Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

divabot posted:

How El Salvador's Bitcoin Day went.

spoiler: they're setting poo poo on fire
who could have possibly foreseen this, besides everyone without a vested financial interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

divabot posted:

Thanks for the ongoing summary. Makes it a lot easier to see how bad it’s going.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

divabot posted:

Pro-click... IRL comedy gold with much more to come.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

bitfinex threads are.. interesting.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1435390934045315074

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1435293905625489412

and this whole thread about the possibility that tether (having previously been ripped off by crypto capital) has too much money in china to the point where their chinese counterparts may just gently caress them over since tether has no recourse

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1435419301645799433

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I've tried to find it for ages, saw it on these forums (probably c-spam or maybe BFC?) months ago - was a Twitter post of some guy filming his candles wildly fluctuating up and down while he was going YES oh no YEEESSS oh no nooooo YES oh please God no in what sounded like a very bad indian accent impression? Anyone?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Bitfinixed is good to follow but he mixes things that are definitely true with things that are pure speculation.

The evergrande bit he's been on for a while now is an interesting story. But, he clearly has no evidence Tether holds evergrande debt other than "they wont deny it", which is a lazy argument.

Most likely Tether's fraud is quite a bit more boring than some of the wild conspiracy theories that get floated. They probably hold a lot of questionable debt issued by related and associated parties, like the exchanges and trading firms that are their major (only?) customers.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The tether scam is much simpler than anyone can imagine: it just says in the legal disclosure that owning tether does not entitle you to any US currency.

That’s it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I don't know Bitfinexed, I'm just a casual mocker of buttcoins, but I do know that Jennifer Zeng account they're quoting is an incredibly dubious source that nobody should be touching with a bargepole. An Epoch Times associated insane conspiracy theorist who is terrible at showing provenence of the materials, and adds her own layer of bullshit she on top. That's not to say there isn't factual material in her posts, but good luck separating it from the pile of poo poo it has been served in.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/coinbase/status/1435448395091615747

lol, coinbase getting sued by the SEC then pretending they've never heard of the howey test.

Link doesnt work, their blog completely disappeared shortly after this was posted.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
ron paul its happening dot gif

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Supposed capture of the blog before they deleted everything:

You see, our customers aren't "investing", they're lending in exchange for interest payments

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

drk posted:

You see, our customers aren't "investing", they're lending in exchange for interest payments

This is one of the most pathetic things I've ever read.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

This is the perfect climate for a "mystic"/grifter like Uri Geller to resurface. If I were him I would run pump and dump scams on shitcoins based on his mystical ability to see the future value of these shitcoins

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
oh god I really want Miss Cleo to come back for bitcoins

drk
Jan 16, 2005

KinkyJohn posted:

This is the perfect climate for a "mystic"/grifter like Uri Geller to resurface. If I were him I would run pump and dump scams on shitcoins based on his mystical ability to see the future value of these shitcoins

this is pretty much a perfect description for every crypto hypeman with a blog

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

KinkyJohn posted:

100%, he'll grift some good bucks from this

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Well, you'll need a psychic to contact your psychic then.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Regrettable posted:

Well, you'll need a psychic to contact your psychic then.

miss cleo giving cryptocurrency market predictions from beyond the grave is the cyberpunk future I yearn to exist in

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
hey rich bitcoinpeople

if youre so rich why dont you send me ten thousand dollars

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

drk posted:

It's really hard to overstate how stupid all of this is. Here is a tweet:

https://twitter.com/brian_armstrong/status/1435439543692365828

And basically the CEO OF COINBASE either is playing extremely dumb, sort of like cosplaying a sovcit or he is genuinely confused by how the thing he is doing is the thing he is doing. How, just how, could it be possible that something that holds financial value could be a security? This is all so tough to watch it is so stupid.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

codswallop posted:

There’s an article in The Guardian today you’ll all enjoy, about the Seavangelists starting a Seavilisation underpinned by Bitcoin

“The disastrous voyage of Satoshi, the world’s first cryptocurrency cruise ship”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/sep/07/disastrous-voyage-satoshi-cryptocurrency-cruise-ship-seassteading

These are basically my favorite articles, Libertarians who try to set up shop and then it all implodes. I just love it. My absolute favorite ones are where in the end they basically say "Well I'm going to sue".

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KinkyJohn posted:

Spooncoin, the currency for the spoon bending economy of the future!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Parkingtigers posted:

I don't know Bitfinexed, I'm just a casual mocker of buttcoins, but I do know that Jennifer Zeng account they're quoting is an incredibly dubious source that nobody should be touching with a bargepole. An Epoch Times associated insane conspiracy theorist who is terrible at showing provenence of the materials, and adds her own layer of bullshit she on top. That's not to say there isn't factual material in her posts, but good luck separating it from the pile of poo poo it has been served in.

yeah thanks for that.

does look like it is a protest about wages, and about evergrande. i don't think that part is false.

it is indeed speculative that tether is buying evergrande commercial paper.. the running theory is that because no one in the US, nor EMEA have ever heard of Tether... there seems to be only one area left that they could buy "international" commercial paper from. especially that much. the obvious hole is how they'd buy chinese commercial paper since tether can't buy directly. what chinese bank would allow them to buy it..

i guess we'll find out soon enough... evergrande is imploding right now.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
so tether alone minted like 2B in funny money today and all the crypto bigwigs got to trade on this info with fake money, and then Coin base goes public with the info that they knowingly did a crime an hour before midnight on the same day.

is this some "just make sure you send in $9999 increments so it won't get flagged"-style scheme to not get hit with insider trading charges?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah thanks for that.

does look like it is a protest about wages, and about evergrande. i don't think that part is false.

it is indeed speculative that tether is buying evergrande commercial paper.. the running theory is that because no one in the US, nor EMEA have ever heard of Tether... there seems to be only one area left that they could buy "international" commercial paper from. especially that much. the obvious hole is how they'd buy chinese commercial paper since tether can't buy directly. what chinese bank would allow them to buy it..

i guess we'll find out soon enough... evergrande is imploding right now.

When you suddenly wander into Bitcoin superstonk. These wild internet theories always turn out to be entirely bullshit based on combining current news stories.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

codswallop posted:

There’s an article in The Guardian today you’ll all enjoy, about the Seavangelists starting a Seavilisation underpinned by Bitcoin

“The disastrous voyage of Satoshi, the world’s first cryptocurrency cruise ship”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/sep/07/disastrous-voyage-satoshi-cryptocurrency-cruise-ship-seassteading

Fuckin lol, I lost it at the part where he went on AMA on Reddit and was like yeah you can mine bitcoins in your cabin, but no microwaves due to safety!

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

If bitcoin goes down under 10k there is no way up, I hope that happen so all this crap can finally stop.

It was funny a few years ago but now it is just upsetting how much the regulators and politiciens are asleep at the wheel.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

bollig posted:

It's really hard to overstate how stupid all of this is.
How, just how, could it be possible that holds financial value? This is all…so stupid.

“Value” :lmao:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Code Jockey posted:

Hash me now!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

The best way to run a business is to stand in front of the SEC and shout, “I dare you to sue my for breaking financial regulations!”

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Uranium 235 posted:

The best way to run a business is to stand in front of the SEC and shout, “I dare you to sue my for breaking financial regulations!”

well it works fine for elon musk

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Foo Diddley posted:

well it works fine for elon musk

Until he went on SNL :ocelot: :grin:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
can I still buy bits on a print out with a scratch off code? was that real or a dream I had

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

lmao fair enough

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

drk posted:

Bitfinixed is good to follow but he mixes things that are definitely true with things that are pure speculation.

The evergrande bit he's been on for a while now is an interesting story. But, he clearly has no evidence Tether holds evergrande debt other than "they wont deny it", which is a lazy argument.

Most likely Tether's fraud is quite a bit more boring than some of the wild conspiracy theories that get floated. They probably hold a lot of questionable debt issued by related and associated parties, like the exchanges and trading firms that are their major (only?) customers.

Agreed, Bitfinexed initially got the big picture right, but their desire to KEEP POSTING combined with the Tether scheme lasting for years longer than they/we anticipated has them slinging lots of pure speculation, some of which probably isn't going to pan out. There's already a wealth of evidence that Tether is a fraud, but that account is determined to climb out on some shaky limbs that are totally unneeded to make a solid case for Tether being a scam.

Tether-holds-Evergrande seems possible, but that's it - possible, not proven or even probable. I haven't seen any direct evidence yet that Tether actually holds Evergrande CP, and I don't understand why Bitfinexed has latched onto that explanation over all other possible explanations (including the explanation that they're just lying about the composition and valuation of their reserves, and either don't hold what they claim to hold or are marking it up to an absurd valuation.)

Tether the organization is untrustworthy and Tether the token is illegal, unworkable, and nonsensical even if they have good reserves, so I think the obsession with Tether's reserve often misses the forest for the trees. But it's the easiest part of the scheme to explain and understand, so a lot of folks (including Bitfinexed) get too wrapped up in it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/SEC_Investor_Ed/status/1435606347807006728

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mimesweeper posted:

ron paul what's its happening??? dot gif

Ftfy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the timing of this is a coincidence, but i want to believe

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
they’ve posted the same video before, so absolutely on purpose to bring it up again https://twitter.com/sec_investor_ed/status/1418586702801621002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm still laughing at the part where they say "they won't even tell us what's wrong, just something about Howey and Reeves." Glad they reposted the highschool level explanation to help them out.