Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
the word from on-high, based on that nyt piece, has obviously come down that the risk of vaccinated spread is completely exaggerated and you need to get back to them bennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

genericnick posted:

Always seemed kind of meme to me.

Maybe? I mean it's not their air filter, but I've been very happy with a dyson heater I bought some years back, and a Dyson vacuum cleaner I ordered shortly before the plague began is legit the best vacuum I've ever owned.
Granted, I'm by no means an expert in any of those fields and haven't bought that many where I can say my anecdotal experience counts for much, but yeah, if anyone's looking to buy a vacuum cleaner, Dyson gets my vote?

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

navyjack posted:

Just want to take a second and say how much a appreciate Rubby’s artwork. These are really something special and I always brighten up when my doomscrolling takes me past a fed-up penguin.

Real Mean Queen posted:

Please keep doing these, they’re really good

oh hey, wow. That really means a lot, thanks a whole heap!

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

https://dfr.vermont.gov/sites/finreg/files/doc_library/dfr-covid19-modeling-083121.pdf posted:

Vermont August Data
Among Fully Vaccinated People (423,508 people):
• ⁠Tested Positive: 0.36% (1,550 cases)
• ⁠Hospitalized: 0.009% (36 cases)
• ⁠Died: 0.003% (13 cases)

I don't think the tested positive percentage is all that helpful since who knows how many people were actually exposed. But uh, 2.3% of those that tested positive being hospitalized is fun.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

sacrificing my child so that I can appreciate denny's $8 brunch menu as society crumbles

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Schnorkles posted:

the word from on-high, based on that nyt piece, has obviously come down that the risk of vaccinated spread is completely exaggerated and you need to get back to them bennies.

I know what you mean but also lol because symptomatic spread is like "nah, just some allergies I can hardly notice it unless I really try" and "don't worry I was doing some yard work, and some of that brush pile smoke caused a little cough".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Caseman posted:

I don't think the tested positive percentage is all that helpful since who knows how many people were actually exposed. But uh, 2.3% of those that tested positive being hospitalized is fun.

The total population of Vermont is 600,000 so what they're saying here is that 1 in 300 of ALL vaccinated people have had breakthrough cases already.

edit: math

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

empty whippet box posted:

haha just in time for midterms nice

(and by 'that thing' I mean a VERY IMPORTANT private message)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Caseman posted:

The hospitalization vs CFR portion is probably the most important thing to consider. n=36, so take it as you will, but more than 35% of your hospitalized patients dying likely means a significantly immunocompromised cohort there.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't get revenge. I don't get anger. I just don't get it.

I guess I just want someone else to be sad with.

drat

lol

get angry IMO

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

The total population of Vermont is 600,000 so what they're saying here is that 1 in 300 of ALL vaccinated people have had breakthrough cases already.

edit: math

this would imply the vaccines are dramatically better than advertised, tbh.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Schnorkles posted:

If everyone had been exposed, because that is only useful in measuring against the people who haven't been vaccinated getting covid during the same time interval, but maybe you already have that number handy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fireside Nut posted:

Yeah, I totally understand. Delta is certainly a different animal than the earlier variants/wild type, but the risk to you is truly very, very small in this setting. If you are wearing a good mask, others are masked (even if they are crummy masks), and you are fully vaxxed (or boosted), the chances of a really poor outcome are pretty remote. You also have to weigh that risk against whatever other medical conditions you might have. Think about it this way, it's better to try and treat your medical conditions before they become something that could exacerbate a Covid infection (not saying yours would in this case, but just saying this generally).

Also, you can do things like wait outside if you want. When I went to the dentist last week the waiting room was packed (and had some unmasked people), so I asked them to get me from outside when it was my turn. They said cool, no problem.

durrneez posted:

I’m pretty scared before I go to the doctor, too, and I freaked out for a while before I went to the dentist. I usually psych myself up when I’m doing my negative and positive pressure checks—ONLY YOUR RESPIRATOR TRUST.

It’s ok to call ahead and ask about their safety precautions.

Edited to add: unsolicited advice: in my area, and most likely in yours too, hospitals are full as gently caress and residents are being asked to staff more shifts to respond to the surge. So while administrators fumble over where else to pull staff from, now would be a good time to see a PCP before they’re all staffing ICUs.

thread moves real fast so sorry if I missed anyone but thanks, these are great points and I’ll make an appointment for my dumb body

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

1 in 300 against delta is miracle numbers.

its likely not nearly that good.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

bowser posted:

let's go back to work
let's keep working
keep working
KEEP loving GOING TO YOUR JOB
keep going to your job that you hate
keep making money for us
KEEP.
GOING.
TO.
WORK.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

In this house we
GET the vaccine
TRUST the science
APPLAUD our health care workers
EAT at applebees
GO to loving work
IGNORE fully vaxxed deaths
WANT our kids to die

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

If everyone had been exposed, because that is only useful in measuring against the people who haven't been vaccinated getting covid during the same time interval, but maybe you already have that number handy.

i don't think these numbers exist, we're mostly flying blind on the overall effectiveness of the vaccines barring "very good."

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
0 deaths reported in Indiana today

oh...

also why does this notice say 9/17 on it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rubby posted:

oh hey, wow. That really means a lot, thanks a whole heap!

your clone high edits had me laughing really hard, and all the art is awesome, keep it up

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

AceOfFlames posted:

I once tried Ritalin and it didn't work. MY parents were so angry about having to wait in the car for so long during the sessions to get that diagnosis that I never tried again.

Dude, between this and the thing about them pushing you to move for your brother, your parents seem like douchebags.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now they’re just rubbing it in.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

more importantly this is a pretty imprecise measure, its the only one we actually have, but it has all sorts of confouding information in it. Just comparing vaccinated to unvaccinated doesn't tell us much without a whole series of other controls that probably add up to way too much of a thumb on the scale.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Thoguh posted:

My concern at this point is very low for getting a severe case and low to moderate for getting long COVID, but high for giving it to my wife or infant because one is vaxxed but high risk because her parents smoked in the house when she was growing up so respiratory stuff always knocks her on her rear end, and my infant because she's unvaxxed.

very unpatriotic response, don't you enjoy and support eggs bendict and mimosas?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

lmfao

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Floor is lava posted:

oh...

lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Floor is lava posted:

oh...

Time travel

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

more importantly this is a pretty imprecise measure, its the only one we actually have, but it has all sorts of confouding information in it. Just comparing vaccinated to unvaccinated doesn't tell us much without a whole series of other controls that probably add up to way too much of a thumb on the scale.

If you look at the vax status of hospitalized vs population that tells you something

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rah! posted:

jack in 2 the matrix

with gusto :jackbud:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Schnorkles posted:

it implies gently caress all because no one knows how many of those vaccinated people are even being exposed to the virus

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Floor is lava posted:

oh...

I think we both refreshed that page at the same time lol

someone at ISDH is hung over

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

quote:

Another issue they say is the federal money being allocated by the state for travel nurses which is $12.3 million in total, meaning they could make more than the nurses currently at UAB.

https://twitter.com/wsfa12news/status/1435052228876853248?s=20

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Now they’re just rubbing it in.

isn't one of the pediatrics orgs a big fake run by chuds? is this that one?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Louisgod posted:

my kids are going back to school this Friday, what are the best and not insanely expensive at-home COVID tests I can buy so when I get the inevitable "a child in your classroom has been exposed to COVID" email I can act right away

lmao

guess what there ain’t loving nothing. “We’ve been out for weeks”. and good luck getting a test at any location either. my youngest has a runny nose. welp better get him tested. nobody has take home tests for sale because they are out. lol the public testing sites have scaled back on testing availability because there are private providers. no private providers open for testing on the holiday. my wife is currently in line for a drive up for my son, apparently there is a very very long line and the site isn’t even open yet.

awesome that this is now every runny nose my toddler will have.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe they should've voted more

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lmao

guess what there ain’t loving nothing. “We’ve been out for weeks”. and good luck getting a test at any location either. my youngest has a runny nose. welp better get him tested. nobody has take home tests for sale because they are out. lol the public testing sites have scaled back on testing availability because there are private providers. no private providers open for testing on the holiday. my wife is currently in line for a drive up for my son, apparently there is a very very long line and the site isn’t even open yet.

awesome that this is now every runny nose my toddler will have.

a lot of schools are making exposed kids quarantine til they get a negative test back, so being unable to get a test at all is gonna be yet another pressure point on the 'stop quarantining exposed kids'

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Caseman posted:

I mean, while my freak outs in this thread and others have probably helped make it clear I'm the last person on Earth to say the risk is either negligible or acceptable, I was under the impression that as a general rule we can assume the number of people who have caught COVID and either recovered or died without it ever being identified - even without the various states and nations involved deliberately massaging the numbers - was probably vastly higher than the official number simply because in most places testing is so low?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i don't get to watch dune in the theaters and that sucks op

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean, while my freak outs in this thread and others have probably helped make it clear I'm the last person on Earth to say the risk is either negligible or acceptable, I was under the impression that as a general rule we can assume the number of people who have caught COVID and either recovered or died without it ever being identified - even without the various states and nations involved deliberately massaging the numbers - was probably vastly higher than the official number simply because in most places testing is so low?

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

i don't get to watch dune in the theaters and that sucks op