Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Black Pants posted:

Also I've been doing thieves guild and dark brotherhood stuff instead of actually leveling, because One World or whatever it was called means I need to decide for myself where to quest and what quests to do. Which is a pretty overwhelming choice, heh.

I really dug the Thieves questline, and Dark Brotherhood wasn't bad (dope costume reward), but both suffer from 'okay now grind the repeatables to gain faction to unlock the next quest". That said, there's some efficient ways to do that:

Thieves: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/6iovsx/the_most_ridiculous_and_fast_way_to_level_thieves/ Short version is you only do 1 type of repeatable, and keep abandoning until you get it. This works stupidly well.

Dark Brotherhood: Just do the killing spree ones. Abandon until you get it. There's some addons to automate it if you want.

As someone who also gets overwhelmed with MUST DO ALL THE THINGS AAHHH, here's some tips on how I dealt with it:

1. You can abandon quests whenever, because you can always get them back later.
2. Use the "Quest Map" addon if you want to see icons on the map. Now you won't feel like "oh man I'll never find this one again"
3. Do whatever you feel like! And if you get bored, change! It's fine!

So for me, I finally quit fighting the 25 quest limit, and picked a zone I wanted to do. I abandoned basically everything else. I focused on that zone, and just enjoyed it. I mix in a few daily things (Undaunted delve, daily random dungeon, maybe pledges if some of my friends want to run them, event ticket stuff when that's going on and I feel like it). I do side quests basically based on how I'm feeling, knowing I can always find them easily later.

I also tend to do stuff "around where I already am". Like I had a quest send me to some delves around the world. So I picked up quests that go with those delves (which always start right outside it or inside it), do those at the same time, make sure to kill the delve boss, get the skyshard, etc.

What sounds more interesting to you? Doing the main quest for your alliance? Then go do that! That getting boring, but Summerset looks really pretty? Then swap over! No harm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Just picked this up again and would like an invite to the guild (NA) on my Nightblade Diziett. Cheers!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Serenity Dove posted:

Just picked this up again and would like an invite to the guild (NA) on my Nightblade Diziett. Cheers!
Tells me you're already in the guild. Guilds are account based, so if you were in there before you'd still be there.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am confused, I have a glyph of hardening but I can’t enchant my main hand and I can’t figure out why. I am using two staves and it will let me use the enchant on my back bar weapon but not the main one.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

remigious posted:

I am confused, I have a glyph of hardening but I can’t enchant my main hand and I can’t figure out why. I am using two staves and it will let me use the enchant on my back bar weapon but not the main one.
Are they the same level? Weapon/armor must be at or above glyph level.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are they the same level? Weapon/armor must be at or above glyph level.

Oh, that must be it! Thank you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I want to make a tank once I get up to higher levels, but I'd also like to be able to do solo world content without too much fuss. Is it reasonable to just get all the skills and gear for both tank and solo damage? Seems like you'd have some trouble with attributes and champion points without constantly respeccing

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StashAugustine posted:

I want to make a tank once I get up to higher levels, but I'd also like to be able to do solo world content without too much fuss. Is it reasonable to just get all the skills and gear for both tank and solo damage? Seems like you'd have some trouble with attributes and champion points without constantly respeccing
Yes it's reasonable. Doubly so if you're ok with your solo damage being not as good as it could be but still more than enough to do the solo content.

Gear: Anyone can get and wear any gear, no issue besides the extra cost/grind of a second set of gear
Skills: There are enough skill points in the game to get every skill. Maybe not every morph on top, but still shouldn't be an issue. You may, depending on your builds, need to switch morphs but that's pretty cheap. If you do it make sure you choose respec morph not skills. There's rarely a reason to respec your actual skills.
Attributes: This is what will make you suboptimal, but eh, it's not a big deal, you can compensate with food. If you make a tank build then just use mag/stam food and maybe glyphs and it'll be fine.
CP: At low CP it doesn't really matter, at high CP you can get everything. In the middle (where most people are) you might be sacrificing a bit of one but again, it's not worth respeccing, just accept the reduced damage. Eventually you may want to swap slottables but that's free.

The only thing your solo damage deficiency will be felt will be on is world bosses or arenas, and your tankiness will help survive them so it's probably a worthwhile tradeoff. Most solo builds aren't pure DPS anyway, a pure DPS is too squishy for the actual hard solo content and their DPS is overkill for the content that doesn't put them in danger.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

My first character is a nightblade, and I've gotten them to 50, and started working on getting towards CP160 (at 125 now).

Since I didn't want to "waste" time grinding out CP levels while I don't have enlightenment, I've started alts of the other classes, and it seems like it's really depressing how most of them out of the gate seem miles better than Nightblade. Things that I had carefully planned to set up buff synergies for NB, they just... get, and now every time I log on to my main I feel like I'm in an uphill battle and a drag on any dungeon group I join.

Is there any advice or tips people can provide for rekindling the flame in my heart for this class?

Edit: I'm also not sure how many of my problems are exascerbated by latency. Since the only servers are in NA or Europe, and I play from Oceania, I average about 200 ping at all times.

Brain In A Jar fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 8, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How long is 12,000 alliance points going to take to farm up? :/

I'm trying to grab Cyrodiil's Crest gloves and so far as I can tell, no merchants have them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

How long is 12,000 alliance points going to take to farm up? :/

I'm trying to grab Cyrodiil's Crest gloves and so far as I can tell, no merchants have them.
One battleground should get you there, might need 2 if you're unlucky with the group.

You could also just do the daily quest in the right hub for them

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

StashAugustine posted:

Tbh you don't need respecs or separate gear set for dps unless you just get a huge boner from being able to kill a thing ~2 seconds faster than the next guy~. Overworld things melt even in tank gear, although you'll most likely want to swap sword and board out when soloing. On my latest tank I use eternal vigor, leeching plate and a monster set (I forget the name, the one that spawns a dwemer centurion to increase stamina and magicka) for both overworld soloing and dungeon tanking and it's doing the job great. Soloing wb's and soloable dungeons with the setup is also no problem.

Leeching plate is a set I give a massive recommendation for a soloing tank. It also drops in Imperial City Prison which is a pretty easy dungeon to tank and farm.

All that said, I do use a healing/dps companion which adds a bit speed to killing bosses.

e: Engine Guardian is the monster set I use. What can I say, I like having stamina and magicka :v:

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 8, 2021

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I was reading up on some strategy stuff for vet dungeons.
Do all classes need to do the bar switching every 12 seconds or so, or just night blade?
Or is that even a thing now?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Think all swap bars yes, you just miss too much by not having a pile of buffs or separate ranged/melee etc at backbar.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I know no one cares about my thoughts on 4 year old MMO content, but here it comes anyways!

Finished Morrowind over the weekend! Going first person and "immersion mode", and playing it more like an Elder Scrolls game (aside from dungeons), was definitely a good move. Morrowind was really enjoyable. The main quest was about what you expect, but fun, and I really enjoyed the brief bit where things are really going to poo poo.

Some of the side quests were great. Most of them were at least good. I enjoyed the story in all of them, and it was nice how most of them are about the regional politics and the houses fighting. The witch versus the nord was fun - I assume that was kind of a nod to an old Morrowind quest where you don't know who is lying? It's not the same at all, but the start kind of felt like it.

I got a little annoyed during Vos. I dug the story, but it had a lot hoofing it back and forth between places that were a little spread out. So just felt a little tedious towards the end.

Got through the main Clockwork City quest last night (since they fixed the bug). It was alright overall, but the part with the crows was awesome. I want a whole expansion where we help the Blackfeather clan destroy the Exarchs (or at least keep shoo'ing them away). Apparently there's a couple of quests with them in Stonefalls too, but it looks pretty short. Oh and some in Blackwood? Still not buying it yet.

I do enjoy mixing in sidequests - it's nice when you're not always saving the world from mass extinction the entire time. It still feels trite though that ONLY YOU can solve everyone's problems. Like "I can't find my spouse! They're lost in the woods!" and it's literally a 15 second run to find them. Or in CWC they talk about a dangerous pilgramage, and, well, the zone isn't that big, heh.

The false choices have worn thin, though. None of them matter. There's a few sparse good ones where depending on what you decide, later on you'll see some interaction in town if you make one choice over another, or something. Kind of like a final cutscene. That's cool. But most of them are "make this big decision on who dies" and it doesn't matter because you'll never see them again. You get the same reward. There's stuff like, early in Morrowind, a sopt where you help one of the houses, and if you make a certain choice to help them more, you get a comment like "You've been very useful to us. We may call on you in the future..." and nothing ever happens. That's the end of it. Just lots of fake choices all the time that are super interesting places to build something, but nope, online game, it all dies right then.

I get it, it's part of the nature of modern MMOs. To make it interesting, you have to be solving real problems. Big zones with nothing in them would make the requests make more sense from the NPCs, but be more boring ultimately. Since it's an online persistent game, it's hard to have choices matter, because people will complain about balance or being locked out of something later.

Feels like those are things that would be interesting to find solutions for though.

Anyways - Morrowind very good, CWC alright but with at least one quest series that's now one of my favorite parts of the game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Post poste posted:

Do all classes need to do the bar switching every 12 seconds or so, or just night blade?

I know alcast has some one-bar builds, and they're probably fine for open world stuff, and probably also passable enough on like, random normal dungeons (esp if it's base content and not DLC dungeons).

But no matter what, you'll be less powerful. The game is meant for you to be switching weapons. I don't think classes are as rigid as "12 seconds", but it'll be whenever you need to put back up your buffs, or lay down your AOE / dots, or whatever. There's probably other builds that use front/back bar for other reasons, but I think that's the most common setup.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
You brought up some good points about the illusion of choice in quests. I was thinking about this the other day, both this game and FFXIV I can do a bit of questing and listening and reading everything but after a short amount of time I just reach a point of “get on with it already”. It’s not that it’s not interesting, there were a few quests in Morrowind I loved and some cutscenes from FFXIV still stick with me. It is just such a passive experience.

I realized after reflecting on this that I enjoyed doing story quests a ton in SWTOR because at least you can alter the dialogue a bit more and have an impact. It felt more like a game than watching a TV show.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Post poste posted:

Necromancer switches every 3-4 GCDs :cthulhu:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Brain In A Jar posted:

My first character is a nightblade, and I've gotten them to 50, and started working on getting towards CP160 (at 125 now).

Since I didn't want to "waste" time grinding out CP levels while I don't have enlightenment, I've started alts of the other classes, and it seems like it's really depressing how most of them out of the gate seem miles better than Nightblade. Things that I had carefully planned to set up buff synergies for NB, they just... get, and now every time I log on to my main I feel like I'm in an uphill battle and a drag on any dungeon group I join.

Is there any advice or tips people can provide for rekindling the flame in my heart for this class?

Edit: I'm also not sure how many of my problems are exascerbated by latency. Since the only servers are in NA or Europe, and I play from Oceania, I average about 200 ping at all times.

I’ve played a Stamina Nightblade since I started back in 2014 or whatever, and I love it. Other classes just aren’t the same to me. I love murderizing stuff, and having the option to go stealth whenever I don’t feel like dealing with something. I’ve always preferred melee classes though so maybe it’s just me.

I use 2h/bow and things just completely melt but it took a while to really figure out how to play. I’ve heard Nightblade has a steeper learning curve than other classes and I totally believe it. My magsorc is a million times easier to play to get the same results.

I also don’t really worry about buffs that much and mostly focus on keeping up my dots during fights, solo content or normal dungeons aren’t challenging enough to worry about that sort of thing.

What kind of build do you use?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

xZAOx posted:

I know alcast has some one-bar builds, and they're probably fine for open world stuff, and probably also passable enough on like, random normal dungeons (esp if it's base content and not DLC dungeons).

But no matter what, you'll be less powerful. The game is meant for you to be switching weapons. I don't think classes are as rigid as "12 seconds", but it'll be whenever you need to put back up your buffs, or lay down your AOE / dots, or whatever. There's probably other builds that use front/back bar for other reasons, but I think that's the most common setup.

A little clarification - you can put the same kind of weapon in both slots if you don't want to weapon swap. Then put the rest of the weapon abilities you couldn't fit on the back bar. I mean, yeah, it's technically swapping, but it doesn't really feel like it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, most of the one-bar builds I've seen are like "so, this'll work. Now if you want to kill stuff way faster, here's what you add on your second bar"

I find the weapon switching thing really clunky and I wonder how much of it was a concession to wanting the game to be controller-friendly. I wish if you were keyboard/mouse, you could just have all of your stuff on one bar and it'd auto-switch for you. But at this point, I've gotten used to it enough that it's second nature, at least on the braindead magsorc build I'm using.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I met the Duke of Crows outside a Delve in Blackwood last night and he's my new favourite character, sorry Abnur.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

kirbysuperstar posted:

I met the Duke of Crows outside a Delve in Blackwood last night and he's my new favourite character, sorry Abnur.

The crows show up here and there in the main story and DLC, they're all great.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

That's not how you spell Razum-dar.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah that's what I mentioned in my novel above. They have a nice section in the main clockwork city questline. It's awesome.

They have dailies there too, probably have to unlock them first.

He's up there with Raz, Caldwell, and the Augur.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I’ve played a Stamina Nightblade since I started back in 2014 or whatever, and I love it. Other classes just aren’t the same to me. I love murderizing stuff, and having the option to go stealth whenever I don’t feel like dealing with something. I’ve always preferred melee classes though so maybe it’s just me.

I use 2h/bow and things just completely melt but it took a while to really figure out how to play. I’ve heard Nightblade has a steeper learning curve than other classes and I totally believe it. My magsorc is a million times easier to play to get the same results.

I also don’t really worry about buffs that much and mostly focus on keeping up my dots during fights, solo content or normal dungeons aren’t challenging enough to worry about that sort of thing.

What kind of build do you use?

I'm still experimenting with my backbar (levelling DW after bouncing off it pretty hard early on), but primarily I play 2H stamblade, with these skills:

1: Stampede: My beautiful baby - opener, gap closer, and a decent amount of AOE for free.
2: Killer's blade: My execute and a small bit of healing. Thinking about swapping this out for the 2H line execute because the 25% health range is relatively small, even on bosses. Doesn't do any AOE either.
3: Power extraction: Some small AOE damage, gives me Brutality, and puts a debuff on the enemies to trigger Reave
4: Relentless focus: I keep this up 24/7 for the buff, and the burst damage from the arrow
5: Resolving vigor: Burst heal - 'nuff said

Ult: Incapacitating strike: 20% bonus damage for 70 ult is cheap, plus the stam regen from Reave

I think what's missing in there is a good damage spammable which has a good animation interaction with light attack weaving, I'm just not sure what that is yet.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Brain In A Jar posted:

I think what's missing in there is a good damage spammable which has a good animation interaction with light attack weaving, I'm just not sure what that is yet.

Not sure something like that exists since it all looks janky animation wise with weaving, but hidden blade is really nice if you end up going dual wield. Ranged, hits 3 targets, gives brutality. Surprise attack is the only other one I can think of, it’s a bit less janky with animation cancelling than uppercut because it’s a more subtle animation.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Brain In A Jar posted:

I'm still experimenting with my backbar (levelling DW after bouncing off it pretty hard early on), but primarily I play 2H stamblade, with these skills:

1: Stampede: My beautiful baby - opener, gap closer, and a decent amount of AOE for free.
2: Killer's blade: My execute and a small bit of healing. Thinking about swapping this out for the 2H line execute because the 25% health range is relatively small, even on bosses. Doesn't do any AOE either.
3: Power extraction: Some small AOE damage, gives me Brutality, and puts a debuff on the enemies to trigger Reave
4: Relentless focus: I keep this up 24/7 for the buff, and the burst damage from the arrow
5: Resolving vigor: Burst heal - 'nuff said

Ult: Incapacitating strike: 20% bonus damage for 70 ult is cheap, plus the stam regen from Reave

In that case, let me introduce you to Cleave, which is a 2h skill. Morph it to Brawler so it gives you a damage shield that gets bigger when it hits more enemies. Spamming it against a group of mobs makes you basically unkillable and does good damage.

What do you use on your back bar? I’d suggest using a bow so you can use Volley, which is an AoE DoT. Basically I open fights by using Volley (bow skill, morphed to Endless Hail) and Caltrops (from the Assault skill line, can’t remember what I morphed this to but probably Razor Caltrops), then switch to 2h and spam Brawler until everything is dead. I can easily take on large groups of mobs this way.

You can also add any other skills as you see fit, I like to throw in Arrow Spray morphed to Acid Spray for more DoT, sometimes I just spam that instead of Brawler. Works like a charm.

Edit to add: honestly not really sure how good these are for animation canceling because the fights never last long enough for it to matter. I use Reverse Slash with weaving light attacks as my execution skill when it’s necessary, and now that I think about it I guess I weave with Brawler too but that’s more out of habit.

Double edit: I use Leeching Strikes as well, between that and the damage shield from Brawler, I almost never need to use Vigor and it gives back stamina too.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 9, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks for the advice on how to get Alliance Points.

So, I want to buy Cyrodiil's Crest gauntlets. I've found the Elite Gear Vendor for AD at the Southern Elsweyr Gate in Cyrodiil, and.... all they sell are containers that don't specify the set contained within :bahgawd:

What am I doing wrong?

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Potato Salad posted:

So, I want to buy Cyrodiil's Crest gauntlets. I've found the Elite Gear Vendor for AD at the Southern Elsweyr Gate in Cyrodiil, and.... all they sell are containers that don't specify the set contained within :bahgawd:

What am I doing wrong?

bhahahahahahhhahha.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there maintenance going on now or something? I can’t log in with my old username/password and trying to reset the password just gets me Error 500, page cannot be found.

I’ve tired on desktop and mobile on multiple browsers with no luck.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:ohdear:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just trying things out but the same thing happens if I try to retrieve my username, when I submit my email address it goes to Error 500.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

Is there maintenance going on now or something? I can’t log in with my old username/password and trying to reset the password just gets me Error 500, page cannot be found.

I’ve tired on desktop and mobile on multiple browsers with no luck.
I'm logged in fine on PC. You try signing in/resetting password here: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/login

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm logged in fine on PC. You try signing in/resetting password here: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/login

That’s where I’m having trouble. First I tried the game, then the site. I either get error 500 or bounced back to login with no other info

E- or 404

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snowy posted:

That’s where I’m having trouble. First I tried the game, then the site. I either get error 500 or bounced back to login with no other info

E- or 404

I just tried to go there and got a 500 so yeah, seems there's somethin' fucky somewhere

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

What am I doing wrong?
Believing anything about getting gear in this game is reasonable is where you're going wrong.

You can buy a piece for that (and other) specific set from the merchant in Vlastarus. He's a khajit at the north of the town. It's still a random item, though, but at least you're only rolling within the set.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just tried to go there and got a 500 so yeah, seems there's somethin' fucky somewhere

Ok thank you! I need to get in soon so I can put M’aiq in the sweet cave hideout I never use

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Snowy posted:

E- or 404
I got a 404, when you posted this, but it works now. Maybe it was a temporary thing, or maybe it's intermittent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I got a 404, when you posted this, but it works now. Maybe it was a temporary thing, or maybe it's intermittent.

Woohoo you’re right, thank you :)