Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Davincie posted:

its almost always optimal in anbennar to integrate (only edge case is getting non subterrrean races out of holds)
This is actually correct. At full integration you don't have unrest penalties, just for some reason reaching that level of tolerance is only really possible through indirect means (accepting a culture of that groupa nd getting a few plus tolerance events)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

ilitarist posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/eu4-development-diary-7th-of-september-2021.1489871/

Mali missions.

As Mali you can destroy European economy. Even with a disclaimer and limited effect on player countries I think it's dumb.

I think you mean it rules! The gold thing is only for 15 years and the inflation depends on how much of the economy is trade based (and you have to be dominating trade to use it so you're reducing their own income). Absolutely doing a Mali playthrough after that comes out.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

ilitarist posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/eu4-development-diary-7th-of-september-2021.1489871/

Mali missions.

As Mali you can destroy European economy. Even with a disclaimer and limited effect on player countries I think it's dumb.
It's extremely dumb, yes.
But, more importantly, it's extremely awesome and a funny finale to a victorious underdog campaign.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Eh, maybe it's cool to have a nuke button at the time when you've already won the game. I wouldn't mind to have something like that in general. Having Mali be the only country to do something like that is what bothers me. Maybe they do something like that with a lot of countries. Let Zanzibar get Metal Gear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zeron posted:

I think you mean it rules! The gold thing is only for 15 years and the inflation depends on how much of the economy is trade based (and you have to be dominating trade to use it so you're reducing their own income). Absolutely doing a Mali playthrough after that comes out.

Same!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ilitarist posted:

Eh, maybe it's cool to have a nuke button at the time when you've already won the game. I wouldn't mind to have something like that in general. Having Mali be the only country to do something like that is what bothers me. Maybe they do something like that with a lot of countries. Let Zanzibar get Metal Gear.

Yeah like you say, it's a "I win" button and I can't imagine the AI will ever fire it even if it wasn't nerfed against players. Doesn't seem so different to revoking the privilegia which only the HRE gets to do. Seems fine imo

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Not sure what I should be doing in my current game. It's 1661 and I just feel completely hemmed in. I've formed Prussia and I'm not sure where I can go next.

Austria ate Bohemia and Hungary and is a monster. I've formed an alliance with Poland and the Ottomans, so I'm going to start hell wars with them every 20 odd years to try and slowly chip them down a bit.

Sweden owns all of Scandinavia and a good chunk of Russia. They are also allied with GB, and their combined fleets just wreck me. And to add insult to injury, Sweden ate up the rest of Denmark about 6 months before I was about to declare on them.

Most of the minors in Germany are allied to either France or Austria. And the reformation was a big wet fart, so I'm basically the only protestant power. So everyone hates me.

I have a foothold on the Ivory Coast and want to leapfrog to SE Asia, but it seems like all the big colonizers are allied, so if I go after something owned by Spain or Portugal I'm going to get wrecked by a super power alliance.

I feel like I just need to put the game on speed 5, wait 50 years, and see what the alliances look like then.

E: found a weak ally to Holland to drag them into a war, now I'm going to see if I can peel off enough provinces to have a chain of trade charters all the way to China.

Since I'm in Northern Europe my main trade node is lubeck and I can't hope to compete in the channel. Is it worth dominating and collecting in the ivory coast node to cut off that trade from getting to Europe?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 7, 2021

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

frankly I'd be way more worried about the "gold provinces can't deplete and don't give inflation" mission estate reward than I am the "destroy europe's economy one" unless we really get some massive nerfs to concentrate development because no inflation/no depletion gold mines with thousands of development sound...rather strong

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does it ever become feasible to force covert nations? It seems like anything bigger then a one or two province nation the war score required is always over 100%

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Demon_Corsair posted:

Since I'm in Northern Europe my main trade node is lubeck and I can't hope to compete in the channel. Is it worth dominating and collecting in the ivory coast node to cut off that trade from getting to Europe?

usually the best way to do that is to dominate the ivory coast as well as you can, but also make sure to own the cape trade node, so you can set up a pseudo end node there instead. Basically if you own the cape, and own the ivory coast you can collect in the cape and cause as little runoff into the ivory coast as possible. If you can't do that, you're probably going to have to just take small bites off everyone around you until you're the biggest dog in central europe, then big dick your way into whatever colonies you want.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does it ever become feasible to force covert nations? It seems like anything bigger then a one or two province nation the war score required is always over 100%

Practically, outside of being the emperor and using his interaction to do it to other imperial states no, technically there is a late game theocracy reform that makes it 25% cheaper but it's too little too late.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Barring any additional modifiers its the same cost as full annexing them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think Crusader states can stack bonuses to make it trivial.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bengal update:

Man you need A LOT of territories to create Hindustan. I got a colony started in Baja California also, to eventually get to Ottawa.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Its a bit hard to get excited about the new dev diary imo when leviathan took about a year to come out, at which point it broke the game for what, another one or two months? It will be nice if everything works but I'm not holding my breath. I do wonder what changes are going to be made to the map, though.

I think a good addition to this patch if its covering Africa would be some kind of "Europeans gently caress off" war goal, where if you are just trying to take the one province on your coastline that Portugal has colonised you can just get higher war score for occupying it, so you don't have to sit on the province for years or ship troops all the way to Europe and seige stuff just to get the European power to give up the war. Maybe you get it if you border/claim a trade company province or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From Johan, in response to someone asking if they'll be map changes in Africa:

quote:

We are not planning at changing the map more in EU4's lifecycle. I am tired of people's savegames being broken.
Also, the upcoming content is a regional content pack, so I guess they're back to doing those. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but these do seem like the kinds of things you'd do if you'd rather focus on an upcoming sequel. If their mechanics-focused gameplay designers and map designers are still laying out the groundwork for EU5, then the content designers (events, missions, etc) would be free to whip out a few regional content packs for EU4 to flesh out the remaining areas that are lacking in missions and such.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Red Bones posted:

Its a bit hard to get excited about the new dev diary imo when leviathan took about a year to come out, at which point it broke the game for what, another one or two months?

The base game is still broken, isn't it? Natives have ubermegapolises, concentrating dev allows you to do the same in your capital and AI can't do anything about it. From what I understand, to remove those features you have to turn off not just Leviathan but Conquest of Paradise too. I'm waiting for a promised rework of those systems in 1.32. Of course, it's better if you don't play vanilla, Anbennar removes this broken stuff and seems to be working fine.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 8, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s ridiculous how completely Anbennar has revitalised EU4 for me. I was basically done with it for a while and suddenly there’s a whole new lease of life.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
How would you feel about a system where generals or even armies betrayed you instead of having random rebel stacks pop up?

Like, if you pissed off the noble estates then a noble general in charge of an army would rebel against you.

Too frustrating or frustrating enough?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Have you played Imperator Rome? That is literally a big mechanic in that game.

I found it mostly more annoying than anything else. Sure, it encouraged you to have lots of generals with smaller stacks, but that just leads to more micro with your armies. I am bad at any sort of warfare that isn't 'get more men, don't fight on bad terrain'.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s ridiculous how completely Anbennar has revitalised EU4 for me. I was basically done with it for a while and suddenly there’s a whole new lease of life.

I think it was during my Venai playthrough, after forming Aelnar and going through the Rianvisa and subsequently building Elf Guantanamo Bay in Fantasy Greenland that I realised I absolutely adored the mod, perhaps more than the base gain. It was the most fun I've had with the game in years.

Am now playing with the Eastern dwarves, who get ALL THE CANNONS.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ilitarist posted:

The base game is still broken, isn't it? Natives have ubermegapolises, concentrating dev allows you to do the same in your capital and AI can't do anything about it. From what I understand, to remove those features you have to turn off not just Leviathan but Conquest of Paradise too. I'm waiting for a promised rework of those systems in 1.32. Of course, it's better if you don't play vanilla, Anbennar removes this broken stuff and seems to be working fine.

I mean prior to the hotfixes it was literally broken in the sense of, there were features that had been added that literally didn't function, one of the hotfix patches was breaking savegames, etc. At the moment the game works, and outside of concentrate dev the worst of the balance issues got ironed out. I don't even think the north american native stuff is a huge deal, tbh, outside of tribal development (just like contentrate dev) breaking the view development mapmode. Prior to Leviathan it was equally ahistorical, the entire eastern seaboard started out depopulated and it was always fully colonised with European-culture provinces by the mid-1500s. Now by the mid-1550s the eastern seaboard is a bunch of 8-9 province native republics and duchies that the AI never bothers invading unless, maybe, they already have a colony started in Florida. It's kind of dumb, but it was also dumb how it was set up in previous patches too, and it's not as if it makes the game any harder to play because the NA natives are still very very easy to conquer. The way EU4 handles colonisation as a strict dichotomy of 'this province is either empty and colonisable or occupied and non-colonisable', and the ease of projecting military force overseas and into other continents, is always going to make something like the colonisation of North America impossible to model 'historically'.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

My bad succumbing to overusing the word "broken". You're right, the game seem to be functioning in the basic sense all the unit and functional tests are running. It's imbalanced at the moment. Still if they release an expansion before giving me a proper balance fix - and I'm not asking for perfect balance, I just want development to not be so ridiculous - I'll be very disappointed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

How would you feel about a system where generals or even armies betrayed you instead of having random rebel stacks pop up?

Like, if you pissed off the noble estates then a noble general in charge of an army would rebel against you.

Too frustrating or frustrating enough?
Depends. Early game that's crippling as a small nation with only one army and in the late game it's much easier to not piss off the nobles and you have multiple armies and can more easily take the hit to money and manpower as well.

Making rebels stacks grow larger instead maybe. And having supported rebels spawn much stronger and more numerous as well. But I'm obviously not good at game design. :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Beefeater1980 posted:

100% agreed. I've probably played more EU4 because of Anbennar recently than the entire last year combined. It's just so good with how many different mechanics and regional conflicts/powers that the urge to go full world conqueror has been staved off.

Also, I've got to say that personally I find it quite fun to have a long-term goal like "Unite the elves" or "Go full orc supremacy" rather than boring ol' history blob.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 8, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I do wish there was a better primer to the setting easily accessible though. I kinda badly misunderstood the nature of Corintar and the fight against the Orcs, not realising the starting ruler is half-Orc. I just have a sneaking suspicion he wasn't too happy with the genocide button.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Have you played Imperator Rome? That is literally a big mechanic in that game.

I found it mostly more annoying than anything else. Sure, it encouraged you to have lots of generals with smaller stacks, but that just leads to more micro with your armies. I am bad at any sort of warfare that isn't 'get more men, don't fight on bad terrain'.

I did not, although I heard it got better after launch.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I do wish there was a better primer to the setting easily accessible though. I kinda badly misunderstood the nature of Corintar and the fight against the Orcs, not realising the starting ruler is half-Orc. I just have a sneaking suspicion he wasn't too happy with the genocide button.

The anbennar fandom wiki isn't too bad a reference for the history.

Also my own quibble with the minor population mechanic is that I really wish there was a non-genocide way to spread your own peoples to other conquered states that wasn't purely random fleeing events. Like, I'm sure it would probably cause the engine and/or your computer to cry for mercy but it would be nice to have intermixing of the various peoples in regions within your country - especially between integrated populations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rynoto posted:

The anbennar fandom wiki isn't too bad a reference for the history.

The wiki is pretty terrible. There's like, maybe a two sentence description of any given thing if you're lucky. More often, it's barely even mentioned, especially for a specific country where it generally just gives their Ideas and that's it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is the Anbennar setting an actual thing or is it just some guy’s d&d campaign

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jay Rust posted:

Apparently some guy's homebrew setting specifically for EU4, haven't heard anything about this being from a former rpg setting

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

One of the starting quotes is about Anbennar the mod being from (IIRC) 2018 and Anbennar the Setting being from 2015. That sounds like it's someones D&D, campaign, but it's not explicit. Seems likely though, what with Adventurers being an entire Estate, and Corin explicitly leading an adventuring party, whose non-Lothane Bluetusk members can pop up as advisors.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Whatever the origin, it's a pretty good job of taking kitchen sink DnD fantasy, and turning into a good EU4 setting. EU4 is absolutely the wrong game for most of the big popular settings. EU: Middle Earth would be a godawful representation of that world.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
The mod itself is a hobby project, but the creator is apparently an actual designer working for Rare and worked out most of the details of the setting as part of his literal dissertation for a game design degree.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there any way to do a limited war in this game? I want to take a few of France's colonial possessions of their hands but it feels like over kill that I'm going to have to sack and occupy Paris to do it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No war but total war

feller
Jul 5, 2006

wow Rare still exists?? and it has a dr. game designer??

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
If there is I'd really like to know about it too!

But I think you can limit the war a bit by making the cb specifically for those provinces, if possible, and then occupy and hold them for the ticking warscore. Alternatively if you can do a superiority cb you can get ticking warscore by just killing French stacks hanging out on your forts and then grab the provinces in the peace deal.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Whatever the origin, it's a pretty good job of taking kitchen sink DnD fantasy, and turning into a good EU4 setting. EU4 is absolutely the wrong game for most of the big popular settings. EU: Middle Earth would be a godawful representation of that world.

True, though a lot of setting and lore seems to be specifically tailored to EUIV's needs (like colonisation en the war of reformation) so I think the connection with whoever dnd campaign this used to be, is tangential at best now.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Well this game may just be completely over. Sweden, which has blobed massively and become Scandinavia, just became the Jr partner in a personal union under Great Britain. If GB eats Scandinavia I am completely hosed.

How can I encourage and help Scandinavia break out of the PU? And is there any way for me to break up Scandinavia?

E: Going to war to contest it. Not sure if I have any hope of winning, since I can't get at gb directly, their navy is going to obliterate mine. Not that it matters, I'm fighting Great Britain, Scandinavia, Spain and Portugal and my only ally of not is Poland. GB and Spain are great powers 1 and 2 and I'm number 8. And since I'm basically the only major protestant nation, everyone else loving hates me. Rip this loving run.

At the start of this war the man power totals are 400k vs 100k infantry.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there any way to do a limited war in this game? I want to take a few of France's colonial possessions of their hands but it feels like over kill that I'm going to have to sack and occupy Paris to do it.

Sort of. If you get a claim on one of those possessions or use the Colonialism war goal then you can at least get ticking warscore, but you better believe the AI is going to treat it like a total war.