Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t mean offense by this, I just want to try to learn to get better at taking pictures.

From a technical standpoint (framing, shadows, etc) what do you love about it?

E: I’ve wanted to ask this question a lot but have hesitated because I realize it can sound condescending.

A lot of the time, photos like that are not solely good because of the technical aspects/standpoint but the feel of the photo.
The technical stuff only helps to make the photo shine beyond the feel.
But of course, the feel is the most subjective part about a photo.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

all good stuff on this page so far, especially these two

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

This is my favorite of the bunch, dreamy theater set vibes. I thought it was an interior until I processed the street sign.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Legit thought this was down the street from me and had to go google street view to make sure

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

drat, really nice stuff eggs and Karl. That's a nice set, the flower in particular.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Congrats to all the previous posters in this page, great stuff.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
That rocks

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm slowly teaching myself how to take pictures of things

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I'm slowly teaching myself how to take pictures of things

Could use a dramatic sunset sky replacement

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
ic an play this game too

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

More like ground replacement filter.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

These are great, I like 1 & 3 in particular...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DSCF2716 by King Dugga, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

This page is severely lacking in mountains.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 8, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cacator posted:

They're all nice, but this one really speaks to me.
Where is it?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
More mountains.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

They're all nice, but this one really speaks to me.
Where is it?

Thanks - this is from a hike along the Valley of the Ten Peaks in Alberta, Canada.

Dread Head posted:

More mountains.

Slick

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cacator posted:

Thanks - this is from a hike along the Valley of the Ten Peaks in Alberta, Canada.

We're gonna have to take away your tourist privileges for not shooting moraine lake from the top of the rock pile.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

We're gonna have to take away your tourist privileges for not shooting moraine lake from the top of the rock pile.

I brought two rolls of film and made sure to take my last shot of ektachrome from the rock pile! If only I could find someone to develop it for me...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also here's a mountain I saw this summer. Mountains are nice.

Very much not confident with my B&W conversions so if someone thinks I hosed it up I'd love to hear what I did wrong. There was a lot of slider wiggling so I'm worried I overcooked it and am blind to it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

Very much not confident with my B&W conversions so if someone thinks I hosed it up I'd love to hear what I did wrong. There was a lot of slider wiggling so I'm worried I overcooked it and am blind to it.

I think this looks pretty good. The common mistake is to blow highlights and stuff like that (or crush blacks too much) and in general apply too much contrast.

The highlights on the left mountainside look on the border of being blown out but it's not super distracting - only distracting to me because I'm looking at it wondering if any of it is actually blown out.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

The highlights on the left mountainside look on the border of being blown out but it's not super distracting - only distracting to me because I'm looking at it wondering if any of it is actually blown out.

Caught my eye too. Between that and the patch of trees right below, the photo is weighted heavily to the left. I wonder if that'd be less noticeable in color.

Regarding black levels, I'd say they're lifted a tad too much.

seravid fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 9, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

Was this a colour photo originally?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah, I sweated over that for a bit in LR and there's even a radial filter over it to bring down the highlights. Nothing in the histogram is clipped though. But I couldn't wiggle sliders enough to get it to naturally blend in better.. anything more started to make ugly halos. I could fix it in photoshop but I also kind of wanted to see if anyone else commented on it.

seravid posted:

Caught my eye too. Between that and the patch of trees right below, the photo is weighted heavily to the left. I wonder if that'd be less noticeable in color.

My issue with the color version is it's pretty low contrast. There was smoke haze, the greens were kinda dingy, and the mountains were pretty flat. I didn't feel color brought anything to the table. If you care to form an opinion on your own, here's an unedited export: https://i.imgur.com/3cyJ9cv.jpg

I'll agree it's heavy on the left. Looking at the conversion next to the color maybe I pulled down the darks too much.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Was this a colour photo originally?

Yes it was!

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

xzzy posted:

My issue with the color version is it's pretty low contrast. There was smoke haze, the greens were kinda dingy, and the mountains were pretty flat. I didn't feel color brought anything to the table. If you care to form an opinion on your own, here's an unedited export: https://i.imgur.com/3cyJ9cv.jpg

imo trying to hide the haze is a mistake. other people have pointed out it looks a little crushed. personally i like the subtly shifting tones of the haze. i think it comes of even better in the colour version from the blue wood smoke on muted greens. nice picture in any case

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I sweated over that for a bit in LR and there's even a radial filter over it to bring down the highlights. Nothing in the histogram is clipped though. But I couldn't wiggle sliders enough to get it to naturally blend in better.. anything more started to make ugly halos. I could fix it in photoshop but I also kind of wanted to see if anyone else commented on it.

I'll agree it's heavy on the left. Looking at the conversion next to the color maybe I pulled down the darks too much.

Yes it was!

Tons of stuff work with. Normally hate when people do this, but this is shifting the levels within range and tweaking midpoint + a a tiny amount of color work. Probably even more so if you have the original 16bit version

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

They’re all good but the first one is really fantastic I think.

Cacator posted:

Same here and as others have said the second-to-last is the standout. I think it’s the very distinct foreground, midground, and background, with each looking good and the background especially has some really cool cloud stuff going on that ties it all together there with the round one in the upper left just sitting perfectly between those two peaks.

Also the last one is cool. Looks like the setting for a 70s western.