Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Enos Cabell posted:

Excellent, thanks! Think I'll have to finally stop at the entrance to Costco this week and put that bad boy on the cart. Now I just have to decide if I really want to splash out for the 77 vs the 65...

I have a 65" and want a 77".

Go big or go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The thing I cant get over are kids like my nephews who are totally fine watching a god drat movie on their fuckin phones or ipads. Jesus. I used to dream of having a TV at home like the 4:3 flat screen, whatever size that was we had in the school library. I was so happy when I finally got a 27" CRT, second hand from my aunt. But once I got a 46" at the time they were in vogue, that novelty wore off pretty quick. And the same when I got a 65. I want to fill the wall if I can.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

codo27 posted:

The thing I cant get over are kids like my nephews who are totally fine watching a god drat movie on their fuckin phones or ipads.
Convenience. Plus they've grown up in a world where 1080p is common so it all looks the same.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Swung by Costco earlier and the jerks must have sold their remaining CXs in the past week or two. So I did the reasonable thing and ordered the 77" CX from Bestbuy in the parking lot. Downside is it won't be here until next Tuesday, but on the upside it's being delivered and I had $100 in reward zone cash I forgot about, so price ended up being about $50 less than Costco. And I don't have to go rent a truck from Home Depot to haul it home.

Now to figure out which receiver I want to upgrade to...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The 2021 Onkyos [and their associated Pioneer and Integra siblings] seem like the best you can get now, just don’t get the 5100. They’re in pretty short supply if you need one right away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would so buy a 77" CX or C1 in a heartbeat, but I'm not quite ready to give up on 3d yet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

qirex posted:

The 2021 Onkyos [and their associated Pioneer and Integra siblings] seem like the best you can get now, just don’t get the 5100. They’re in pretty short supply if you need one right away.

I might just hold off on the receiver a while, as I'm realizing my only source that isn't 4k/60 is my PC. Can just run a separate hdmi cable for that through the wall and then use optical for audio from pc to my current receiver.

bull3964 posted:

I would so buy a 77" CX or C1 in a heartbeat, but I'm not quite ready to give up on 3d yet.

I've got a 27" 120Hz nvidia 3dvision monitor in my office that I have a ps3 hooked up to for 3d movies. Not as good as a huge screen and a couch, but it scratches that itch.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Get a Quest 2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, no, 3d movies in VR are nowhere near what passive 3d on a 4k OLED is.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

I'm not quite ready to give up on 3d yet.
Everyone else has.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

MikusR posted:

Get a Quest 2.

We were shipped an original Quest at work and I was trying it out yesterday, my first time experiencing VR. It was pretty cool and I meant to have a look at game availability to see if its worth getting for myself

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

American McGay posted:

Everyone else has.

I'm surprised there's even new content being released in 3D still, I thought that market was entirely dead.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Once my LG CX gets here, I'll be running a Shield and uhd bluray through my old 4k60 receiver. For my pc I'll run a separate hdmi 2.1 cable up to the tv, but for audio I'm not sure if I should let hdmi carry audio from pc to tv, and then go optical from tv to receiver, or if I should just go optical straight from pc to receiver? Looking to minimize the audio lag as much as possible.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
ARC from the TV to the receiver not an option?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, that would work too. Just not sure what the least laggy option would be.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've personally not experienced any lag issues with a 3080 connected to my CX which is connected to a Denon receiver via ARC. I think there may be issues if you have an eARC capable setup and plan on passing through Atmos this way.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've also got a Denon, so sounds like I'll be running another HDMI through the wall. Thanks!

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I also have a C1 with a Denon using ARC and it works fine with my 3080. I haven't experienced any lag that is noticeable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Amazon's frontpage is showing all their new TVs for me.

The Omni series ("high end") the 4 series ("budget") and a new Pioneer version of their base Fire TV.

Prices are good - $1,100 for the 75" Omni. But the only Omni series that have DV are the 65 and 75. Hmmm.

Will wait for ratings, but there is a promotional pricing on the 50" ... it's $399 at the moment.

edit: Backlighting is "direct LED" which I'm guess is *not* mini-LED nor zoned LED?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 9, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The 65" and 75" appear to be a variant of the TCL 6 (635) Series.

Per The Verge:

TCL on the left.

Wouldn't surprise me if local dimming was removed for the Fire TV version. There's no real way to know without a review/emailing Amazon.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 9, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

BonoMan posted:

edit: Backlighting is "direct LED" which I'm guess is *not* mini-LED nor zoned LED?

direct LED = backlight is behind the panel
edge LED = backlight is at the top and bottom edge of the panel
FALD = full array local dimming, direct LED where parts of the backlight can be turned off while others remain on to improve black level and contrast
mini-LED = like FALD but the zones are smaller, thus more numerous, thus the effect is better
zoned LED = i have not heard of this

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Incessant Excess posted:

direct LED = backlight is behind the panel
edge LED = backlight is at the top and bottom edge of the panel
FALD = full array local dimming, direct LED where parts of the backlight can be turned off while others remain on to improve black level and contrast
mini-LED = like FALD but the zones are smaller, thus more numerous, thus the effect is better
zoned LED = i have not heard of this

No I know what they mean - but sometimes tech specs use lovely writing so I was just confirming that in 2021 a freakin' model made for "home theater experience" doesn't have local dimming.

I just meant local dimming when I said zoned LED. I'm at work so I was typing quickly.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister Facetious posted:

The 65" and 75" appear to be a variant of the TCL 6 (635) Series.

Per The Verge:

TCL on the left.

Wouldn't surprise me if local dimming was removed for the Fire TV version. There's no real way to know without a review/emailing Amazon.

This isn't even a question... it was announced TCL was building them back when they first got announced I believe?

edit: apparently a week ago which feels like 100 years

https://www.reuters.com/technology/amazon-roll-out-its-own-tv-us-by-october-business-insider-2021-09-03/

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

BonoMan posted:

No I know what they mean - but sometimes tech specs use lovely writing so I was just confirming that in 2021 a freakin' model made for "home theater experience" doesn't have local dimming.

:doh:

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Does anyone have recommendations for TV Bias lighting? Looking for something for my 77" CX. It would be cool if it matched the content on the screen, but if it doesn't that is fine too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for TV Bias lighting? Looking for something for my 77" CX. It would be cool if it matched the content on the screen, but if it doesn't that is fine too

I have MediaLights and really like them, they are 6500K only. Their entry level model is on sale now, for size reference I have 3 sides covered on my 55" with a 2M strip. Make sure you get the dimmer, they are super bright at 100%

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BonoMan posted:

This isn't even a question... it was announced TCL was building them back when they first got announced I believe?

edit: apparently a week ago which feels like 100 years

https://www.reuters.com/technology/amazon-roll-out-its-own-tv-us-by-october-business-insider-2021-09-03/

I rarely check what Amazon does with Fire TVs 🤷🏻

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

qirex posted:

I have MediaLights and really like them, they are 6500K only. Their entry level model is on sale now, for size reference I have 3 sides covered on my 55" with a 2M strip. Make sure you get the dimmer, they are super bright at 100%

Thanks for this, picked up a 6m kit w/ wifi dimmer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister Facetious posted:

I rarely check what Amazon does with Fire TVs 🤷🏻

I don't expect you to - but the Verge should have known better!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm going to have a C1 delivered this week. At what point should I consider getting it calibrated?

I read the C1 is set to a "cool" tone at factory setings (i.e. D65 White point). I also read the brightness of new OLED TVs can adjust after about a hundred hours of use, as well as have any manufacturing-induced coloring artifacts fade away after some usage.

Should I initially fiddle with the various menu settings, as listed in the Reddit guide for PC/monitor settings?
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

Then after the screen "settles in" after about 100 hours of use: if I'm not satisfied with the color quality, or see some minor color hue that's off, should I consider getting the TV calibrated? I found one can buy a calibration meter and software online, so I might just buy the calibration package and try to do it myself, if I need to.

Also, this guy at Quantum TV believes using one Color space (BT.2020) gives superior color saturation results, compared to what's recommended by HDTV Test (BT.709). Does this guy know what he's talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peZwgp_pU4c
EDIT: in one of his different videos the author claims he was a professional calibrator, but I don't know his full history.

Just an FYI, I'm going to use the C1 for just gaming and some streaming shows, but will not be using the C1 as my primary monitor. I game and watch shows just a few hours a week, so will switch over to the OLED for those activities.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 12, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nnnotime posted:

Does this guy know what he's talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peZwgp_pU4c

No.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Jesus christ theres' too much information about televisions to process it all.

I currently have a 40" Samsung with a line of dead pixels that's more than a few years old and I'd like to upgrade (mostly because I want to have a good tv to watch the new Wheel of Time show on, which gives me a timeframe of the next couple months for this purchase)

The bookcase the new television will need to perch atop can only fit a base of a maximum size of 30" by 12", or I could wall mount it in a space that's about 5' by 3' . Sofa is about ten feet away from the wall spot where it would hang.
I want to avoid the "washed out, too brightly lit" look I often see in HD displays (I've read this is a matter of calibration but would appreciate any pointers).

I can spend a couple grand or so but this isn't a purchase I particularly want to break the bank on.

Any pointers to good deals? Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 12, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I want to avoid the "washed out, too brightly lit" look I often see in HD displays (I've read this is a matter of calibration but would appreciate any pointers).
Sir do you have a moment to hear a verse from the Book of OLED?

Ok, so for your base problem issues, they do make VESA compatible bases that mount onto your TV like a wall mount might. A lot of the TVs nowadays prefer the dumbass "2 wedges at the corner" design, I suppose to save on materials costs for heavy center-bases on the older style central stands.

You should also consider what "A Couple Brand" means for you since prices are so insane nowadays that You can pick up the 48" OLED from LG for about $1,400 after tax.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 13, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FilthyImp posted:

Sir do you have a moment to hear a verse from the Book of OLED?

Probably yes, actually

Like I realize this is japery but don't know enough about televisions these days to understand your jape. I haven't bought a television since Obama's first term.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not sure what the too bright/washed out effect is? Are you talking about store displays?

If you can afford OLED. It's the best. Get it no questions asked if it doesn't break the bank

Otherwise my TCL 6 series is amazing for like $600.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Probably yes, actually
Yeah, so basically most of the screens you're familiar with are LED based backlight screens. The washed out look you speak about probably means that the settings are way out of what and the contrast is making things overblown or the brightness itself is washing things out. Likely, because the older sets had one (essentially) big bank of backlight. Stuff like HDR (high dynamic range) best works when you can create differences in brightness, which is not handled well with only an ON or OFF setting for your backlight.

Modern sets have more discrete backlight controls (the good ones, anyway). So in a scene with, say, a candle in a dark room, the sets are able to configure their backlights in a way that tries to focus on the area with light showing and not so much the dark areas (this is due to breaking things up into dimmable 'zones'). There's still things like light bleed (because the zones can only be so finite) and backlight delay (which causes a measure of ghosting) as they turn on and off. You'll see ads for number of dimming zones, or Full Array Localized Dimming (FALD), with the most cutting edge LED screens employing mini-sized LED for better control. And while there's some limitations in the approach, it also enabled LED/QLED (led sets with Quantum Dot color filters) sets to get very, very bright without affecting the rest of the screen.

OLED is currently the bee's knees in terms of contrast and image quality because each OLED 'pixel' is a light-emitting entity. So that Candle in the Dark scene? Perfect blackness because the image that isn't showing any brightness or color is essentially "off". The trqdeoff here is that the Organic element of OLED is, well, prone to fading over time. So after 10ish years you'll see some drop in both brightness and color accuracy. These sets don't get as bright as LED, so in a brighter room they may not seem all that impressive. The the first gens were prone to image retention and burn-in (mitigated today with more aggressive dimming of static elements and screen refresh cycle). There's also a bug out problem with VRR content that cycles above 120hz/below 24hz (or something, check the actual range) where the gamma goes nuts since the oleds can't cycle that quickly. A fix is supposed to be in the works but meh.

So anyway, look at your budget and use cases. If you're running ForEX graphs 20 hours a day and FOX News 34 hours a day you might not want an OLED because of the dreaded burn-in. If you're just watching YouTube videos and poo poo in the background then a TCL 5-6 series would be fine. Into gaming and a movie buff? An OLED is a great investment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
ok, then, any good pointers to deals on a good OLED TV in the 50 to 60 inch range?

I *am* into gaming but mostly on PC (my current monitor is a 27" ACER XF270hu 2560x 1440 I bought in like 2016; I haven't gone larger because I don't like curved screens).

We mostly use the TV to watch movies and chromecast random british panel shows. But every so often something comes out that I want to watch in as high a quality as can be managed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ok, then, any good pointers to deals on a good OLED TV in the 50 to 60 inch range?

I *am* into gaming but mostly on PC (my current monitor is a 27" ACER XF270hu 2560x 1440 I bought in like 2016; I haven't gone larger because I don't like curved screens).

We mostly use the TV to watch movies and chromecast random british panel shows. But every so often something comes out that I want to watch in as high a quality as can be managed.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-c1-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6453324.p?skuId=6453324

55" LG C1 OLED for $1500. 65" is just a hair out of your budget at $2099. These are awesome for PC gaming too, with gsync/freesync and 120Hz.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

There's not much going in now since we're in the lull working up to Black Friday.

My personal go-to when looking for electronics is checking the Best Buy item page and then seeing what the Open Box prices are. Some of these are Display Models, but some are just damaged box/returns. BB's Geek Squad protection is the most pricey, but it also covers burn in for the length of the protection plan. I've heard the process dealing with service from them is pretty fair (either the tech coordinates the parts and repair or they just cut you a check or provide a replacement).

You can check their price for the Sony Bravia 65" oLED, which would both fit your mounting space and (as it had adjustable footings) your console.. Sony is a little more expensive but has more favorable motion and image processing.

The LG G1 65" has a newer panel with brighter performance for HDR content, but I'd honestly recommend the LG C1 since it's a few hundred cheaper and I think the Gallery View on the G series is a scam.

Eh, looks like year's a bit of a discount now over MSRP, saving a few hundred new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Enos Cabell posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-c1-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6453324.p?skuId=6453324

55" LG C1 OLED for $1500. 65" is just a hair out of your budget at $2099. These are awesome for PC gaming too, with gsync/freesync and 120Hz.

I thought there was a tradeoff with refresh rate and picture quality? I guess OLED solved that problem?

I don't have a GPU that could drive 4k gaming i don't think. I'm using an RX 5600 xt as the best thing I've been able to find for sale. I don't really play fast twitch games any more though, just turn based stuff, so refresh rate probably doesn't matter as much as it did when I had younger eyes.

A new 55 inch gaming suitable TV might solve the problem though neatly. PC is in the living room and routed through the stereo for sound. I'm a little worried though that a screen that mammoth might just be overwhelming to use as an actual PC screen.