Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mr. Fix It posted:

i don't know why milo even tries when roehm and yukio both already nailed the gay fascist thing. get your own thing.

What do Japanese nationalists/fascists even want to do? Like so much of fascism is kicking or outright killing immigrants but Japan has no immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

punk rebel ecks posted:

What do Japanese nationalists/fascists even want to do? Like so much of fascism is kicking or outright killing immigrants but Japan has no immigrants.

Yukio Mishima wanted to restore actual power back to the Emperor, which remains popular with certain far right folks. Also there are plenty of immigrants and otherwise non-Japanese residents in Japan. Regardless of that, fascists aren't known for their rationally derived beliefs.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've always had the suspicion that Milo has been faking. Mishima was the real deal though.

You should google what Milo is up to these days. Now he's a "reformed sodomite". He had to find a new angle to stay relevant.

Weatherman posted:

ftfy. The ruling class are the biggest patrons of the soaplands and kyabakura as is their Amaterasu-given right. See that dude who was caught attending "sexy yoga classes" with a former hostess, and the entire existence of the Entertainer visa.

Yeah, I considered phrasing it "no sex outside of marriage... mistresses don't count"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

It's because one of the tenets of fascism is selectively glorifying a past that didn't necessarily exist in the way they wish it did.

Yeah they already had that covered with Bushido.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yukio Mishima wanted to restore actual power back to the Emperor, which remains popular with certain far right folks. Also there are plenty of immigrants and otherwise non-Japanese residents in Japan. Regardless of that, fascists aren't known for their rationally derived beliefs.

Why would someone want the emperor to have power again? It's not like they have some "grand vision" like some strongmen, they're just nobility.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would someone want the emperor to have power again? It's not like they have some "grand vision" like some strongmen, they're just nobility.

That's the point. They romanticise the idea of a class who are purpose-bred for rule, rather than just being amateurs and johnny-come-latelys. Like sheepdogs, except when you blow a whistle and do a hand signal they write out an entire infrastructure plan for you.

I shouldn't need to explain why all that is a crock of poo poo, but that's the appeal of an aristocracy.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

captkirk posted:

You should google what Milo is up to these days. Now he's a "reformed sodomite". He had to find a new angle to stay relevant.

He also has or is pretending to have covid and allegedly injecting himself with farm animal ivermectin.

At least everyone thought Mishima was a clown outside of his literary and limited acting stuff. People outside of Japan have much more of an interest in him from my understanding because his works and persona reinforce a lot of stereotypes about Japan.

punk rebel ecks posted:

There always been a weird thing far right Japanese political circles that's some combination of romanticizing a shogun like figure or modern dictator, which I think was also influenced by writers and theorists in Germany and elsewhere in Europe in the early 20th century. Most the coups that went off before the Second Sino-Japanese War were usually some combination of make the emperor supreme leader and then liquidate the zaibatsu companies. They're mostly just using the same playbook but took out getting rid of the corporate oligarchs because they're not soldiers from poor families.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

People outside of Japan have much more of an interest in him from my understanding because his works and persona reinforce a lot of stereotypes about Japan.

Pictures of Mishima mostly remind me of oendan... which makes sense I guess. He was a cheerleader. But for fascism.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If I remember my World War 2 history correctly, the Emperor not having some grand vision to back up his nebulous-but-still-potent authority was a feature rather than a big since it allowed the military to be the primary guiding hand on the government because they only answered to him and not any other part of the civilian government.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sanguinia posted:

If I remember my World War 2 history correctly, the Emperor not having some grand vision to back up his nebulous-but-still-potent authority was a feature rather than a big since it allowed the military to be the primary guiding hand on the government because they only answered to him and not any other part of the civilian government.

Yes and no, the military factions were not unified.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yes and no, the military factions were not unified.

I mean, yeah, of course, my bigger point was that it was the Civilian Government left in the lurch as the myriad military factions squabbled among themselves to find a consensus they were happy with (or just did their own poo poo if consensus couldn't be reached) and it was directly because the only part of the Civilian Government they theoretically answered to had no vision or will to check them (and also they might have just killed and replaced if he tried depending on which historian you ask)

This is what I would assume any hyper-right wing Emperor Restoration movement is after, government by military authority with a puppet emperor who's "real power," is not in fact real.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I still think that concept of "monarchy" is so insanely stupid.

I can't believe I'm saying this but at least with fascism leader's are chosen based on "the vision of the ideology". But monarchy is just like "lol I'm the rulers son so I'm automatically the best to rule!"

I'm familiar with political bloodlines but nowhere that comes to mind practices it that strict outside North Korea (maybe the Saudis?).

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

If you believe the King's family is blessed by divine power and that's why he's king its easier to justify the people who have his blood getting to be king after him. Also if you want a less religion oriented reason its presumably easy for people to assume that if a king is doing a good job you'll want someone who he raised and thus presumably similar to him to continue the good times.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

If you believe the King's family is blessed by divine power

"Divine power"? This reads like some middle ages poo poo. I just find it crazy there are people from full developed nations that support this stuff.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Divine power"? This reads like some middle ages poo poo. I just find it crazy there are people from full developed nations that support this stuff.

I was talking about the middle ages, I assumed you were too because you lambasting the entire concept of monarchy and presumably the fact that it was EVER thought of as a good idea, not just that some people still like it now. I didn't realize you were focusing exclusively on monarchy in a modern context, so my bad.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

I was talking about the middle ages, I assumed you were too because you lambasting the entire concept of monarchy and presumably the fact that it was EVER thought of as a good idea, not just that some people still like it now. I didn't realize you were focusing exclusively on monarchy in a modern context, so my bad.

Nah, it's okay. I should have been more specific.

Monarchy was always stupid, even in the Middle Ages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems extra funny if you're going for 'tradition' since from what I gather of Japanese history, the Emperor has been a figurehead with purely ceremonial importance for more of its history than not. Europeans initially took for the Shogun for a king and the Emperor for a pope.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

truly there is no form of right wing thought that doesn't rely on gluing puzzle pieces together to create your imaginary "good old days."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems extra funny if you're going for 'tradition' since from what I gather of Japanese history, the Emperor has been a figurehead with purely ceremonial importance for more of its history than not. Europeans initially took for the Shogun for a king and the Emperor for a pope.

Yeah, there was an illusion the Emperor was in charge when the Meiji Restoration happened by the Meiji Emperor was a figurehead and his son, the Taisho Emperor, was even more so of one due to being severely mentally disabled. It was obvious too that Hirohito was just a figurehead floating between military faction leaders while being mad they kept lying to him because he realized how things were going. After the war Hirohito became more of a British style monarch but he was literally unable to speak to most people and didn't really have any sort of backbone considering how MacArthur owned him by ghosting him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they didn't can the Emperor was because they realized he was an ultimately powerless symbol that didn't have much part in the war, let alone its conduct.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the reason was because they wanted to keep a unifying symbol around and so they made sure no one spoke a word about him during the war crimes tribunals

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, yeah, of course, my bigger point was that it was the Civilian Government left in the lurch as the myriad military factions squabbled among themselves to find a consensus they were happy with (or just did their own poo poo if consensus couldn't be reached) and it was directly because the only part of the Civilian Government they theoretically answered to had no vision or will to check them (and also they might have just killed and replaced if he tried depending on which historian you ask)

This is what I would assume any hyper-right wing Emperor Restoration movement is after, government by military authority with a puppet emperor who's "real power," is not in fact real.

A failed coup allowed the military to gain control over the civilian government https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_26_Incident

The Emperor would have been a puppet for any group controlling Japan because he had no real desire to get involved. The surrender of Japan was also effectively initiated by Hirohito and the military was planning to do another coup even though it would be going against the will of the emperor.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought the reason was because they wanted to keep a unifying symbol around and so they made sure no one spoke a word about him during the war crimes tribunals

Eventually but they did poll the Japanese people's opinion on the Emperor and abdication, which was majority indifference to support. I'm sure Hirohito being a walking hanko helped their decision.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Yeah, there was an illusion the Emperor was in charge when the Meiji Restoration happened by the Meiji Emperor was a figurehead and his son, the Taisho Emperor, was even more so of one due to being severely mentally disabled. It was obvious too that Hirohito was just a figurehead floating between military faction leaders while being mad they kept lying to him because he realized how things were going. After the war Hirohito became more of a British style monarch but he was literally unable to speak to most people and didn't really have any sort of backbone considering how MacArthur owned him by ghosting him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they didn't can the Emperor was because they realized he was an ultimately powerless symbol that didn't have much part in the war, let alone its conduct.

Is there a good source for more information about the exact nature of the Meiji government and how it played out in practice? I've been starting to study it as part of larger reading into modern Japanese history and the way its so diffuse and vague with so little seeming accountability as the constitution was written is fascinating to me, especially with how one of the main sources of theoretical accountability was on paper the Emperor but how it basically never actually worked that way because even Meiji himself was seemingly not a very powerful leader, and every Emperor that came after him was only weaker.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but at least with fascism leader's are chosen based on "the vision of the ideology". But monarchy is just like "lol I'm the rulers son so I'm automatically the best to rule!"

I'm familiar with political bloodlines but nowhere that comes to mind practices it that strict outside North Korea (maybe the Saudis?).

Monarchy's advantage over nothing at all is that - in theory, at least - you have a pre-determined successor lined up if the current ruler dies, so you don't have to have a civil war every time you need a new leader.

Of course, once you've gotten used to the idea of having a pre-determined successor lined up you can start experimenting with the advanced ruleset, like "having a pre-determined successor who might be any good at the job, of working age, and not brain-dead".

So I think I'd call it primitive rather than stupid, it's kind of a step on the road to better government types.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

please enjoy this picture of three, possibly four emperors, eventually, and family with some p problematic dolls

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

im pretty sure the reason was macarthur wanted to have an emperor under his thumb

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Gort posted:

Monarchy's advantage over nothing at all is that - in theory, at least - you have a pre-determined successor lined up if the current ruler dies, so you don't have to have a civil war every time you need a new leader.

The Onin war would like to have a word with you. Also, the Battle of Sekigahara.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Monarchies have one great advantage, they are socially stable. One man with a vision, can easily be replaced by another man with a vision. And that man could be any charismatic colonel in the country. But with a monarchy, there are only a few options. The first son, his brothers...maybe his uncles. Dynasties tend to last centuries, dictatorships a few decades.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

captkirk posted:

The Onin war would like to have a word with you. Also, the Battle of Sekigahara.

I did say, "In theory". There are a lot of times when succession from one monarch to another was more-or-less smooth, and also times when it was not.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sanguinia posted:

Is there a good source for more information about the exact nature of the Meiji government and how it played out in practice? I've been starting to study it as part of larger reading into modern Japanese history and the way its so diffuse and vague with so little seeming accountability as the constitution was written is fascinating to me, especially with how one of the main sources of theoretical accountability was on paper the Emperor but how it basically never actually worked that way because even Meiji himself was seemingly not a very powerful leader, and every Emperor that came after him was only weaker.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/history-of-japan/id635736811

Isaac Meyer did his PhD on modern Japan, and his podcast is really good for that, although it's rather dry.

Also, having less civil wars is a huge concern historically. Compared to tyranny, monarchy has limits based on ritual and tradition. And all those rituals and traditions may not have any logical meaning, but they provide monarchy with way more stability than an autocracy where the only rule is having the most force/power/vision. It's why early modern monarchs spend so much effort getting educated cronies to look for old rights and privileges to abuse, instead of just saying they want to seize more power to centralize the kingdom. Monarchy is all about insisting autocratic power comes from ritual and tradition, and this gives them more predictability and stability in return for a bit of power. Tyrannies don't even try to pretend that their power comes from anything other than the point of a sword.

This focuses on ancient Greece, but monarchy has at least some chance of making it past the 4th generation of autocratic leader. Tyranny almost never even gets that far.
https://acoup.blog/2021/07/09/fireside-friday-july-9-2021/

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 9, 2021

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/09/08/national/taro-kono-vaccine-domestic-trials/

American data on vaccines couldn't be trusted because the diets and foods were different. If a cheeseburger makes the vaccine safe to take then that's a pretty fierce dunk on nihonjinron.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The funniest part is that Japan was the first country to approve that antibody treatment that Trump took.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The funniest part is that Japan was the first country to approve that antibody treatment that Trump took.

You should check out the approval process that Viagra took versus birth control pills in Japan.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

It's Kishida. Beat out Kono in the second round of voting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There were whispers that Noda ran only to prevent Kono from getting a majority in the first round. But looking at the first round's results, I don't think Kono was ever gonna get that majority.

quote:

Many political pundits had expected Kono to win the first round by using his general popularity to gain prefectural chapter votes that were distributed based on ballots cast by rank-and-file party members and supporters.

But Kishida ended up with 256 votes, ahead of the 255 for Kono, 188 for Takaichi and 63 for Noda 63.

Votes were weighted equally in the first round between LDP lawmakers and the rank-and-filers and supporters through the 47 prefectural chapters.

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14450169

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh spiffy, another Nippon Kaigi fucker.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

edogawa rando posted:

Oh spiffy, another Nippon Kaigi fucker.

Did you think the NK wouldn’t get the nod? The progressive wing in Japan doesn’t have the institutional or popular support it needs in a country where the overwhelming political ideology is “don’t rock the boat.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
On the plus side it looks like the new guy is going to restart a lot of the reactors, hopefully after safety updates

https://twitter.com/Knjshiraishi/status/1443106560985628677?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also on the plus side, he does want to stimulate the economy with trillions (yen) in spending on aiding lower incomes, struggling regional areas and the tourism industry. A stark opposite to Abenomics. That could go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah my hope is he is looking at Germany and Australia and going "Well, fossil dependency is an issue if you decarbonize".

The only concern is he hasn't made it clear if this includes new plants, other than it'll be up the Japanese voters if they build new ones.