can be forged or obtained via shady practices)

I don't know if there's a good way to track vaccinations without having people in some sort of national govt database, but Americans just won't do that :911:

Requiring vaccination is dumb if you don't already have mask mandates and closures. We blew past that point weeks ago and people are like "what if we require a vaccine card to enter a bar" - bitch no, bars should be loving closed right now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

The thing I don't get the most about these people is the lack of willingness to do the bare minimum to engage with the established rules. I'm a white guy so we're talking min/max bonuses from the getgo for getting out of jail free but even I have a general awareness of "following the established protocols and doing what authority expects is a vital component to exercising these privileges". If I get pulled over by an officer I don't just smile and wave and say "haha, I'm white and male, let's move on" I eat poo poo and say "yes sir, no sir, I'm sorry sir" until they decide in their benevolence that my minor traffic violation isn't worth seriously loving up my day/record/life for. I count my blessings that works out for me and perhaps contributes to my willingness to drive 10% over with impunity but I'd never have the gall to get in a fight with flight attendants over a rule of wearing masks.

Like the dipshit coulda just worn it beneath their nose like every other piece of poo poo and that'd be that, they were complying. How do you get to the point where you're willing (or more likely unwilling to believe you would be) ejected from a flight for not putting on a cloth mask.

They spent their lives campaigning against all the violence in movies, music, and video games so in their mind there is clearly some established link for "duhr I behave as the movie characters I see do" and all of the movies aimed at their demo are about rogue outlaw cowboys fighting against a government that won't let them gosh darn save the day

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Swann; letting covid-19 burn through the population and kill and maim them to own the libs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Greggster posted:

kill and maim them to own the libs

https://twitter.com/AlisonHoImes/status/1434139910290788355

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Greggster posted:

Swann; letting covid-19 burn through the population and kill and maim them to own the libs

Swann is in charge of making models of what happens when kids go back to school and I guess she made a realistic one bc it said a fuckload of kids get covid by christmas break.

I doubt she wants covid-19 to burn through the population but given the precautions we’re taking that’s the path we’re on. The article presented her point of view as a counterpoint to Monica Gandhi who says “The cases will start plummeting in mid- to late September and by mid-October, we will be in a manageable place, where the virus is a concern for health professionals, but not really for the general public.” Ghandi is Emily Oster-tier bad takes.

Dren fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 6, 2021

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has it ever been stated how Ivermectin works anyway?

I know the deworming gel I put on my cats works by being a mild muscle relaxer. Worms stay in the intestines by clamping down with their jaws and sucking blood, so when the medicine gets into the bloodstream it causes the muscles in the worm's jaw to relax so they fall off and then the animal can poo poo them out.

Is Ivermectin similar or is it a straight up poison?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kinda similar, it removes the helminths ability to regulate sodium intake, causing paralysis and then they get pooped.

If you want info on how ivermectin works against SARS-CoV2 (ish), you can read a sober overview here

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41429-021-00430-5

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is that guys son's name Issac ?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Stealing this from the schad thread:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Snakehandler revivalism in the Deep South, this time backed by Real Science

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tagra posted:

Stealing this from the schad thread:

Time to add it to this tier list

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Time to add it to this tier list

That HAS to be the product of foreign intelligence misinformation efforts, right? Everything is spelled properly, it’s well-organized and coherent, and there’s even a version number. Please, somebody tell me a Russian troll created and uploaded that, then high-fived his commanding officer and stepped out back for a smoke.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It's been updated

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 6, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Tried watching some college football this weekend and it broke my brain

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

…. BUT

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Koirhor posted:

Tried watching some college football this weekend and it broke my brain

Just lol if your brain was not broken already, in 2021. Just. Lol

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Just lol if your brain was not broken already, in 2021. Just. Lol
Get with the times. Having your brain broken once does not necessarily confer long-lasting immunity to getting it broken again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Boom

https://twitter.com/OhioCapJournal/status/1434932951893032974?s=19

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cool, now there’s probably a precedent for some chud hospital denying women contraceptives or something.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kinda similar, it removes the helminths ability to regulate sodium intake, causing paralysis and then they get pooped.

If you want info on how ivermectin works against SARS-CoV2 (ish), you can read a sober overview here

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41429-021-00430-5

That paper quotes quite a lot of studies that seem to find ivermectin effective. Presumably the devil is in the detail but you can easily see why people would be given the impression that poo poo works.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

Cool, now there’s probably a precedent for some chud hospital denying women contraceptives or something.

Looks like that's the case... Ya know, if the contraceptive is of dubious efficacy for preventing pregnancies and is prescribed by a doctor who didn't review the patient's clinical information nor talk to her doctors.

Because... Those seem to be the sticking points for this judge.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

gay picnic defence posted:

That paper quotes quite a lot of studies that seem to find ivermectin effective. Presumably the devil is in the detail but you can easily see why people would be given the impression that poo poo works.

I scanned through this, and the bulk of the article is just short summaries of possible mechanisms by which the drug could interact with the virus. There's a table of studies cited, and 12 of them were written before 2020, so those aren't going to be about covid specifically. But another ~20 are from from 2020 or 2021. These don't look like clinical trials, and the paper itself mentions these are mostly in vitro results.

In fact, the whole article has barely anything about clinical results. There's nothing in the entire "Results" section that I can find except for one mention of a trial involving a hamster model. The only reference to clinical trials on humans is actually in the "Introduction", although the meta analysis presented there does make a pretty strong claim:

quote:

Several doctor-initiated clinical trial protocols that aimed to evaluate outcomes, such as reduction in mortality figures, shortened length of intensive care unit stay and/or hospital stay and elimination of the virus with ivermectin use have been registered at the US ClinicalTrials.gov [7]. Real-time data is also available with a meta-analysis of 55 studies to date. As per data available on 16 May 2021, 100% of 36 early treatment and prophylaxis studies report positive effects (96% of all 55 studies). Of these, 26 studies show statistically significant improvements in isolation. Random effects meta-analysis with pooled effects using the most serious outcome reported 79% and 85% improvement for early treatment and prophylaxis respectively (RR 0.21 [0.11–0.37] and 0.15 [0.09–0.25]). The results were similar after exclusion based sensitivity analysis: 81% and 87% (RR 0.19 [0.14–0.26] and 0.13 [0.07–0.25]), and after restriction to 29 peer-reviewed studies: 82% and 88% (RR 0.18 [0.11–0.31] and 0.12 [0.05–0.30]). Statistically significant improvements were seen for mortality, ventilation, hospitalization, cases, and viral clearance. 100% of the 17 Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) for early treatment and prophylaxis report positive effects, with an estimated improvement of 73% and 83% respectively (RR 0.27 [0.18–0.41] and 0.17 [0.05–0.61]), and 93% of all 28 RCTs. These studies are tabulated in Table 1. The probability that an ineffective treatment generated results as positive for the 55 studies to date is estimated to be 1 in 23 trillion (p = 0.000000000000043). The consistency of positive results across a wide variety of cases has been remarkable. It is extremely unlikely that the observed results could have occurred by chance [8].

Unfortunately, there isn't an explanation of what rules or math they used to evaluate the 55 trials or how they determined what a "positive effect" was, nor how they weighted the results together. It could be legit or it could be manipulated/cherry-picked. There's no way to know since they don't provide the numbers they used from each trial and how they combined them.

Also, some (and it's not clear how much) of the data they used is unpublished early results from trials still in progress. Other than the paragraph I quoted, the only supporting data in the paper is the table here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41429-021-00430-5/tables/1

It's just a list of the trials/papers (by author name, not even paper title) and the type of trial. The result of each trial is not even summarized.

There is also this big warning at the top of the page:

quote:

22 June 2021 Editor’s Note: Readers are alerted that the conclusions of this paper are subject to criticisms that are being considered by the editors and the publisher. A further editorial response will follow the resolution of these issues.

And the article itself basically acknowledges that its focus is not the clinical trials at the end of the introduction, but rather it's a discussion of literature related to how ivermectin might interact with the covid virus:

quote:

This article aims to discuss the mechanism of action by summarizing the in vitro and in vivo evidence demonstrating the role of Ivermectin in COVID-19 as per the available literature over the years.

I would not eat a tube of apple flavored :horsedrugs: based on this article alone, but it may be interesting to read some of the clinical trials referenced (when they're complete).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bad Purchase posted:

I scanned through this, and the bulk of the article is just short summaries of possible mechanisms by which the drug could interact with the virus. There's a table of studies cited, and 12 of them were written before 2020, so those aren't going to be about covid specifically. But another ~20 are from from 2020 or 2021. These don't look like clinical trials, and the paper itself mentions these are mostly in vitro results.

Some of the papers they cite were in silico studies (computer simulations) which were proposing possible mechanisms for in vitro results, so they were one step even further removed from clinical studies.

Here's one which the paper sums up as "A study by Lehrer S et al observed that Ivermectin docked in the region of leucine 91 of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and histidine 378 of the host cell ACE-2 receptor blocking its entry into the host cell" but the paper itself concludes:

quote:

The ivermectin docking site we identified, between the viral spike and the ACE2 receptor, may interfere with the attachment of the spike to the human cell membrane. Our observation is consistent with the findings of Caly et al. and Patel et al. Clinical trials now underway should determine whether ivermectin is an effective treatment for SARS-Cov2 infection.
(Bolding mine)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought reddit nuked THEDONALDWIN, or did they give a wrist slap or did they do a paper thin name change?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

PhazonLink posted:

I thought reddit nuked THEDONALDWIN, or did they give a wrist slap or did they do a paper thin name change?
They moved off of Reddit to their own site, probably hosted on a nazi company’s servers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zugzwang posted:

They moved off of Reddit to their own site, probably hosted on a nazi company’s servers.

Yeah they're hosted on Epik, the nazi hosting company that won't touch the abortion poo poo lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just a reminder that you should laugh in the face of every shitlib who still believes that these people will respond to rational discourse. They live in an alternate reality, despite all evidence

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Just what America’s medical system needed: lawyers and judges.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm sitting here stewing at 6 AM at how badly these conservatives are owning the libs by dying in droves and eating farm animal paste. They're living their best life with no fear meanwhile I'm actively not catching COVID-19. Just beyond upsetting.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm sitting here stewing at 6 AM at how badly these conservatives are owning the libs by dying in droves and eating farm animal paste. They're living their best life with no fear meanwhile I'm actively not catching COVID-19. Just beyond upsetting.

https://twitter.com/getvaxxedstat/status/1435035548469501953

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

These people being a direct threat to my family really short circuits the ol' compassion organ. All I can feel now is... owned

Anyway, is there a process by which doctors can turn these people out so we don't have repeat tragedies like the man with treatable pancreatitis who couldn't get a bed?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GOD IM loving OWNED AGAIN MAKE IT STOP IT HURTS IM TIRED OF LOSING!!!

But seriously....I......it's cruelty, and I own up to it. But I'm glad these idiots are killing themselves. I'm glad. gently caress them. This isn't something like not smoking or eating only healthy or whatever. It's just two very basic things. Wear a mask while in public. Get your vaccination. It's easy, and effortless to do, and everything goes back to normal. It's just pathetic. Beyond pathetic. Your ego is your only real enemy in this life and not admitting you're wrong or being contrarian to own some nebulous political entity or satisfy an ideology is some serious low IQ poo poo.

The thing I hate about COVID-19 is it makes me feel this way about other people. Before COVID-19 it was effortless to see the good in other people. But now if someone loudly and proudly huffs their own farts and is anti-vaxx I just think to myself how they're gonna be crying to doctors to be saved and their family is gonna be shocked and setting up those gofundme's after you die. And none of them will have learned a god drat thing.

....Phew. That felt good to let out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fallom posted:

Anyway, is there a process by which doctors can turn these people out so we don't have repeat tragedies like the man with treatable pancreatitis who couldn't get a bed?

https://twitter.com/getvaxxedstat/status/1435025255936847873

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought triage was supposed to be about who had better chances, not who was sicker

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fallom posted:

I thought triage was supposed to be about who had better chances, not who was sicker

Yes, but there's often a pretty strong correlation.

And to echo the above, I'm glad these idiots are dying, I just wish they had the grace to do it in their own homes if they've already rejected modern medicine.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I hate to ask this, but do we know who this is to any extent?

She posts a lot of very satisfying twitter-bait kind of stories, and part of me is wondering if she isn't a feel-good fake account for people who think antivaxxers are morons. (e: as all people should, but still.)

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Fallom posted:

It's kind of both. You don't want to waste limited resources on someone who's likely to die anyway, but you also don't want to spend them on someone who isn't critically ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I hate to ask this, but do we know who this is to any extent?

She posts a lot of very satisfying twitter-bait kind of stories, and part of me is wondering if she isn't a feel-good fake account for people who think antivaxxers are morons. (e: as all people should, but still.)

It’s just as real as that Twitter thread about the guy feuding with the annoying lady on the airplane