Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cases have had a nice bump as a bank holiday treat, and they will surely have another with the reopening of schools, so more restrictions are probably on the cards.

I wonder if they'll have to thread the needle on cancelling Christmas again, or if reduced hospitalisations and deaths means they'll just decide that everyone can do what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I actually had no idea national insurance was that regressive. There is really no good reason for it to exist. Also I have to pay a weath tax that is a little bit progressive, and if the loving Swiss are able to tolerate a wealth tax, surely the UK can manage to bring one in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I actually had no idea national insurance was that regressive. There is really no good reason for it to exist. Also I have to pay a weath tax that is a little bit progressive, and if the loving Swiss are able to tolerate a wealth tax, surely the UK can manage to bring one in.

It's easy to tolerate a small wealth tax when you know you have an inheritance of Nazi gold resting in an anonymous account somewhere

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's good to read some positive dadpolitics interactions, too many crap dads itt

Seeing my parents for the first time in several years soon, so I'm bound to have more libdad stories for the thread. :v:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
My dad is a hardcore Fubpee. Honestly think it'd be less annoying if he was just right wing at this point.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's easy to tolerate a small wealth tax when you know you have an inheritance of Nazi gold resting in an anonymous account somewhere

Funny thing about this is people seem to give more FlaK to the Swiss for trading with the Nazis in WW2 than the Germans for actually being the Nazis. Not defending the swiss bankers ofc.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

My dad treated me to a rant about how it's only right and proper working people foot the bill for him, as a pensioner. This is going to go through like a greased otter, and Labour won't lift a finger to stop it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Trickjaw posted:

My dad treated me to a rant about how it's only right and proper working people foot the bill for him, as a pensioner. This is going to go through like a greased otter, and Labour won't lift a finger to stop it.

Starmer will oppose the 1.5% increase and propose that a Labour government would only raise NI by 1.25%

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Speaking of things that will go through like a greased otter: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/07/uk-troubles-amnesty-plan-goes-further-than-pinochets-study

quote:

The UK government’s plan to end all Troubles-era prosecutions in Northern Ireland would create an amnesty wider than the one Augusto Pinochet introduced to shield human rights violators in Chile, according to a study.

Downing Street’s plan would offer a level of impunity more sweeping than almost 300 other post-conflict amnesties introduced around the world, said the report, published on Tuesday.

The blistering critique came in a joint study by legal experts at Queen’s University Belfast and a Belfast-based advocacy group, the Committee on the Administration of Justice (CAJ).

“The effect of the proposed UK government amnesty would be to prevent not only criminal prosecutions but also to close down current or future investigations in the civil courts, in coronial inquests or police ombudsman investigations – all of which would be closed off to families,” said Louise Mallinder, a law professor at Queen’s.

“I have been working on amnesties around the world for almost 20 years and I have analysed almost 300 amnesties related to conflict and peace from 1990 until 2016. The proposed UK amnesty would offer the broadest form of impunity of all the amnesties surveyed.”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

knox_harrington posted:

Funny thing about this is people seem to give more FlaK to the Swiss for trading with the Nazis in WW2 than the Germans for actually being the Nazis. Not defending the swiss bankers ofc.

Bankers are monumentally unlikeable

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

When I told my Dad the shelves were empty and he couldn't get the things he wanted from the shops because of a lack of lorry drivers and he voted to "get rid of the foreigners" he said the lazy people with no jobs can do it instead then.

He also asked if the Indian teacher my Mum is teaching assistant for talks with a *does stereotypical Indian / Apu impression* head wobble thing.

What a wanker.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

When I told my Dad the shelves were empty and he couldn't get the things he wanted from the shops because of a lack of lorry drivers and he voted to "get rid of the foreigners" he said the lazy people with no jobs can do it instead then.
Amazing how many of these cunts do nothing but complain about everyone around them being bad at their jobs, while also insisting that the unemployed should be hounded to death if they don't apply for everything available.

I'm unemployed for a reason, I'm poo poo at everything I've tried to do thus far in my life. Most jobs are just bust work to keep other people doing pointless poo poo equally busy. Stop making me do work.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's okay everyone it's a health and social care tax we're paying for clapclap-times carers so it's okay and if you say it's bad you're a horrible uncaring monster

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

forkboy84 posted:

Bankers are monumentally unlikeable

My dad’s an economist if anyone is making “most nazi profession” charts.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

crispix posted:

it's okay everyone it's a health and social care tax we're paying for clapclap-times carers so it's okay and if you say it's bad you're a horrible uncaring monster

Naturally, all front line staff will get their pay rise now, right?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

NHS workers see lowest cut in wages in a decade masked as a pay rise.

NHS workers eat a NI rise to pay for it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

It's not very comradely, but I think now all working people, who can't afford accountants to loophole out of it, to get on board with umbrella companies, until underlying wealth is effectively taxed. They could have done both, too, and this wouldn't be immediately spotted as mortgaging the future of the populace.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I think you've been indoctrinated into some Basel selfpity groupthink because that is just not true at all lol.

learnincurve posted:

My dad’s an economist if anyone is making “most nazi profession” charts.

Of fucken course he is

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1435278978030391300

I really am very confused as to what could be quantified as a lie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When Diane Abbott forgets a number.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

Well a lot of the german nazis got blown up by literal flak so that helps.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It would be cool if there were some videogames where you could headshot Swiss bankers tho

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

It would be cool if there were some videogames where you could headshot Swiss bankers tho

The Hitman games (the new trilogy) is pretty good for that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

the third level of Hitman has a Swedish one if that's close enough for you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like hating the british because nobody has nuked us yet, pretty reasonable tbh.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

the third level of Hitman has a Swedish one if that's close enough for you

Yeah they're the same thing afaik

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As nobody has nuked me yet I spent today at work.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

keep punching joe posted:

Lol didn't realise higher income peeps pay less NI, just assumed it was flat across the population.

https://twitter.com/Aidanj1999/status/1435179513671991298?t=Gq0EA8UnxPC-6EegzWH33Q

I dunno if it's different in Scotland but I'm just above that figure for my salary and paid 9% NIS last month.

As far as I was aware you pay a certain tax threshold on your salary up to a certain figure.

So I pay 12% on £30k or whatever and then the rest is 2% of £20k (I don't know the actual thresholds).

It doesn't change things though. Just that it is flat in a sense. The only difference between higher and lower earners is that the higher earners have a second bucket of money that's taxed less.

I think.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The way of thinking about it is that people earning less money pay proportionally more of their money in taxes so that the higher earners don't have to.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Caught Newsbeat on Radio 1 driving home and they had a vox pop from a young woman, Sophie, who voted Tory in the last election. Genuinely did a little cackle when her vox pop was basically "I don't see why working people such as myself should pay for the rise in NI, surely the government should Cut Benefits to Get More People Into Work to pay for it instead". Actual stereotype. The report must have been at around 17:45 if anyone fancies a listen (why would you though).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That could literally be a colleague of mine. Very nice, sensible Sophie... voted Tory, just like so many others.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

So the Guardian printed a great interview with Judith Butler

https://twitter.com/robin__craig/status/1435212820036128771?s=21

Then, presumably after the Terfs at the paper actually read the content of it, they excised three entire paragraphs, the reasoning being “developments which occurred after the interview took place (???)

https://twitter.com/oldnorthroad/status/1435327870742769665?s=21

Absolutely mad stuff. gently caress the Guardian

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxville posted:

So the Guardian printed a great interview with Judith Butler

https://twitter.com/robin__craig/status/1435212820036128771?s=21

Then, presumably after the Terfs at the paper actually read the content of it, they excised three entire paragraphs, the reasoning being “developments which occurred after the interview took place (???)

https://twitter.com/oldnorthroad/status/1435327870742769665?s=21

Absolutely mad stuff. gently caress the Guardian

Jesus. That’s disgusting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can we even call them liberal when they censor an article to remove the bits saying "these are the neo-fascists, this is why they're neo-fascists, and neo-fascism is on the rise".

Guess the liberal got scratched.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

Can we even call them liberal when they censor an article to remove the bits saying "these are the neo-fascists, this is why they're neo-fascists, and neo-fascism is on the rise".

Guess the liberal got scratched.

Sounds liberal tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Butler really is up there with Chomsky in absolutely just demolishing her ideological opponents with rock-solid arguments and deep understanding of the academic discourse.

The Guardian, to the contrary, sucks poo poo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Any liberal in the tradition of J S Mill or Bertrand Russell would come to the conclusion that either "if we print the fascist, so that their points can be discussed, we must print the points discussing them" or "the fascist will print his point anyway, so when a respected person from an affected group makes a counterpoint we have a duty to make it for consideration" depending on which of the two (and at which point in their life) the liberal is tending towards.

If they can't even meet that minimal moral standard, then they've gone fully into the abyss of bow tie classical liberals and fascist appeaser liberals.

e: ^ I was just thinking of Chomsky as another "respected person from an affected group" who they'd probably censor to appease fash.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^ I was just thinking of Chomsky as another "respected person from an affected group" who they'd probably censor to appease fash.

Didn't they stop publishing Chomsky years ago? I remember Chomsky on something in the last couple of years grumbling that the only place that would publish him is the London Review of Books

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't he go all in on the freeze peach rowling letter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They interviewed him about Trump's Covid response last year, but idk if they censored any crucial chunks, even if only because 'Trump bad' is relatively uncontroversial for them.

e: ^ He did sign the letter that Atwood and Rushdie also signed, but Atwood is anti-terf and it was more a general warning against curtailing controversial speech because it was unpopular with certain interests, which lol the guardian just loving did.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 7, 2021