Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

I don't think this is it. I remember the color scheme being really gray for the town, and the roads were paved.

drat this game is creepy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I am thinking of PS1 demo disc fighting game, where two selectable characters were woman using ice and man using fire. They fought at large grass covered arena. The camera was isometric and movement in all directions was possible...

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Banemaster posted:

I am thinking of PS1 demo disc fighting game, where two selectable characters were woman using ice and man using fire. They fought at large grass covered arena. The camera was isometric and movement in all directions was possible...
Is it Destrega?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Yes, thank you.

Sheesh, the demo's song must be one deep core memory of mine, as nostalgia came flooding in when I heard it.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Looking for an educational game I played in the late 90s at school.

The main character was a faceless dude with a red cap, bright teal coat and red sneakers. He had some kind of electronic device that could shoot rays. His mission was to defeat the main boss - a Dr Wiley lookalike - by deducting his location inside a TV broadcast station by solving math problems in different rooms to get their codes and figure out which room the boss was hiding behind. I think there was at least one sequel too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Koskinator posted:

Looking for an educational game I played in the late 90s at school.

The main character was a faceless dude with a red cap, bright teal coat and red sneakers. He had some kind of electronic device that could shoot rays. His mission was to defeat the main boss - a Dr Wiley lookalike - by deducting his location inside a TV broadcast station by solving math problems in different rooms to get their codes and figure out which room the boss was hiding behind. I think there was at least one sequel too.

Super Solvers: Outnumbered

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I vaguely just remembered an old game on my school's computers. This would've been late 90s and the object of the game was to go around different rooms and avoiding enemies (who you threw bananas at to distract?) to find car parts to beat the race of that level.

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

Galick posted:

I vaguely just remembered an old game on my school's computers. This would've been late 90s and the object of the game was to go around different rooms and avoiding enemies (who you threw bananas at to distract?) to find car parts to beat the race of that level.

Gizmos & Gadgets?

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Solvers_Gizmos_and_Gadgets_1993

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Holy poo poo that's it, this music takes me back

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
these last few posts have been viral marketing for a reboot of the Super Solvers series

Sleeper354
Mar 24, 2008
There are two different games I've been racking my brain trying to think of the names of I had in the late 90s early 00s for PC.

One was a science learning game involving little blob aliens. To head off the question, it's not zoombinis as far as I remember. The aliens crash into the house of a girl in a wheelchair who helps them traverse the house doing different science style puzzles. In particular, I remember that after building their ship you had to build a Rube Goldberg machine to launch it and one of the perils/threats was the little aliens getting stuck in a pie and using rubber bands of different elasticity to bungee them out.

The other was a mech/robot building game where you then had to give the robot programming it would follow for fighting. While there were some prebuilt robots you could fight, the main gameplay was playing against other people's designs. Specifically, I remember that the mechs would have price/weights listed after building but there wasn't an actual limit except for when you tried to enter the robots into tournaments, where they would put money limits. The game itself was really complex where one player designed bot I remember was a small box looking robot which unfurled into a giant spider with attacking arms that would stab at your starting position if you weren't quick enough.

I've tried searching everything I could but both of these games seem to be hiding behind other more popular games.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ok got another one. This one was a DOS game I played in 1991 or so. It was a very simple platformer where you controlled a spaceman who had to get from the top of the screen to the goal, navigating the platforms along the way. There was no scrolling or anything, you just changed to the next level when you got to the goal. There were aliens in the way that'd kill you if you touched them. Usually you had to jump over them, but you had a limited number of laser shots that you could use to kill a few.

In the last screen, there was a sliding barrel puzzle, where you had to carefully nudge a stack of barrels into making a staircase over a bottomless pit. If you pushed a barrel into a pit you had to suicide to start the screen over.

And that's all I remember, because I was six at the time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Haystack posted:

Ok got another one. This one was a DOS game I played in 1991 or so. It was a very simple platformer where you controlled a spaceman who had to get from the top of the screen to the goal, navigating the platforms along the way. There was no scrolling or anything, you just changed to the next level when you got to the goal. There were aliens in the way that'd kill you if you touched them. Usually you had to jump over them, but you had a limited number of laser shots that you could use to kill a few.

In the last screen, there was a sliding barrel puzzle, where you had to carefully nudge a stack of barrels into making a staircase over a bottomless pit. If you pushed a barrel into a pit you had to suicide to start the screen over.

Monuments of Mars?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Haystack posted:

This sounds to me like H.E.R.O. but that never got a DOS release. How sure are you of that particular aspect of this memory from a 6-year old? Did you maybe have access to a C64, Spectrum, or the like?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
It's not Lode Runner, is it?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm not 100% sure about the system. DOS is my best guess based on some stuff my dad said about it, but I was six so it's definitely a question mark. The most I can recall is that it was a black and amber two bit system, it had the big old style floppies, and that it was a command line operating system.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jetpac maybe?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

As an easy way to check these things, Internet Archive has a ton of old games from a ton of platforms available to play emulated in browser.

https://archive.org/details/MonumentsOfMars

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm looking for an old experimental fighting game (boxing? wrestling? sumo?). It had very bare-bones graphics and its gimmick was turn-based mechanics where you control your fighter by setting the pull on specific muscles.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That is Toribash.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Haystack posted:

there's too many things about this that don't fit but this does sound vaguely reminiscent of the gameboy game cyraid, maybe half remembered through a 6 year old kid's brain?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

That is Toribash.
Thread delivers.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If Haystack's ends up not being Monuments of Mars, I will poo poo. It came out in 1991 and every aspect fits. I watched a playthrough to make sure and it even has the annoying barrel pushing puzzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-Dl5ZXhFE&t=979s

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 8, 2021

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

That's it! Thats the exact game! Thanks! Man, I cannot believe that I beat that game when I was 6. gently caress that last puzzle, it was a total bitch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In middle school shop class we had a few old rear end computers and sometimes instead of making spice racks or whatever the teacher would just let us play games. Monuments of Mars was installed along with Scorched Earth and some DOS Jeopardy game

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Sleeper354 posted:

One was a science learning game involving little blob aliens. To head off the question, it's not zoombinis as far as I remember. The aliens crash into the house of a girl in a wheelchair who helps them traverse the house doing different science style puzzles. In particular, I remember that after building their ship you had to build a Rube Goldberg machine to launch it and one of the perils/threats was the little aliens getting stuck in a pie and using rubber bands of different elasticity to bungee them out.

Is this Big Science Comics by Theatrix? I couldn't find anything on youtube for it but heres some of the similar Bumptz Science Carnival

Sleeper354
Mar 24, 2008

Zathril posted:

Is this Big Science Comics by Theatrix? I couldn't find anything on youtube for it but heres some of the similar Bumptz Science Carnival

This is it. I even recognize some of the experiments from this image. It is wild how it looks like it is almost completely not on the internet at all. I almost thought it was just some kind of weird false memory.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Haystack posted:

That's it! Thats the exact game! Thanks! Man, I cannot believe that I beat that game when I was 6. gently caress that last puzzle, it was a total bitch.

Was one of the first games I played, and I NEVER knew you could move the barrels.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sleeper354 posted:

There are two different games I've been racking my brain trying to think of the names of I had in the late 90s early 00s for PC.

The other was a mech/robot building game where you then had to give the robot programming it would follow for fighting. While there were some prebuilt robots you could fight, the main gameplay was playing against other people's designs. Specifically, I remember that the mechs would have price/weights listed after building but there wasn't an actual limit except for when you tried to enter the robots into tournaments, where they would put money limits. The game itself was really complex where one player designed bot I remember was a small box looking robot which unfurled into a giant spider with attacking arms that would stab at your starting position if you weren't quick enough.

I've tried searching everything I could but both of these games seem to be hiding behind other more popular games.

For the second, the 1989 Origin game Omega sounds close. Man differebce is that it uses tanks instead of robots. Might work as a start point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

eonwe posted:

unfortunately not. those look like hex grid games, whereas this was a square grid.

I'm at my parent's house today so I remembered to go find my old CD-ROM games and take a look. The game I was thinking of was Operation Combat 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVUMVjpxMw

I didn't play the first one, which came out in 1991 if you're looking for similar but older.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

dstyle posted:

Probably one of the first "dating sim" type games ever made, it was an old-timey DOS text adventure from back in the days when Jesus and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Almost like a Leisuresuit Larry game in text adventure form. Your character was a high school guy who was trying to meet a girl and presumably get laid. You could choose to hang out with the "preppy" kids and go play tennis or something, or hang out with the "bad" kids and drink and party at the "rager" as it was referred to in the game. I remember at one point you had the option to buy breath mints from a kid at school, and if you didn't, later on whenever you went to where you were going, the girl you tried to talk to would complain about your bad breath. There was another option at the rager, where you could either play drinking games and get trashed, or play it cool, and if you chose to get drunk you'd end up puking all over the place and ruining your chance at romance.

I think I might have found this one, it's Virtua School.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 14, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cross-posting from the steam thread:

A question for the fine folks in here: what game is this?

I'm watching a random CSI and I think that's a Turok?

Pulled two more screenshots:

e: the episode is Random Acts of Violence, aired in 2003

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cross-posting from the steam thread:

A question for the fine folks in here: what game is this?

I'm watching a random CSI and I think that's a Turok?

Pulled two more screenshots:

e: the episode is Random Acts of Violence, aired in 2003

I don't know, but that also reminds me of an episode of CSI Miami (I *think*), where, in the beginning, some ten year old kid is playing a racing game with headphones on, and someone breaks into the house, goes up behind him and just shoots him in the head. When the CSI people get there, there's a shot of him slumped over his computer desk, a bunch of blood over the computer monitor, and the game is still going. :smith:

I know it's just a dumb tv show, but I've never been cool with graphic violence towards kids, and that stuck with me for a while

:wtc:, CSI?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know it's just a dumb tv show, but I've never been cool with graphic violence towards kids, and that stuck with me for a while

:wtc:, CSI?

I don't watch the show, but I'm the opposite of you. It's a refreshing change for me when a show actually kills a child or a pet, as usually they go to such ridiculous lengths to avoid it happening ("oh, Bingo jumped past the fireball and over the lava, what luck!") that it takes me out of the story. Part of the enjoyment of European productions I find is that they don't shy away from that sort of thing so much in the telling of their stories.

In regards to those screenshots, like was said in the Steam thread the debug info at the top of the screen really screams that it's not a real game. Unless it was a demo alpha release of something? I'm trying to remember when the alphas of Doom were doing the rounds and I think those came out with debug stuff on-screen (as an example - I don't think that's Doom!).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gromit posted:

I don't watch the show, but I'm the opposite of you. It's a refreshing change for me when a show actually kills a child or a pet, as usually they go to such ridiculous lengths to avoid it happening ("oh, Bingo jumped past the fireball and over the lava, what luck!") that it takes me out of the story. Part of the enjoyment of European productions I find is that they don't shy away from that sort of thing so much in the telling of their stories.

In regards to those screenshots, like was said in the Steam thread the debug info at the top of the screen really screams that it's not a real game. Unless it was a demo alpha release of something? I'm trying to remember when the alphas of Doom were doing the rounds and I think those came out with debug stuff on-screen (as an example - I don't think that's Doom!).

But sorry, I'm all for dog miracles, I'll watch a thousand children die without any reaction but if a dog goes I cry for a week.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gromit posted:

I guess I should clarify that it's the graphic depiction that bugs me, not it happening in and of itself. I don't like anyone having plot armour, because there are no stakes. But this kid's brains were splattered all over the place and like... why is it necessary to go that far?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If it's a made-up-for-TV fake game, it really looks like they were trying to imitate Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Medullah posted:

But sorry, I'm all for dog miracles, I'll watch a thousand children die without any reaction but if a dog goes I cry for a week.

check out hitler jr over here ;)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wonder how many people dropped My Hero Academia after Shigaraki's origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

al-azad posted:

I wonder how many people dropped My Hero Academia after Shigaraki's origin.

Probably none, Anime readers have no souls