Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've had good experience with Rigid tools in general. My buddy runs a cabinet shop and they use all rigid for their tool kits they take on installs and for all their drills and other stuff around the shop. The only stuff that's died on them was from getting run over by a truck or forklift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sump pump installed just in time for another 2 days of flash flood warnings.

Before

You might want to get an electrician in to take a quick look at your setup there, that's some janky DIY-looking electrical/plumbing work. Random liquid-tight conduit looping around and hanging low, not supported, and not passing through the wall with an approved box. Possibly undersized 12/2 NM to the water heater strung all over and loopy, no clamp on the water heater, and what look like PEX clamps (not proper) holding it occasionally on the wall. All low enough to get yanked. Speaking of PEX clamps, those PEX pipes should also be supported, and though technically not against code, not just hanging around low.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can confirm that the Rigid vacs absolutely suck. My father-in-law visited us to help us with "new house stuff" and he said one of the things he was going to do was buy us a shop-vac, but when he saw what a good job my Rigid 12 gallon did, he knew I'd gotten the best already.

I'm actually considering a second smaller Rigid. The 12 gallon is a bit too big to haul into the house and into the basement, so I'm considering one of the smaller 5HP models to stay in the basement to clean up cat litter and the like, and possibly come into the main living area for other things, so I can leave the big one outside in the garage.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Can confirm that the Rigid vacs absolutely suck. My father-in-law visited us to help us with "new house stuff" and he said one of the things he was going to do was buy us a shop-vac, but when he saw what a good job my Rigid 12 gallon did, he knew I'd gotten the best already.

I'm actually considering a second smaller Rigid. The 12 gallon is a bit too big to haul into the house and into the basement, so I'm considering one of the smaller 5HP models to stay in the basement to clean up cat litter and the like, and possibly come into the main living area for other things, so I can leave the big one outside in the garage.

If you need a general purpose secondary vacuum, the Shark Apex Uplight we got at Bed Bath and Beyond has been one heck of a decent secondary vacuum. It'd make short work of cat litter and the like and do well enough on other things. It's not a canister vac, so if you have tons of carpets, it may not be that great, but it's been wonderful for us. Easy to use, lightweight, quick to get around.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I’m officially dealing with my first poor decision as a new homeowner. We gutted the entire second floor and I knew some of the walls were uneven but we just put so much time and work into the rest of it at that point I said gently caress it I’ll cross that bridge later.

Well it’s bridge-crossing time.

Is there something I can slot in there and paint to fill the gap between the existing molding and the new walls? It’s about a quarter inch to almost a half inch at some spots.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Is installing fresh trim an option?

That picture is so tight I have no idea what I'm looking at and how it relates to "gutting" the second floor.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
My bad I took a very close up pic so I could zoom in on the gap. Basically we took the walls down to the studs and had new sheetrock put in, but kept the old molding where it was behind the baseboard heat. However the house is very old and the studs weren’t perfectly even everywhere so some of the new sheetrock doesn’t match up exactly with the old molding trim. I’m thinking just finding some thin trim to slot into that gap but wanted to see if anyone else ever had a similar issue.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah I too am confused. How did you install new walls without removing the trim? Also that trim doesn't look worth saving, it's old and has been repainted many times over. My guess would be to install new trim if that's an option. It will probably look much cleaner and be easier to do vs trying to save existing.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My parents are yelling at me for not using my dishwasher enough. I usually don't use it very often because I don't use many dishes. I am being told I need to run it once a week to keep it from drying out and then leaking the next time I do use it.

Do I really need to run it once a week or is once a month ok?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Whoreson Welles posted:

My bad I took a very close up pic so I could zoom in on the gap. Basically we took the walls down to the studs and had new sheetrock put in, but kept the old molding where it was behind the baseboard heat. However the house is very old and the studs weren’t perfectly even everywhere so some of the new sheetrock doesn’t match up exactly with the old molding trim. I’m thinking just finding some thin trim to slot into that gap but wanted to see if anyone else ever had a similar issue.

I see what you're going for but new trim is the answer.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

I see what you're going for but new trim is the answer.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sump pump installed just in time for another 2 days of flash flood warnings.

Before

Is that two water lines going directly over a power box?

Motronic posted:

Daughters. One in college already. There is a full bar inside those sliding glass doors with a couple kegs on tap.

So yeah, this house is always ready for a party. That's pretty much what the entire first floor is set up for.

You're a good father. Never deny your children the opportunity to have some late-90s sex comedy hijinx.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

You're a good father. Never deny your children the opportunity to have some late-90s sex comedy hijinx.

Realtalk on a a comedy forum: If you haven't parented until now it's way too late.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've been enjoying the whole house fan in the evenings at our new house. One weird thing though was that sometimes in the evenings I would get a faint but distinct smell of smoke, particularly in the living room. At first I assumed it was wildfire smoke wafting into the area since CA is still on fire and all. But after it happening a couple of times, including on otherwise clear days, I thought something else must be up. It didn't happen every time I turned on the whole house fan but when I smelled it, it was definitely shortly after turning it on. I started to worry maybe there was some sort of electrical problem with the wiring feeding the fan and my house was about to burn down. But then tonight I realized that I didn't have many windows open and as I passed by the fireplace to open another window I felt the draft coming down the chimney and sure enough, a smoke-scented breeze was being pulled down the stack right into my living room. Opening a few more windows cleared it right up.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thats caught me before and scared me as well. I will say from unfortunate experience at former jobs just starting electrical fires tend to smell like melty plastic or just generally offensively awful rather than anythibg that resembles wood burning. Also you likely wouldn't smell the fan burning up very well since it would be venting the burning smell out of the house.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Source4Leko posted:

Thats caught me before and scared me as well. I will say from unfortunate experience at former jobs just starting electrical fires tend to smell like melty plastic or just generally offensively awful rather than anythibg that resembles wood burning. Also you likely wouldn't smell the fan burning up very well since it would be venting the burning smell out of the house.

Yeah electric smoke has a way different smell.

Plastic/acrid is the best I could describe it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you have gas appliances make sure you have another source of air or they can back draft carbon monoxide. Also have CO detectors.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m not allowed to have gas or coal bbqs on my balcony, are electric grills any good? Never used em.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

I’m not allowed to have gas or coal bbqs on my balcony, are electric grills any good? Never used em.

Not really, It's like a george foreman but outside. I mean it's nice kuz cooking some burgers in the summer wont heat up your house but effectively you're really just like cooking on a griddle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just get some liquid smoke and drip a few drops on those burgers and franks

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

NomNomNom posted:

If you have gas appliances make sure you have another source of air or they can back draft carbon monoxide. Also have CO detectors.
Thanks for the heads up, hadn't thought of that. We typically only run the whole house fan in the evening after cooking but I'll remember that if we fire up the oven for some late night frozen pizza.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We've got a porch with jalousies. Should we have a fan to help create a breeze and keep air flowing or just leave it to the wind?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CongoJack posted:

My parents are yelling at me for not using my dishwasher enough. I usually don't use it very often because I don't use many dishes. I am being told I need to run it once a week to keep it from drying out and then leaking the next time I do use it.

Do you cook and eat 3 meals a day at home? That's enough to run a load. Probably saves on water assuming it was made in the last decade. If it's cheap builder grade fridgidaire whatever it's going to be loud as all getout. If you literally use 3 plates a day but no pots/pans then maybe not? :shrug: Maybe load them in and run it every third day? Hand washing when you have a working dishwasher is such a foreign concept to me.

You could literally toss a glass of water into there to stop the drain from drying out, and run it on "rinse" to pump it through occasionally while using the least amount of water.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Do you cook and eat 3 meals a day at home? That's enough to run a load. Probably saves on water assuming it was made in the last decade. If it's cheap builder grade fridgidaire whatever it's going to be loud as all getout. If you literally use 3 plates a day but no pots/pans then maybe not? :shrug: Maybe load them in and run it every third day? Hand washing when you have a working dishwasher is such a foreign concept to me.

You could literally toss a glass of water into there to stop the drain from drying out, and run it on "rinse" to pump it through occasionally while using the least amount of water.

Yeah this.. I try and run nearly full but handwashing more than like 7ish dishes is going to waste more water than most new dishwashers.
Early 90s ones use like 12ish gallons.. newer ones use like 5ish gallons. You are using somewhere around 1.5 gallons a min when handwashing. so if you spend more than like 5 mins getting your dishes clean.. just drop em in the dishwasher.

edit: these are real general numbers but give a good approximation

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 8, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

spf3million posted:

But then tonight I realized that I didn't have many windows open and as I passed by the fireplace to open another window I felt the draft coming down the chimney and sure enough, a smoke-scented breeze was being pulled down the stack right into my living room. Opening a few more windows cleared it right up.

This got me too. My house is ridiculously tight to the point that I'm having CO2 issues. If the windows are closed and someone turns on exhaust fans, the chimney definitely becomes the intake. I even had the chimney swept before I realized what the issue was. I'm quoting ERVs now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CongoJack posted:

I mean, I rinse my dishes/cups/silverware and put them in the dishwasher so it sanitizes them whenever I run it (usually wait until it's full, so about every third day or so), but this is the first I've heard of the seal drying out and leaking.

How old is the dishwasher? How do your parents think dishwashers avoid this problem while in storage before somebody buys them?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

KS posted:

This got me too. My house is ridiculously tight to the point that I'm having CO2 issues. If the windows are closed and someone turns on exhaust fans, the chimney definitely becomes the intake. I even had the chimney swept before I realized what the issue was. I'm quoting ERVs now.
I was surprised that our house is so air tight seeing as how it's 84 years old. Or maybe the house fan just really moves a lot of air. Judging by the change in wattage on the utility meter it's about 500 watts, seems reasonable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MJP posted:

If you need a general purpose secondary vacuum, the Shark Apex Uplight we got at Bed Bath and Beyond has been one heck of a decent secondary vacuum. It'd make short work of cat litter and the like and do well enough on other things. It's not a canister vac, so if you have tons of carpets, it may not be that great, but it's been wonderful for us. Easy to use, lightweight, quick to get around.

Can we do vacuum chat? I've currently got a Shark I got on Woot a decade ago and it's showing its age as well as not being the most appropriate tool for our current living space.

I've got an unfinished basement with a little workshop, as well as litter boxes, which is why I'm thinking about another powerful rigid vacuum down there. Using my 12 Gallon 5HP model in the basement has been great for the cat litter, but it's too big to keep in the basement, so I'd like to get something smaller but equally powerful down there.

The living space is two stories, a combination of hardwood floors, rugs, and carpets. The stairs in particular are hard wood with a carpet runner. And we've got cats, that track their litter and hair all over the place. So something like that Shark Apex looks promising. Any idea how easy it is to use on stairs? One of the problems with our current Shark is that the brushes only engage when the handle is pulled down from the 90-degree angle, and so it's hard to maneuver it in such a way that I can roll it along the length of a stair while still keeping the "body" of the vacuum at the correct angle to engage the rollers.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

spf3million posted:

I was surprised that our house is so air tight seeing as how it's 84 years old. Or maybe the house fan just really moves a lot of air. Judging by the change in wattage on the utility meter it's about 500 watts, seems reasonable.

Our whole house fan moves an absolute ton of air, those things are not meant to be used without some open windows.

We were also surprised that our 1967 built house is tight enough to backdraft through the chimney if even the dryer and a bathroom fan are both running (not badly, but enough to smell it).

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

FISHMANPET posted:

The living space is two stories, a combination of hardwood floors, rugs, and carpets. The stairs in particular are hard wood with a carpet runner. And we've got cats, that track their litter and hair all over the place. So something like that Shark Apex looks promising. Any idea how easy it is to use on stairs? One of the problems with our current Shark is that the brushes only engage when the handle is pulled down from the 90-degree angle, and so it's hard to maneuver it in such a way that I can roll it along the length of a stair while still keeping the "body" of the vacuum at the correct angle to engage the rollers.

When we got our kittens last summer, we also got a Miele C3 Cat & Dog and it's a loving dream machine. It came with a powered carpet head and a smaller rug/upholstery head that both pull up shed hair extremely well. Also came with a head for hard surfaces, as well the standard mini attachments (brush head etc.), and you can always go buy additional attachments (we bought one for radiators). It has a HEPA filter, so it will suck up and contain dander and odors (seriously, our carpeted rooms suddenly smell noticeably fresher after we vacuum).

One thing about is that it is a canister vacuum and I don't know if you are into those, but I will say that it's highly maneuverable in tight places like under furniture and on stairs. The powered carpet head does not care about angle or anything. The canister is small, easy to carry around, and has good castor wheels so it follows well (and has a wraparound rubber bumper). Oh, and it has a self-retracting cord mechanism that actually works.

Another thing is that it's, uh, quite expensive. You're not a true homeowner until you get really excited about spending nearly a thousand dollars on a vacuum cleaner. It's completely worth it, though, especially after years of using cheapshit $60 vacuums from Target that were crappy enough that I just used a broom more often than not.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

please knock Mom! posted:

As mentioned electric grills are pretty whatever, but people do seem to like electric smokers. You won't get a smoke ring if you care about it, but it's basically an oven that also burns some wood chips, so the power output isn't much of a problem. You could also augment the smoke with a pellet maze/tube. Not sure these actually fit whatever rules places have, but I've heard they do just because "they're electric"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

electric smokers rule (decent ones like the Masterbuilt 30" not the crap ones like the brinkman el cheapo electric). I enjoy using it because I can set a shoulder in there overnight and have pulled pork by dinner the next day. I dont need to worry about keeping a fire up and having an alarm for temps etc. very set and forget, and close enough to charcoal to make it not worth fire tending.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 8, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tater_salad posted:

electric smokers rule (decent ones like the Masterbuilt 30" not the crap ones like the brinkman el cheapo electric). I enjoy using it because I can set a shoulder in there overnight and have pulled pork by dinner the next day. I dont need to worry about keeping a fire up and having an alarm for temps etc. very set and forget, and close enough to charcoal to make it not worth fire tending.

I have one and agree and will go to the mat for them. Electric ovens are known to keep consistent temperature. My recipies are reliable because of that. I don't need much babysitting for it. I've done many overnight pork shoulders and brisket.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

The masterbuilt electric smoker that looks kinda like a mini fridge is an absolute powerhouse. Makes a terrific product every single time, still gives you enough control to do most any meats, and it’s brain dead simple. With 4 racks in there, you can cook an insane amount of meat all at once. Don’t let anyone shame you about the purity of using charcoal instead of electric or whatever - electric smokers are banned in competition because they are too consistently good.

Cannot recommend enough, will make everyone think you’re a BBQ wizard. There’s still some art to it, keeping the right amount of smoke & getting the timing right. But not having to worry about the temp suddenly flaring up to 450 or whatever greatly reduces the chance that you ruin dinner.

I’ve had friends buy the fancier masterbuilt models, and the cheapest one seems to be just fine. The extra bells and whistles (and glass panels) on the other models don’t add anything. If you really want to obsess over meat temps, get a good probe thermometer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The glass panel is funny to me. In an ideal scenario it's full of smoke so there isn't anything to see. In the real world it becomes covered in soot.

And yes I always call it a reverse mini fridge.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hmm interesting. I mostly wanted a balcony grill for small spontaneous gatherings since my place is right in the middle of the city near where everyone works, but a smoker sounds good too. Mainly for me, because I like smoked pork.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
LOL. If your building doesn't allow charcoal or gas grills and you run an electric smoker .... your neighbors will be pissed/jealous that it will smell like smoke all day and that they can't have any delicious smoked meats.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Verman posted:

LOL. If your building doesn't allow charcoal or gas grills and you run an electric smoker .... your neighbors will be pissed/jealous that it will smell like smoke all day and that they can't have any delicious smoked meats.

hahah i was once in this exact scenario in a smaller building. dude stopped by with unprompted peacemeats before i had decided to feel bitchy about it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Verman posted:

My building fire code said no charcola at all and no propane on balcony.. I could however run an electric grill or smoker.. so I did

Protip.. If it's wood baconly I usually stuck some cardboard or a paper bag under it when in use to catch any dripings so my downstairs neighbor didn't have greasy patio furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

My building fire code said no charcola at all and no propane on balcony.. I could however run an electric grill or smoker.. so I did

Protip.. If it's wood baconly I usually stuck some cardboard or a paper bag under it when in use to catch any dripings so my downstairs neighbor didn't have greasy patio furniture.

This was my situation exactly when I first bought the smoker, no one had any complaints. And yes, throwing a tarp under there is a good idea.