Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Froghammer posted:

This is an argument I never see fascists openly acknowledging. Do Hambly and other people in the Fascist Nostalgia YouTuber Bro-sphere actually like things? Or are they just endlessly complaining about things they hate?

What, you've never seen one of those weird, long-winded reclamation rants where some 4chan nazi creep tries to claim that MLP or some anime actually is on their side for real and you can tell because they had a background element in one shot once that if you squinted kind of looked like a lighning bolt or sun figure or something? They like the same lowest common denominator internet dork poo poo as anyone else, they just have an elaborate routine of genuflecting and prevarication they gotta do to inoculate themselves from the accusations of their horrible peers (who also like the same poo poo).

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i understand it but i don't sympathize. there's no such thing as apolitical art and mandatory silence by definition favors the status quo. the fact that it also shuts out open reactionaries is a silver lining, but just banning those people would achieve the same end -- it just requires, well, taking a side and effectively saying you don't want their money

I don't think Necrotic Gnome makes "apolitical art", is the thing. A lot of the people that work on OSE products are people who are already on red on that list (like Diogo Nogueira). It's a community moderation policy, not a design or publishing policy. Do I agree with it? No. But I do feel very confident that Gavin Norman isn't gonna turn around and be a chud himself.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

theironjef posted:

What, you've never seen one of those weird, long-winded reclamation rants where some 4chan nazi creep tries to claim that MLP or some anime actually is on their side for real and you can tell because they had a background element in one shot once that if you squinted kind of looked like a lighning bolt or sun figure or something?
Hambly, and most of them, are smart enough not to show their power level like that. Is it all just Marvel movies (older ones, before the SJWs ruined them) and Ubisoft games all the way down?

...Jesus god it is, isn't it. I'm realizing that it is as I'm typing this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

theironjef posted:

What, you've never seen one of those weird, long-winded reclamation rants where some 4chan nazi creep tries to claim that MLP or some anime actually is on their side for real and you can tell because they had a background element in one shot once that if you squinted kind of looked like a lighning bolt or sun figure or something? They like the same lowest common denominator internet dork poo poo as anyone else, they just have an elaborate routine of genuflecting and prevarication they gotta do to inoculate themselves from the accusations of their horrible peers (who also like the same poo poo).
Yeah, while the specific political context makes it uniquely horrible, the nerd-shame dance over whatever thing you're into predates this recent radicalization wave.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Froghammer posted:

This is an argument I never see fascists openly acknowledging. Do Hambly and other people in the Fascist Nostalgia YouTuber Bro-sphere actually like things? Or are they just endlessly complaining about things they hate?

he also whines about people talking about the industry being bad, he got dunked on so hard by loving shoe0nhead of all people he deleted this banger:

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1430616911943962625

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Xiahou Dun posted:

So there isn’t actually a surprise. Did they at least do this in October?

“October surprise” is an American political thing about last second political news, referencing how since presidential elections happen in early November, news in October has an outsized weight for voters.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

“October surprise” is an American political thing about last second political news, referencing how since presidential elections happen in early November, news in October has an outsized weight for voters.

Yes, the point being that none of that is related. It's a silly name.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Warthur posted:

I can 100% sympathise with a game company saying "we are not interested in hosting discussions not directly related to our products", it's an evil of the age that having such social media communities is semi-necessary to get traction but they're also a nightmare quagmire.

My professional experience is that it just hamstrings your ability to react to intolerant and regressive folks infesting your community. To these people it's all about appearances, and it doesn't matter if they are perfectly aware that you're personally against their politics privately. As long as they can pretend you're secretly on your side, or are too afraid to speak up against them, they retain their internal illusion of power.

Because, ultimately, that's what it's all about : feeling like they have power over the industry, or industry figures. That's part of why their ethos is so inconsistent, it's not about some set of values, no matter how cruel those values might be. It's not about really having allies, just perceived influence. Only openly rejecting them can really remove that illusion of being part of some silent majority.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
CMON is getting into NFTs

https://twitter.com/NoPunIncluded/status/1434892490742681602

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Finally, I can buy a $10k miniature I'll never paint.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

moths posted:

Finally, I can buy a $10k miniature I'll never paint.

But enough about Forgeworld

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My first response was honestly "Aww, c'mon!"

*canned sitcom applause*

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Froghammer posted:

They only like things that will make it seems like they are owning libs or feminists. It's all part of the grift they align to.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

he also whines about people talking about the industry being bad, he got dunked on so hard by loving shoe0nhead of all people he deleted this banger:

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1430616911943962625

He tried to make a big scene about leaving WoW when the Blizzard bullshit with the 'Free Hong Kong' streamer happened but he eventually crawled back to the game and sneered at people that pointed it out. He doesn't stand for anything that doesn't get him money easily.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Who is this shoe0nhead person? They seem to understand some of the problems with today's society but also one of the first tweets I see of them is about bragging about being problematic, so I'm getting some mixed messages here.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
grifter who looks like a girl who was popular on 4chan, currently moving her grifting leftwards

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

Who is this shoe0nhead person? They seem to understand some of the problems with today's society but also one of the first tweets I see of them is about bragging about being problematic, so I'm getting some mixed messages here.

"Hello, I am a girl who browses 4chan just like you!"

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

A slightly more attractive version of Tim Pool.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arivia posted:

I think that was Davis Chenault of Troll Lord Games, but I've looked a couple times for that post or any actual record of it to no success. If you find it, I would really like to have a link.
Thanks for correcting that. I don't mean to spread nasty rumours.

I haven't thought about TheRPGSite in a long time. It's nice to see that it hasn't changed: the only thing that unites them is having been kicked out of other places because they cannot have a simple conversation without freaking out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Thanks for correcting that. I don't mean to spread nasty rumours.

I haven't thought about TheRPGSite in a long time. It's nice to see that it hasn't changed: the only thing that unites them is having been kicked out of other places because they cannot have a simple conversation without freaking out.
Man, remember when nisarg was just a dude screaming into the void on his Xanga (lol) and banned from RPGnet, instead of a dude screaming into the void on TheRPGSite and remaining banned everywhere else?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Froghammer posted:

TIL I'm a fascist :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

Man, remember when nisarg was just a dude screaming into the void on his Xanga (lol) and banned from RPGnet, instead of a dude screaming into the void on TheRPGSite and remaining banned everywhere else?

Clearly this was before he found enlightenment as a swamiji.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

paradoxGentleman posted:

"Lady fascists who dress up their fascism in leftist language" is a whole subgenre of Twitter influencer. The Internet Culture Warrior thread in C-SPAM is full of them.

Honestly if you don't know who Aimee Therese is, more power to you.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Wait, is Steve Jackson a MAGA?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EdsTeioh posted:

He started up a project with Webb from Frog God, well after it was known Webb was a huge creep. When asked about this he/the company said basically "nah don't care, the money is good." When later asked, a representative of the company gave a pretty weak "we have no current or future plans for further work with Webb."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think a Texas libertarian, but the cyberpunk raid would leave anyone anti-government.

I think their worst offense currently is work with Bill Webb.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EdsTeioh posted:

He's a libertarian (understandably so, given what the USSS tried to do to him).

SJG aligned themselves with chuds when they defended their relationship with Frog God Games.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man. I mean, SJG in their current form just churn out trash, but they were a big part of my gaming youth. I guess it could be worse, but whatevs.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

No. That's precisely one of the points leveled against him, he signed on to a list of game designers encouraging fans to vote for Biden.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No. That's precisely one of the points leveled against him, he signed on to a list of game designers encouraging fans to vote for Biden.

Yeah, I think I misunderstood "TDS"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Splicer posted:

TIL I'm a fascist :(
I mean, let's get in the weeds here.

Central to fascism is the idea that things used to be better than they are. When you apply that logic to art, then the only art that fascists like are pieces of art that reference other pieces of art that they like. This means games have to be reminiscent of other games and stick to specific genre guidelines; "this is a first person shooter" or "this is a turn-based RPG" or other types of games that are similar to types of games they've played dozens of before. Put a brand new genre or experience in front of these people and they'll lose their minds, because they'll have no context for it. The debate over "walking simulators" has largely been settled, but their existence was a huge industry talking point for a while. A chunk of gamers thought that they straight up weren't games, and that faction only died down once the genre had become established enough that it could become self-referential.

You see this attitude a lot in the TRPG-sphere, with people prefering to ignore whatever new ground is being broken in game design space and only sticking to versions of Dungeons and Dragons that are 40 years old. Only things that reference the mindset that those games were trying to establish is worth saving and preserving. Everything else is a perversion of the hobby.

If you like new stuff, and the reason you like it is because it's new and not because it's meant to remind you of something you've experienced before, then you're probably not a fascist.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Froghammer posted:

Central to fascism is the idea that things used to be better than they are.

Similarly, reframing this into I was unaware that things were as bad breaks certain people, who cannot fathom that they didn't have perfect worldly knowledge as a tween.

Ironically, new experiences have more in common with real nostalgia than re-treading the same paths and re-consuming the same media. What made the original experience resonate was that it was new. You won't get the same experience through the same media, because you've already seen it. You'll never meet a Beholder for the first time again.

The closest you can get to that perpetual nostalgia is through new experience, which is a big part of why the longest-enduring franchises in media and gaming reinvent themselves completely every five years or so.

You can't meet that same Beholder, but you might meet a new Beholder-alike in a variant game, which is a closer experience to what you remember.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moths posted:

Similarly, reframing this into I was unaware that things were as bad breaks certain people, who cannot fathom that they didn't have perfect worldly knowledge as a tween.

Ironically, new experiences have more in common with real nostalgia than re-treading the same paths and re-consuming the same media. What made the original experience resonate was that it was new. You won't get the same experience through the same media, because you've already seen it. You'll never meet a Beholder for the first time again.

The closest you can get to that perpetual nostalgia is through new experience, which is a big part of why the longest-enduring franchises in media and gaming reinvent themselves completely every five years or so.

You can't meet that same Beholder, but you might meet a new Beholder-alike in a variant game, which is a closer experience to what you remember.

If you intend to play the first two Eye of the Beholder CRPGs, and you should, do not read the following.

In the first game, the end boss is Xanathar, the beholder from the name. Extremely challenging, basically almost impossible to defeat directly - you're instead expected to shove him into an elaborate trap. In the second game, you're in this weird evil religious tower, and then all of a sudden you open a door and you see... A BEHOLDER! The biggest, baddest foe from the last game! Except it's actually a gas spore, which looks like a beholder but just explodes into noxious gas when you hit it once.

You do run into beholders later, but they're not as strong as Xanathar, plus you're at a higher level at this point, especially if you transferred your characters over from the last game.

Much more satisfying than just having another beholder end boss.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you intend to play the first two Eye of the Beholder CRPGs, and you should, do not read the following.

In the first game, the end boss is Xanathar, the beholder from the name. Extremely challenging, basically almost impossible to defeat directly - you're instead expected to shove him into an elaborate trap. In the second game, you're in this weird evil religious tower, and then all of a sudden you open a door and you see... A BEHOLDER! The biggest, baddest foe from the last game! Except it's actually a gas spore, which looks like a beholder but just explodes into noxious gas when you hit it once.

You do run into beholders later, but they're not as strong as Xanathar, plus you're at a higher level at this point, especially if you transferred your characters over from the last game.

Much more satisfying than just having another beholder end boss.

Curse of Azure Bonds (a related FR CRPG) has you face the Mulmaster Beholder Corps, a literal trained crack elite squad of beholders as a late-game optional boss. Beholders good.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Froghammer posted:

I mean, let's get in the weeds here.

Central to fascism is the idea that things used to be better than they are. When you apply that logic to art, then the only art that fascists like are pieces of art that reference other pieces of art that they like. This means games have to be reminiscent of other games and stick to specific genre guidelines; "this is a first person shooter" or "this is a turn-based RPG" or other types of games that are similar to types of games they've played dozens of before. Put a brand new genre or experience in front of these people and they'll lose their minds, because they'll have no context for it. The debate over "walking simulators" has largely been settled, but their existence was a huge industry talking point for a while. A chunk of gamers thought that they straight up weren't games, and that faction only died down once the genre had become established enough that it could become self-referential.

You see this attitude a lot in the TRPG-sphere, with people prefering to ignore whatever new ground is being broken in game design space and only sticking to versions of Dungeons and Dragons that are 40 years old. Only things that reference the mindset that those games were trying to establish is worth saving and preserving. Everything else is a perversion of the hobby.

If you like new stuff, and the reason you like it is because it's new and not because it's meant to remind you of something you've experienced before, then you're probably not a fascist.

I've never saw it though this angle but it makes perfect sense and it's obvious in hindsight that to certain brand of chuds there's "degenerate ttrpgs" for the same reasons fash considered some art "degenerate art"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pacho posted:

I've never saw it though this angle but it makes perfect sense and it's obvious in hindsight that to certain brand of chuds there's "degenerate ttrpgs" for the same reasons fash considered some art "degenerate art"
Fascists use art, and appreciaters of art, as a means of recruitment. They want people to look at government the same way they look at art. In modern day this means getting in bed with fandoms in order to establish a nerd-to-fash pipeline.

Which, yeah. Spend ten minutes on YouTube. It's not subtle. These people know what they're doing when they're complaining about SJWs ruining Star Wars.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My favourite thing about Eye of the Beholder 2 is that the end boss is Q from Star Trek. I mean, he's not called that and doesn't act like that. But the art is a direct and blatant ripoff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, I think I misunderstood "TDS"

Mind, by no means would I call Stevie a progressive, he's perfectly willing to work with some problematic parties and SJ Games' "small-l" libertarian lean is no secret, but he's not pro-Trump.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, SJG are pretty conservative libertarians but they aren’t death cultists.

The degree to which you think the difference matters is up to you.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

FMguru posted:

He's a libertarian (understandably so, given what the USSS tried to do to him).

SJG aligned themselves with chuds when they defended their relationship with Frog God Games.

"Excuse me, we're called SJG games, not SJW games." :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I spent a couple of days with Steve at a non-TRPG con (and had no idea who he was because I wasn’t paying attention to Trad games back then) and Texas Libertarian sounds about right.