Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Defenestrategy posted:

Am I having a seizure?

ARGs and seizures can be hard to tell apart. Check their post history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I was going to go with schizophrenia

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volmarias posted:

I was going to go with schizophrenia

i would advise all people who "get" infosec to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to etcetera etcetera

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh hey it's the ARG weirdo again

Bye ARG weirdo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ProtonMail is in a bit of hot water for handing over the IP address of one of their users, a French climate activist. It seems they received an order from local Swiss law enforcement, which was working with the French authorities via Europol. The buried lede is that Proton is apparently now receiving thousands of these orders per year. To their credit, they're fighting many of them.

Yahoo! News posted:

ProtonMail’s public disclosures also log an alarming rise in requests for data by Swiss authorities.

According to its transparency report, ProtonMail received 13 orders from Swiss authorities back in 2017 — but that had swelled to over three and a half thousand (3,572!) by 2020.

The number of foreign requests to Swiss authorities which are being approved has also risen, although not as steeply — with ProtonMail reporting receiving 13 such requests in 2017 — rising to 195 in 2020.

The company says it complies with lawful requests for user data but it also says it contests orders where it does not believe them to be lawful. And its reporting shows an increase in contested orders -- with ProtonMail contesting three orders back in 2017 but in 2020 it pushed back against 750 of the data requests it received.
Source: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/protonmail-logged-ip-address-french-114607314.html

Users are up in arms, and the company is in damage control mode. Here's a twitter thread from Proton CEO Andy Yen:

https://twitter.com/andyyen/status/1434665927631679491

Here's the company's full statement on the matter: https://protonmail.com/blog/climate-activist-arrest/. tl;dr: they're blaming the Swiss government for overstepping, and reassuring users that only metadata can be compromised this way, not the data itself. (But heyyy, how important could metadata be, right?) They also promise to be clearer to their users about what their encryption model does and does not protect against, and they'll be pushing Tor/VPN use a little harder.

My hot take is that this looks bad at first, but on reflection, really the only thing Proton is at fault for is implying too much about their security and user protections. The theme of their entire business is user privacy and security, which means they should have done a better job of publicizing the stuff in their transparency report, and educating users about what the company can and cannot be legally forced to do, before an incident like this made news. They certainly didn't lie, but they were less forthcoming than they might have been.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love that anybody is shocked that Proton still has to comply with legal requests if threatened. No poo poo.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I love that anybody is shocked that Proton still has to comply with legal requests if threatened. No poo poo.

That was my take away as well. Literally any other company would've done the same.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My understanding was that a service like this is supposed to make the consequences of their compliance useless. "Yes, we will give you all the metadata it is possible for us to collect, which is nothing/meaningless"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My understanding was that a service like this is supposed to make the consequences of their compliance useless. "Yes, we will give you all the metadata it is possible for us to collect, which is nothing/meaningless"

Apparently that's what they did, and then the government forced them to start collecting data, which they revealed in their transparency report. At least that's what I'm gathering from this.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
p much yeah, France -> Europol -> Swiss authorities forced them to collect the IP address of a user.

As an aside, interesting to see how many companies have straight up built law enforcement request portals.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I guess customers expected them to be entirely incapable of doing this. They perhaps weren't advertising the fact that they were.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess customers expected them to be entirely incapable of doing this. They perhaps weren't advertising the fact that they were.
Those customers aren't the warmest buns in the basket, then.

The overlap between countries that have good-enough infrastructure to be able to host something like that, and dont have laws on the books that the authorities can use to enforce something like that, is an ever-shrinking one.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 7, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Tryzzub posted:

As an aside, interesting to see how many companies have straight up built law enforcement request portals.

Having worked a few of those, I suspect it's often because such requests come with timeline requirements that are...not generous. So having a request be sent to some generic ticketing system that takes a day or two for anyone to look at, then takes another day for the comms back and forth with the LEA to clarify basic details, etc., and now you're backing up against the required reporting date.

I mean, it's not like having a portal makes it more likely for a company to get those requests--they're gonna get them regardless. Having a portal just makes life a little easier on whoever has to actually service them on the company's side.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had an interesting debate at work yesterday about docker containers.

Essentially I was arguing that loading up containers with a poo poo ton of security tools/agents/etc may not be the way to go. We've just made our attack surface that much wider, more susceptible to supply chain attacks. The counter argument was that it hasnt happened with any of our vendors in a major way yet and that the tools are all necessary for compliance reasons.

Im not sure I have a strong opinion one way or the other I guess. Just thought it was an interesting discussion.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know how strictly you have security tools defined but I guess there's other ways to achieve monitoring and "security tooling" than with processes on each container. Things like Twistlock and Aqua don't run in each individual container IIRC and still do some overall monitoring. I also don't have a super strong opinion but it seems like running 200 instances of all your security tools in a K8s cluster would be a recipe for A Bad Time™

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I also don't have a super strong opinion but it seems like running 200 instances of all your security tools in a K8s cluster would be a recipe for A Bad Time™

Oh man if you only knew....

Im relatively new, not trying to stir the pot to much at my current job. But the software listed as required for our containers and clusters is pants on head crazy in my eyes. Its such a huge amount of effort to keep things working, and no amount of explaining elasticity to the people in charge seems to work. And its all to appease auditors.

I guess I am in finance and there are a ton of industry regulations but it just seems unnecessary to me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'd imagine that would increase the time to spin up new containers as well, which can be an issue in some applications. That said, the point of containers isn't necessarily to run light, but to run with all dependencies in one place. By bundling multiple security tools, you're effectively making those tools hard dependencies for whatever the container is supposed to be doing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A lot of container monitoring is just about capturing the logging you should already be capturing. Honestly just follow docker/k8s best practices and it's fine

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Martytoof posted:

I don't know how strictly you have security tools defined but I guess there's other ways to achieve monitoring and "security tooling" than with processes on each container. Things like Twistlock and Aqua don't run in each individual container IIRC and still do some overall monitoring. I also don't have a super strong opinion but it seems like running 200 instances of all your security tools in a K8s cluster would be a recipe for A Bad Time™

Yea I'd be curious what security tooling they are running inside all the containers. All the K8S tools I can think of run as daemonset like you mentioned.
For us with Twistlock, it's only for 'serverless' platforms like ECS/Lambda where you have to jump through those hoops just to get something with a fraction of the capability.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 10, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of container monitoring is just about capturing the logging you should already be capturing. Honestly just follow docker/k8s best practices and it's fine

I can easily see where that might break down in the face of an auditor who is adhering to strict letters of the law though. "So you've got 200 instances of debian with no antimalware tools?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Martytoof posted:

I can easily see where that might break down in the face of an auditor who is adhering to strict letters of the law though. "So you've got 200 instances of debian with no antimalware tools?"

I refuse to treat containers like pets.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

I refuse to treat containers like pets.

Its possible that the cost of not doing so is more in fines than you are saving by ignoring the regulations.

I find it unlikely in the US, but not impossible, and isn't finance the sector most likely to have it?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Martytoof posted:

""Nope, we have one instance of Debian with 200 sandboxes inside. The antimalware runs at the host level, so they're all covered. Moving along."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

wolrah posted:

""Nope, we have one instance of Debian with 200 sandboxes inside. The antimalware runs at the host level, so they're all covered. Moving along."

Exactly. Also aren't you going to ask me what security tools I install inside my JVM?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It bothers me enough to have AV running in VDI. Hosted-based is so much more efficient.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

wolrah posted:

Thats a sane logical stance that apparently has no impact on the powers that be at my company.

I dont understand our requirements for auditors. I wont pretend to understand what legal requirements we face. There are a lot of people that get paid a ton of money to know all of that and to accept and manage risks for the company.

I'm just a lowly infosec engineer new to a full time security position and new to this job. But to me requiring something like Symantec Endpoint to run on all containers to get detailed process monitoring seems..... insane?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be clear, I'm 100% not advocating for running 200 instances of anything in containers, just saying that it turns into a big dickwaving contest on who can prove their point better to a C-level who may or may not understand the technology involved. This isn't a value judgment, just something I can easily see happening.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm just a lowly infosec engineer new to a full time security position and new to this job. But to me requiring something like Symantec Endpoint to run on all containers to get detailed process monitoring seems..... insane?
That's because it is insane.

Not a lawyer and definitely not your lawyer but as someone who fights idiot PCI auditors all the time I've never seen a single case where the stupid poo poo they were asking for was actually required when we asked them to cite their sources. I would assume the same is true in a lot of industries, idiots have a checklist and they don't know how to handle anything that varies from the checklist.

Martytoof posted:

To be clear, I'm 100% not advocating for running 200 instances of anything in containers, just saying that it turns into a big dickwaving contest on who can prove their point better to a C-level who may or may not understand the technology involved. This isn't a value judgment, just something I can easily see happening.
For me it's a matter of principle, I'd rather put the effort in to demonstrating the idiocy once and the not have to deal with it ever again, but I've always been very willing to burn bridges which doesn't work for everyone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah for sure, I’m thankfully not in a position to have to spend hours or days arguing with auditors about why something does or doesn’t meet criteria but I just remember it to be the most frustrating thing in the universe.

Especially when you turn around and give them some bullshit screenshot that proves nothing and they use it to tick like five compliance checkboxes for logging and monitoring.

In short: External auditors pee pee doo doo

I’ve moved to application and system architecture with a focus on security so I get to bake all my stuff in from the get-go now and mercifully few arguments about why.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I work in government but I like auditors because we tell them what we know isn't compliant, but there's no funding for fixing. They ding us, and surprise, there's suddenly resources to fix things.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Medical field must be different because lol if you think explaining anything to auditor is going to impact the poo poo your gonna eat for not following the letter of the law.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mr. Crow posted:

Medical field must be different because lol if you think explaining anything to auditor is going to impact the poo poo your gonna eat for not following the letter of the law.
My point is that in my experience the auditors are not following the letter of the law, they're following the letter of their idiot checklist and then when asked to cite the actual rule they tend to back down.

Yes, if the actual rule says you must do the stupid poo poo then I guess you're stuck, but in my book this is an "assume the auditors are idiots until proven otherwise" situation,

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I know we're rolling out Crowdstrike to all our containers, so yeah. Ironically, we had a finding for "No Anti-Malware on your Mainframe"

Uhhhhh.....they don't have them?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

My personal pet peeve was how Sarbanes-Oxley's separation of duties somehow became "the person who wrote the code can't deploy it to production." That is not what separation of duties meant. :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I know we're rolling out Crowdstrike to all our containers, so yeah. Ironically, we had a finding for "No Anti-Malware on your Mainframe"

Uhhhhh.....they don't have them?

submit iplinfo output and highlight the RELEASE part ta-dah :D

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

My personal pet peeve was how Sarbanes-Oxley's separation of duties somehow became "the person who wrote the code can't deploy it to production." That is not what separation of duties meant. :argh:

that's still a good practice in general

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

That's part of it? The point is that one person shouldn't be allowed to write code [containing Russian backdoors] and put it into production [where the backdoors will be used] without at least having some other guy saying "yeah, that's the code we want alright". It's not about you not being allowed to deploy your own code as such, it's about you not getting to both code and approve it for production.
Compare to financial separation of duty: you're allowed to request a new desk, and you're allowed to go to the store to get it, but someone has to actually say it's okay and allow you to use the company credit card.
And of course always do risk based. If it's internet having bank infrastructure code, maybe get two or more competent people to look over the code, and if it's a dumb intranet reminder thing for who brings cake on Thursday maybe skip the separation of duties entirely.

Anyway, auditor talk: in Denmark, we have a very real problem where anyone remotely qualified as an it auditor gets sucked into private consulting/auditing houses (way better pay and career options), leaving government auditors only the terminally incompetent, people with no experience or training and like two guys who are genuinely passionate about oversight of banks. This means that government auditing is not very good, in either the overly focused on details way or just being way too easy to talk yourself out of.

Private auditing, which also happens, has an institutional problem of the auditor being paid by the audited, so everything is negotiable in reality, and the auditors know not to rock the boat too much.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, it's generally good practice to have at least one other person look over your code before you push it through, right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, it's generally good practice to have at least one other person look over your code before you push it through, right?

For more than one reason, yes. But there's both the "I want to make sure I didn't gently caress up anything" aspect and the more security related aspect of "we want to make sure the coder didn't put anything bad in there". And if you were maliciously putting in stuff, you'd probably forgo asking someone to look over your code. And for that reason, you need some separation of duties type check if the code (in some cases).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BonHair posted:

For more than one reason, yes. But there's both the "I want to make sure I didn't gently caress up anything" aspect and the more security related aspect of "we want to make sure the coder didn't put anything bad in there". And if you were maliciously putting in stuff, you'd probably forgo asking someone to look over your code. And for that reason, you need some separation of duties type check if the code (in some cases).

Yeah, absolutely, I'm just saying that even if you don't care about security, you might want your devs` code to, you know, work.