Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
[quote="LobsterboyX" post="516707796"]
cruise night:

Heh, something about the shadow from the visor and the windshield partly open makes me think of bifocals. Helps the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

Well, I passed on both of those machines, and the owner of them is now a client of mine so, I guess things are good.

so the indoctrination of my son is really paying off well - cars are "vroom vrooms" and doing this is one of his favorite things:

obviously I didn't drive him to the show, mommy drove him and grandpa (pop) meets us there, as he is a huge gear head himself. I also take him around the neighborhood like this and now he's waving at everyone from the car - I'm worried I'm going to get posted on nextdoor soon.

I'd bet that a large part of him enjoying cars is that *you* enjoy cars, and he wants to hang out and do stuff with dad. I know I did, and still do, with my dad. He definitely got me interested in a lot of the things I'm interested in, just from exposure.
This is not a bad thing.

quote:

when we're not driving around, we're playing with cool stuff like this:

I'm loving obsessed with this hot wheel - The local independent auto parts store owner is a loving genius - he has a little hotwheels display on the counter and all the dads and grandpas HAVE to buy one for their kids. got me, hook line and sinker

I'm not a huge fan of the modern hot wheels line - most of the cars that aren't based on real cars are dumb and plasticy however this one has an interesting story

It's called the Mattel Dream Car - this car is a tribute to one of first car toys they ever created in 1954

obviously a bit bigger than a hot wheel but now I'm on the hunt for one - this particular one is on ebay just south of $500 which is a bit cheeky, but I think they can be had for 100-200 bucks without the box

the design of it is most likely borrowd from the Barris creation "Golden Sahara"

read about this amazing vehicle here:

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/The_Golden_Sahara

Some day I want to make a trip to Chicago to see this thing.

other toy stuff, I got suckered in to buying this overpriced cool wooden car:

its drat cool and is very satisfying to hold and it rolls on really nice rubber tires..

I love Candylab's slammed Continental. I've got one of their musclecars.
I'm sure you know, but they've got rods, too:
https://www.candylabtoys.com/collections/americana

Also, check out this toymaker in the UK:
https://playforever.co.uk/
I'm in love with their "Leadbelly":

but more in line with your rides, they also have vintage indycars and roadrace cars.

And the Mattel Dream Car is indeed the poo poo. I've got a later edition of the Hot Wheel, but I'm still looking for the 2020 "New Models" version of it.
BTW, Matchbox makes a very nice trad '33 Ford Coupe. They also have it in a "rat" version, more modern versions with exposed engine, and there's also a nice traditional '35 Ford pickup.

quote:

speaking of fun... look what happened at cruise night

the old David Mann painting:

cruise night:

OK, that right there is the kind of thing that just makes me content with the world for a bit.
I once managed to get behind a second-generation RX-7 on the highway, and he was behind a third-gen, while I was in my first-gen. If only the second gen had been red like the FD and mine, it would have been perfect. Still had me smiling all day.

quote:

I found this old phone

Neat old phone!
My wife's paternal grandfather worked for Ma Bell here in Dallas for, well, ever. Retired from there. Because of that, my mother in law has an actual candlestick phone, and my late father in law wired it to an adapter that lets it plug into a standard jack, and the stupid thing works! No dial - this is literally the type where you pick it up and jiggle the hang-up lever to get the operator's attention - but it will *take* calls!
If that' not legacy compatibility, I don't know what is.
We also have a candlestick that's been converted to a lamp. My father in law just put a lamp stem coming out of the top of the microphone housing, and then wired the cord and lamp to the receiver hook contacts in the base. You take the earpiece off of the hook and the lamp lights. It's worked fine for umpteen years with incandescents, but I put an LED in to maybe put a little less current through those contact, though realistically, they are plenty beefy. Everything was overbuilt then.

quote:

I also had to get this keychain back in to rotation.. RIP.

I still have mine. I stopped using it back in the day because it made getting my keys out of my pocket a giant pain in the rear end. It's like a fishhook...
But I still dig it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The phone is cool.

My partners grandmother worked as a switchboard operator back in the day. Like when they had to physically plug cords to connect 2 lines

She's got her plug pin that they gave them all.

I'll see if I can dig it out later on.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Oh I have a whole slew of cool car toys in the 'zon cart - the playforever stuff is great too, he already has the one called "Clive" which is a vintage indy style racer with cool off-white colored tires.

Thumposaurus posted:

The phone is cool.

My partners grandmother worked as a switchboard operator back in the day. Like when they had to physically plug cords to connect 2 lines

She's got her plug pin that they gave them all.

I'll see if I can dig it out later on.

Love that kind of stuff, I had a chance to buy an old switchboard once, I thought it was just so drat cool, but for the life of me I couldnt figure out a use for it.. go figure...

speaking of buying... I went to an estate sale this weekend and got this cool old bowling ball tackle box

it was filled with a bunch of hardware and some cool tools I kept, but the stars of the show were these awesome 1939 patent screwdrivers with fine adjust handles..

I didn't even see them in there when I bought the thing, but it was quite a surprise - as soon as I found them i went out and adjusted my carbs.

Today I had to drive my 48 to the location for pickup, both of my cars are working for 2 days this week, and the wagon had 2 days from last week... soooooo I'm pretty happy about that.

this is the first time I've seen my cars together while NOT at my house. Im biased as poo poo, but I love these drat cars.

Started poking around the place and found... this... before you say anything... I didn't park it this way...

so.. Achievement unlocked... I actually got to drive this thing, and a few things come to mind. This really is "dont meet your heros" material - it drives like rear end, looks way faster than it is, stops terribly, is totally uncomfy, nothing worked - its a crumby car... but... its a loving delorean, and its the coolest thing ever.

I'm absolutely in awe of it, and despite it being really an inherently lovely car, I still want one very badly, and this particular one was actually in very good condition compared to to other ones I've seen.

In a few minutes of speaking to... the people in charge of it.... I learned that this particular car may be for sale in the next few years. which really makes me really uncomfortable, because it means I have to figure out how to find the money for this, and possibly downsize the fleet.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

We’re very lucky to live in a world where a car collection that’s a bunch of old American cars and one Delorean actually makes perfect sense.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very cool! But alas the best time to buy a Delorean was years ago prices are going up up. It is really awesome your cool cars get “work” and you get these awesome experiences. I need to enjoy my fleet more

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I really like your old phone. I bet you could get a second phone and turn them into an intercom system, although it might be a bit of a project. There's a few simple methods to do so on hackaday and Make but they tend to focus on pulse dial rotary or newer phones so I'm not sure if there'd be some conversion required to make an older phone work. I just don't know that much about them, the oldest phones I have around here are 50's and 60's rotary pulse dial types. Also, it seems like the ringer isn't going to work without a lot more tinkering than the basic 9V or 12V circuits they create to just get the mic and speaker working. One of the comments in the make video had a guy just add in his own separate piezo buzzer and LED over extra wire pairs for it (he ran cat5 between the phones to handle it) which is less authentic but also a lot less work.

Another idea could be that if the speaker still works, have it play back a recording of something when you pick up the receiver. This might get more invasive to the original circuitry in the phone than making an intercom, though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Old phone stuff is fascinating.
This guy fell down a big rabbit hole with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrO2KklR4xA

He's got some other videos with a larger system he's getting working and wiring synthesizers into it to make it an instrument.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

speaking of buying... I went to an estate sale this weekend and got this cool old bowling ball tackle box

Holy poo poo, this is identical to my dad’s childhood tackle box that we still own, except for the latch.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

it was filled with a bunch of hardware and some cool tools I kept, but the stars of the show were these awesome 1939 patent screwdrivers with fine adjust handles..

Awesome tackle box.
Are those aluminum handles on those screwdrivers? I've never seen the design with the bars for fine adjusting. That's a great idea, that I guess isn't really needed any more.

Delorean: well, yeah, they're kinda not the best design ever, and really compromised performance-wise with the lackluster PRV V6. Also, suspension arms in single shear :ohdear:
They *can* be pretty neat, but best approached as a typical '80s car. To be fair, even exotics from that period aren't fantastically impressive compared to modern stuff, though at least some handle quite well.
To my mind, the best Delorean would be lowered (they were raised for the US from the factory to meet headlight-height standards!) good modern tires, some upgraded suspension hardware (to help address the single-shear thing), maybe a set of wheels (I swear someone makes wheels that look like the OEM stuff, but in a bit larger sizes. Not *too* large, just like plus 1 or 2. Definitely something that looks OEM, though - those wheels are the poo poo on that car) and a better powerplant. An LS3, for example, or maybe a 3800SC to stay closer to period. Someone built one with a 20B, but I'm not sure which is more valuable in that case - the car or the engine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That company in Texas that bought the name and spare parts still plans to do production of new DMC-12s under the low volume replica rules.

https://www.newdelorean.com/blog/

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've been really busy lately and havent had much car time

Still doing friday night cruises, stopped by this icon:

sadly the building is for sale and most likely will be lost.

we went to one of the coolest toy shows ever, this year kinda weird with covid but still managed to score some cool cast aluminum poo poo

speaking of aluminum - got this rarity too - this is very special and its being sent to me from texas

more on it when it gets here

I broke back in to the vintage razor world - my daily has been a modern Merkur slant, but I decided to start using these old ones again.

the mighty 1958 Fatboy

two really nice aristocrats:

I got all these cleaned and sanitized up and have been happily using them

got another alternator installed in my wagon

this means my entire fleet has been de-generatored with the exception of my 42 which is not running yet.

not for lack of trying tho...

I had its starter rebuilt

AND I found it a visor!!!

These were aftermarket accessories that are just the coolest thing to me - i know a lot of folks dont like thtem but I do - back when, I used to buy and sell these things, they usually traded for around 3-400 bucks and nice NOS ones maybe 500... that was the early 00s, fast forward to today, having not had any need for one since then, I was shocked to find the prices started on these at about 600 bucks. back then this particular visor would have been around 200 bucks - I got this as a just listed buy it now on ebay for 300 - guess deals can still be had!

I'm still grinding with my funny stickers..

I'm really happy to say that this has become a super passive, super small income for me, and its about enough for a lunch or dinner for two, per week, which is all I could ever ask forI've got more on the way and it really makes me happy that people like them.

My buddy recently bought this coupe and we've been going over to help him out with it, he has a daughter a few months younger than my son and the moms gab and dip their feet in the pool while the dads wrench on these rods. super suburban dad life activate, we need some new balances.

im being very gentle with my hot rod, I really dont want to break it before the race at the end of the month. so these little ginger drives are about all its getting

the wagon needs some dialing in but still made it to a car show this weekend.

as far as kid content is concerned - Watching this kid grow up is really amazing to me, I grew up in extremely interesting surroundings as he is. I dont have any photos I want to share of it, but for the past month I put him to sleep every night by the glow of a jukebox and some soothing music on 78 records. Its something I will treasure forever that I can share that with him.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 7, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Did Mrs. LBX take that last shot? Amazing, adorable, timeless.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

My buddy recently bought this coupe and we've been going over to help him out with it, he has a daughter a few months younger than my son and the moms gab and dip their feet in the pool while the dads wrench on these rods. super suburban dad life activate, we need some new balances.

This reminds me that a Model A puttered down my street while I was working outside on the RX-7, and that just made my day. Clearly driven often, which made me happy. Looked pretty much stock and original.

quote:

as far as kid content is concerned - Watching this kid grow up is really amazing to me, I grew up in extremely interesting surroundings as he is. I dont have any photos I want to share of it, but for the past month I put him to sleep every night by the glow of a jukebox and some soothing music on 78 records. Its something I will treasure forever that I can share that with him.

That's a great picture!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Did Mrs. LBX take that last shot? Amazing, adorable, timeless.

she sure did, its a big part of our day to go drive the cars!

he's really good at identifying them too, we watch videos about vroom vrooms every day, and sometimes he even sees my cars and screams DADA VROOM VROOM!

I wish mommy's jeep wasn't in this shot, but hey, it is pretty great.

Darchangel posted:

This reminds me that a Model A puttered down my street while I was working outside on the RX-7, and that just made my day. Clearly driven often, which made me happy. Looked pretty much stock and original.

The model A platform is super cool in that respect, its about the earliest mass produced car that exists that still is functional today - the people that enjoy them as putt putts are great too! there's a guy who drives one daily near me, completely stock - we occasionally text back and forth asking about parts/ect - he's a 70 something year old man who very obviously is very vested in his car.

in other news

my 48 is undrivable as of today. ugh. more on this later.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

The model A platform is super cool in that respect, its about the earliest mass produced car that exists that still is functional today - the people that enjoy them as putt putts are great too! there's a guy who drives one daily near me, completely stock - we occasionally text back and forth asking about parts/ect - he's a 70 something year old man who very obviously is very vested in his car.

Some time ago, in the Before Times, I spotted a Model T at Home Depot. It had been upgraded with turn signals and comically over-specced Wilwood disc brakes (only on the rear!) but was otherwise stock. It was a later model that already had electric start. The gentleman and his wife’s came out as me and my friend were looking it over and talked about it a bit. They just… drive it on errands when it isn’t too hot, too cold, or raining. It was clearly a driver, with rock chips, dirt, and bugs on the bumpers, which was awesome.
It was so quiet when he fired it up and puttered away.

quote:

in other news

my 48 is undrivable as of today. ugh. more on this later.

Oh, heck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

Some time ago, in the Before Times, I spotted a Model T at Home Depot. It had been upgraded with turn signals and comically over-specced Wilwood disc brakes (only on the rear!) but was otherwise stock. It was a later model that already had electric start. The gentleman and his wife’s came out as me and my friend were looking it over and talked about it a bit. They just… drive it on errands when it isn’t too hot, too cold, or raining. It was clearly a driver, with rock chips, dirt, and bugs on the bumpers, which was awesome.
It was so quiet when he fired it up and puttered away.

There's a Model T that's used as a weekend driver around here, about 50% chance to see it at Home Depot if you go Saturday morning around 9am. Last time he was strapping a new toilet to the rear and had the passenger seat full of stuff.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

There's a Model T that's used as a weekend driver around here, about 50% chance to see it at Home Depot if you go Saturday morning around 9am. Last time he was strapping a new toilet to the rear and had the passenger seat full of stuff.

they pretty much work as intended. I often would prefer to use my old wagon as a hauler than my modern (lol) SUV - wagon has more interior room and I dont really care if I muss it up - also roof rack adds quite a bit of room for sheet goods and other stuff:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

speaking of aluminum - got this rarity too - this is very special and its being sent to me from texas

more on it when it gets here

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Your Douglas connection come through again?

LobsterboyX posted:

…also roof rack adds quite a bit of room for sheet goods and other stuff:

“Other Stuff.”

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, my big aluminum airplane is taking its time to get here from texas, but this was a organic find, it was a car friend of mine on texas with a beautiful 51 mercury who posted it up for sale, my douglas connect was pretty floored by it that I scored it for that cheap.

anyway - onward:

I'll condense the 48 saga: I used this car in my wedding, before the wedding I decided to do something I never do, trust a shop to diagnose and correct issues with said car. they "rebuilt" the front end, fixed up the brakes and a few other things to the tune of several thousand dollars. I was pretty stressed out at the time, I was getting married, but I wanted to correct the issues it had and I figured they would do it, I got the car back and it was doing the same thing it was before, shimmy on the freeway at higher speeds. So I took it back to them to diagnose and they proceeded to give me another alignment that cured nothing, and aggravated me even more when I asked if they set the camber of the wheels, to which the guy said "I dont think you can do it on this car" - I didn't have the energy to correct it, and longer journeys with the car were always a bit troublesome because anything above 60 would result in a death wobble type shimmy, but otherwise the car drove perfectly.

so fast forward to now, I decided it was finally time to remedy the problem so I could get the car up on the highway and open it up a bit. Took it to a new guy that came recommend to me via some buick guys on a few fb groups - the diagnosis was bad kingpins and wheel bearings. I was loving livid having spent that money 4 years ago, barely driving the car and then realizing that there was nothing I could do about getting a shop to make right on a 4 year old issue. Anyway - gently caress that place. So I got the car home and got dirty myself to see if I could really find the issue.

Turns out the kingpins are fine, maybe slighly worn, but I've driven much worse. but the wheel bearings were so loose that it was downright dangerous, I'll take responsibility for not checking them myself after the work was preformed, but gently caress...

Anyway, I just got some new bearings in the mail today and I'm praying that they are the right ones and will fit, I realllllllly hate doing anything that involves removing the drums from an old car like this, but I'm just going to stuff it and handle it - I also got some new (used) tires for the 42 so I think I'll take the opportunity to do the bearings on the 48 and remove the wheels from the 42, get them blasted and coated, pull the drums and get those turned up ect... just a day of dirty lovely wheel work. I'm more apt to knock it all out without cleaning up twice.

Speaking of the 42..

I'm doing a preservation restoration on this car - just cleaning and painting some stuff as I go thru each component

decided the paint is good enough to leave on this distributor, but I still have to pull the arms and wire wheel those up. shockingly the vacuum advance is still working perfectly.

heres a cool little hop up part I had in the stash for a bit..

dual point breaker plate for buicks -

I'm going to run a pertronix, and the stock setup for these old prewar distributors are kinda funky, the breaker plate rides on spring guides and bakelite plastic inserts - think of old school UHMW

when I went to install the pertronix, the magnet ring was a bit of a loose fit, so I measured up my lobes and sure enough, seems to be in spec.. I sent this to pertronix and they are sending me out a new magnet ring that should resolve the issue. fingers crossed on that one.

but you can see the plastic inserts -

I want to get it going on this setup, then switch over to the dual point plate later on.

Roadster: Race day in about 2 weeks and I'm stressin, had a slow leak and of course thats an ordeal because of these wide 5 rims.

at least they're clean now

took the time to adjust on the brakes a bit..

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/bM8xzPGl.jpg)

I have to stress test this thing a bit this weekend - I've been having issues with my distributor, so hopefully I can get that remedied. time will tell

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Finding anyone that knows how to work on king-pin front suspension is a grail search. You probably know more than almost anyone you can find.

I have avoided pulling the front bearings on my Bonneville for years; the new ones sit on the bench, glowering at me. I'd prefer to do the races myself on a press, but lack the room to set-up a bench press anywhere. May send them to a shop, if I can find one that does them any more. Keep in mind that, once these are done, it's a job that'll be behind you 20-years+

Ida has severely slowed working on the Econoline; I wind up working in half-light at the end of the day and forget to take photos :/

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, work kicked up again and I have lost interest in the 48 for now - I got the wheel bearings, they look ok, but I'm kinda miffed because I ordered them from a reputable seller for double the cost of the kit from a less reputable seller. come to find out they're exactly the same as the cheaper ones and both of them are made in China. I hate wasting money. Whatever, I'll eat it.

in other news, we're going racing boys...

they require a "spring in spring" return spring, so I begrudgingly added this little junky bracket

been having a ton of trouble with my Land Cruiser factory hitch, even tho I swore I wouldn't last minute it this year... Here's me bitching about it from another thread:

LobsterboyX posted:

Do any of you use this dumb. loving. setup?

I've been complaining about this since I got my 100, my first 100 had a pretty nice under the bumper hitch, it was an 01, this one is an 05 and this thing is just too stupid. I had to cut a bit of the back off the hitch, then drill a new hole for the pin about an inch behind the original, oh fun heavy cutting with a grinder then drilling a 3/4" hole with a step bit on a 70 year old drill press - Oh did I mention that the hitch didn't fit in the receiver.. I had to grind off all the powder coat and two hand smash it in with a deadblow hammer. I finally got it in there, and whatever casting crust that was present inside the receiver got knocked off, greased it up and now it slips right in there. So basically an hour ordeal to get the hitch hooked up with a back yard modification that may or may not be safe? oh yeah, every time you put it in you have to lay on the ground and fish around the pin between the spare and bumper... and this uhaul hitch is probably going to be too high for the trailer I'm using this weekend, so I really just wasted time - I'm going to see if I can find a adjustable drop hitch locally, then I'm probably going to have to modify that to work in the same manner as this one.. but hey, at least I've had the practice and maybe I can do it a bit quicker this time.

I'm already way too invested in this to give up at this point, I should have just bought a draw-tite or kurt for this thing rather than struggling with this dumb setup - I mean, I get it, its a world vehicle and they wanted a way to please everyone with these stupid inserts, but this is far from practical - take it from me kids... buy the aftermarket.

and the update from just now:

LobsterboyX posted:

so.. $96 later I have a really nice 6" drop hitch that was customized my car - Called a buddy in the know and he turned me on to a trailer supply not too far from me. Now it seems to be in the perfect place, and I don't have to do anything too crazy to tow anything. So lesson is, for slightly less money than the aftermarket, and 4x the headache, you too can waste time like me!

and here's the plague doctor murder mobile cruising up there last year:

note that that poor trailer was tilted upward because the bottom of the hitch receiver is loving 21" off the ground. It was so low I didn't have to use the ramps to get the car on and off the trailer.

I was too pissed to even take a photo of the new hitch but...

I didn't get the murdered out trailer again this year, and honestly I'm happy about that, that thing was a giant, heavy steel beast that was just too big for the car I'm pulling, but it looked cool as gently caress, especially with the vintage hubcaps on it.

This one is a retired/refreshed pinske trailer, I gave it a shakedown on the highway before we leave tomorrow and the thing preforms very well.

I'm going to try and take some photos, but I probably will just wind up reposting others... lets hope the car makes it thru the weekend!

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 24, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Most of the big box hardware stores sell drop hitches in various heights which will help your trailer angle problem. I have a 6" and 12" for when I rent a truck to haul the trailer because modern trucks are so stupid tall. You'll get better mileage when the trailer is closer to flat and not trying to lift off the whole trip.

example: (https://www.homedepot.com/s/drop%2520hitch?NCNI-5)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Also, if you don’t have an option to park the car further back on the trailer, maybe back it on. Even though it probably weighs gently caress all, your loading a bit front/hitch heavy, and that can cause interesting tow vehicle dynamics. Trailers work best basically balanced, or just a little nose heavy, as I recall. Tail heavy gets you that lovely tank slapping maneuver. (I might have that reversed - please correct me if wrong!)
Though, given the probably weight disparity between the tow-ee and the tow-er, it may not be an issue, and you’re right at the sweet spot.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Also, if you don’t have an option to park the car further back on the trailer, maybe back it on. Even though it probably weighs gently caress all, your loading a bit front/hitch heavy, and that can cause interesting tow vehicle dynamics. Trailers work best basically balanced, or just a little nose heavy, as I recall. Tail heavy gets you that lovely tank slapping maneuver. (I might have that reversed - please correct me if wrong!)
Though, given the probably weight disparity between the tow-ee and the tow-er, it may not be an issue, and you’re right at the sweet spot.

You're correct. Weight farther forward, but don't overdo the tongue weight (which I also don't think will be a problem with this combo).

I've seen this gif on Imgur many times that demos the importance of weight balance really well.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
trip report: this setup towed like a loving dream, I forgot I even had it behind me at points, for those of you in the know about 100 series cruisers, the AHC did not struggle at all. The history of this trailer is a bit... foggy, its not mine, but it is an ex (big name rental company) trailer, in nearly new condition - I was under the impression that (big name rental company) never sell these to the public ... so because (big name trailer company) is a.... this thing was perfectly engineered - super long tongue, perfect balance, super easy hold downs, easy ramps, easy brakes, easy turning... it was just a great trailer.

pics of the race and the damage from the race coming soon... ugh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

trip report: this setup towed like a loving dream, I forgot I even had it behind me at points, for those of you in the know about 100 series cruisers, the AHC did not struggle at all. The history of this trailer is a bit... foggy, its not mine, but it is an ex (big name rental company) trailer, in nearly new condition - I was under the impression that (big name rental company) never sell these to the public ... so because (big name trailer company) is a.... this thing was perfectly engineered - super long tongue, perfect balance, super easy hold downs, easy ramps, easy brakes, easy turning... it was just a great trailer.
I know the (big name rental company) and yeah, they're actually really well designed, easy to use, overbuilt trailers.

quote:

Fffffff

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

sharkytm posted:

I know the (big name rental company) and yeah, they're actually really well designed, easy to use, overbuilt trailers.

The problem with these is that you have to load the car all the way forward to use the straps. So if you have a car with good weight distribution, it's fine. I towed my maserati biturbo with one, and it was perfect.
Taking my jetta home sucked, that is a rather front heavy car and my sequoia was not impressed. I just bought a diesel golf and towed it home on my trailer with no issues, since i can load it correctly for the proper weight distribution.

So sometimes the big orange trailers prevail, sometimes they kinda suck (and i don't like surge brakes, but that's a personal issue).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LobsterboyX posted:

Oh no :ohdear:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chrisgt posted:

So sometimes the big orange trailers prevail, sometimes they kinda suck (and i don't like surge brakes, but that's a personal issue).

Same, now that I own a trailer with electric trailer brakes, I don't want to drive anything else ever again - but all the rentals are surge brake only.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Oh no... I got a sinking feeling reading that. I hope it's not too bad...

I never commented on it but I love this cat:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Alright! here we go:

so heres the hauling setup.

The race happens once a year in Santa Margarita - a small town about 10 minutes north of San Luis Obispo, its a younger event, and has only been going for about 5-6 years, which I've attended every one of them - the first year I did not bring my car, but since then it has been a tradition among our group since.

another tradition:

This shack is a "secret" shithouse, with an opening window that provides the most heavenly view from throne that I've ever experienced. I have more photos of my car parked here over the years.

we usually set up a camp thats pretty fun, this year, I convoyed with 3 other guys, including the 159 car. We typically drive up on a Friday, camp overnight, then race all day saturday, and shoot home after the races.

it was all set to be a good day

staging for my first pass:

I was up against a v8 so of course I lost, but it was the first run of the day, so its kinda a freeforall

half way down the track I noticed something was up, so I let off a bit...

I made my way down the return road

got back in line

the car in front of me is one of my best friends, we have a long rivalry...

here we are messing around in the wash (his other car)

another race:

and...

so against him, I left the line, pop - engine dead, turned off the track, car dead as a doornail - cranked it a few more times, kinda came to life, and limped it down the return road back to the pits.

distributor issues... the car would run fine until I'd get in to the upper rpm's then a loud backfire out of the pipe and nothing. pop the distributor cap off, rotate the rotor with the finger until it "clicked" in to place - then the process would repeat. I've had issues with this distributor for a longggggg time. its an aftermarket application with self advacing weights and a pertronix unit, pretty much the standard fare in pretty much every model a these days - for some reason it wont seat properly with my head and I guess the tolerances are ever so slightly off that causes it to "jump" time

My buddy had just closed a deal on the motherlode of speed parts that he was picking up from another racer, in that haul he happend to have an original Mallory dual point new in box from the 50s - to make a long story short... the majorty of my day was then spent like this:

so the new in box one from the 50s didnt work, what a shocker, so thankfully a new friend had this one as a known good spare in his "just in case" box

so obviously on loan, I just pulled it out of the car and I'm shipping it back to him tomorrow

so we got the new one in there, car ran loving amazing - it seems my old distributor had been holding me back in other ways too

lined up on this guy:

and gave it all I had - it was an elimination round and I lost by inches - I was pedal to the wood the whole way - put up a really good fight - on the return road I noticed a bit of a slip in the clutch - I had just given this car the beating of its life... but it lived. Rolled back to the pits, got it loaded on the trailer then we were off.

it was less than cool, but at least I got to make a few passes, and have a great time with the boys.

The next day I left the car on the trailer and took it to the cars and coffee with the family - as I was pulling in, some homeless dude took a picture of my car on the trailer and everyone and their mother sent me the picture he posted

lots of people took pictures and I got a lot of "pulling a classic with a classic" comments

later that day, got home, pushed the car off the trailer and pushed it in the driveway - baby was napping and didnt feel like waking him - Yesterday it was time to move the car to get the cans out for trash day and....

https://i.imgur.com/qDj6ryl.mp4

whats the bb code to make this video show?

Anyway - so I'm down a clutch and a distributor

heres the distributor aftermath:

so money has to be spent. BUT I flat out refuse to do anything to this car without doing something to upgrade it.. so whats next... who knows.

what really bums me out the most is that fall and winter in LA is really the best time to drive an open car, summer is hot as hell and I feel like I'm just cooking myself to death every time I drive it. I could be quick about it, but I just have no loving time to myself anymore - so I just set it aside for now.

In other news... I may be getting a new top for my wagon...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Think this might appeal to you, my Dad picked up a book a while ago, which is a compendium of tips and tricks garage owners wrote in to a trade publication about 100 years ago, so lots of interesting period comments on how to do workarounds or fix things, as well as some insights into the contemporary working culture with repair shops etc.

I keep meaning to figure out how to scan in a copy, but it turns out it's public domain, and available as a pdf! Enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/automobilerepai00worlgoog/page/n13/mode/2up

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Top notch weekend. Great post!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

An Outstanding weekend. Love the bunny suit on your bud.

That distributor base is hammered. Not surprised that it was dancing around.

Clutch should be relatively easy - it's getting the time.

What's up with the longroof?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Think this might appeal to you, my Dad picked up a book a while ago, which is a compendium of tips and tricks garage owners wrote in to a trade publication about 100 years ago, so lots of interesting period comments on how to do workarounds or fix things, as well as some insights into the contemporary working culture with repair shops etc.

I keep meaning to figure out how to scan in a copy, but it turns out it's public domain, and available as a pdf! Enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/automobilerepai00worlgoog/page/n13/mode/2up

I love these old books - Im so glad someone is taking the time to get them digitized for all to see - the thing that gets me about all these is that they are all about just "making due" with what you have. It's really funny how so far things have come with mechanics.

StormDrain posted:

Top notch weekend. Great post!

sure was! thanks!

PainterofCrap posted:

An Outstanding weekend. Love the bunny suit on your bud.

That distributor base is hammered. Not surprised that it was dancing around.

Clutch should be relatively easy - it's getting the time.

What's up with the longroof?

the chewed up base is kinda my fault, it was my fix to get the drat thing to seat better - I feel like it was barely in there enough to just click out.

The clutch thing bugs me because specifically to this car, I really like to do an "upgrade repair" vs just a repair - like if I'm going to these legnths, I might as well do something thats going to benefit the car as well. In this case, everything about the clutch/trans is expensive

I could do a 39 trans swap which would give me syncros - that would be nice to be able to jam gears quicker, or I could do a T5 (which I have waiting on the shelf) - but thats a pretty hefty kit to swallow - and if I'm doing that... I could always do a quckchange rear end...

but no matter what I do, unless I stick to stock, I have to figure out a new brake master situation, because the brake master is bolted to the trans!

I have a few distributor options too -

the wagon - long story, but I'm owed some money- I found this roof at a salvage yard in the midwest - trying to work a deal to get it shipped to me, when it gets here, we blast it, then install it on my car, and paint!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like how you've boiled installing a roof down to one activity. Is it just popping some spot welds and lifting it off?

What's up with your current roof that you are seeking a replacement?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I like how you've boiled installing a roof down to one activity. Is it just popping some spot welds and lifting it off?

What's up with your current roof that you are seeking a replacement?

welllllllllll - its not quite that easy, but it is just a matter of pulling the glass, measuring, chopping all the columns and welding on an entire new roof panel

zoom in on the roof sides

my roof is pretty rusty, this is extremely common on wagons of all makes, the huge straight rain gutters tend to hold water pretty bad. My car was a so cal beach car - I think it spent most of its life in the santa monica/venice area - the worst part about it is that dispite this rust, my original headliner is in nearly perfect shape, and I'm going to do my best to remove it without damaging it for the new roof.

and... theres more to it too - if you read back a bit, I talked about working my cars.. lets just say that because of its rust situation, it was handled a bit roughly - once things are settled, I'll share my expeirence, but for now, lets just say this new roof will be "on the house"

late breaking...

I've had a pretty busy work week without too much time to dive in to the car stuff, so today, after I finished up this project, I got in to seeing whats up with this thing

I pulled the floor out and took off the clutch inspection cover..

to be 100% transparent, I'm not the most confident with what I'm looking at when it comes to this car- any of the other buicks and gm stuff I've messed with over the years is pretty much my specialty, and while the ford stuff of this era is incredibly simple, I was flummoxed by the fact that the clutch disc, pressure plate and everything in there looked really nice and new - I dont have the car running because of my lack of distributor, but everything looked like it was functioning... and the disc didn't show signs of really any trauma...

I got my barber to squeek me in and on my drive over there, I started thinking that it might actually be the rear end - these are notorious for sheering the keys.. and losing a key would cause.. this... so the friday before the race, I was driving the car around town and it felt like my clutch went out then, all of a sudden it "caught" and kept going... so I was thinking - LSD bay beee - so I blew a key last week and this week the other key let go -

when I got home I lifted one rear wheel off the ground, put the car in gear and spun the wheel that was off the ground - sho-nuff - spun free with no movement in my clutch inspection window. my rear end is blown!

SO... this is a much more ideal fix - hopefully just a few hardened keys and we're back in business -

but I like to live...

https://www.hotrodworks.com/product/rodsville-quick-change-center-section-torque-tube/

dangerously.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:sickos: That will be really nice, have a few ratios that you can swap depending on what you're doing. Great news it's an easy fix and excuse to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Attn LBX: vintage magazines up for grabs.