Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah, it's honestly best to watch those guys when they are talking about the process of film-making, and the sometimes lovely shortcuts film makers take which leads to hilariously bad movies. But basically just turn the video off if it's a movie about women, black people, or Star Wars because they literally show their asses every time.

There's probably enough people on YouTube talking about filmmaking that you could probably just find ones that aren't so racist and sexist.

checks youtube

Okay never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm sad that MoviesWithMikey is most likely wrapped for now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

It's only not a flop because RLM hasn't told everyone how they should think about it yet, right?

They probably won’t review it at all after Black Widow because they’re apparently done with superhero movies. Especially Jay, that little weasel-faced gently caress is determined to poo poo all over any popcorn movie that even vaguely markets itself toward a broad audience.

Jack remains the only good RLM guy aside from Mike, although the latter has had some questionable moments talking about Asian folks.

gently caress Jay, though. That little pimple is a straight-up misogynist.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They probably won’t review it at all after Black Widow because they’re apparently done with superhero movies. Especially Jay, that little weasel-faced gently caress is determined to poo poo all over any popcorn movie that even vaguely markets itself toward a broad audience.

Jack remains the only good RLM guy aside from Mike, although the latter has had some questionable moments talking about Asian folks.

gently caress Jay, though. That little pimple is a straight-up misogynist.

Are there any you tube movie people who actually like the movies they talk about?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Eiba posted:

The Flag Smashers absolutely had a good point, and the show does just about explain it, but obviously doesn't dwell on it otherwise they'd be too sympathetic. Some implications aren't outright said but we kind of have to assume.

The way I see it there are rich and poor people, and there are people who are blipped and those who aren't. There are also rich and poor countries (or regions), where the increased quality of life has to do with infrastructure, etc.

When everyone came back all of a sudden there was a massive logistical problem, and in an unrealistically utopian turn of events everyone got together to actually deal with that issue. Massive amounts of resources are dedicated to putting people who disappeared back where they were five years ago.

So how does that affect everyone? Rich people who were blipped can reclaim their wealth. Poor people who were blipped are at least no worse off. Rich people who survived the blip would have the resources to protect what they've gained in the last five years, even if there are some things they have to give up. But poor people who survived the blip are just hosed.

They keep saying in the show "things were better during the blip," but don't really explain why in any great detail. It's left as a kind of horrifically unsympathetic thing to say about half of humanity being dead, but some of the implications are kind of obvious and definitely implied to have happened: there was a massive labor shortage when half of humanity disappeared. Naturally those with resources- rich countries/regions- would still have the resources to attract labor, and there would be massive migrations from poorer areas to wealthier areas. Huge parts of the earth would have been abandoned, as people shifted to the most economically viable half of the world. Poor people would have had tons of opportunities to improve their economic situation, and even if things got worse overall, people living in previously marginal/neglected areas would be a lot more valuable to society all of a sudden, and would undoubtedly see their lot improve.*

And so when everyone comes back and we're dedicated to doing justice to those who have been gone, we end up with a situation where poor people are having the necessities of life torn from them and being thrown back into the wilderness essentially- countries and areas that have basically been abandoned for five years. No assistance, just a vague shrug and the notion that they deserve to be there because that's where they came from five years ago. It's not just "we moved into nicer houses and now the owners want them back" it's "we for the first time had some semblance of economic security and human dignity and now that's being forcibly stripped from us as we're being deported to the ruins of our old lovely lives".

I think we're meant to understand all of that on some level, but we're not shown how fully desperate and hosed these people are, so then when Karli starts killing innocent people the audience isn't on board.

But the thing is, innocent people have been killed in far less pressing or noble conflicts that we still consider sympathetic. Pretty much any war of independence or liberation has been way bloodier than anything Karli did, and those have all been for the sake of one country, not like an absurdly oppressed helpless third of humanity. If anything it would be plausible and justified if they killed a lot more people to stop the resettlement programs.

Of course, if you put this all together, there's only one solution- economic dignity needs to be guaranteed as a human right. If the governments of the world can get together to piece together the world before the blip- if that level of government intervention is possible- then they would be able to, and morally obligated to, get together and eradicate poverty. Global guaranteed minimum income or something. It's probably a too radical/political a solution for a Disney property, especially since, if you think about it, the root material injustice basically already exists in our real world, people just aren't as upset about it because they're used to it and haven't seen first hand that things could be otherwise.

But given the world depicted some sort of massive intervention to lift the "have-nots" out of misery is the only viable solution. And if there's no political will to eradicate poverty, then a lot of hopeless people are going to understandably resort to terrorism until there is such political will, as the poor all over the world have seen that the world can be changed by those in power, and therefore it must be. Even if we can't imagine the global elites overthrown, we can imagine them doing the bare minimum to fix the worst of a hell-world.

Honestly, we saw a watered down version of this as I think we're meant to understand that Captain America's speech was supposed to have done something to make the resettlement stuff more humane.

*(Yes, I realize the irony of saying that in the midst of a pandemic-related "labor crisis" that is obviously a wage crisis to anyone who isn't a ghoul. In this fantasy comic book world, I think we're meant to assume jobs were filled by paying people better, based on the way people talk about how they lived during the blip.)

You also got to consider the situation, some countries may think they could get away with human/civil rights vviolations during the Blip. The pandemic caused legitimate social unrest in places like India and Hungary and it would be likely the dictatorships don't have the resources or political backing to stamp out a revolution. Rhodey mentioned alliances and borders changing, likely from social unrest toppling regimes

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Are there any you tube movie people who actually like the movies they talk about?

Red Letter Media.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Soonmot posted:

Oliver Harper and GoodBadMovies, but they generally don’t review new stuff. Harper will occasionally review new franchise stuff though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

YMS seems honest about what he likes and not (and some of his reviews are really funny), I just wish they would knock it off with the use of the r-word and calling women "bitches".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soonmot posted:

Patrick Willems has a whole series on his channel dedicated to movies he thinks are good, you just have to put up with the increasingly weird meta narratives he threads through most of his stuff.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1435286747940888582

Is it me or is that Zombie Hank Pym who gets Cap at 16 seconds in? He does size changing and seems to be in his Quantum Realm suit from Ant-Man & The Wasp. I guess hat means Hank has now killed all of the original Avengers, one way or another... kind of makes sense given the role Hank played in the MArvel Zombies coics, I guess. Maybe he brought the virus back from the Quantum Realm...

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

mutata posted:

I'm sad that MoviesWithMikey is most likely wrapped for now.

I think he heard you:

https://twitter.com/mikeyface/status/1435261489494077440?s=20

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Regarding tomorrow's episode:
Guess who seems will be in it?

https://twitter.com/Dastmalchian/status/1435342434460999687
I'm gonna laugh my rear end if all he did was zombie noises :v: Because hahaha, awesome!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Desperado Bones posted:

Regarding tomorrow's episode:
Guess who seems will be in it?

https://twitter.com/Dastmalchian/status/1435342434460999687
I'm gonna laugh my rear end if all he did was zombie noises :v: Because hahaha, awesome!

I'm hoping he gets to be the big hero who saves a bunch of people or something. That group from Ant-Man was a big highlight of both movies so far.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

seaborgium posted:

I'm hoping he gets to be the big hero who saves a bunch of people or something. That group from Ant-Man was a big highlight of both movies so far.

Oh that too would be extremely neat!!

Also, more official posters. RIP our boys:

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1435316185197858823

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I guess I am staying up to watch this drop, tonight. Of course, I was up to 5:30 am watching Demon Slayer, last night...second shift has turned me into a weird nerd vampire.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Mr Sunday movies guess seem to enjoy the movies they review

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Soonmot posted:

The poster boy for this would be Kevin Smith. Dude just talks for an hour or two recapping the entire plot of the film while sometimes literally crying with happiness at how great certain moments are. He made a point of responding to claims that he “likes everything” by stating that he hates tons of stuff, but he keeps that to himself and spends his time ONLY talking about the things that make him happy.

In a cynical world where rage can be monetised easier than joy, his attitude makes him a goddamn treasure in my book.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, sweet.

MoviesWithMikey is a positive film analysis You Tube channel. If you want actual positive movie critique (not just fluff), check him out: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdGl5mi0XeW2iK2sVp2ni_VDRKrmfF_-Z

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That one kinda sucked

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dad Jokes in a Jar :allears:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

tweet my meat posted:

That one kinda sucked

You’re thinking vampires. This is zombies. “It bites”.

Also, you’re wrong. This probably had the tightest writing and editing of any of them.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
It's got the Wasp, Spider-Man and Ant-Man, so a nicely broad representation of arthropods

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

People have said this about every What If episode so far, but this is the first ep in the series where I really need a part 2. I was legit shocked when the credits rolled — I thought we were only halfway through the story :argh:

Regarding this week’s voice cast, it was a genuine shame Holland didn’t show up for this one. Their replacement was fine, but obviously not the same person.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Lol I thought we won't get zombie Thanos but boom last shot

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wonder if there's some rights thing going on there, seeing as how I don't think they even tried to get Tom's likeness. I know Marvel has full rights for animated versions of Spider-man and I'm curious whether that precludes making him resemble a Sony iteration too much. Also lol that this is the first time we get confirmation that Uncle Ben even existed in the MCU.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Argue posted:

Also lol that this is the first time we get confirmation that Uncle Ben even existed in the MCU.

We did? I totally missed that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Yakmouth posted:

We did? I totally missed that.

When listing out people he's lost while talking about how he's able to keep his positive attitude: "My mom, dad, Uncle Ben, Mr Stark..."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Argue posted:

Also lol that this is the first time we get confirmation that Uncle Ben even existed in the MCU.

There's an old suitcase with BFP monogrammed on it in Far From Home.

Also, I assumed this was a two-parter episode - is there confirmation it isn't?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Necrothatcher posted:

There's an old suitcase with BFP monogrammed on it in Far From Home.

Also, I assumed this was a two-parter episode - is there confirmation it isn't?

The finale looks to be some kind of crossover, but that's pretty much it. It seems the episodes left are:

- What if Thor never learned humility?
- What if Iron Man ended up on Sakaar? (which I believe involves the version of Gamora dressed like Thanos)
- What if Killmonger saved Tony Stark from the bomb?
- What if Ultron gathered the Infinity Stones? (probably the big team-up episode)

Also, standing applause for Captain America's big plan against the zombies. Whatever he thought that was going to accomplish.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This was a fun episode, but a bit... Mindless, which fits I suppose!

Not-Holland Spidey was okay, and the character looked like a generic 90's Spidey so that was fine I guess. Always a fan of CAPE ACTION. Why was Scott a Futurama head, is this a reference to something in the movies I'm forgetting?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want this shirt

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rappaport posted:

This was a fun episode, but a bit... Mindless, which fits I suppose!

Not-Holland Spidey was okay, and the character looked like a generic 90's Spidey so that was fine I guess. Always a fan of CAPE ACTION. Why was Scott a Futurama head, is this a reference to something in the movies I'm forgetting?

It was probably more of a reference to the original comic. Zombie Wasp's head was kept by Black Panther. She wasn't cured, but she did stop being hungry after a while and became an ally. Same happened with Zombie Hawkeye, though he was mentally messed up from being a head buried under rubble for several decades.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Also I'm glad they didn't use anything from the marvel zombie mcu Manga, that was pretty bad

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So who was Victor meant to be?
Also, that shirt is great.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Love the second episode in a row about how Ant-people are the most powerful with a little creativity

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Andrew_1985 posted:

So who was Victor meant to be?
Also, that shirt is great.

Who?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

That random guy who was there? A friend of Spider-Man? He pretended to be a Zombie with Happy. Wanda took him out?

Is he a secret comic character?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Andrew_1985 posted:

That random guy who was there? A friend of Spider-Man? He pretended to be a Zombie with Happy. Wanda took him out?

Kurt? He's from the Ant Man movies

Also the best episode of the season, hand down.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

Nah.
https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Kurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kazil posted:

Kurt? He's from the Ant Man movies

Also the best episode of the season, hand down.

What?? Like I get different strokes but we just had the Dr Strange one. This doesn’t even come close to how good that was.

This was decent though and I wished it was a little longer. Couple cliffhangers there - 3 really.

1. Hulk and Scarlett
2. Wakanda cure
3. Thanos