Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Swalwell's claim is that it was probably leaked and that at least passes a sniff test considering it happened in 2015 or something then only made news in 2020 when Axios dropped an exclusive with all anonymous sources, so it's possible that's the case. It was definitely "news"?

so swalwell makes an obviously self interested unprovable claim in response to a story about his having done indisputedly dumb poo poo and youll take that at face value but people itt say that kiwis are being racist for calling an ethnic chinese woman a fifth columnist just for being ethnically chinese and you consider that a strike against kiwi honor badly in need of contextualization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

so swalwell makes an obviously self interested unprovable claim in response to a story about his having done indisputedly dumb poo poo and youll take that at face value but people itt say that kiwis are being racist for calling an ethnic chinese woman a fifth columnist just for being ethnically chinese and you consider that a strike against kiwi honor badly in need of contextualization

lol look I know reading isn't your strong suit but you can do better than this

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

People say CSPAM is an echo chamber, but here we have a poster brave enough to dive in head first and defend racial profiling of Chinese people. That has to count for something

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol look I know reading isn't your strong suit but you can do better than this

im simply describing what your opinion sounds like to thread at large to explain why youre being dogpiled friend

if you feel my characterization of your opinion is incorrect youre welcome to explain why that is indeed why i phrased my post as a question

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-was-born-in-australia-why-do-i-need-to-renounce-the-chinese-communist-party-20201014-p5655j.html

actually it's good to suspect people of different ethnicities of being foreign agents. we never question the insane level of influence the US and UK have in other countries' institutions but those perfidious celestials... you never know when they'll report to the mothership!!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Swalwell Incident is the name of my new techno-thriller airport novel

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean it's generally also just easier to bribe a white guy instead of only picking people on the same race. I imagine the latter is also done but I wouldn't bother doing it for like, high profile stuff.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder if what Xi did to tencent and the private tutoring industry would have triggered capital flight 15 years ago

It seems like a lot of american investors are pissed but with how much weaker america is now and how much of a smaller portion of investment is actually from out of country there’s not much they can do about it

I guess that’s the stated point of dengism, waiting until your economy is strong enough that the west can’t push you around to start renationalizing things

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wonder if what Xi did to tencent and the private tutoring industry would have triggered capital flight 15 years ago

It seems like a lot of american investors are pissed but with how much weaker america is now and how much of a smaller portion of investment is actually from out of country there’s not much they can do about it

I guess that’s the stated point of dengism, waiting until your economy is strong enough that the west can’t push you around to start renationalizing things

I'm not sure China is opposed to a bit of foreign capital fleeing. They still want to defend an upper bound on their currency and foreign investment and trade surpluses both put upward pressure there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

im simply describing what your opinion sounds like to thread at large to explain why youre being dogpiled friend

if you feel my characterization of your opinion is incorrect youre welcome to explain why that is indeed why i phrased my post as a question

I pretty clearly didn't take it at face value and couched it with "maybe" "claimed" etc. Given circumstances (timing et al) it wouldn't be that outlandish if it were an intentional leak but we don't and can't know. Also doesn't make his actions less boneheaded and I'm not sure why you're focusing in on that specific aspect of it; the reason I didn't add more specific context or clarity to that is because whether the source is a leak or not isn't that material.

I don't give a poo poo about kiwi honor but you're right that I think there's more context to things there than just people saw an Asian face and decided it was the enemy. The amount of Chinese money moving around NZ, two NZ MPs having stepped down/not run for election recently reportedly due to intelligence concerns about them (how true that is we'll probably never know and yeah it could potentially have just been the political parties looking to appease their racist/xenophobic elements for the sake of not losing power), her having been involved in leadership in Chinese student associations, which frequently get accused of being intelligence auxiliaries (Stringent et al feel free to look into the many articles on the details of that, though naturally it's inherently going to be from Western media outlets you don't trust or like) are all material factors. Racism is also always a potential factor, but we can't pretend that there's literally nothing else there and that everything is nice a clear and black and white.

tbh I didn't even consider this a dogpile

Grapplejack posted:

I mean it's generally also just easier to bribe a white guy instead of only picking people on the same race. I imagine the latter is also done but I wouldn't bother doing it for like, high profile stuff.

Probably more effective too for the serious stuff. Like for example most of the cases in the US with ethnic Chinese convicted of "espionage" are pretty vanilla things like selling restricted stuff to China or not disclosing employment/ties.

crepeface posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-was-born-in-australia-why-do-i-need-to-renounce-the-chinese-communist-party-20201014-p5655j.html

actually it's good to suspect people of different ethnicities of being foreign agents. we never question the insane level of influence the US and UK have in other countries' institutions but those perfidious celestials... you never know when they'll report to the mothership!!!!

This is a good illustrative example of when it *is* just dumb racism. Dude has apparently no history of connections with organizations with potential Chinese intelligence ties (also doesn't speak Mandarin fluently, mom grew up in Taiwan and dad in HK, though it wouldn't be right even if these were not the case), being ambushed and demanded to publicly denounce the CPC by some jackass. This is materially different from the Brady accusations in both content and execution, even if you think the Brady accusation is also illegitimate/specious/purely political.

LimburgLimbo has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Sep 7, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

I pretty clearly didn't take it at face value and couched it with "maybe" "claimed" etc. Given circumstances (timing et al) it wouldn't be that outlandish if it were an intentional leak but we don't and can't know. Also doesn't make his actions less boneheaded and I'm not sure why you're focusing in on that specific aspect of it; the reason I didn't add more specific context or clarity to that is because whether the source is a leak or not isn't that material.

I don't give a poo poo about kiwi honor but you're right that I think there's more context to things there than just people saw an Asian face and decided it was the enemy. The amount of Chinese money moving around NZ, two NZ MPs having stepped down/not run for election recently reportedly due to intelligence concerns about them (how true that is we'll probably never know and yeah it could potentially have just been the political parties looking to appease their racist/xenophobic elements for the sake of not losing power), her having been involved in leadership in Chinese student associations, which frequently get accused of being intelligence auxiliaries (Stringent et al feel free to look into the many articles on the details of that, though naturally it's inherently going to be from Western media outlets you don't trust or like) are all material factors. Racism is also always a potential factor, but we can't pretend that there's literally nothing else there and that everything is nice a clear and black and white.

tbh I didn't even consider this a dogpile

Probably more effective too for the serious stuff. Like for example most of the cases in the US with ethnic Chinese convicted of "espionage" are pretty vanilla things like selling restricted stuff to China or not disclosing employment/ties.

This is a good illustrative example of when it *is* just dumb racism. Dude has apparently no history of connections with organizations with potential Chinese intelligence ties (also doesn't speak Mandarin fluently, mom grew up in Taiwan and dad in HK, though it wouldn't be right even if these were not the case), being ambushed and demanded to publicly denounce the CPC by some jackass. This is materially different from the Brady accusations in both content and execution, even if you think the Brady accusation is also illegitimate/specious/purely political.

Could you make your point in just two or three sentences because from the outside I have no loving clue what you're talking about.

Like, do you believe there is Chinese influence in domestic policy? Is this somehow different than the ways other countries use espionage or bribery in their foreign influence?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also doesn't make his actions less boneheaded and I'm not sure why you're focusing in on that specific aspect of it; the reason I didn't add more specific context or clarity to that is because whether the source is a leak or not isn't that material.

the entire subject is immaterial i made a one off shitpost suggesting that xenophobes dont actually care about spies and you felt the need to correct it implying that you disagreed with my premise

your tone is weirdly dismissive and aggressive despite the fact that you dont actually seem to disagree with us about that much you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by just talking about kiwi chinese spy stuff as a general interest subject rather than framing your posts as refutations

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LimburgLimbo posted:

Kinda burying the lede here that another ethnically Chinese MP literally admitted to being a former spook/working for Chinese intelligence

is this doing a racism???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Some Guy TT posted:

the entire subject is immaterial i made a one off shitpost suggesting that xenophobes dont actually care about spies and you felt the need to correct it implying that you disagreed with my premise

your tone is weirdly dismissive and aggressive despite the fact that you dont actually seem to disagree with us about that much you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by just talking about kiwi chinese spy stuff as a general interest subject rather than framing your posts as refutations

some people just have terminal pedant brain

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I love how these omnipresent Chinese intelligence services are apparently only able to recruit ethnically Chinese people who have public ties to Chinese linked organizations. No one could possibly suspect them right? Just like how Mike Flynn was a literal agent of Recep Tayyip Erdogan because he's a Turk. All white anglo saxons are above suspicion because no white would ever betray his race for money. Republican congressmen who would literally suck yo dick for like a $20k donation to their campaigns are just like....eh

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I love how these omnipresent Chinese intelligence services are apparently only able to recruit ethnically Chinese people who have public ties to Chinese linked organizations. No one could possibly suspect them right? Just like how Mike Flynn was a literal agent of Recep Tayyip Erdogan because he's a Turk. All white anglo saxons are above suspicion because no white would ever betray his race for money. Republican congressmen who would literally suck yo dick for like a $20k donation to their campaigns are just like....eh

20k is a little high for both parties let's be real here

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Throatwarbler posted:

Just like how Mike Flynn was a literal agent of Recep Tayyip Erdogan because he's a Turk.
:thunk: I know about Boris Johnson but idk if Flynn is Turkish

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Throatwarbler posted:

I'd betray the white race just for the love of the game op

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Walking into the Chinese Embassy in DC with a floppy disk containing the original Four Loko recipe is praxis.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
quick question: anybody who says "CCP" is probably a propagandist right? or is it really as much of a racist distinction from CPC as it seems to be

the perfidious CHINEESE communist party
vs. The Noble Communist Party of China (country)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

however the other China thread refers to them is how we should not refer to them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

paul_soccer12 posted:

quick question: anybody who says "CCP" is probably a propagandist right? or is it really as much of a racist distinction from CPC as it seems to be

Yes.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

paul_soccer12 posted:

it doesnt matter and no normal person is going to care if you say ccp or cpc

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Some Guy TT posted:

hey remember when one of the top russiagaters in the american congress was discovered to have been loving a chinese spy and apparently absolutely no one cared i wonder if his being white might have had anything to do with that

Those reports were based entirely on evidence provided by the FBI from a case that had gone cold years ago. I don't care about the Farting Congressman but it was a very obvious hit job with no original reporting outside of a few uncritical quotes.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Muscle Wizard posted:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

brutalist mcdonalds posted that video celebrating the 100 anniversary that starts with guy writing CCP on a chalkboard

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

brutalist mcdonalds posted that video celebrating the 100 anniversary that starts with guy writing CCP on a chalkboard

because it *was* used in the early days of the party's founding in the 1920s. The guy in the video was re-enacting a scene in the 1920s. If the thing you are reading is a historical novel set in 1920s Shanghai then maybe it's not dumb. In any other context it absolutely is.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

because it *was* used in the early days of the party's founding in the 1920s. The guy in the video was re-enacting a scene in the 1920s. If the thing you are reading is a historical novel set in 1920s Shanghai then maybe it's not dumb. In any other context it absolutely is.
drat. that's some attention to detail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Muscle Wizard posted:

democrat party

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1CCW9w-WiM

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Anyone not using 中央 is a racist

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kill All Cops posted:

Anyone not using 中央 is a racist

is 中央情报局 racist

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Muscle Wizard posted:

this is true but its a fact that if you see someone using CCP, they are almost certainly about their show their rear end with an amazingly stupid take. idk enough about chinese grammar to know why that is, but its true

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

this is true but its a fact that if you see someone using CCP, they are almost certainly about their show their rear end with an amazingly stupid take. idk enough about chinese grammar to know why that is, but its true

only someone who's done a bit of research would actually know to use CPC and everyone else is dumb about china

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

American bonds are going to become worthless AGV

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

We have being wrong since 1949 but this time, because

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

democrat party

it rly is the same poo poo lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume it's prompted by stuff like https://www.reuters.com/business/china-evergrande-bonds-suspended-prices-slump-2021-09-06/

Which seems to excite number nerds somewhat, so obviously the anti China ones would just use it to feed their fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer12 posted:

it's not the use of "CCP" or "CPC" per se that's the giveaway, it's that someone tries to say that at all instead of just "China" or "the PRC"