Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

pulaski sucks but crusher is a complete void of personality. still, a void suits the show better than an rear end in a top hat.
That's more on the writers, because with both Troi and Crusher they rarely had any good things for them to do. The best Crusher episode would be what, Remember Me? Which is not as good as Face of the Enemy for Troi when she is a Romulan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 hours!)

nah, i like remember me way more than face of the enemy. it's one of my favourite episodes, but it's really got nothing to do with crusher. could've been any character in that situation and it would have been good. thank gently caress they did give it to her though because she's got nothing else. troi at least gets episodes, even if they're bad - although i like that one where she thinks she killed worf, too. the ghost one.

i like beverly. she's a classy lady.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I stand by my statemnt Pulaski is better than Crusher. Better actor as well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Find me a photo of Diana Muldaur on a unicycle and we'll talk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pulaski acted opposite of young Arnold Schwarzenegger and survived his ham.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Endless Trash posted:

S1E13 Cathexis is another example. Chakotay’s consciousness is flying around the ship and the process by which they reintegrate his consciousness back into his body is by having The Doctor…reintegrate his consciousness back into his body. He just, uh, does it.

I find the technobabble in voyager - especially season 1 - to be awful. They wanted to show belanna and Janeway nerding out, but it felt like word salad. Like, as a technical person who uses jargon, there’s like, a rhythm and method to the madness. It felt like
They just threw a bunch of poo poo in there and shrugged.

Like, clearly the deflector can be used for whatever the gently caress, but nobody writing seems to know what a relay actually does or anything. It feels like a show should have a tech bible that at least outlines what each piece of magic is so you can make up consistent recipes. God this is embarrassing to post fuuuuck

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pulaski's Android racism got old fast. They should've had her show in Picard so she could act justified.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I find the technobabble in voyager - especially season 1 - to be awful. They wanted to show belanna and Janeway nerding out, but it felt like word salad. Like, as a technical person who uses jargon, there’s like, a rhythm and method to the madness. It felt like
They just threw a bunch of poo poo in there and shrugged.

Like, clearly the deflector can be used for whatever the gently caress, but nobody writing seems to know what a relay actually does or anything. It feels like a show should have a tech bible that at least outlines what each piece of magic is so you can make up consistent recipes. God this is embarrassing to post fuuuuck

Didn't TNG have a science nerd guy who they'd run :techno: past and he'd be like "Yeah that sounds like science"?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hated Pulaski, she got abrasive and tiresome fast and I don’t appreciate trying to rehash stuff. Love Gates and Crusher. I agree it’s on the writers not giving her much to do.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also voting Crusher over Pulaski.

That being said I would rather see Pulaski guest star on Lower Decks than Crusher.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh she’s 83 well guess that ship’s about to sail.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I gotta say that after Picard and Discovery, Voyager and Enterprise are practically masterpieces. Even a ho hum episode of Voyager is better than the best Discovery ep I’ve ever seen.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Crusher won my heart in The Nakked Now anyway. Also pulaski was just being a bigot and clearly they were trying to do Bones Mk II, The Bonesening and missed.

Like how you gonna bring in a new actress, who gets paid more than most the rest of the crew, and have her entire thing be "I'm an idiot and I distrust one of the most popular characters on the show"

roomtone posted:

troi at least gets episodes, even if they're bad - although i like that one where she thinks she killed worf, too. the ghost one.

The one where she does the command test is nice because she clearly just buckles down and refers to her training and it sees her through.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

He wouldn't have joined starfleet, but there are plenty of non-uniformed service workers on the Enterprise. He could have worked in 10-forward. Why? To get a lift to a better planet, or away from a planet where he was no longer welcome.

True, and he could of easily taken over Guinan's job of being a better counselor then Troi

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Applewhite posted:

I gotta say that after Picard and Discovery, Voyager and Enterprise are practically masterpieces. Even a ho hum episode of Voyager is better than the best Discovery ep I’ve ever seen.

Yeah the best episodes of Discovery have like 5 minutes that make me think they're going to do Star Trek now! And then don't.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Bones Mk II, The Bonesening

But enough about Riker's dad

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't TNG have a science nerd guy who they'd run :techno: past and he'd be like "Yeah that sounds like science"?

Ha more than that, the writers would write “[tech]” and then pass the script on to the technobabble guy to fill those parts in for them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusher's loving great when she actually has something to do. Picard is all "Oh nooooo I'm going to be morally tortured over something slightly ambiguous before deciding to do the right thing" and Crusher is just "gently caress that poo poo. The right thing is the right thing. gently caress you, do what's right." And she's fantastic when she gets determined about something. They just so rarely gave her good stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 7, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pulaski was racist against androids for like two episodes. After that anytime she was interacting with Data and questioning him she was actually doing it to help him grow

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I can't even bring myself to even start Season 3 of Discovery.

I'll probably watch Season 2 of Picard just as a hate-watch. That one's so bad it's fascinating.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gutcruncher posted:

Ha more than that, the writers would write “[tech]” and then pass the script on to the technobabble guy to fill those parts in for them.

It was usually LeVar Burton, wasn't it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lowen SoDium posted:

It was usually LeVar Burton, wasn't it?

Fun fact, he actually created a working model of the warp drive in his home to become more familiar with its components and increase the verisimilitude of his performance

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I've noticed with season 4 of Enterprise is they get a lot more casual with offing crewmembers. Up until late-season 3 it's a BIG deal when someone dies, and for all of season 3's failings it's a pretty well earned shock when nearly a quarter of the crew gets offed at once in the Azati Prime attack and few more besides from taking on the Xindi Weapon. Season 4, however, gets into the more familiar Star Trek disposition of "Oh poo poo, a Redshirt MAKO/Crewman died... oh well, Movie Night?..." with just about at least one fatality per episode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gatts posted:

Hated Pulaski, she got abrasive and tiresome fast and I don’t appreciate trying to rehash stuff. Love Gates and Crusher. I agree it’s on the writers not giving her much to do.

What about great scenes like, "Crusher and Troi beat bad guys with pots in the Robin Hood holodeck game while everyone else gets real weapons"? or "Talk about our boobs" in one of the movies?

Or this poo poo:

Side note, love how they just decided to redress a hallway set for that.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 7, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite aspect of early tng production is the clearly visible black paper they put over all the screens at the back of the bridge because it caused a glare while filming.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Captain's Holiday is easily top 3 Picard episodes with Inner Light being the number 1

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Captain's Holiday is easily top 3 Picard episodes with Inner Light being the number 1

Inner Light? more like Inner Cry.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hollismason posted:

The beginning of "Picard needs to gently caress more"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

infernal machines posted:

The beginning of "Picard needs to gently caress more"

Star Trek: an old man's strange, erotic journey from LaBarre to space

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain's Holiday is good for a while but then the treasure hunt is a bit dull, they should've just kept on with the comedy of ridiculousness while the captain just wants to read his drat book and not have to deal with time travelling aliens or *shudder* sexy women trying to have sex with him while the interruptions just keep one-upping.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

riker gives picard a horghan as a joke although you know riker didnt wash it beforehand

even better is when ds9 goes to risa quark gives his horghans to everyone except worf

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think they just hangout, it's not like a buttplug. But I guess you never know.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite aspect of early tng production is the clearly visible black paper they put over all the screens at the back of the bridge because it caused a glare while filming.

First season TNG set design, especially on planets is just precious. Welcome to planet blue background with houseplants 2.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I always think of Captain's Holiday as the one with the least pleasurable backpacks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd just have a backpack that hovered and followed me around, what's the point of being in the future otherwise.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

excuse me, his name is data

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The General posted:

I think they just hangout, it's not like a buttplug. But I guess you never know.

Intent vs. use

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What if... our Risian fertility demoness... joined us...?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
there's gotta be a mass scale industrial complex to deal with STDs on Risa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hollismason posted:

there's gotta be a mass scale industrial complex to deal with STDs on Risa