Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

scary ghost dog posted:

the holy mountain

that's a tall movie tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Parkingtigers posted:

I’d honestly never heard The Matrix described in these “event movie” terms until… huh, this thread really. Back in the day it was just talk about the movie itself, not the experience of seeing it. Now I’m curious if that would have improved my perception of it.

I heard there were issues with the colour grading on some home releases. If I watch it in 2021, which version should I be looking for/avoiding to get the best experience?

Ok now I'm just not convinced you actually were alive during that time.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I remember a kid bringing the matrix VHS into our English class to show the teacher on the last day of school in July 2000 maybe, because we all thought it was the most mind-blowing film ever. We watched the first hour on one of those old CRT screens on a trolley and he said it's just Alice in Wonderland, it's nothing new. Bummer!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw the matrix in theaters when I was 8 years old and it was so fuckin cool. I spent and hour talking to my dad after about how we could be batteries right now.

Very deep conversations for my brain at the time.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'd have been more impressed with the Matrix if it didn't lift the concept wholesale from the Doctor Who story "The Deadly Assassin."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfzigMhTPhI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s okay that things are similar. All that matters was how it was done.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Matrix is really just Descartes’ Meditations but a story. And god is squid robots.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Having repeated scenes makes sense in a story where they are going through loops over and over again

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Matrix is really just Descartes’ Meditations but a story. And god is squid robots.

No that's Mass Effect.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

has anyone said the matrix is the invisibles yet

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'll be in the camp that I didn't know how big it was (the experience in theaters) until fairly recently either, specifically because I was 8 and cared about the new Star Wars much more. I did become obsessed with seeing the sequels though because 12 year olds in 2003 loved nu-metal and boy does The Matrix Reloaded have some in it.

Obligatory

https://twitter.com/juicelessadriel/status/1435278162393456641?s=19

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kiimo posted:

There's a King Kong with unchecked Peter Jackson lesson here

Peter Jackson's King Kong is incredible! 😡

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Peter Jackson's King Kong is incredible! 😡

It’s at least 45 minutes too long and just about every scene stretches on, especially the bugs and the ridiculous ice scene. Same poo poo with the Hobbit movies, none of which I have ever made it to the end of.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Fried Watermelon posted:

Having repeated scenes makes sense in a story where they are going through loops over and over again

Not looking forward to the Matrix: The Force Awakens tbh.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Electronico6 posted:

Saw someone on twitter talking about we might have a Metal Gear Solid 2 situation here and that would be really funny.

That would be astounding.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dillbag posted:

I piss on Alfonso Cuarón for collecting an editing Oscar when I have it on good authority that Nolan busted him for not actually operating the Avid at all, just sitting behind the editor and telling him what to cut (i.e. directing).
How is telling someone what to cut and what to keep not editing?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Looks, you end your movie with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzqUe1Qfec

And you're gonna be worshipped as one of the greatest movies of all time.

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTL4qIIxg8A

It was Tony -- it was.

Watching Trinity use nmap to find the exploit to get into the system at the start, was a bit of a nerd at the time, pretty drat awesome. Follow it up with the "Guns, more guns" bit then go to the lobby scene - yeah, the Matrix hit all the right notes.

~humans as batteries~ was a bit stupid but I could easily ignore that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

It’s at least 45 minutes too long and just about every scene stretches on, especially the bugs and the ridiculous ice scene. Same poo poo with the Hobbit movies, none of which I have ever made it to the end of.

S K U L L
I S L A N D

PJ's KK had some great setpieces and took ages to get there. Really didn't feel the need to edit out the one sailor kid's backstory that went nowhere?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Everything at the island was great but I wasn't a fan of them having ice skating in Central Park

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rabelais D posted:

I remember a kid bringing the matrix VHS into our English class to show the teacher on the last day of school in July 2000 maybe, because we all thought it was the most mind-blowing film ever. We watched the first hour on one of those old CRT screens on a trolley and he said it's just Alice in Wonderland, it's nothing new. Bummer!

drat your English teacher was smart, how did he identify the Alice in wonderland parallels in a movie that features with several characters comparing the scenario to Alice in wonderland

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

Meanwhile I saw Matrix for the first time in a 9th grade Finnish class where the teacher brought the VHS in herself because she had loved it and figured we would too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL9aJcqrtnw

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

How is telling someone what to cut and what to keep not editing?

That's directing. The craft is much more nuanced than just selecting shots. There's timing, pacing, a huge amount of technical work on a VFX heavy show like that, etc.. It's like telling your star what lines to say and how to act in front of the camera, and then getting your name on the best actor/actress Oscar.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

That's directing. The craft is much more nuanced than just selecting shots. There's timing, pacing, a huge amount of technical work on a VFX heavy show like that, etc.. It's like telling your star what lines to say and how to act in front of the camera, and then getting your name on the best actor/actress Oscar.

Yeah the craft of editing and what they actually contribute gets criminally overlooked. They aren't just the hands for a director.

Here's a really fun oral history that includes some great stories of Paul Hirsch's career. Must read for anyone that loves movies

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SC4P28Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_GSW74N4KDXGWDGK04HDX

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Last Night in Soho, trailer number 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcVnFrxjPjI

This one makes me less excited to see the movie. Should've only released the first one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Interesting. I'm way more into that than the first trailer. Still, I skipped around because it's a movie I don't really need to be sold on and would rather go in as blind as I can manage.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kassad posted:

You could make a film about just that episode.

old post but here's first hand account of the wonder that is Empires of the Deep: https://magazine.atavist.com/sunk/

It all started with the Wolf Witch. In the spring of 2007, the actress Cassandra Gava, who is best known for playing the Wolf Witch in Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Conan the Barbarian, made inquires in Hollywood on behalf of a Chinese producer: Screenwriter wanted. Must like mermaids.

By the time Lawrence signed on, Jiang had appointed himself casting director and hired an agency in Los Angeles to find candidates for the leads. Lawrence attended the casting sessions and sent his picks to Jiang, who made the final decisions, sometimes based solely on their photographs or brief audition videos. The part of Aka, the mermaid princess, would be played by a young actress named Shi Yanfei, who had little acting experience and hardly spoke English but happened to be Jiang’s girlfriend.

Lawrence also seems stupid as poo poo in this? He added a kid to make the hero more likeable, gross

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

I didn’t see Vice but I really feel like Adam McKay is a fraud. This feels like American Hustle all over again.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I hated Vice so much I almost walked out of the theater. Looking forward to half the cast breaking the 4th wall to explain metaphors to me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Big Short was fantastic though?

Also Leo is starting to look like his Russian lookalike these days

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

The Big Short was fantastic though?

Yeah I genuinely love The Big Short. But I get the feeling not a lot of people around here do.

For a movie about what it's about, it shouldn't be as rewatchable as it is, but I watch it all the time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fun fact I worked in mortgages out of college for like three years during that crazy time. I was explaining all the poo poo that went on at a bar over shots for like two hours to some guy that turned out to be Adam McKay about two years before that movie came out.

So I have a soft place in my heart for it since I consider myself an exec producer lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have no idea what this is about, it's such a terrible trailer. But it made me aware that Lawrence and DiCaprio are in a Netflix film so.. maybe I'll watch it? Guess it did its job.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Netflix churns out trailers faster than just about any studio, they're kind of known for half-assing them

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It looks like a disaster movie where all the people who could do something are the mayor from Jaws.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

David Sirota helped write this?!?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Adam McKay basing movies on "interesting stuff he heard a guy at a bar talk about once" actually makes a lot of sense
"Woah so tell me more about this abscam thing, i got a fake movie to direct."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It was more about NINA loans, which are no income, no asset loans. For a slightly higher rate we'll give you a mortgage without sourcing or researching...anything.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Em4ckh878

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

It was more about NINA loans, which are no income, no asset loans. For a slightly higher rate we'll give you a mortgage without sourcing or researching...anything.

Feels like alot of ppl were talking about this at the time