Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Barudak posted:

debating if I was gonna have to shovel a shambler

need that cheevo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I finished Masters of Doom and it really gives credit to Carmack's programming brilliance. I did some more research and it looks like some modern game titles (Call of duty, I guess?) are STILL using remnants of Quake 1 or 2's code? is that accurate? IF so, that is absolutely bonkers.

It's a Ship of Theseus situation really

Can you trace back the lineage of Source, Titanfall/Apex and Call of Duty to the Quake engine? Yes

Is there anything of note that hasn't been rewritten from scratch at this point? Probably not

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There's this:

https://twitter.com/80Level/status/1404484496884445184

But I'm no programmer so I don't know if it's code exactly or something else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's morse code for "no hl3"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

more credence that carmack is an n-dimensional thought demon

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
It seems like it's just the timing, which might be algorithmic, in which case it's probable that they just re-used the same function because it works well enough. But the actual lighting calculations (ie how the light bounces off of the materials in order to illuminate the space) would be entirely different between engines.

I'd be curious to see if it is a function. Game devs come up with cool, simple solutions to stuff like that sometimes. Like "take the sine of the current game tic, multiply it by some factor X, and if it's within some pre-defined range of numbers, leave the light on"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's from here in the Quake engine

https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/QW/progs/world.qc#L303

Light flickers are defined as strings of characters, and those old Quake presets have survived in Source because they still get the job done

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

bro

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

repiv posted:

It's from here in the Quake engine

https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/master/QW/progs/world.qc#L303

Light flickers are defined as strings of characters, and those old Quake presets have survived in Source because they still get the job done

Nice find! I like that the brightnesses are just ASCII-encoded.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What are the chances that games have just been reusing the enemy AI from Quake all these years and no one has noticed?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if it ain't broke don't fix it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dramicus posted:

What are the chances that games have just been reusing the enemy AI from Quake all these years and no one has noticed?
The "dumb" AI Carmack wrote for the original 2D Catacomb game in 1990 was reused in every single game Id put out (Doom and Quake included) until Doom 3 in 2004, with one exception (Q3A). It might have snuck into later games, but we don't have the source to check.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The deeper you dig into a game’s source, the more you find code that is:

-so basic and simple that it’s useful in pretty much every game that will ever be created

-so abstract and general that it’s hard to call it the signature of a particular project

Bungie just posted a tech blog in which they mention that Destiny 2 is using some controller input reading code that’s 20 years old (as in, written for the original Halo engine). And they may have very low-level libraries whose purpose can’t be explained easily to non-coders that are even older.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 7, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

It's a Ship of Theseus situation really

Can you trace back the lineage of Source, Titanfall/Apex and Call of Duty to the Quake engine? Yes

Is there anything of note that hasn't been rewritten from scratch at this point? Probably not

I'd imagine there's probably some very low-level stuff that still exists, so even when they say the IW engine was "completely rebuilt" for version 8.0 I imagine there's some stuff that still exists from iDTech 3 in there, somewhere.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That is wild and so, so cool. There was an excellent twitter topic a year or two ago where game devs talked about all the ways they fudged programming or game mechanics.

I can't recall which but a developer of a beloved PSX-era racer admitted that the stats they showed on the car select screen were entirely bullshit - all the cars were identical.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7WqSUP5ng&t=982s

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

The "dumb" AI Carmack wrote for the original 2D Catacomb game in 1990 was reused in every single game Id put out (Doom and Quake included) until Doom 3 in 2004, with one exception (Q3A). It might have snuck into later games, but we don't have the source to check.

drat I didn't know that. I don't know if praise him for doing a good job at Catacomb, or lambasting him for using it still in Quake 1/2.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

That is wild and so, so cool. There was an excellent twitter topic a year or two ago where game devs talked about all the ways they fudged programming or game mechanics.

I can't recall which but a developer of a beloved PSX-era racer admitted that the stats they showed on the car select screen were entirely bullshit - all the cars were identical.

Have you even wondered how the subway in Fallout 3 works? https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Dramicus posted:

Incredibly low, especially since the AI in Quake is mostly in QuakeC. It is also pretty stupid and can’t meaningfully navigate the level in anyway at all. It wouldn’t be very useful in any newer engines.

Boring stuff like controls or network protocols are what survive 20 years, rarely anything that is gameplay facing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the "reused AI" basically amounts to the routine that determines which direction to walk in case the current direction is blocked.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

more credence that carmack is an n-dimensional thought demon

And feline euthanasia enthusiast.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:lmao:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I finished Masters of Doom and it really gives credit to Carmack's programming brilliance. I did some more research and it looks like some modern game titles (Call of duty, I guess?) are STILL using remnants of Quake 1 or 2's code? is that accurate? IF so, that is absolutely bonkers.

I know nothing about programming especially video game programming but iirc the last great FPS Titanfall 2 uses a modified Source engine.

Source of course came out of GldSrc, which itself is derived from Quake 1 tech.

Makes you think. (Or makes me think)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I know nothing about programming especially video game programming but iirc the last great FPS Titanfall 2 uses a modified Source engine.

Source of course came out of GldSrc, which itself is derived from Quake 1 tech.

Makes you think. (Or makes me think)

And that whole lineage is incestuous, where the Respawn folks are all ex-CoD devs who built the IW engine and launched that franchise. Prior to that the founders of Infinity Ward all worked on Medal of Honor, an id Tech 3 title.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Respawn being actually really good is bizarre considering the poo poo they started out working on.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Casimir Radon posted:

Respawn being actually really good is bizarre considering the poo poo they started out working on.

What do you mean? Their first game was Titanfall, which was amazing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

What do you mean? Their first game was Titanfall, which was amazing.
Call of Duty, in their previous jobs.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Casimir Radon posted:

You mean Call of Duty, the most successful FPS franchise of all time? How weird that the creators of that would go on to become good. Call of Duty only became a running joke long after they left the company.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ok, so forgot that COD mostly started going downhill after Activision fired West and Zampella so they could be screwed out of their bonuses.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And Respawn before splitting from EA the first time made Medal of Honor so their track is really amazing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My understanding is that Half-Life/GoldSrc is a heavily modified Quake 1 (with a couple of network fixes from Quake 2 that ended up getting rewritten in a patch anyway), that they just kept building on for Source. Source went through a bunch of different "branches" over the years for different projects and new features, Titanfall 1 took the Portal 2 branch (since it had PS3 support, you know, before the Xbone exclusivity deal :v: ) and heavily modified it to fit their requirements and workflow preferences (ie. using Radiant for their editor!), and Titanfall 2 and Apex just keep building on and rewriting bits of that until it's basically its own beast.

I could have swore Call of Duty did a big tech rewrite at some point, but they're still crediting Id Tech in their legal crawls as recently as Modern Warfare 2019, so there's probably still a few bits of shrapnel in that particular leg.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

also, regardless of what else you think about them, the cod games are technically excellent. nearly always aiming for 60fps on ps360 gen hardware was commendable

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, with the awful hardware these consoles had, they looked quite good and ran smooth even on MP (P2P and people having poo poo connections is a different matter).

I have no shame to admit that I played the poo poo out of every CoD game up to Black Ops 1 (CoD4, MW2 and Blops with almost 1000 hours each on Xbox360).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

finished the first 2 episodes of DOOM on switch last night, drat it's still good, i never played it through like this before. what a great game :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

finished the first 2 episodes of DOOM on switch last night, drat it's still good, i never played it through like this before. what a great game :)

Doom was, is, and will be absolutely phenomenal. Play through some Doom 2 then quake next. Romero's Sigil for Doom 1 is real good, too, if you want a smooth continuation of Doom 1

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Star Trek: Elite Force and Elite Force 2, among other Star Trek games, have been re-released by Activision (so take it as you will) on GOG to mark both the franchise's 55th anniversary and the 100th birthday of Gene Roddenberry. They're $11 each.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, i loved EF2 back in the day. I didn't even like star trek but i remember playing it at a friend's house and thinking all the interactivity was really cool

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Star Trek: Elite Force and Elite Force 2, among other Star Trek games, have been re-released by Activision (so take it as you will) on GOG to mark both the franchise's 55th anniversary and the 100th birthday of Gene Roddenberry. They're $11 each.

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
waiting for the Klingon FMV game where Gowron uses the Holodeck to teach you how good HONOUR is

Last I tried it in dosbox it crashed a lot, but that was a fair few years ago