Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This was probably my best synergy yet ... the item negates the one-use tiles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

leper khan posted:

Added poison to some cantrips and it was awesome

In my latest curse run, I had the thief class with cantrips, added poison and +2 to the top and bottom side. So I had a 1/3 chance to get that.

I also had chronos, with an item that gave all sides a bonus equal to how much poison they had. AND a curse that gave the bottom hero +2 poison. So if I got a reroll I'd get 3 rerolls.

In the like 4 or 5 battles since I had that combo set up, I got exactly 1 reroll and 3 cantrip dice landing.

I was gutted. Didn't beat the final boss on that run.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

_jink posted:

goongratulations, that's quite a combo.

surprised people aren't as terrified of the poison curse as i am. feel like i tried it a handful of times & got absolutely washed, maybe there were other factors at play. :ghost:

Lol, I got the 2 poison curse... and then the item that gives +1 to all sides per stack of poison on my mage-type.

loving RIP to everything.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Seems like I checked this thread at the right time. I was looking for something that isn't an idle game to kill some time on my phone and Slice & Dice already has me hooked.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I appreciate the Pratchett nod as well. GNU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Another fun combo for slice and dice. All attacks become ranged and all range attacks gain cleave. I deal a 6 damage cleave on the final fight and used warlock bloodlust mana to nuke the boss. Next turn I did another 6 damage cleave and cleared the fight.

Edit: also the speedrun achievement is a lot easier to get if you make the enemies have faster turns.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Hexia keeps beating the poo poo out of me and I don't like it :[

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

leper khan posted:

Hexia keeps beating the poo poo out of me and I don't like it :[

Poison and magic is the way to deal with Hexia.

Or if you can get the combo of the power that keeps someone from dying this turn plus rescue, and just keep everyone at 1hp and hope you get lucky.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hexia does single target 12 damage with pain status, petrifies a character, or summon two imps. Imps have a base of 4 hp but can poison and summon bones. So you really want to kill all everything besides him ASAP. Once it is just Hexia you either need to save one character a turn or you get a freebie turn where you can just focus fire or focus recovery. Do remember that cleanse heals AND prevent status effects. So if you got a cleanse you can prevent the petrify and get another somewhat free turn.

You really want to be able to kill 2+ imps a turn. You really want some single target burst damage or a lot of damage over turn. Cleanse is a great. Undying is great. Revives are decent. Stun with a good way to increase max hp is amazing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just beat normal for the first time last night and it's great how much things start to steamroll when a few key upgrades fall into place. I was already generating a ton of mana, so when the level 20 class upgrade gave me the warlock with that huge 7 damage spell I kinda knew that was game. Being able to chunk down damage on the boss quickly and directly really helped make that final boss a breeze.

The game really is something, I love the steady rate at which you get upgrades, and most of them are fairly substantial upgrades too so the power ramp up is extremely satisfying.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Did full house achievement last night, with 2 medics and 3 adepts. The goddamn tarantula almost got me on like 18, but i powered through and when the dragon showed up while I had the 6 mana for 13 damage spell, Burst+ (2 mana for 3 shield/damage) and the 1 mana for 2 heal, I knew I had it in the bag.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have yet to see this dragon. How do you unlock it?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Weird, I've fought it several times without doing anything special afaik. Even before I had streaks going on normal difficulty.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm pretty sure it's just a 50/50 shot on the final boss which one you get, so you've just been getting very unlucky.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Arzaac posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a 50/50 shot on the final boss which one you get, so you've just been getting very unlucky.

Gez I have killed hexia 8 times and think I have died to it twice.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I just defeated Hexia on hard (-1 reroll) although tbf I did resurrect 2 heroes with my Keeper.

The round before I managed to deal 33 damage in 1 turn. I was fighting a swarm of Wisps and used Crush (3 damage to top and bottom enemies) and a 2 damage Rampage attack (go again if it kills a monster). Killed 2 wisps per cast and was refunded 2 mana each time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it expected to fail about half the time in Slice & Dice, even in easy or am I just horrendous at this game?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

hooah posted:

Is it expected to fail about half the time in Slice & Dice, even in easy or am I just horrendous at this game?

Some people struggle with easy, some people beat hard on their first try. I think it comes down to
roguelike experience, understanding the game systems and a bit of probability intuition.

Easy mode is probably more fun with the different blessings to pick. Once you become more skilled it's only curses :)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

You will improve with time, if you pay attention and go over ways you could have done better.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

hooah posted:

You will get better as you see combos but a lot of it is the RNG of rolls and what items you get. I have played a LOT of games and I still lose to Easy sometimes just because things don't go my way in the RNG.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Tips on beating monsters with 25% more health? Is there a custom party that works best? I thought I'd steamroll with all casters, but I can't do enough damage/mana production in the early game.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like I maybe just don't understand how to pump stuff up? The slimes especially just wipe me out - I can't keep up with their damage output. It's especially frustrating when I reroll some dice up to three times and they just keep giving the same values. That seems to happen far more frequently than statistically likely.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

My win rate is not very good at all. Usually I'm fairly uncertain on a run until after I beat the slime queen. If that was decent/easy fight then I'm fairly confident in the run.

It doesn't help that strength of early tier items range from pretty good to God awful. Tier 3 and 4 seems to be the most varied in strength. Like tier 3 you get can a mana on turn 1 or +1 damage to all basic attack dice.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tann posted:

Some people struggle with easy, some people beat hard on their first try. I think it comes down to
roguelike experience, understanding the game systems and a bit of probability intuition.

Easy mode is probably more fun with the different blessings to pick. Once you become more skilled it's only curses :)

Speaking of curses, does anyone know if the challenge for beating a fight with 13 curses counts the curses that get replaced? Like the one that heals the most damaged enemy for 1, and gets replaced later if you pick the one that heals for 2. Does that count as 1 or 2 curses?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just started Hard for the first time last night, what are the least lovely curses?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

I just started Hard for the first time last night, what are the least lovely curses?

I had the easiest time with start damaged. That way you can pick healers with cleave heals and they are useful turn 1.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

That probably the best. The absolute worst is the +1 mana cost to spells.

Also, has something happened to the difficulty recently. I'm playing on unfair, so I am not expecting to win. I was regularly getting to stage 16 or 17 without too much issue. These past couple of days however I don't think I've gotten past stage 6.

I've not seen the Lich or Rotten for a long long time. Though the last time I saw the Lich he also pissed me off by rolling nothing but spawn Bones. I was overwhelmed quickly.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man I had a good run die to round 19, which is just a bunch of mobs. I think something like 4 or 5 bones got summoned on the first turn. And my sniper refused to roll an instant kill or a 3 cleave. That half your die dude.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

That probably the best. The absolute worst is the +1 mana cost to spells.

I think -1 reroll is the worst when you do unfair. By itself it's not the worst, but combined with literally anything else and you're hosed.

hooah posted:

I feel like I maybe just don't understand how to pump stuff up? The slimes especially just wipe me out - I can't keep up with their damage output. It's especially frustrating when I reroll some dice up to three times and they just keep giving the same values. That seems to happen far more frequently than statistically likely.

It will always feel like it happens more than is statistically likely. That's how brains do their thing.

With slimes, I'm always careful to not trigger the next split until you've dealt with whatever adds are on the board already. And, IF you can swing it so that you have a fresh board of dice and the boss is at the next split, you can split him, then focus and possibly destroy the adds before they even get a chance to roll.

Also, abilities that kill enemies without doing damage are very handy. Like Zap or the hunter ranged kill ability.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Is there a goon kingdom for puzzle quest 3? I just started and it seems pretty fun. Though I almost immediately filled my free 3 chest quest slots with diamond chests that will take 24 hours and it is kind of annoying to only be able to crunch chests for a paltry gold amount until then

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I win on Hard a majority of the time and my advice in a vacuum is that winning at 1 hp is no different than winning at full hp. Most of the time as long as heroes aren't dying that's fine; unless it prevents someone from being poisoned or kills a monster that is going to deal damage i try and save my mana for the next turn so I can have as much information as possible and make more informed decisions. You can always spend that 3 mana the turn after and the total amount of damage or armour will be the same.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nemico posted:

I win on Hard a majority of the time and my advice in a vacuum is that winning at 1 hp is no different than winning at full hp.

This is it really. The only hit point that matters is the last one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also with hard and unfair, perfection is the enemy of good enough.

Unless you need that hail marry die roll or you fail either way, then go for gold.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Since this has become the slice & dice thread I thought I'd post a few items I made today :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It is inevitably the time in the Android thread where someone says it; maybe we should make a slice and dice thread 🤔

Edit: Those new items are dope

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just now I learned that if you die in the same turn the enemies die, you win the round and your heros come back.

I then lost the next round because Unfair is a gently caress but still. Good to know.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Yeah, and that's also true for things like Attack + Shield (or heal). If you're at 1hp and you use Attack + Shield on an enemy with thorns it will let you perform all parts of the attack before it checks to see if you're dead, so it shields you before it kills you. It works a lot like Magic the Gathering. There may be an outlier to this like a Pain attack that triggers the 'gain 1 max hp when you take an action that saves a hero' item or something, but I can't recreate that to confirm

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also i'm trying to beat Unfair on shortcut because the curses hit way harder when you're level 1 and no items.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Getting the expensive spell curse gotten for hard is a lot easier if you pair it will the brute force achievement. That achievement is beat a custom hard mode with no clerics or mages in your party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

explosivo posted:

It is inevitably the time in the Android thread where someone says it; maybe we should make a slice and dice thread 🤔

Just in time to totally kill the game 🤭