Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krime posted:

Is it Costco that if you use a certain credit card you get more warranty stacked on?
It's the Costco brand credit card, specifically. You get 3 years additional warranty past the initial 1 yr manufacturer warranty and 1 yr costco warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I ended up going with a 65 LG CX, overall it's awesome, but the Switch in game mode looks bizarrely blurry. Like, REALLY blurry, it's extremely noticeable and distracting and just looks horrible.

Tried googling around, seems like people are saying either it's that oh, you're just used to sharpness filters, or that 1080p input just looks that terrible on high quality OLED's. The former is definitely wrong, I've seen plenty of 4k TV's where 1080p input like the Switch looks fine. The latter, it looks fine on other picture modes, I'm just not sure what exact setting is "don't bother with a decent upscale".

edit: okay, looks like it was just the sharpness being set to 0. I left it there because RTings had it in their recommendations, but I guess I'm just real dumb. Not sure why you'd want low sharpness for game mode though as a default.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 28, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Cicero posted:

edit: okay, looks like it was just the sharpness being set to 0. I left it there because RTings had it in their recommendations, but I guess I'm just real dumb. Not sure why you'd want low sharpness for game mode though as a default.
I had this exact same thing happen when I got my 4K tv. RTings is a great resource for a lot of stuff, but some of their recommended settings seem based on incorrect assumptions.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Calibration guides are stupid anyway. When you get your new TV spend a few minutes fiddling with the settings until you get a picture that looks really good to you, and then never touch that menu ever again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some of it is useful because folks might not know what Black Frame Insertion or Cinemavision do.

But the picture settings are more of a starting point than law.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There can be dozens and dozens of settings and my eye balls arent the greatest. I appreciate some guide to tell me the easy poo poo to turn on and off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

American McGay posted:

Calibration guides are stupid anyway. When you get your new TV spend a few minutes fiddling with the settings until you get a picture that looks really good to you, and then never touch that menu ever again.

The worst part is if you are diverse in your use cases. Worse again when you run through an AVR so it has one set of settings for everything basically instead of switching by input. We do gaming, sports, movies & TV, live action & animated. Theres no one good setting for all that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Cicero posted:

I ended up going with a 65 LG CX, overall it's awesome, but the Switch in game mode looks bizarrely blurry. Like, REALLY blurry, it's extremely noticeable and distracting and just looks horrible.

Tried googling around, seems like people are saying either it's that oh, you're just used to sharpness filters, or that 1080p input just looks that terrible on high quality OLED's. The former is definitely wrong, I've seen plenty of 4k TV's where 1080p input like the Switch looks fine. The latter, it looks fine on other picture modes, I'm just not sure what exact setting is "don't bother with a decent upscale".

Sharpness 0 isn't wrong for all content, it depends on the use case. This post has far more detailed settings information than rtings:

https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

codo27 posted:

The worst part is if you are diverse in your use cases. Worse again when you run through an AVR so it has one set of settings for everything basically instead of switching by input. We do gaming, sports, movies & TV, live action & animated. Theres no one good setting for all that.
Yeah that's why I prefer to use my TV inputs instead of using the AVR like a switcher. Which is fine for my use case, but once you have more than 3 unique inputs it starts to become a hassle.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

I'm lazy so I simply calibrated to a test pattern and use it for everything.

Would a warmer setting be good for movies?
Yeah, probably, but I'll put my trust in the film editor doing most of that work for me. I'm not the expert. :effort:

I wish black frame insertion didn't murder my brightness; haven't really used it much, and I swear I can notice the flickering sometimes. :tinfoil:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
What's the recommended HDMI 2.1 cable these days that will support 120hz on the LG OLED G1 for gaming? My computer will be about 6 feet away so I may get up to a 10 foot cable. Also fine if I need to get some kind of signal booster.

The Best Buy rep tacked on a $300 HDMI high-speed cable on my quote lol. I'll be sure to tell him "Thanks, but no, thanks".

I found good reviews for this Zeskit certified cable on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Zeskit-48Gbps-Certified-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B07S196T4Z?th=1

Or do I need this Active HDMI cable? I can't tell if the Zeskit version is Active or not:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Certified-Fiber-Active/dp/B08ZH5714P

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 29, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Zeskit is recommended by hdtvtest iirc.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Alternate option, monoprice:

Braided - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42682

Non-braided - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42674

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You're certain your card also supports 2.1 right?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

codo27 posted:

You're certain your card also supports 2.1 right?
Yes, it's an Asus STRIX RTX 3090 bought this year. Apologies, as I should have mentioned what graphics card I have.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Any cable with certification (and most without) should be fine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG OLED65A1PUA $1,597 Shipped + $50 Visa gift card

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.wired.com/story/tcl-6-series-giveaway-2021/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have an LG OLED83C1PUA arriving saturday morning and I am hyped.

Replacing a 14 year old Samsung 65" DLP.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sofabaton is Kickstarting an updated remote a hub and activities. The downside is the actual remote has way too few buttons.

I'm going to wait until it comes out and see if it actually works or they do a second model with more buttons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonna call bullshit on a November 2021 delivery unless they already have all the backer units built and sitting in a warehouse somewhere. They are going to get hit with component shortages like everyone else.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

If that can replace my harmony whatever thing with a screen and hub, I’m on board for almost any price.

I’m slightly sad about Logitech discontinuing it, but their support of it over the years has been so loving awful I’m hoping their OFFICIAL discontinuation will prompt more stuff like this.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I backed it because my Harmony will likely die at the worst time. Amount of buttons is fine for me. I just wish someone would build a universal remote with a microphone so I can use voice for searches.

Any news of decent HDMI 2.1 receivers yet? Like models with more than one working HDMI 2.1 port at full speed? After the poo poo show in 2020 I decided to wait things out a year and see where its at now. Or just hosed by the component shortage like everything else? Ideally I'd like a Denon and to not pay $3000 for it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The new Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra receivers seem to work, they just started shipping so there aren’t in depth tests yet. The lowest model 5100 only has 24gbps ports but the upper tier ones have 3 40gbps ports.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looking over that kickstarter again, it looks like they only have about 3000 rewards. So I guess they may actually end up shipping to all the backers since they may have parts on hand for that many units.

Just going by the delays and issues AAWireless has gone through, this isn't a great climate for crowd funded electronics. Suppliers will just up and lie to you about component shipments. You may have to retool to a completely different hardware base as a moment's notice because they original hardware will just dry up completely.

My April purchased, June delivery, AAWireless dongle is just going into production this weekend and that's only because they managed to source a bunch more wifi chips that they weren't expecting to find.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm glad they're making the X1 but... $200 MSRP? $100 Kickstarter Price?

I'll just grab it next year for $70 on Amazon.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

The Gunslinger posted:

I backed it because my Harmony will likely die at the worst time. Amount of buttons is fine for me. I just wish someone would build a universal remote with a microphone so I can use voice for searches.

Any news of decent HDMI 2.1 receivers yet? Like models with more than one working HDMI 2.1 port at full speed? After the poo poo show in 2020 I decided to wait things out a year and see where its at now. Or just hosed by the component shortage like everything else? Ideally I'd like a Denon and to not pay $3000 for it.

HDTVTest on YT has two videos about the new RZ50. Looks promising.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung 70" QLED $1,149 Shipped - from Amazon, price matched at Best Buy.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm going to be getting a TV on black friday this year (after multiple years of planning to do it I've finally got the cash saved). My budget stretches to either the 65'' C1 or the 55'' G1. I was just wondering whether people throught that the brighter panel in the G1 would be worth sacrificing the size over?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This really is a very personal decision. You can't really compare brightness in a showroom setting but you can compare sizes, I suggest you do that to gauge how much value youd place on the difference. I would probably go for the larger model since the brightness increase from the C1 to the G1 isn't that high but then again, OLEDs can use all the help they can get in that department.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I ended up getting a C1 over a G1 and I am glad I did. I can't imagine needing something brighter. The thing gets pretty loving bright. If I were you, I would go with the larger TV.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I also vote for bigger one. I have a B9 in a darkish room and it's plenty bright FWIW.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

serebralassazin posted:

I also vote for bigger one. I have a B9 in a darkish room and it's plenty bright FWIW.
My b9 is great when it's night or the curtains are closed. We have a white fence next to the window by the TV and that absolutely drowns out the OLED during the day.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm going to go for the bigger one. I just discovered via rtings that in game mode they're equally bright because the G1 limits itself, it only differs for other content. Considering that the majority of what it'll be used for is games, that makes the choice easy.

Thanks all!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

FilthyImp posted:

My b9 is great when it's night or the curtains are closed. We have a white fence next to the window by the TV and that absolutely drowns out the OLED during the day.

Yea, I had a Samsung KS8000 before and that thing was super bright in my room. If I had a lot of light I'd get dark curtains or an LED. Probably just the curtains because after owning an OLED I can't see myself going back to LED anytime soon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Apologies if this gets brought up a ton, went back a few pages and didn't see it. Are the game features of the LG C1 worth the premium over the CX? Aside from that it looks pretty similar. Primarily will be used for movies/tv but will get some gaming use with an nvidia rtx pc.

Also, right now I've got a 4k but not hdmi2.1 receiver. Will I need to upgrade to an hdmi2.1 receiver to take advantage of gsync, 120hz etc?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Enos Cabell posted:

Are the game features of the LG C1 worth the premium over the CX? Aside from that it looks pretty similar. Primarily will be used for movies/tv but will get some gaming use with an nvidia rtx pc.

No.

Enos Cabell posted:

Will I need to upgrade to an hdmi2.1 receiver to take advantage of gsync, 120hz etc?

Yes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Excellent, thanks! Think I'll have to finally stop at the entrance to Costco this week and put that bad boy on the cart. Now I just have to decide if I really want to splash out for the 77 vs the 65...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Always get the bigger one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Enos Cabell posted:

Now I just have to decide if I really want to splash out for the 77 vs the 65...

American McGay posted:

Always get the bigger one.