Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They regularly run 20% and 30% off coupons, which is like every game being on sale at once

Was about to say this. I regularly still get freebie 10 bucks or 30% coupons and stuff. I hate they don't have a lot of sales but when I do want a title from them theres typically something in my inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Was about to say this. I regularly still get freebie 10 bucks or 30% coupons and stuff. I hate they don't have a lot of sales but when I do want a title from them theres typically something in my inbox.

I wish I understood this system, I think in all my years of using Oculus stuff I've gotten one coupon. I've seen people suggest that if you don't buy anything for a while they send you one but I've gone months without a purchase and not got anything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get enough that I struggle to use them, so I’m not sure how that works

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the quest in-headset stuff goes on sale very often but the oculus PCVR stuff almost never goes on sale. Ironic because the in-headset stuff is insanely easy to pirate while the rift exclusives are generally non-starters wrt ripping off facebook

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get enough that I struggle to use them, so I’m not sure how that works

yeah, I pretty much always have one of these 30% off promo codes, I figured everyone got them at the same time

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
The PCVR Oculus store used to be pretty amazing with the sales, but now yes, it's dead.
The Quest store has sales, but they aren't as impressive as PC's store used to be.

Really shows where Facebook is focusing their time and money.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They regularly run 20% and 30% off coupons, which is like every game being on sale at once

Where can you find these?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I opted out of promotions I’ll have to check my account.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Oculus never putting anything on sale in their lovely store is so frustrating. They are worse than nintendo. Bunch of games I want to try but don't want to pay $40-$60 for something that came out 5 years ago.

Genuine question, but shouldn't this be a factor of whether the game is worth it or not, not how old it is? What about the game being older makes it not worth paying full price for?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That’s kind of a silly question tbh, but we all have our boundaries of what we will pay for something. If I pay full price on a game, it’s because it’s something I’ve been anticipating in advance and want to get in on the ground floor of. If I wasn’t interested in a game at full price the day it came out why would I be interested in paying full price years later? Presumedly this is how most people operate, because sales and price drops are the norm with video games.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I see Audica is on sale on Steam.

I really like Pistol Whip and Soundboxing. How does Audica compare? I'm a little concerned by how extensive the DLC for it is.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lemming posted:

Genuine question, but shouldn't this be a factor of whether the game is worth it or not, not how old it is? What about the game being older makes it not worth paying full price for?

The value of a game includes not only how fun it is to play but also I think can reasonably be broken down into how well it showcases new technology, how much fun it is to be part of the discussion around it with friends on release, and the premium related to that for not 'missing out' on the new game. Because older games only have the intrinsic value of how fun it is and not necessarily the other stuff it seems appropriate that they're cheaper. Old movies are cheaper, old roller coasters are cheaper, etc.

e: I find it so fascinating how many people like music rhythm games in VR or otherwise. I installed beat sabre and played it twice and felt like I kinda 'got it' and wanted to see the more creative explorations of the medium.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 8, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LLSix posted:

I really like Pistol Whip and Soundboxing. How does Audica compare? I'm a little concerned by how extensive the DLC for it is.

I thought I was gonna like Audica a lot more than I did. It just didn’t feel as natural to pick up and play as stuff like beat saber and pistol whip.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

That’s kind of a silly question tbh, but we all have our boundaries of what we will pay for something. If I pay full price on a game, it’s because it’s something I’ve been anticipating in advance and want to get in on the ground floor of. If I wasn’t interested in a game at full price the day it came out why would I be interested in paying full price years later? Presumedly this is how most people operate, because sales and price drops are the norm with video games.

I guess what got me about it is calling it "frustrating"; like, they're selling the game at the price point they think reflects the value of the game. I think it's odd to be frustrated that the devs think the game is more valuable than you do. I feel like the process of selling a game at a high price for a short period of time and then slashing the price reflects a game that is fundamentally lovely, and relying on the cycle of releasing a new piece of garbage every so often is a pretty crappy status quo, so I really prefer the idea of only making the games that are worth playing and then not dropping their price immediately, since the value of the game is there and makes it worth getting.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LLSix posted:

Its my favorite music game anymore. Its got a huge skill cap.

Theres custom stuff too. Warning though. Depending on taste of music and who mapped it, it might be E+++++++++

Lots of good lower end stuff tho. I'm still not quite a super pew pew guy in the high end but some of it is wild.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought I was gonna like Audica a lot more than I did. It just didn’t feel as natural to pick up and play as stuff like beat saber and pistol whip.

Theres some things that are HIGHLY recommended to setup now that helps. Melee speed for example, crank it up. In fact, most alerts/notifications/stuff you'll wanna speed up. It forces you to reflex stuff like that.

Also, unless you know a song really well, sometimes timing don't make sense. Its really awkward when you don't know a song at all and its a semi hard map.

100% get how you feel though. This was me when it launched then they did a poo poo ton of updates based on some feedback from a good chunk of people and its really good these days. I'd give it another go if you bailed when it was newer. If not, tinker with the settings a bit. I only learned about that stuff thanks to streaming at the time and audica community being really friendly.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 8, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are there custom maps for pistol whip?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

I feel like the process of selling a game at a high price for a short period of time and then slashing the price reflects a game that is fundamentally lovely, and relying on the cycle of releasing a new piece of garbage every so often is a pretty crappy status quo, so I really prefer the idea of only making the games that are worth playing and then not dropping their price immediately, since the value of the game is there and makes it worth getting.

It's not the game itself that drives the price down, it's competing against newer titles being released after it. That and good old limited retail shelf space that has to be cleared for new stock. PCVR just doesn't have anywhere close to the same influx of new titles on a monthly basis compared to regular gaming.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bad Munki posted:

Are there custom maps for pistol whip?

Not officially. There are a few guides on google about how to swap in new songs for the existing levels though. And the devs add new sets of songs fairly frequently. They recently added a set of 5 new songs/levels for a Western campaign that is just a tremendous amount of fun. Feels a lot like any of the spaghetti westerns I grew up watching with my dad.

And it's a fair question. It's one of the games I've had the most fun with but my play time is only 8 hours. It's a really good cardio experience so it's rare for me to play more than half an hour at a time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, Smoke & Thunder was ace, I just want moooooooore 😕

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Audica is amazing but it's a more difficult 'language' to learn on higher difficulties thab a lot of vr rhythm where it's more about getting the movements right than reading notes. It's basically a cross between guitar hero and elite beat agents except you shoot instead of tap.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get enough that I struggle to use them, so Im not sure how that works

Weird, I've only gotten two coupons in the almost year i've had a Quest, one back in like April and one last month in August. I always just buy from Steam and play through Virtual Desktop unless it's an Oculus exclusive or something I want to play multiplayer that doesn't have crossplay though.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Started playing Until You Fall again after not touching it since the Quest 1 days and noticed something really strange. It doesn’t seem to utilize the gyroscopic prediction at all. If your controllers aren’t in view of the cameras, they don’t exist.

Feels really bad with “big swing” weapons like the axe when half the time you end up teleporting your weapon from one side of the screen to the other thanks to the slight delay when the camera picks up tracking again.

I don’t recall this happening on the original Quest (maybe it did) and it doesn’t happen at all in PCVR where I assume the oculus driver is handling tracking. It’s like the original quest port is using some weird tracking API that’s totally different from every other game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tip posted:

I wish I understood this system, I think in all my years of using Oculus stuff I've gotten one coupon. I've seen people suggest that if you don't buy anything for a while they send you one but I've gone months without a purchase and not got anything.

Been using my Rift for ages and I don't have a single coupon, as far as I'm aware at least.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, Smoke & Thunder was ace, I just want moooooooore 😕

The only issue I have with that campaign is that it seems to have been deliberately designed for two guns instead of one, unlike the rest of the game.
Or at the very least the third song is very awkward with one gun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

True, it's how I bought the last one, Demeo .

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

The only issue I have with that campaign is that it seems to have been deliberately designed for two guns instead of one, unlike the rest of the game.

Doesn’t it straight up say it was intended for dual wielding somewhere?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It does, when you start it up it says something about it, and yeah the back half of that seems completely impossible if you're trying to one gun it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

VelociBacon posted:

Oh my god I hadn't even thought of that. Do you still use mouse and keyboard in VR for Elite: Dangerous?

If you get a nice HOTAS setup it's the best VR game. My friend has a motion racing sim rig and I played it in that and it was mind blowing

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are you even able to use one gun in Smoke & Thunder? I was dual wielding the entire time and didn't change a single setting, although I do have the game set to dual wield as standard, so maybe that was it. It just feels weird to keep one hand out of the action, way less satisfying.

But I just started 2086 and that began with one gun, so I assumed that Smoke & Thunder defaults to dual wielding.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jack Trades posted:

I play the entire game exclusively dual wielding, it’s so awesome and I feel like I’m wasting half my output with anything less.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If you get a nice HOTAS setup it's the best VR game. My friend has a motion racing sim rig and I played it in that and it was mind blowing
HOSAS if you want to feel like a true space master

What sort of motion rig are we talking about? Is motion compensation a thing in steamvr now?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are you even able to use one gun in Smoke & Thunder? I was dual wielding the entire time and didn't change a single setting, although I do have the game set to dual wield as standard, so maybe that was it. It just feels weird to keep one hand out of the action, way less satisfying.

But I just started 2086 and that began with one gun, so I assumed that Smoke & Thunder defaults to dual wielding.

If you play either of the campaigns in campaign mode, you have to use the guns you are give (so yeah, duel wield for Smoke and Thunder). Once you've beaten each chapter it's available through arcade mode and you can play with whatever guns and modifiers you like.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Bad Munki posted:

I play the entire game exclusively dual wielding, it’s so awesome and I feel like I’m wasting half my output with anything less.

HOSAS if you want to feel like a true space master

What sort of motion rig are we talking about? Is motion compensation a thing in steamvr now?

6 axis and the degree of motion isn'tvery large but even small movements have a huge impact in VR, the rig is handled with its own software and is mostly for mimicking like the back end of a car slipping out on tight corners but is also compatible with flight sims. Incredibly immersive.

As for motion compensation it's not really needed as all it's simulating is being in a chair inside of a vehicle that's tilting around. I guess there's a few companies that make full 360 degree simulators but those aren't feasible for anyone other than like the military because they only lease them in the 6 figures per year.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 8, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Curious how much it moves. Like, if I floor it in my space ship, I’d expect it to rotate me toward laying on my back, just so I can feel the push, but without motion compensation I’m going to be looking toward my toes to see forward, which is unfortunate. Unless the actual movement is subtle enough to not really notice the change in angle, which I imagine it might be, since it probably takes fairly little to have a huge impact on your senses.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Glagha posted:

It does, when you start it up it says something about it, and yeah the back half of that seems completely impossible if you're trying to one gun it.

I beat all the songs on Normal with one gun and it's only the third song that felt unnatural enough to make me fail on my first attempt.
I totally missed the message about dual-wielding.

Bad Munki posted:

I like the extra accuracy you get from gripping one controller with both hands, plus it feels cooler.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

chippy posted:

If you play either of the campaigns in campaign mode, you have to use the guns you are give (so yeah, duel wield for Smoke and Thunder). Once you've beaten each chapter it's available through arcade mode and you can play with whatever guns and modifiers you like.

When I played the campaign I didn't even have my second controller active, which is why I didn't realize that, lol.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

Been using my Rift for ages and I don't have a single coupon, as far as I'm aware at least.

If you use an email where it might be dumping stuff into a promotions or spam folder without you knowing it, search for "OCULUS30" and see if anything comes up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

If you use an email where it might be dumping stuff into a promotions or spam folder without you knowing it, search for "OCULUS30" and see if anything comes up

Nope, nothing.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Maybe it's not available in Europe, I got nothing either

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I'm in Europe and have had it a few times. It seems pretty random.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

Nope, nothing.

that's really weird

Like, just to show you I'm not kidding about how often I get these:

about every two months, like clockwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GTO posted:

I'm in Europe and have had it a few times. It seems pretty random.

Me too. Although not as many as Starkravingmad, drat!