Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

Also Khmer was pretty massively nerfed from playtesting. The original iteration was somehow even more insane. Like double the current yields.

This is from pages ago but remember how the Franks' unique ability was just straight up +50% food in every city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Deltasquid posted:

This is from pages ago but remember how the Franks' unique ability was just straight up +50% food in every city?

You have to imagine some pretty intense arguments among the devs between a "make everything legit overpowered" camp and a "whoa there" group.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

One thing I hope they change is the very small bonuses on Common's Quarters from civics like Slaves or Democratic Republic--Commons Quarters don't seem to be a district you spam, if you even need them at all, and a measly +1 or +2 bonus on them is not very impactful. Even Common's Quarters themselves discourage you from spamming them, since they prefer to be adjacent to non-Commons Quarter districts.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Something I think would be nice is if common's quarters exploited whatever they were on. So like you'd fill your rivers with common's quarters and you'd still get the food and production while bridging makers and farmer's districts.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
You can still kill a dude with a sharpened piece of flint in TYOOL 2021

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

Something I think would be nice is if common's quarters exploited whatever they were on. So like you'd fill your rivers with common's quarters and you'd still get the food and production while bridging makers and farmer's districts.

That's what Hamlets were for, but they got restricted to 1/territory in either the release build or last beta.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Chamale posted:

Smokescreens and high explosives, not just a bunch of dudes with bows. The Mujaheddin blew up plenty of helicopters with cavalry carrying American missile launchers

please stop whatever this is

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Got a peaceful win on turn 111 this time. Egypt - Persia - Khmer - Mughals - Germany - Turkey. I'm playing online with a friend soon, hopefully with real people we can have a bit more counterplay, but we'll probably just need a ban on Khmer and Turks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Magil Zeal posted:

One thing I hope they change is the very small bonuses on Common's Quarters from civics like Slaves or Democratic Republic--Commons Quarters don't seem to be a district you spam, if you even need them at all, and a measly +1 or +2 bonus on them is not very impactful. Even Common's Quarters themselves discourage you from spamming them, since they prefer to be adjacent to non-Commons Quarter districts.

I think Common's Quarters are supposed to be like a stability glue that holds your city together, but by the time you unlock them you've probably long since solved any stability problems and it only gets easier to going forward.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How do you solve stability and still district spam before Commons quarters?

I've also slammed them late in big groups to push back civic influence

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Goodpancakes posted:

By buying all the luxury goods on the planet, also garrisons, holy sites and wonders

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chamale posted:

Got a peaceful win on turn 111 this time. Egypt - Persia - Khmer - Mughals - Germany - Turkey. I'm playing online with a friend soon, hopefully with real people we can have a bit more counterplay, but we'll probably just need a ban on Khmer and Turks.

So, what's your build order tend to be?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chamale posted:

Are the eras on the graph bugging out, or did your science really spike in industrial, not with the Turks?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

Zhao or Roman unique buildings help early on

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is the Mughals's emblematic quarter's +3 industry per worker supposed to stop working after advancing to another culture?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Staltran posted:

Is the Mughals's emblematic quarter's +3 industry per worker supposed to stop working after advancing to another culture?

I don't think any of these change when you advance. I had a super effective religion and the market quarter that gave me more gold per territory with my religion was still +88 gold at the end of the game.

I've mostly gone Olmecs / Zhou / Harrapan / Egypt for my first culture. Thought I'd shake it up with the Myceneans and oh man they have a crazy bonus I didn't realize. Their district is a garrison so it can be placed anywhere in a territory, but it also counts as a maker's quarters, meaning you get to plop down the most efficient maker's quarter in the entire district right off the bat. Can you also build districts off of a garrison or not? If so it gives a ton more flexibility way before you get Hamlets but I haven't tried it yet but a +24 maker's quarters in the ancient era is nuts.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 7, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sadly you cannot build off of garrisons but the Myceneans are probably my favorite ancient civ and it loving sucks that like Harappa unless you have god tier rng you never get to play them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah myceneans are extremely OP because of their perfectly effective makers quarters. oh and +15 stability as well, per district

you've just got to micro the hell out of the neolithic era and slam that choose civ button immediately

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Chamale posted:

I assume a unit in Humankind represents something like 10,000 people. So that's 80,000 people on horseback, with the element on surprise on their side, against 2,500 tanks (4 crewmen per tank). Yeah, I'd bet on the Huns in that situation.

Does anyone else remember that one post where a goon was asserting that all of history could be boiled down to Western Civilization versus Horse Archers (of various definitions of "horse archer)?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah myceneans are extremely OP because of their perfectly effective makers quarters. oh and +15 stability as well, per district

you've just got to micro the hell out of the neolithic era and slam that choose civ button immediately

Just use auto explore lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yoooo gently caress Hoplites when you are on the business end of the phalanx

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah honestly I have no qualms about exploiting auto-explore in the neolithic if I want to run one of the cultures the AI likes to slam pick early. I turn it off after that though because otherwise your hunters will beeline for a bunch of goodie huts that allow you pick up stacks of early warriors for free and it turns early border skirmishes into a joke.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Has anyone noticed any correlation between AI temperaments and culture choices in ancient?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've noticed my opponent's avatars change when I load saved games so who knows what the gently caress their personality is like now

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

victrix posted:

Has anyone noticed any correlation between AI temperaments and culture choices in ancient?

There's definitely a pattern between their traits and what they want, it just seems that if the ai is 'militarist' Mycene is just first pick. I mean for obvious reasons but the same way peaceful ai are biased towards Harappa, it sucks for the player.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

So, what's your build order tend to be?

Build the pottery workshop, then Egyptian Pyramids, then just keep increasing industry and food. Maximize your latent industrial capacity - you can have a city with 0 workers and 100+ production in the Ancient era. Keep your stability at 31 or more, but extra stability hardly matters. Send scouts to build outposts on any luxuries you find, especially ones with a flat bonus instead of percentage-based bonuses. Mercilessly conquer independent city-states; if you capture a peaceful one, their troops can be right outside the city and they won't try to take it back. Use expert policies to prioritize food, research, and industry. I get a lot of cheap techs to speedrun the Research stars, and there are three techs that should always be researched ASAP: Feudalism, Patronage, and Computing. Before entering the Contemporary Era, every territory should have a ring of 6 research quarters with a hole in the middle to insert a Public School.

Staltran posted:

Are the eras on the graph bugging out, or did your science really spike in industrial, not with the Turks?

The eras are bugged. Or maybe it defines entering an era by half of the game entering that era, rather than the first player entering it.

Wrr posted:

Does anyone else remember that one post where a goon was asserting that all of history could be boiled down to Western Civilization versus Horse Archers (of various definitions of "horse archer)?

I don't remember that, but I want to read it now. I wonder if I could take over the world as the Mongols without ever entering later eras.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Just played as the Turks in the final era and wow, that is some ridiculous research snowballing.

Also, turns out you only have to research the last 3 techs, not the whole tree to win for science so I finished despite not having researched a load of stuff.

Also I think I discovered aerial naval tactics before flight and I'm fairly sure the research tree links weren't thought through properly.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Also I think I discovered aerial naval tactics before flight and I'm fairly sure the research tree links weren't thought through properly.

You can get AK-47s without gunpowder. Although Civilization V had a similar problem where you can get Gatling guns without gunpowder.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

victrix posted:

Changing out the AI picks can definitely influence which civs get snapped up first.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tom Tucker posted:

I don't think any of these change when you advance. I had a super effective religion and the market quarter that gave me more gold per territory with my religion was still +88 gold at the end of the game.

I noticed I had only 8 (or something) production/worker in my capital that had 4 Jama Masjids. I think the district might just be bugged.

Chamale posted:

Before entering the Contemporary Era, every territory should have a ring of 6 research quarters with a hole in the middle to insert a Public School.

Public schools count as research quarters so you can have a slightly stretched ring of 8 research quarters with two slots for public schools (in different territories). Or nine research quarters around a 3-hex triangle, if the territory borders line up nicely.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Staltran posted:

I noticed I had only 8 (or something) production/worker in my capital that had 4 Jama Masjids. I think the district might just be bugged.

Public schools count as research quarters so you can have a slightly stretched ring of 8 research quarters with two slots for public schools (in different territories). Or nine research quarters around a 3-hex triangle, if the territory borders line up nicely.

You can, but if you have the production to pull off multiple separate rings, you should. The more base science you're multiplying, the better, obviously.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AnEdgelord posted:

not exactly, you've got to do a lot of manual movement. auto explore is kinda dumb, especially if you've got a lot of tribes running around in proximity. they'll all go after the same bonuses and waste moves

you'll want to use auto explore more than half the time, turning it off to split new tribes or redirect tribes so they're not crawling all over each other. i've got no problems getting mycenae or harappa first in like 90% of games

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can, but if you have the production to pull off multiple separate rings, you should. The more base science you're multiplying, the better, obviously.

joeson -> france -> turks leads to a wild synergy here, its basically the click next for a tech win combo

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Staltran posted:

The production I believe goes onto the district so it will show up as industry on the map on the district and as district industry on the city screen.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

not exactly, you've got to do a lot of manual movement. auto explore is kinda dumb, especially if you've got a lot of tribes running around in proximity. they'll all go after the same bonuses and waste moves

you'll want to use auto explore more than half the time, turning it off to split new tribes or redirect tribes so they're not crawling all over each other. i've got no problems getting mycenae or harappa first in like 90% of games

Yep. It took me way too long to notice that I had three scouts conga-lining around the map chasing the same curiosities.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Magenta empire fix is on main, for those waiting on it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kdrudy posted:

Magenta empire fix is on main, for those waiting on it.

Their reign of highly congenial diplomatic terror is finally over

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I experimented and apparently the explore decision must get locked in at start of turn because even when I stagger my tribes to auto-explore one at a time the second will go look for the curiosity the first one just popped

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Khmer were pretty op irl tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

How viable would an all elephant run be.

Danann fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 8, 2021