Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

not saying this is what's happening, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if the title is a bait-and-switch and this book has very little to do with Moira

I'm not sure if a title mentioning Wolverine focusing on Wolverine instead of someone who isn't Wolverine is a bait and switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Getting bait and switched by a book titled Wolverine, about Moira, but actually about Wolverine, but actually about Moira, but really about hot claws.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Did he even use the hot claws? Does he still have them?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

glitchwraith posted:

I'm not sure if a title mentioning Wolverine focusing on Wolverine instead of someone who isn't Wolverine is a bait and switch.

I mean that the X lives/deaths in the title aren't necessarily related to Moira's, to be clear

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

He used them in the holiday special issue to save Christmas!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

I mean that the X lives/deaths in the title aren't necessarily related to Moira's, to be clear

Gotcha.

In other news, I really enjoyed this issue of New Mutants. Scouts back! Scouts back! SCOUTS BACK!

Also, Vita does a really good job of juggling multiple plot threads, at least in this title. Would really like to read more team books by them. Not sure what went wrong with Children of the Atom, which I skipped.

Edit: Corrected a pronoun.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 1, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hellions was loving insane, loved New Mutants. I really need to read the Demon Days books I keep buying.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

gor. gor. gor. gor. gor.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

I saw a tweet asking people what their most unpopular X-Men opinions were and someone said "Logan is the least interesting character in all of X-Men"

and I mean...

They're wrong, but only because Monet exists

Logan was only recently made uninteresting by way of giving him a milk toast backstory and an actual name. The coolest part about him is that he was basically a demigod. No past, no real name or memory, functionally immortal with infinite story potential. You could plausibly have a story about Wolverine in fuedal Japan because there was nothing in his backstory that actively contradicts that. But no, we they had to go and Howlett that. Nope, not bitter at all.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SnatchRabbit posted:

Logan was only recently made uninteresting by way of giving him a milk toast backstory and an actual name. The coolest part about him is that he was basically a demigod. No past, no real name or memory, functionally immortal with infinite story potential. You could plausibly have a story about Wolverine in fuedal Japan because there was nothing in his backstory that actively contradicts that. But no, we they had to go and Howlett that. Nope, not bitter at all.

Milquetoast.

Enjoyed Hellions and New Mutants a lot this week, looks like another mutant might be headed into the pit. The Brooappearance in New Mutants was pretty interesting, I had forgotten about the new powers that they had. Hope to see that pay off. Loved Emma says hello.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Cloks posted:

Milquetoast.

Cursed auto-correct, the Jordan White of mobile posting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That "Emma says hi" was rather unexpected and shocking

radlum
May 13, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

That "Emma says hi" was rather unexpected and shocking

I was surprised by that, though it makes sense that Emma wouldn't trust Sinister and wouldn't like him using the name of her students for his stuff.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

radlum posted:

I was surprised by that, though it makes sense that Emma wouldn't trust Sinister and wouldn't like him using the name of her students for his stuff.

My favorite thing about that line is that it could be revealed as absolute truth or as Empath just loving with people because that's what Empath does, and either way it would be a hundred percent believable

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really enjoyed how Amino Fetus final stage is just mogwai apocalypse but way grosser and bloodier. (gor)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
X books are good in general. X books were hella good this week.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

radlum posted:

Yeah, I can't remember this (and am too lazy to dig for it) but... is there a specific source for that line? "You were told not to play with yourself." Was that a condition of Sinister's inclusion into the Quiet Council or something?

Or is the implication here that Empath has always just been an agent of Emma to watch over Sinister?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Empath was an original Hellion with Emma. It wouldn't surprise me if he was secretly working for her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Empath was an original Hellion with Emma. It wouldn't surprise me if he was secretly working for her.

Yeah, at the very least however terrible Empath is as a person, Emma doesn't abandon her kids.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My opinion today: it's no more weirder to have wings grow out your back or claws out of your hand than to have your intestines be worms that come out your body.
My friends; you're weird and almost no one would agree with that.

Thoughts?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rick posted:

My opinion today: it's no more weirder to have wings grow out your back or claws out of your hand than to have your intestines be worms that come out your body.

Thoughts?

I think that's been a theme of the X-Men since at least the Claremont era. You have Jean Grey, who is supermodel attractive and her mutant abilities are such that she could easily just pass as a normal human who occasionaly uses them to get personal advantages in life, but she chooses to fight and die (literally) with the one's who look like something out of a nightmare.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 3, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I meeeean, wings and claws are things that regular, possibly cuddly animals can have. Intestines that turn to worms are a little...less regular than that, even amongst our non-human friends. So you gotta factor that.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Rick posted:

Thoughts?

Is this a stealth Maggot defense force post? If so :amen:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BrianWilly posted:

I meeeean, wings and claws are things that regular, possibly cuddly animals can have. Intestines that turn to worms are a little...less regular than that, even amongst our non-human friends. So you gotta factor that.

This is blatant echinoderm erasure and I will not stand for it. :colbert:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That lovely manga Blade of the Immortal has a protagonist who does have worms all up in him, and we see 'em often! They're special immortalizing worms or something. So I say read that cool manga for your worm representing. Plus it's a good yarn.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

I think this was retroactively explained as Phoenix Wolverine posing as Regular Wolverine for a while?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

KaosMachina posted:

I think this was retroactively explained as Phoenix Wolverine posing as Regular Wolverine for a while?
It was not, Phoenix Wolverine was posing as Regular rear end Claws Wolverine for a bit.

September 2017: Wolverine is shown as "coming back" in the Marvel Legacy one-shot written by Jason Aaron. Wolverine is back, and he's got an Infinity Stone!

November 2017: Axel Alonso is replaced as editor-in-chief by CB Cebulski and it's clear a bunch of plans were changed.

December 2017: Marvel cancels the last four issues of Guardians of the Galaxy and rebrands them as "Infinity Countdown" with Wolverine in a starring role.

January 2018: A series of "after credits" shorts appear in various books with Wolverine teleporting around using his Infinity Stone trying to decide if he wants to tell folks he's alive.

March 2018: Wolverine disappears abruptly from the Infinity Countdown series in its second issue, leaving the Infinity Stone in a toilet tank for Black Widow to find in a secret safehouse.

June 2018: Marvel announces Charles Soule will be writing the Return of Wolverine mini-series, promising HOT CLAWS. That same month, Jason Aaron introduces Future Phoenix Logan in his Thor run.

September 2018: Return of Wolverine starts, reveals that Wolverine was brought back to life by the mysterious PERSEPHONE and her organization SOTEIRA as an amnesiac killing machine. His claws get hot because Persephone overclocked his healing factor and the claws serve as a heat sink for both Too Much Healing Power and Too Much Anger. At the end of the mini-series, I guess he's no longer overclocked and his claws stop getting hot.

February 2019: Wolverine: Infinity Watch reveals that the Wolverine that appeared from September 2017-March 2018 was actually Future Phoenix Wolverine who was just doing it to gently caress with Loki, I guess?

So Future Phoenix Wolverine absolutely did impersonate Present Regular Wolverine, but not to give him hot claws.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Comic books are incredible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is this a stealth Maggot defense force post? If so :amen:

I’m a fairly recent convert but yes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wolverine wasn't brought back to life by persephone. she had the power to animate dead bodies as puppets, but they were still dead. it's just that after a while wolverine's puppeted corpse came back to life on its own because that's what wolverine does. still, HOT CLAWS.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The hot claw saga is just so drat funny, I love it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They at least seemed to have more fun with Hot Claws than they did with Spidey's Bone Claws.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

They at least seemed to have more fun with Hot Claws than they did with Spidey's Bone Claws.

I totally forgot about that.

One thing though, the bone claws is at least a totally new power. I never understood the point of hot claws, like his claws absolutely gently caress up anything they slice into already and it's not like lack of a "logical" reason for a building to catch on fire during a fight scene has ever stopped a comics artist from setting a building on fire if they wanted to.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’d be cool if they were Phoenix related. Like, if he could stab someone, and then they instantly burst into flames. Or if he had a hyper combo that finished with him launching a firebird from his fists. Go full anime or go home.

The pre Krakoa feels like so long ago because we’ve been bombarded with so much new content in the last few years.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

from UXM #180

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Professor X being a Jock explains a lot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1435275417594867713

hmm

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinite comics are back????

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
At long last, the new ongoing series, Old Man Mondo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Rochallor posted:

At long last, the new ongoing series, Old Man Mondo!

Old Man Goldballs