Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know I'm going to be alone in this but he was the only part of Hamilton I enjoyed

Lin-Manuel Miranda's whiny voice is annoying as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gresh posted:

Does anyone honestly expect this to be any good? Matrix 2 was a disappointment, nobody liked Matrix 3 and since then, the Wachowski's have gone on to make some of the worst movies ever... JUPITER ASCENDING anyone?

I hope most movies that I have any interest in to be good in some fashion. Some movies I will go in to wanting to be disappointed if I have some sort of negative predisposition—when those movies turn out to be good it's refreshing (most recently Shang-Chi for me). But the fact is I personally cannot judge a film I haven't seen in finality, even if the film were made by my favorite director or a director who has made films I did not enjoy in the past. Writing off a film and saying it will be poo poo before having even seen it is something I believe to be stupid. Just my opinion.

quote:

I think the best case scenario here is Matrix 2 where there are some cool and memorable things like Monica Bellucci's rack.

Nice, dude.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Parkingtigers posted:

I didn't even really like the first Matrix, which was style over content.

Interesting. I'd argue the first one is among the best science fiction ever made along the likes of Alien, Bladerunner, 2001, Terminator, and Fury Road.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kiimo posted:

Lin-Manuel Miranda's whiny voice is annoying as hell

The rapping history teacher.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Jupiter Ascending would have been great if everyone was on the same level as Eddie Redmayne. Channing Tatum was horribly miscast in that.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Really unenthused to see so many reused bits from the original Matrix after clicking through to watch a half-dozen times. The "cops approaching Trinity sitting facing a wall" shot, the "trinity running in the corner of the wall to avoid gunfire" shot, the "morpheus getting hecka pummeled by agent ghostfists" shot, the "shells raining from helicopter" shot, and so on

Lastdancer posted:

Whennnn... theeeee...

MOON hits your eye like a big PIZZA PIE, that's...

EMMERICH!!

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1433439092914724869?s=20

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but did anyone in here watch The Wandering Earth? That movie was pretty wild

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I legit forgot Keanu was in the matrix movies for a second.

I think the first Matrix was a result of it being an idea that gesticulated so long and was a real labor of love. That's why the sequels always are worse. They chase what came naturally before and you (usually) can't catch it again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jewmanji posted:

The matrix was also one of the last movies that seemed to represent a quantum leap in CGI that has only been replicated a very small handful of times since (Avatar, Gravity, anything else?). Similar to how the new Star Wars films utterly failed to live up to the technological legacy of their predecessors, I’ll be curious to see if this move can possibly break through the very rote CGI that we’ve become accustomed to.

That's the thing, though - almost everything that people remember The Matrix for was done using as many practical tools as possible. Offhand the only thing that wasn't, and that wasn't actually meant to be CGI within the movie like the Desert of the Real, is the liquid mirror. Then they got lazy on the sequels and we ended up with the Burly Brawl, where a CGI Neo fights 100 CGI mannequins. It didn't look amazing then, and it looks awful now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The first matrix is also a masterclass of economy and efficient exposition / world-building. 2 and 3 were really bloated. I guess most movies now are just 2.5 hours by default but I’d love it if they could get this one down to 2 hours

Jedit posted:

That's the thing, though - almost everything that people remember The Matrix for was done using as many practical tools as possible. Offhand the only thing that wasn't, and that wasn't actually meant to be CGI within the movie like the Desert of the Real, is the liquid mirror. Then they got lazy on the sequels and we ended up with the Burly Brawl, where a CGI Neo fights 100 CGI mannequins. It didn't look amazing then, and it looks awful now.

Maybe I was being imprecise, I meant special effects generally. Are you not considering bullet time to be partially computer generated?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

MLSM posted:

Many same shots from the earlier films….

Saw someone on twitter talking about we might have a Metal Gear Solid 2 situation here and that would be really funny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

The first matrix is also a masterclass of economy and efficient exposition / world-building. 2 and 3 were really bloated. I guess most movies now are just 2.5 hours by default but I’d love it if they could get this one down to 2 hours

Maybe I was being imprecise, I meant special effects generally. Are you not considering bullet time to be partially computer generated?

calling bullet time “partially computer generated” is doing a huge disservice to the amount of practical work done to create that effect

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jewmanji posted:

I didn't say that. I said the effects were generated using the maximum possible practical work. In the case of bullet time, that required setting up dozens of variable-speed cameras and coordinating the shots with a computer sequencer. Yes, CGI blending was then used to create the interstitial frames, but there's no point in any of those shots where the people in the scene were just rendered objects. They did everything you see them doing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Parkingtigers posted:

the first Matrix, which was style over content.

Coming out of the theater in 1999 I can personally guarantee that almost nobody felt this way. The Matrix eventually succumbed to cliche but its narrative turn was wild at release. It was a real Empire Strikes Back cultural moment.

Jedit posted:

It didn't look amazing then, and it looks awful now.

The CGI in the Matrix sequels was awesome in 2003, especially when the only other comparison was the static/manic style of the star wars prequels which have aged way way worse.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No no no it looked terrible in the sequels in the theaters at the time

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Burly Brawl has always looked like absolute dog poo poo

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah the burly brawl always looked like poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks, you end your movie with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzqUe1Qfec

And you're gonna be worshipped as one of the greatest movies of all time.

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTL4qIIxg8A

It was Tony -- it was.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Jedit posted:

I didn't say that. I said the effects were generated using the maximum possible practical work. In the case of bullet time, that required setting up dozens of variable-speed cameras and coordinating the shots with a computer sequencer. Yes, CGI blending was then used to create the interstitial frames, but there's no point in any of those shots where the people in the scene were just rendered objects. They did everything you see them doing.

K, "special effects" more generally then.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm personally of the opinion that SFX are less important than story. Having a ten minute CGI fight is boring as poo poo. What made the first Matrix a mind gently caress was the story.

I will forgive movies a ton if the story flows, who cares if the lightsaber isn't perfect in Empire or whatever

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Attributing the first Matrix to it's effects is poor revisionist history or outright hating.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

I'm personally of the opinion that SFX are less important than story. Having a ten minute CGI fight is boring as poo poo. What made the first Matrix a mind gently caress was the story.

I will forgive movies a ton if the story flows, who cares if the lightsaber isn't perfect in Empire or whatever

I mean, I think in the case of the first Matrix these things were extremely complementary. If you go back and watch it, the entire third act is basically one long action sequence. From the lobby scene, to the helicopter rescue, to the subway fight, to the hallway shootout- that's basically the last 2/3rds of the movie and there isn't a whole lot of story, and then the movie ends quite abruptly.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's just the way the film is structured. They frontloaded the movie with really efficient exposition and storytelling to pave way for a very long special effects sequence.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Here:

It was Tony -- it was.

It really was

kiimo posted:

I'm personally of the opinion that SFX are less important than story.

Avatar, top grossing movie of all time and history forever, disagrees.

And yes I will see Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 the day they come out

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, I think in the case of the first Matrix these things were extremely complementary. If you go back and watch it, the entire third act is basically one long action sequence. From the lobby scene, to the helicopter rescue, to the subway fight, to the hallway shootout- that's basically the last 2/3rds of the movie and there isn't a whole lot of story, and then the movie ends quite abruptly.

Doesn't this portion of the movie include Agent Smith's speech about how he views humanity and all of Neo embracing being The One, dying, and being resurrected?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My biggest regret is going into the theater to see Episode I with my friends after wondering briefly what the Matrix was and if it was good as I walked by the cardboard dealie for it in the lobby.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

it took me a long time to admit how bad Phantom Menace was and how good The Matrix was

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

Here:

It was Tony -- it was.

that scene where Neo wakes up in the real world surrounded by millions of other people jacked into the matrix in a movie theater in 1999 was incredible, nothing like it before

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And yes I will see Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 the day they come out

I will not

kiimo posted:

Yeah

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Doesn't this portion of the movie include Agent Smith's speech about how he views humanity and all of Neo embracing being The One, dying, and being resurrected?

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the Agent Smith speech is right before the lobby scene. The elevator explosion at the end sets off the building's sprinkler system, and the room is dry when Smith is talking. Neo's resurrection is pretty quick and it effectively concludes the action: it ends his escape from the agents, and then he jacks out and the crew can finally fire the EMP that disables the machines cutting into the Nebuchadnezzar. That's pretty much the end of the movie IIRC.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

kiimo posted:

whenever Avatar cuts to the natives running and flying around trees it just looks like a really polished pixar film.

Things like Bladerunner 2049 and Prometheus are both much better visually looking movies than Avatar.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kiimo posted:

it took me a long time to admit how bad Phantom Menace was and how good The Matrix was

One day you will admit that Avatar was pretty ok.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The only thing that was original in the story of Avatar was that they gently caress their flying horses

Every twist and turn of that movie was telegraphed a mile away and stolen from other films. There was zero tension and I could not have been more bored

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's ok. I know for some people it takes time to see past their denial.

:razz:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sorry, I’m with kiimo, Avatar was like babby’s first screenplay. loving unobtanium!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

teagone posted:

It's ok. I know for some people it takes time to see past their denial.

:razz:

as my gf would say don't let me yuck your yum if you liked it that's great.

I thought it was a ferngully and dances with wolves ripoff though

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh I'm well aware of how many people dislike Avatar and poo poo on it and always like to say no one remembers it, it was just Ferngully/Dances With Wolves in space, etc. I don't care. I love it and am looking forward to the sequels. Cameron's portfolio of films has yet to disappoint me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like when the mecha has a big combat knife and fights the avatars with it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Vintersorg posted:

Here:

It was Tony -- it was.

Yeah I remember going in just knowing absolutely nothing about it aside from the random ads that were "What is the Matrix?". Just had no idea what was going to happen and the energy in the theater was insane. And all this stuff keeps happening and you have no idea why and then the "I know Kung Fu" line hit and the crowd went nuts

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Parkingtigers posted:

I didn't even really like the first Matrix, which was style over content.

:nallears:

We need a CinemaD hot takes thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gresh posted:

Things like Bladerunner 2049 and Prometheus are both much better visually looking movies than Avatar.

Prometheus' production design is loving astounding. I daresay 80% of that film is practical effects. Watching the long rear end making-of doc on the 4-disc set was a real :eyepop: for how creative an experienced team can get.