Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Like you could definitely not make him black, but it doesn't really matter, so why not. It has absolutely no bearing on anything. The show has virtually no cultural context.

Back to the MCU, I think the takeaway regarding adaptations is, they stayed true the core of the characters, or at least the most popular versions of them. So you don't get weird stuff like a Deadpool who doesn't talk, or a Superman who seems to hate life itself. They promise you a character, you get that character.

The biggest complaints they get seem to be when people think they're doing a certain story from the comics, but then it turns out to be something else. But comic stories are so wide ranging and impossible to follow anyway that it's pretty easy to get away with that.

Of course, there are a few exceptions to the above, and they tend to be the most enduring complaints. One of those being The Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Personally I loved it, since I didn't care about that character and it seemed like it would've been a bad idea in a modern movie. But people thought it would be a certain character and then it wasn't.

The other one would be The Ancient One from Dr. Strange, and for similar reasons. That more or less blew over, possibly because the movie itself didn't really stick with people anyway, but it's still a sore point when it comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I liked the iron man 3 take on the mandarin-and it’s kind of meta commentary on the Gandhi movie. I haven’t seen Shang chi yet, but I have to wonder if Ben Kingsley pops up after that short where the real mandarin kidnaps him because was unhappy that he used his name.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

I liked the iron man 3 take on the mandarin-and it’s kind of meta commentary on the Gandhi movie. I haven’t seen Shang chi yet, but I have to wonder if Ben Kingsley pops up after that short where the real mandarin kidnaps him because was unhappy that he used his name.

Apparently they do follow up on that plotline but Ben Kingsley isn’t involved.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arivia posted:

Apparently they do follow up on that plotline but Ben Kingsley isn’t involved.

He absolutely is

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Martman posted:

wait Hydra is (((them))) too??

IDK if you don't know how the parens work in right wing circles, but no, Hydra's not Jewish; they're Nazis.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He absolutely is

Oh sweet, very happy to be wrong!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Apparently in the original run of Shang Chi Fu Manchu organisation gets weaker as the story progresses because he keeps losing to his son so all his henchmen start jumping ship.

Which a pretty clever idea for a C-tier comic.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Probably should have just gone with a bunch of vaguely and variously mixed ethnicities for all involved in Bebop. It's the future where poo poo will be more mixed up and aside from Faye they're all from space. And she's from Singapore or something iirc? Which is even in the present day when she would canonically be from is an ethnically diverse place. But also didn't she claim to be Roma? Though I guess that was before she knew anything about her past and was just making poo poo up to escape.

Anyway it looks like they did a perfectly fine job, considering. If it sucks it won't be because of the casting, it'll be like a thousand other reasons.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Sep 7, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Arivia posted:

Oh sweet, very happy to be wrong!

The context means you should spoiler this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Torquemada posted:

The context means you should spoiler this.

ben kingsley appears in the new marvel movie

compared to "HAN SOLO DIES" as the fyad title i think this is pretty okay

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Arivia posted:

ben kingsley appears in the new marvel movie

compared to "HAN SOLO DIES" as the fyad title i think this is pretty okay

FYAD spoiled (that aspect of) The Force Awakens for me with that title, and I was kinda mad. At least they didn't say how he died.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PurpleButterfly posted:

FYAD spoiled (that aspect of) The Force Awakens for me with that title, and I was kinda mad. At least they didn't say how he died.

Chewbacca rampage?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleButterfly posted:

they did to me too and it meant the dramatic tension was even higher when that scene started, so it worked okay

spoiler culture is WAY overrated

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The fact that spoiler culture also thinks they have a right to be unspoiled by retellings of REAL/HISTORICAL events is going to make the 9/11 movie wild.

Also I'm spoiling myself and reading the marvel movie wiki, and I hate how they did the thing where EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just saw the film today, so i couldn’t give a poo poo. The guy replying used tags, indicating that it was information he thought required spoilers. Seems like a reasonable ask.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

PhazonLink posted:

Also I'm spoiling myself and reading the marvel movie wiki, and I hate how they did the thing where EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED.

How are you not used to this by now, it happens in everything.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Spoilers" as a concept were invented by the studios to keep word of mouth about dumb plot twists from rapidly spreading and depressing opening weekend turnout.

Debase yourself and face to bloodshed

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What I hate is when movies try to have a twist, that is clearly not a twist, specifically the what villain is this famous actor playing? Surprise it’s the obvious one, but we tried to obfuscate it for no good reason.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

PurpleButterfly posted:

They crash the Millenium Falcon in the PNW, Han is killed by the indigenous population, and Chewie becomes the basis for the Sasquatch myth. To make matters worth, the Falcon is later discovered by Indiana Jones, who quips about things feeling "familiar". It was all covered in the comic Into the Great Unknown, so you can't blame FYAD for something that came out in 2004.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hardliners on either side of the spoiler wars kind of annoy me tbh.

Some people care, some people don't. IMO

-Be careful about spoiling stuff if they came out recently

-Don't freak out if people are casually discussing "spoilers" two years later, you had your window

-But if someone specifically mentions that they're watching/playing for the first time, maybe play it safe for a bit.

-Historical events don't need spoilers.

I get that there's evidence or whatever that people don't tend to enjoy things less if they know what's coming but not everyone likes to experience it that way and you only get the unspoiled experience once so don't be a jerk and ruin it for people, but also none of these things are ultimately important so if someone accidentally spoils you then that sucks but you'll live

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the single study people point to as 'people don't Actually care about spoilers and actually like things more if they're spoiled on it first' has been pretty thoroughly debunked, fwiw

its main problem was that the works it used were things people were entirely unfamiliar with before the study, whereas things people get frustrated on getting spoiled about are things that they have been anticipating experiencing. if you don't have that anticipation, there's nothing to get short circuited there and nothing to feel let down about

now it does get a little silly in the current landscape of access to media where people might genuinely be anticipating watching the next episode of a show you personally watched 20 years ago, or a movie you've seen a dozen times but they just had heard about from a friend as a thing they should watch the weekend before -- you don't even consider someone might be in that situation, or you think they Must Have watched it by now if they truly cared about not being spoiled

to me though it always boils down to 'it doesn't take any effort at all to tag a spoiler or make it clear what I'm about to talk about before doing so, so I should make that effort on the off chance that it ended up being worth it.'

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
People literally complain that scenes in the actual movie they are watching are spoilers e.g. the spaceship scenes at the very beginning of Predator or The Thing. Its gotten pretty loving absurd lately.

Honestly its a bit exhausting trying to read a general thread about movies/games where 3/4 of every page is blacked out and its impossible to tell if its an actual spoiler discussion or just some nonsense that doesn't matter. I get wanting to make sure that major plot points, reveals and actual twists don't get spoiled but there's got to be a middle ground that doesn't have people raging that casting choices for upcoming films destroyed their enjoyment of the film they're watching now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

People literally complain that scenes in the actual movie they are watching are spoilers e.g. the spaceship scenes at the very beginning of Predator or The Thing.

I mean, those scenes are loving stupid and ruin the surprise of what's going on in the story, so people are right to complain about them. It's like how I always told people to mute the opening credits to Dark City.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the thing is perfect

the viewer knowing something the characters don't is what they call "dramatic irony," not a spoiler

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

I mean, those scenes are loving stupid and ruin the surprise of what's going on in the story, so people are right to complain about them. It's like how I always told people to mute the opening credits to Dark City.

I just had to tell someone to do that the other night. The studio was so stupid to mandate that narration.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

rydiafan posted:

same but the opening lines of Romeo and Juliet they just tell you the plot right there

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

800peepee51doodoo posted:

People literally complain that scenes in the actual movie they are watching are spoilers e.g. the spaceship scenes at the very beginning of Predator or The Thing. Its gotten pretty loving absurd lately.

Honestly its a bit exhausting trying to read a general thread about movies/games where 3/4 of every page is blacked out and its impossible to tell if its an actual spoiler discussion or just some nonsense that doesn't matter. I get wanting to make sure that major plot points, reveals and actual twists don't get spoiled but there's got to be a middle ground that doesn't have people raging that casting choices for upcoming films destroyed their enjoyment of the film they're watching now.

That's fair. I personally just don't want to see Shang-Chi spoiled in a random thread while I wait for it to be released out of theaters.

This thread isn't bad about spoilers but it stinks reading a comic tv show thread and seeing on set pics or surprise casting info about upcoming superhero movie because people think it needs to go into any thread slightly related to the topic.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My favorite Spoiler Outrage moment ever was when (on another forum years ago) someone completely freaked out because someone else mentioned that Game of Thrones, notably based on a fantasy book series, was likely to have magic in it.

I'm generally all for erring on the side of caution and not going out of your way to be an rear end in a top hat in either direction. Also spoiler tags are fun and I defy anyone to tell me they aren't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve seen people complain about talking about the trailer it’s crazy how dumb people have got

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve seen people complain about talking about the trailer it’s crazy how dumb people have got

I once had a coworker get fuming mad at me for spoiling the following:

Citizen Kane, when I said "it was his sled."
The 2014 Godzilla, by mentioning that something was displayed on the posters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Marvel’s even put some straight up misdirects in trailers (I remember some Hulk stuff in the IW trailer that wasn’t in the movie) so people going nuts like that is even dumber.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

Trailers are, or at least were, typically made by a third party and tbf there's a long history of trailers revealing things that the movie itself seems to suggest should have been a big twist.

Although I think studios are more careful about that these days and Disney especially has done a good job playing with that like Thor's eye in the Ragnarok trailer. Naughty Dog did something similar with the Last of Us Part 2, which I thought was neat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ambitious Spider posted:

What I hate is when movies try to have a twist, that is clearly not a twist, specifically the what villain is this famous actor playing? Surprise it’s the obvious one, but we tried to obfuscate it for no good reason.

Star Trek Into Darkness is bad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Asterite34 posted:

"Spoilers" as a concept were invented by the studios to keep word of mouth about dumb plot twists from rapidly spreading and depressing opening weekend turnout.

Debase yourself and face to bloodshed

It's the same for leaks. The industry somehow convinceda huge number of fans that watching leaks is somehow "disrespectful".

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

marshmallow creep posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness is bad.

Is that even still considered a twist? Last night I noticed the itunes plot description mentions him as Khan.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I think suspense and surprise can be an important part of the experience. :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spacebump posted:

Is that even still considered a twist? Last night I noticed the itunes plot description mentions him as Khan.

In the lead up they actively tried their best to deny it was Khan. I believe they straight up said it wasn’t going to be him

Though at this point there is no point in keeping it going

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

rydiafan posted:

The Thing is still plenty full of surprises. Who has been turned? When? Will the protagonist(s) survive? How? These are all plenty of tension, and are amplified from knowing that there's alien shenanigans from the get-go, because you immediately know that there are things the characters are missing.

---

I watched True Lies and Jingle All The Way recently, and I'm genuinely curious what kind of movie they thought they were making, and for who. True Lies in particular makes a lot more sense if you read the protagonist as a deranged villain telling their own unreliable narrator story, like Joker or something. I'd be interested in a remake from Jamie Lee Curtis's character's perspective, adding in a third act of how she finally escapes this abusive monster of a husband.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

CharlestheHammer posted:

christmas boots posted:

Trailers are, or at least were, typically made by a third party and tbf there's a long history of trailers revealing things that the movie itself seems to suggest should have been a big twist.

Although I think studios are more careful about that these days and Disney especially has done a good job playing with that like Thor's eye in the Ragnarok trailer. Naughty Dog did something similar with the Last of Us Part 2, which I thought was neat.

It's this. Some studios are better about it now, but it's still easy to find examples of trailers giving away things that were supposed to be surprises in the movie (Batman vs Superman was a bad movie for lots of reasons, but the trailer giving away the real plot sure didn't help) and it's not unusual for people who are really looking forwards to something to avoid them for that reason. I've had conscientious friends even go so far as to ask me if I'm okay with them discussing the trailer for a movie just because they're aware of the phenomenon and respectful of other people's media consumption. That said, when I'm that kind of invested in something I avoid all online discussion of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Every movie I’ve been excited to see recently has been spoiled by google news headlines. I don’t care about many movies though, so not sure how common that actually is.