Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think it's like Abraham Lincoln: it's funny to take him out of his original context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The last good Elvis jokes were all made in Bubba Ho-Tep and that movie is almost 20 years old.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The last good Elvis jokes were all made in Fallout: New Vegas and that game is 10 years old.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm just so exhausted with how often the mere appearance of an Elvis or someone dressed like Elvis is treated as the entire joke.

That's because Elvis himself was a joke.

His name comes from the Gealic word for "Rock" you can't expect me to believe that he actually existed because that's far too on the nose.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Antidote - if you have access to a serum that cures everything up to and including death, why do all the doctors bother wearing traditional surgery safety gear like masks and gloves etc? They certainly aren't as sterile as real surgeons, but aside from the aprons preventing them getting blood on their clothes I'm not sure what the point is of keeping up the whole "hospital" act.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Antidote - if you have access to a serum that cures everything up to and including death, why do all the doctors bother wearing traditional surgery safety gear like masks and gloves etc? They certainly aren't as sterile as real surgeons, but aside from the aprons preventing them getting blood on their clothes I'm not sure what the point is of keeping up the whole "hospital" act.
Is it expensive?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FFT posted:

Is it expensive?

Doesn't seem that way considering they seem to be murdering the patients and bringing them back on a daily basis

e: nevermind, it's just one of those "actually we're all dead and this is hell" movies so nothing has to make sense

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Sep 5, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm re-watching HBO Rome and oh boy, if you binge watch it Lucius Vorenus changes more roles in a day than a pantomime actor. Over 13 episodes (12 in season 1 and one in season 2) he becomes:
- A centurion
- A merchant
- A prefect
- An enforcer
- A butcher
- A magistrate
- A senator (!)
- A crime boss (!!!)
It's a pity cause I liked the "average Joe" slice of life scenes he and Pullo are in at the beginning, but things start getting out of hand quick.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite little moment with him is when they're stranded without real hope of rescue on an island. Vorenus starts angrily carving a message to his wife Niobe and Pullo asks if he can add a message for his own girlfriend. Vorenus, crossly, "If there's space."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rome is so good but the second season suffers so much for having three extra seasons of plot shoved into it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

HopperUK posted:

My favourite little moment with him is when they're stranded without real hope of rescue on an island. Vorenus starts angrily carving a message to his wife Niobe and Pullo asks if he can add a message for his own girlfriend. Vorenus, crossly, "If there's space."
I love the fact that in that scene they think they may be dead but Pullo still loots a better looking belt from a corpse because why not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm re-watching HBO Rome and oh boy, if you binge watch it Lucius Vorenus changes more roles in a day than a pantomime actor. Over 13 episodes (12 in season 1 and one in season 2) he becomes:
- A centurion
- A merchant
- A prefect
- An enforcer
- A butcher
- A magistrate
- A senator (!)
- A crime boss (!!!)
It's a pity cause I liked the "average Joe" slice of life scenes he and Pullo are in at the beginning, but things start getting out of hand quick.

Thing is a lot about ancient Roman society makes sense when you realise so many of its social conventions live on in what we call the Mafia.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is a lot about ancient Roman society makes sense when you realise so many of its social conventions live on in what we call the Mafia.
Yeah, all the part about the morning levy, Vorenus's clients as soon as he has a bit of coin and especially the Captaincy part is basically The Godfather: Rome.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
In the new Suicide Squad I appreciate that the CGI birds represent actual species that exist in reality (its weirdly common in media to just make up fake birds, fish, bugs, etc for some reason) but Western Tanagers don't live on tropical islands nor are they carnivorous scavengers and I'm livid. Also lorikeets are endemic to australia, you idiots, you absolute buffoons. And don't get me started on the Eurasion Eagle Owl in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. lmao cmon, immersion ruined

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And the giant starfish full of baby starfish that eats people was the wrong color.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Taeke posted:

Same way when I was like 8 I thought the Bermuda triangle was a huge thing that would affect my entire life.
This, but quicksand.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why exactly is Morpheus tagging along with Neo on his way to the Source? He has nothing to do and somehow does less than nothing.
Guy probably wanted a break from listening to the crew bitch about the food for the 800th time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The newest escape room movie isn't half bad. Way better than the first one, anyway. My only big irritation is there's an acid trap, that melts plastic and metal like crazy, but barely blisters skin. Acids don't work that way.

Other than that though, surprisingly decent film considering how loving bad the first one was.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Acids definitely melt metal better than skin although anything corrosive enough to melt metal while you’re watching is also corrosive enough to gently caress up skin pretty good so it’s kind of an academic distinction.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I mean I can buy laser traps that burn people and cut through anything in seconds, cause at least that, while not plausible, does at least seem to be science fictiony enough to fit into a movie where physics barely exists.

That, though, just seemed a lil too weird to me.

Fits the thread though.

I'm kinda irrationally irritated don't breathe 2 exists where it makes the blind rapey guy the "hero" (protagonist at least) of the story, but then again I watched all the nightmare on elm street movies, which starred a burn victim pedophile terrorizing children in their dreams, so it's not like Hollywood hasn't done the bad guy as the movie's lead before.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shang Chi spoilers
Shang Chi's aunt has tailor made costumes for him and his sister despite living in a secret forbidden village she has never left. She has also never met them as adults or as kids and knowing they even exist is debatable(I guess the mom could have gone back to visit once in a while)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Biplane posted:

Rome is so good but the second season suffers so much for having three extra seasons of plot shoved into it.

Before the apocalpse hit, I got to visit Shanghai. While waiting to head out, I had an hour to flick through the hotel tv channels and they were showing Rome - the episode where Caesar meets Cleopatra. But because it was in China, they edited out all the violence and sex. The episode was about twenty minutes long.

That is my story of the one time I watched Rome. Thank you for your time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Before the apocalpse hit, I got to visit Shanghai. While waiting to head out, I had an hour to flick through the hotel tv channels and they were showing Rome - the episode where Caesar meets Cleopatra. But because it was in China, they edited out all the violence and sex. The episode was about twenty minutes long.

Same energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Away all Goats posted:

Shang Chi spoilers
Shang Chi's aunt has tailor made costumes for him and his sister despite living in a secret forbidden village she has never left. She has also never met them as adults or as kids and knowing they even exist is debatable(I guess the mom could have gone back to visit once in a while)

I'm willing to handwave quite a bit for mystical villages in another dimension.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

IshmaelZarkov posted:

About fifteen years ago TBS in the US decided to show edited episodes of Sex and the City because the show had become so popular on HBO. This meant some episodes were cut from about thirty minutes down to around twenty due to the content. In fact, there was an episode where one of the characters get addicted to a vibrator and she’s completely edited out of the TBS version.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I caught Pulp Fiction on tv in Bangkok once, and not only do they cut out every reference to smoking and the entire scene where Vince shoots up, after the scene where Vince and Mia are at the restaurant, it cuts straight to them in the car driving back from dealing with the overdose at the dealer's house.

Just two people heading home from a nice night oh wait why does she look like a recently deceased person?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

About fifteen years ago TBS in the US decided to show edited episodes of Sex and the City because the show had become so popular on HBO. This meant some episodes were cut from about thirty minutes down to around twenty due to the content. In fact, there was an episode where one of the characters get addicted to a vibrator and she’s completely edited out of the TBS version.

So just "And the City" then.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I can remember Family Guy fans complaining when Sky first started showing it in the UK because they were just cutting all the offensive jokes so they could show it straight after the Simpsons on an afternoon, which was honestly pretty funny given that the show's audience is only watching it for the offensive jokes :v:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Probably posted before but there is no movie in existance where tracing a criminal's phone call ever works. Even if they somehow trace something it is a payphone with mocking message or a trap.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

nonathlon posted:

That is a great scene when the Navigator's tank is hauled in and his spokesperson barks into a microphone, his lip movements not matching the words that are heard. There's lots of goofy things in Lynch's Dune, but that's a nice alien setpiece - this is not our world.

Not to spoil as it's one of those 'once heard, never unhearable' things but he sounds spot-on like Beavis at one point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Not to spoil as it's one of those 'once heard, never unhearable' things but he sounds spot-on like Beavis at one point.

"Many machines on Ix. Heh... Heh."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
And the Navigator's head is shaped like a butt. :aaa:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sekenr posted:

Probably posted before but there is no movie in existance where tracing a criminal's phone call ever works. Even if they somehow trace something it is a payphone with mocking message or a trap.

Except those times when the call is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sekenr posted:

Pretty sure the Big Hit had a scene in which there's a trace on some kidnappers, who employ a trace buster, but the guys on the other end (also bad guys I think?) employ a trace buster, but then the kidnappers are using a trace buster-buster, but aw dang there's a trace buster-buster-buster in the mix so it works.

Literally the only thing I remember from the movie.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sekenr posted:

Seems like the sort of thing you have to put in a movie otherwise people are online posting "Why didn't they just trace the call?"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm kinda irrationally irritated don't breathe 2 exists where it makes the blind rapey guy the "hero" (protagonist at least) of the story, but then again I watched all the nightmare on elm street movies, which starred a burn victim pedophile terrorizing children in their dreams, so it's not like Hollywood hasn't done the bad guy as the movie's lead before.

Was Freddy a pedophile in the main series? I thought that was an addition in the remake/boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svr6Zl2QgX8&hd=1 :colbert:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He’s definitely the bastard son of a thousand maniacs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pilchenstein posted:

I can remember Family Guy fans complaining when Sky first started showing it in the UK because they were just cutting all the offensive jokes so they could show it straight after the Simpsons on an afternoon, which was honestly pretty funny given that the show's audience is only watching it for the offensive jokes :v:

There's a scene in a Simpsons episode where they go to Itchy and Scratchy Land and, after things go haywire, Bart smashes a window and grabs a bunch of cameras so the family can use the flashes to kill the robots.

Then he turns and smashes a second window and steals some poo poo from it.

Up until last year when someone posted a gif of it in the Simpsons meme thread, I had no idea that second part even existed. It was not only never broadcast in Australia, even our version of the DVDs had it removed.

EDIT:

should state right at the moment in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8S6EkE68A&t=142s

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Sep 8, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

rydiafan posted:

Was Freddy a pedophile in the main series? I thought that was an addition in the remake/boot.

I think the original script had him molesting kids but I guess there had been a string of child molestations around that time and they thought it was in poor taste so they changed it so he was "just" murdering them. The godawful remake had him be explicitly a chomo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a scene in a Simpsons episode where they go to Itchy and Scratchy Land and, after things go haywire, Bart smashes a window and grabs a bunch of cameras so the family can use the flashes to kill the robots.

Then he turns and smashes a second window and steals some poo poo from it.

Up until last year when someone posted a gif of it in the Simpsons meme thread, I had no idea that second part even existed. It was not only never broadcast in Australia, even our version of the DVDs had it removed.

EDIT:

should state right at the moment in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8S6EkE68A&t=142s

A lot of that is using syndication versions of the show, and for the Simpsons there are more than a few. A good example recently has been the Lowmer meme, which came from a cut away joke that was apparently cut out of certain American TV versions for time, so some people didn’t know where it was from at first.