Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is this another Simpson's Poe Law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Barney thing would be entirely passable as a joke if they just never drew attention to the gag and had Barney talk about being a drunk who doesn't understand why he does anything.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, the Moe throwing Barney out meme is probably the best example of a Simpsons bit from the bad years going viral. Internet tells me it’s from a S17 episode.

Although, interestingly enough, it’s the kind of visual gag that’s funny without any knowledge of the episode or the circumstances. So while it’s a funny meme, it’s not funny because it’s a shared thing that everyone knows/remembers, it’s just funny on its own.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lowest point of the simpsons was when Bart dated Adult Girl Milhouse in an attempt to make the viewer feel bad

:agreed:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pardon?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, the Moe throwing Barney out meme is probably the best example of a Simpsons bit from the bad years going viral. Internet tells me it’s from a S17 episode.

Although, interestingly enough, it’s the kind of visual gag that’s funny without any knowledge of the episode or the circumstances. So while it’s a funny meme, it’s not funny because it’s a shared thing that everyone knows/remembers, it’s just funny on its own.

we are as far from that season as this season was from the series premier

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lowest point of the simpsons was when milhouse dated ralph in an attempt to make lisa feel bad

I like how there is no such thing as an excessively deep cut from season 4 for the meme thread, but when someone posts an episode recap from season 29 it's met with confusion about if it's real or not. I mean, c'mon:

quote:

While unsuccessfully trying to make Lisa happy, Homer goes on an "eating binge" throughout the city's numerous restaurants, eventually barfing at New Orleans' "vomitoriums". While visiting the city's landmarks, he and Lisa find a statue of Louis Armstrong that comes to life upon Lisa's wish.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I like how there is no such thing as an excessively deep cut from season 4 for the meme thread, but when someone posts an episode recap from season 29 it's met with confusion about if it's real or not. I mean, c'mon:

It's incredibly real and halfway through the episode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Gets_the_Blues

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

overmind2000 posted:

It's incredibly real and halfway through the episode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Gets_the_Blues

There's a lot of criticisms to be made of South Park, but the "But... Therefore" formula is a very good baseline. Once you start connecting your story beats with "and then," you end up with a pile of random poo poo that happens.

"But... Therefore" completely ends in this episode once the Rube Goldberg machine gets them to New Orleans.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

There's an episode where Bart meets Milhouse's cousin who is from Finland or something. She's just adult girl Milhouse. I think Bart falls for her because she smokes. Or she teaches him to smoke and he gets in trouble. I only saw parts of it. I assume the B-plot was Homer having a real time with his day.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What the flying gently caress has this show become? I'm still not sure if my curiosity is still morbid or if it's just dead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

YeahTubaMike posted:

What the flying gently caress has this show become? I'm still not sure if my curiosity is still morbid or if it's just dead.

Just been on too long with writers with too little creativity

Richy richs with harvard comedian kids send their kid to make a name for themselves with a credit on the simpsons. Doesn't matter if they're actually good scripts or jokes

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, many of the classic episodes' synopsis would sound dumb or crazy out of context too. It's just that they were competently made and actually funny instead of churned out by computer algorithms and unfunny newbies who just want a Hollywood writing credit.

edit: ^ beaten, sorta

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any show that runs for 30+ years is going to run out of ideas and crawl up it's own rear end sooner or later as OG writers drop out and new writers, who are probably fans of the show, take their place.

It's just that Simpsons used to be the one of the best shows on television so that drop in quality is more noticeable then if it would've happened to say Cheers or Perfect Strangers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do wonder what Japanese audiences think of modern day Crayon Shin Chan compared to the early seasons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Das Boo posted:

Is this another Simpson's Poe Law?

check my post history in this thread lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

runnypoops posted:

THe truth is that those kids molested micheal jackson

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do wonder what Japanese audiences think of modern day Crayon Shin Chan compared to the early seasons.

poo poo, is that still on?

I don't know how comparable it is, but I remember being really put off by the changes that happened to Doraemon, where the animation was way too smooth, and the voice cast had changed wholesale due to the original actors all retiring together as a group after about two or three decades in the roles.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Michael Jackson accusations are odd. On paper he seems like a textbook pedophile. Yet despite law enforcement moving heaven and hell they can't get a shred of evidence on him.

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ve seen this in meme form, so I had to look it up and yes, sometimes zombie Simpsons has a decent joke or visual gag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6l4b1_Px5c

This is actually legitimately funny and made me laugh out loud. Never thought I'd see a "new quality Simpsons" gag.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just checked Wikipedia to double check, Shin Chan is still on. I loved the Adult Swim run but I guess we didn't get much of it since it's kinda difficult to localize.

Simpsons isn't even the longest running animated series. Sazae-San's been running since 1969.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve long held a theory that If you go through all the seasons from S15 onward, and just pull out the good episodes, you could get one, maybe two quality seasons of the Simpsons. Not like golden years quality, but like S11-14 level quality.

I actually tried doing this at the height of the pandemic when I couldn’t leave my house, but there’s SO MANY episodes and most of them are SO BAD. After 2 or 3 episodes, I either get discouraged and just stop, or I start to feel bad for the show and start saying stuff like “well that one wasn’t THAT BAD” and grading on a curve, which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That's about right, there are usually one or two per season that, while not particularly good, could at least justify the show still being on if they were all that quality. But the average episode is truly horrendous.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just checked Wikipedia to double check, Shin Chan is still on. I loved the Adult Swim run but I guess we didn't get much of it since it's kinda difficult to localize.

Simpsons isn't even the longest running animated series. Sazae-San's been running since 1969.

I still think about the joke from the Shin-Chan dub where his mom buys dozens of cartons of milk and Shin excitedly proclaims, "Cool! I'm gonna make all the missing kids fight each other!"

I love it. It's so drat crass.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Any show that runs for 30+ years is going to run out of ideas and crawl up it's own rear end sooner or later as OG writers drop out and new writers, who are probably fans of the show, take their place.

It's just that Simpsons used to be the one of the best shows on television so that drop in quality is more noticeable then if it would've happened to say Cheers or Perfect Strangers.

Hold up a second here! I'm not going to let this go unnoticed.

You just put Cheers in the same group as Perfect Strangers.

Have you've seen Cheers?

It is one of the best shows on television. I've been watching through it again, and it still holds up, and each episode has a least one good quality laugh. It's an intelligently written show with fantastic characters, and it's not afraid to have genuine moments that aren't funny, but can be quite sad.

Sure, there was a bit of a decrease in quality as time went on, but even in its last season, it was still producing high quality work.

Give Cheers a chance. If you watch it from the beginning, you'll see a fantastic 3-camera sitcom that really highlights the strength of the format.

Edit - and just so you are aware, Sam Simon worked on both Cheers and the Simpsons. In fact, Ken Levine, who wrote for Cheers and also wrote Dancing Homer and Saturdays of Thunder with his writing partner, said that Sam was responsible for a lot of the tone and sense of humor on the Simpsons.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 8, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

Michael Jackson accusations are odd. On paper he seems like a textbook pedophile. Yet despite law enforcement moving heaven and hell they can't get a shred of evidence on him.

A rich and famous person using their money and fame to commit sex crimes without being arrested? That never happens

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hold up a second here! I'm not going to let this go unnoticed.

You just put Cheers in the same group as Perfect Strangers.

Have you've seen Cheers?

It is one of the best shows on television. I've been watching through it again, and it still holds up, and each episode has a least one good quality laugh. It's an intelligently written show with fantastic characters, and it's not afraid to have genuine moments that aren't funny, but can be quite sad.

Sure, there was a bit of a decrease in quality as time went on, but even in its last season, it was still producing high quality work.

Give Cheers a chance. If you watch it from the beginning, you'll see a fantastic 3-camera sitcom that really highlights the strength of the format.

Edit - and just so you are aware, Sam Simon worked on both Cheers and the Simpsons. In fact, Ken Levine, who wrote for Cheers and also wrote Dancing Homer and Saturdays of Thunder with his writing partner, said that Sam was responsible for a lot of the tone and sense of humor on the Simpsons.

Yes, that’s all fine and good, but Perfect Strangers had the dance of joy and Balki calling his cousin “Larry App-leh-tone.”

Heh. Got ‘em :smuggo:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Don’t give the writers any ideas to prolong this dumb dead show :shepicide:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Sazae-san was the one where the creator didn't want any merch including DVDs so you can't see old episodes right?

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 8, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Sazae-san is also the last show to use cel animation, only making the move in 2014 to digital ink and paint.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sazae-san was the one where the creator didn't want any merch including DVDs so you can't see old episodes right?

They're on some Japanese streaming services.

Chibi Maruko-Chan is also a show that's been running forever and I've heard some people compare it as the Japanese version of the Simpsons, at least the earlier seasons. Just a show about family life with a lot of sarcasm and pointing out the absurdity of the life we live in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Anpanman is up there with the super-long-runners, iirc, though I don't know how much of that is a single continuous show. It's basically as well known in Japan as something like Sesame Street. If that title sounds vaguely familiar, the protagonist of One-Punch Man is a parody of the protagonist.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Original_Z posted:

They're on some Japanese streaming services.

Yeah it looks like it started streaming recently after the creator died according to wikipedia, lol

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
I was driving to work today and heard a radio ad for car insurance that was using the old announcer gag like "get it on sunday Sunday SUNDAY!" This led me down the rabbit hole trying to find the quote where Smithers works as the announcer at the race track. Was disappointed that almost any search for Smithers regardless of context turns up hits for when he comes out as gay.

No google I am not looking for smithers coming out I am looking for MAYHEM MAYHEM MAYHEM. Do we need all these mayhems? We do. Alright fair enough.

Eventually zeroed in on the Homer the Smithers episode and felt much better. You have 30 minutes to move your cube.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Homers BBBq posted:

I was driving to work today and heard a radio ad for car insurance that was using the old announcer gag like "get it on sunday Sunday SUNDAY!" This led me down the rabbit hole trying to find the quote where Smithers works as the announcer at the race track. Was disappointed that almost any search for Smithers regardless of context turns up hits for when he comes out as gay.

No google I am not looking for smithers coming out I am looking for MAYHEM MAYHEM MAYHEM. Do we need all these mayhems? We do. Alright fair enough.

Eventually zeroed in on the Homer the Smithers episode and felt much better. You have 30 minutes to move your cube.

If you know an exact (or close enough) quote then Frinkiac is by far the best tool for looking up episodes imo.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's a King of the Hill gag, but I always loved

"SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! And also Saturday."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
"Where are you throwing me?!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Homers BBBq posted:

That ep is pure golden age, crisp with no filler. The goons manhandling Smithers away from the race track mic is my favorite moment especially the quick escalation to "Where are you throwing me?!"

Had a mandela moment, could have sworn the Billy Beer "we elected the wrong Carter" Homer line was from The Otto Show after Homer finds the beer in his jacket. Turns out it wasn't until season 9 in Lisa the Skeptic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "is it about my cube?" exchange is one of the greatest bits in Simpsons

Burns is just so earnestly curious

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I remember the old simpsons threads where people would argue and argue that new Simpsons isn't bad, we're just looking at it with rose tinted glasses. I'm glad that it being on Disney+ has shown how loving clearly bad the new poo poo is.

Re-watching I think the episode where I went "Man this show isn't as good" was Old Man And The Lisa. It's got jokes, it's just got a loving weird resolution and is generally quite a strange story. But the one I stopped watching was Saddlesore Galactica. I think I'd told myself that it was maybe season 16 or something, so it surprises me it's only 11/12 sorta area.
When you rewatch the drop off is so unbelievably loving sudden and obvious!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Taear posted:

Re-watching I think the episode where I went "Man this show isn't as good" was Old Man And The Lisa. It's got jokes, it's just got a loving weird resolution and is generally quite a strange story.

Yeardley Smith gives a really bad performance in that episode too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Harry Shearer carries that episode. When he still gave a poo poo.