Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1433152377138421761

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Griff Garrison has been around longer than I thought.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I liked him because he had L-shaped sideburns.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flight Bisque posted:

Just think, if they hadn't let it air then we'd have lost 20+ years of angelfire sites telling us that Goldberg was totally one of those guys!!

One of the funniest Monday Night Wars arguments was people saying Goldberg wasn't really undefeated because of that segment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Flight Bisque posted:

Just think, if they hadn't let it air then we'd have lost 20+ years of angelfire sites telling us that Goldberg was totally one of those guys!!

More bafflingly that it was Luther Reigns legitimately is one of the oddest bits of wrestling trivia.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm just thinking of the alternate universe where Goldberg was given the Horshu gimmick

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I had peas before! The potatoes were next!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Has Goldberg had peas before though? :thunk:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know it takes a certain level of ego and mania to be a promoter but I wonder why Bisch lost his mind and started drinking in '98. Yes, WWF and Austin were catching fire, but WCW was still doing great until well into 1999, right? Even if they became #2, as long as you're making money, so what? It seems like their desperate desire to be #1 is what killed them, even after Eric was sent home. So I guess everybody just has an ego that was far too big.

Reminds me when I was asking in this thread about why Hogan didn't just lie down for String at StarrCade. You'll make more money when the company is successful, Hulk! And WCW would maybe still be alive if they could just settle for second place.

EDIT:

Also, thanks for the replies on Scott, everybody. Looks like Nash spoke about this very topic not too long ago, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mUoMcBoD0

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 4, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm not super steeped in the backstage going on of WCW at the time but the more I watch and look at things I just come to the conclusion that Eric didn't see money in anything but the nWo on top of losing control of his monsters. Whether you take that to mean a thousand year reign of Hogan or just a mix of main event nWo guys take your pick.

Starrcade '97 kind of does feel like when the decision was made to ride the black and white to the drat ground for better or worse.

Sting gets the "controversial" win at Starrcade, doesn't even appear at Souled Out, finally gets the title with interference at Superbrawl, plays co-main to Hogan vs Savage next event, then loses the belt to Savage at the next show. Your avenging superhero main events one show as champ that he loses? Come the hell on.

God... looking at the ppvs through '98 is a real mess. What the hell even goes on if Goldberg never hits the scene?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Reminds me when I was asking in this thread about why Hogan didn't just lie down for String at StarrCade. You'll make more money when the company is successful, Hulk! And WCW would maybe still be alive if they could just settle for second place.

This is down to Hogan's massive ego and the horrific mistake of giving wrestlers creative control.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dawgstar posted:

This is down to Hogan's massive ego and the horrific mistake of giving wrestlers creative control.

it was always going to be a bit of a smozz finish regardless, as WCW had this hot new show Thunder that they were looking to promote heavilly for their first episode using the title match controversy

that Hogan got it even more hosed up than planned is a testament to his ego though

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm not super steeped in the backstage going on of WCW at the time but the more I watch and look at things I just come to the conclusion that Eric didn't see money in anything but the nWo on top of losing control of his monsters. Whether you take that to mean a thousand year reign of Hogan or just a mix of main event nWo guys take your pick.

Starrcade '97 kind of does feel like when the decision was made to ride the black and white to the drat ground for better or worse.

Sting gets the "controversial" win at Starrcade, doesn't even appear at Souled Out, finally gets the title with interference at Superbrawl, plays co-main to Hogan vs Savage next event, then loses the belt to Savage at the next show. Your avenging superhero main events one show as champ that he loses? Come the hell on.

God... looking at the ppvs through '98 is a real mess. What the hell even goes on if Goldberg never hits the scene?
j

to be honest they were also in this really hosed up spot of their own making where they booked Scott Hall to win the World War 3 PPV and a PPV world title shot...and then just like forgot about it for a while

I want to say and it's been a bit that it was originally promised as a shot on Superbrawl but because they had held the title up after the debut of this hot new TV show called WCW Thunder that it got pushed back to Uncensored so the fans could get the Sting/Hogan rematch.

(I dont quite mind the decision that much, the stupid held up title angle took so goddamned long to resolve that I much prefer they would skip Souled Out in 2 weeks just to give the Starrcade rematch a month or so to build)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Hogan played the long game with his politicking, he'd rather ruin ppvs and sink the company while remaining in the spotlight than drop down to the #2 guy, because a top guy is worth a lot elsewhere. WCW dies but he just goes off to wwf, tna and his reality show to continue to get paid. He did the same thing sabotaging warrior and savage in wwf.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

If you want to know why Vince is obsessed with putting the brand ahead of the talent, look no further than here.

That said, you can still give wrestlers a reasonable amount of creative control without having them run amok. Case in point: AEW.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn't that what Hogan decided to do instead of the George Foreman Grill?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man that thing looks even shittier than I imagined.

Also, why is Hulk Hogan's name in the Scooby Doo font

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as I know, the only source on Hogan passing on the George Foreman grill is Hogan himself. I could believe it, but this is the guy who claims he fought the Undertaker in Pride.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why would Hulk Hogan lie?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

You've seen Thunder In Paradise, now have Thunder (mixer) In Your Kitchen!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also, why is Hulk Hogan's name in the Scooby Doo font

roak rogan

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everything I’ve seen Hogan endorse outside of wrestling looks like the cheapest poo poo imaginable

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

oldpainless posted:

Everything I’ve seen Hogan endorse outside of wrestling looks like the cheapest poo poo imaginable

I wish I had the chance to have gone to Pastamania.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Hulk Hogan grill he did eventually make seemed way too big, as in really hard to clean and store somewhere. Saw that infomercial and his stupid family way too many times late night and toasted, thinking how good an investment it would be

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tato posted:

The Hulk Hogan grill he did eventually make seemed way too big, as in really hard to clean and store somewhere. Saw that infomercial and his stupid family way too many times late night and toasted, thinking how good an investment it would be

This should definitely be on the psp-tv playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06PhuE3O_Dw

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Mechanical pressure" is a very salesmanly way to say "the lid is heavy"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Don't you dare impugn the quality and workmanship that goes into every Meat Shoe.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Apparently this has been floating around Twitter lmao wtf

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That man is a legend.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Bring back Ring Ka King, brother

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I want to see Hogan vs Khali but I'm not paying for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1435589278101295108

this is a delight, lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Is that really Hogan? The tattoos don't look right and neither dose his face. Maybe I'm just not awake enough yet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

Is that really Hogan? The tattoos don't look right and neither dose his face. Maybe I'm just not awake enough yet

Of course not. Hulk Hogan would never allow a paper to quote him as "Terry Gene Bollea"

Gene isn't even his middle name!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i hope that's Brutus Beefcake

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hulk Hogan vs Fake Hulk Hogan for The Hearts & Minds Of India match

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smarxist posted:

Winner becomes Bollywood Hulk Hogan

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

smarxist posted:

But what about the Champion of Pakistan?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He’s as incoherent as Scotty but without the Sid charisma, I love this. Nobody did it better than Mean Gene, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

smarxist posted:

i hope that's Brutus Beefcake

He looks more like Billy Graham than Hogan.