Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I mean, at least from the outside it looks better than the current i3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't get the yellow if you don't want attention. Every time I parallel park someone takes a video and I don't mind but I'm definitely going to end up on one of those bad driver compilation videos as I'm absolutely paranoid about curbing the wheels.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I curb my wheels all the time in my lovely 328 to match the peeling paint

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I mean, at least from the outside it looks better than the current i3.

Sure but this is a concept. Whatever reaches production will look exactly like an i3.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Sure but this is a concept. Whatever reaches production will look exactly like an i3.

You're forgetting that the fake grill will be 10x larger.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So my buddy that bought that M3 GTS got a drivetrain malfunction with some valvetronic codes. Not a common issue but it does pop up and can be a bit pricey to fix. He pulled it apart to check it out and was hoping the eccentric shaft was still good.

That's uh, bad. It somehow apparently didn't do any damage to anything else. He got a new bolt in and things seem to be running fine now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How did nothing else get damaged? poo poo got chopped by something a few times.

:wtf: Lucky man.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Minnesota Mixup posted:

You're forgetting that the fake grill will be 10x larger.

Sorry, you're right

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Eric Keller of EAG passed away from a motorcycle accident a couple days ago. What a bummer, I know a lot of people don't like their style or business model but the guy was extremely good for the BMW community and he had a huge amount of knowledge and influence.

I just got the email from the local BMWCCA and his obituary. Holy poo poo.. He was the first person I ever bought a BMW from, and I did my test drive in the car with him and let him drive me to show what the car was capable of.. This is so loving weird, and hits me hard as we are similar in age. loving hell.. And my step father who was there with me that day has also passed, so I can't even call him to talk about it. Fuckin hell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My biggest problems with it are the frequent expensive repairs, and the fact it's an ICE car in a warming world.

your personal carbon footprint will almost certainly be lower keeping the 328 versus buying a new car, regardless of what the new car is powered by. consumption is not a solution to global warming.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
E90 M3 or a 1989 E30 with 100k miles?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325is-70/

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:kstare:

While the owner seemed to have put a lot of work in it through his four years of ownership he appears to have been rewarded for it handsomely

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
36k for an E30 that hasn't had the timing belt done in 5 years, goddamn rich people have too much money

e: lmao it wasn't even a factory 5 speed car? Someone give me 15k for my E28

rscott fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 7, 2021

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Nobody wanted my E30 318i when I sold it 2 years ago.

Makes me tempted to list mine for sale.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hey so a friend of mine is buying her first new car in like a decade. Her budget is roughly 50k and she wants a manual. I moseyed on over to BMWs website and unless I am god's own fool her choices are essentially.. Nothing? Is it really just the M3 and M4 with a manual now?

Are there even any competitors to look at or is this basically a used car only game.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I should start exporting local e30s to the us

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

Hey so a friend of mine is buying her first new car in like a decade. Her budget is roughly 50k and she wants a manual. I moseyed on over to BMWs website and unless I am god's own fool her choices are essentially.. Nothing? Is it really just the M3 and M4 with a manual now?

Are there even any competitors to look at or is this basically a used car only game.

I think you can still do a 230/240 with a manual, but only the coupe. Although maybe with the new 2er out it's no longer.

Edit nvm, that's also gone. M cars only now.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 8, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Nobody wanted my E30 318i when I sold it 2 years ago.

Makes me tempted to list mine for sale.

Same, not driving mine enough and prices are insane right now. Tempted to sell then see if the market calms down a bit and get a race prepped one.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

flightless greeb posted:

The other sort of bmw option with a manual is MINI. You can get any of the fwd models with a manual.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Man am I glad I picked up my M2C manual when I did! I believe it is last BMW they made (in America) with a manual gearbox and parking brake.

I just did an oil change in between the freebie dealer changes, since I think the factory oil change intervals are nuts, and Costco/Kirkland 5W30 is only $26 for 10 quarts! One of the easiest oil changes ever, they actually have a little hole open in the undertray for the drain plug. Extremely stupid there is no dipstick, and I had to buy a special filter wrench, but oh well.

My old 330ci used to burn oil at a TREMENDOUS rate, like a quart every fill up even when I got it with ~70k miles, and I suspect it was due to the 12K/1 year oil change intervals.

Next step is to slap in the Turner undertray, I went to put it on, but needed a reverse torx bit to undo the old one...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

your personal carbon footprint will almost certainly be lower keeping the 328 versus buying a new car, regardless of what the new car is powered by. consumption is not a solution to global warming.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/01/15/climate/electric-car-cost.html

quote:

Dr. Trancik estimates that an electric vehicle’s production emissions would be offset in anywhere from six to 18 months, depending on how clean the energy grid is where the car is charging.
:shrug:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Voltage posted:

Man am I glad I picked up my M2C manual when I did! I believe it is last BMW they made (in America) with a manual gearbox and parking brake.

Next step is to slap in the Turner undertray, I went to put it on, but needed a reverse torx bit to undo the old one...

Unf. Jelly.

Have to yank the m2c DME (8/19 build) and ship it to Canada for the bootmod3 folks to bench unlock it. I just want regular m3 power! ...for now.

womp womp

e30 goes to get an exhaust on Friday morning.
Vibrant 1040 muffler and 1793 resonator showed up today.

Production emissions !=lifetime emissions, recycling, etc. And only very rarely even begins to include raw material input costs, environmental or otherwise.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 8, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Why Canada? I think Kies Motorsports in New Jersey can do unlocks for Bootmod3?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

kill me now posted:

The other sort of bmw option with a manual is MINI. You can get any of the fwd models with a manual.

Her last car was actually a mini so we were looking at those too. There's one for sale in the bay area with an MT and like a handful in the whole country lol

Maybe a mustang?? Or she can pay 45k for a new Miata oh what a woild

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Alarbus posted:

Why Canada? I think Kies Motorsports in New Jersey can do unlocks for Bootmod3?

Those were the options they gave me, and I bought the "service" from them directly so it goes wherever they say I suppose.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

Those were the options they gave me, and I bought the "service" from them directly so it goes wherever they say I suppose.

Huh, okay. Just seems like customs would be weird and or take longer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I asked the broker when my NY registration would come in so I can take off the temp Jersey tags and get it inspected and he said 6 weeks. Except the temp tags expire in 4 weeks :mad:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

they're comparing incremental emissions from producing an EV versus ICE, which are offset in 6-18 months. But that assumes production of a new car, which is not the case for you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I mean, it will be eventually either way. I'm pretty skeptical that burning another like 50-60k miles worth of gas (a lot of gas for an N52) is going to be better in terms of carbon than me buying and driving a Tesla for 5-6 years, especially if I can get the electricity cleanly.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

flightless greeb posted:

Her last car was actually a mini so we were looking at those too. There's one for sale in the bay area with an MT and like a handful in the whole country lol

Maybe a mustang?? Or she can pay 45k for a new Miata oh what a woild

unless she needs it right away I would just factory order it

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I mean, it will be eventually either way. I'm pretty skeptical that burning another like 50-60k miles worth of gas (a lot of gas for an N52) is going to be better in terms of carbon than me buying and driving a Tesla for 5-6 years, especially if I can get the electricity cleanly.

You're assuming that the 328 will be immediately crushed after you sell it. It will continue to emit approximately 5.2 tons of CO2 per year at 13k miles driven.

If it was immediately crushed, it would take 3-4 years for a model 3 to offset it. For you.

However, since it won't be, let's assume that it has 5 more years of life left. That's 26 t of CO2 from it, plus the 24.8 t for the model 3.

So total emissions getting a new model 3 are 50.8 t of CO2 over a 5 year period, versus 26 t from keeping the BMW for 5 more years. This is of course super simplified as I'm not taking in to account things like: the person that ends up buying it, is theirs crushed? Did they have a less or more fuel efficient car before or even an EV?

There's a ton of factors that you'd have to really work out to determine it, but in short:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

consumption is not a solution to global warming.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you may be skeptical but the math doesn't give a gently caress about your opinions

you want a model 3 go for it! that's great! just don't try to sneakily disguise it as "being good for the environment" when you're talking about incrementally replacing a car you have no intention of replacing otherwise. coward's way of buying poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is why I just own the fact that my hobby is violence against the planet and buy whatever I want.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

You're assuming that the 328 will be immediately crushed after you sell it. It will continue to emit approximately 5.2 tons of CO2 per year at 13k miles driven.

If it was immediately crushed, it would take 3-4 years for a model 3 to offset it. For you.

However, since it won't be, let's assume that it has 5 more years of life left. That's 26 t of CO2 from it, plus the 24.8 t for the model 3.

So total emissions getting a new model 3 are 50.8 t of CO2 over a 5 year period, versus 26 t from keeping the BMW for 5 more years. This is of course super simplified as I'm not taking in to account things like: the person that ends up buying it, is theirs crushed? Did they have a less or more fuel efficient car before or even an EV?

There's a ton of factors that you'd have to really work out to determine it, but in short:

Let's be real though, that 328 will be bought by an old guy on BAT who will only ever bring it out for cars and coffee

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Voltage posted:

Nice! This reminded me that I need to replace my factory undertray (E92 M3) after too many scrapes on speed bumps. Would you recommend Turner undertrays in general?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you may be skeptical but the math doesn't give a gently caress about your opinions

you want a model 3 go for it! that's great! just don't try to sneakily disguise it as "being good for the environment" when you're talking about incrementally replacing a car you have no intention of replacing otherwise. coward's way of buying poo poo.
Oh come on man there's no reason to call me a coward over my car buying analysis. I am definitely down to dig into the math on this because at this point, I could honestly stick with my 328 or get a Model 3 in a year or two but if I knew for sure that one or the other would be better for the carbon inventory then that would make a big difference in my decision. That's all I'm trying to figure out at this very preliminary stage and I appreciate the people who have posted input about the environmental aspects ITT, including you.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Well if the planet/ethics are coming into things I’d probably say that tesla has shown to be anti labor, above and beyond what is normal in the auto industry so I’d pretty strongly advise looking elsewhere for going green. I admit to being not too hot on EV, but if I were buying one tesla would certainly be the last I would get.

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat and I know having this hobby has a lot of balancing and choosing where you make allowances to be more ethical. Hell I am a huge F1 fan and I just suspend any sort of belief of morals or ethics to enjoy it because I know it’s terrible. Do what makes you happy but wanted to mention that if you are thinking conscientiously to consider the company itself and their behavior in addition to the product’s impact.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh come on man there's no reason to call me a coward over my car buying analysis. I am definitely down to dig into the math on this because at this point, I could honestly stick with my 328 or get a Model 3 in a year or two but if I knew for sure that one or the other would be better for the carbon inventory then that would make a big difference in my decision. That's all I'm trying to figure out at this very preliminary stage and I appreciate the people who have posted input about the environmental aspects ITT, including you.

it was harsh, my bad. i just get annoyed by greenwashing purchase decisions like this. if you want a new car that's cool, just be honest with yourself. it's very clear that incremental production of cars is bad for the environment from both a ghg and other environmental damage perspective.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the other hand everyone in this thread could just start doing a permanent burnout now and do it for the rest of their lives and create as much climate change combined as a cruise ship operating for 1 minute, so

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

On the other hand everyone in this thread could just start doing a permanent burnout now and do it for the rest of their lives and create as much climate change combined as a cruise ship operating for 1 minute, so

It's true that individual purchasing actions are not significant (unless you're a billionaire with a private jet) but this is just more reason why legislation to enforce large-scale change is important, not a reason to throw your hands up and say :matters:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ether Frenzy posted:

I think we can leave it at this

but also
:matters:

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 8, 2021