Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Star Trek: Elite Force and Elite Force 2, among other Star Trek games, have been re-released by Activision (so take it as you will) on GOG to mark both the franchise's 55th anniversary and the 100th birthday of Gene Roddenberry. They're $11 each.

Finally! I've been hoping these would get rereleased at some point. I have a lot of fond memories of EF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Yo the original Call of Duty was loving ground breaking at the time. Nobody had made a historical FPS as cinematic and engrossing as that before. MoH:AA was close but CoD just did it so much better.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

shoeberto posted:

Yo the original Call of Duty was loving ground breaking at the time. Nobody had made a historical FPS as cinematic and engrossing as that before. MoH:AA was close but CoD just did it so much better.

lmao no Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out two years before that and everyone called CoD out for aping it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vic posted:

lmao no Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out two years before that and everyone called CoD out for aping it.

I do not recall this being a common sentiment.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I mean just go read the reviews. It came after MoH, BF1942, RtCW and others. CoD was good but absolutely just tweaking the existing formula.

And I was playing Day of Defeat and WolfMP for four years by the time it came out so nobody in my circle cared by that point. We did play CoD2 tho.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

COD1 was a refinement of MOHAA, it was great

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, didn't realize Project Downfall had a demo. Anyone try it? https://store.steampowered.com/app/992730/Project_Downfall/

Convex posted:

I do not recall this being a common sentiment.
Me neither. The big thing about the first COD is that, even though it wasn't *actually* realistic, it felt like it in comparison to its contemporaries due to the scale of its battles. Most other WW2 games was pretty much you against the world, but in COD, you were just one man among many.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, I definitely don't recall much in the way of comparison between RTCW and COD1 either, there was kind of a glut of WW2 shooters around that time though so maybe the magazines I was reading just compared to other games.

It's a big world out there, though, so I won't say it didn't happen, just that I don't remember seeing it myself.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Vic posted:

What even is this take lol.

This was absolutely not a thing that happened.

*edit*

If anything everyone was praising how CoD1 was a evolution of what the devs had started with MOHAA.

Anyway CoD 1 wasn’t even the transformative CoD. It was seen as a really good WW2 shooter at a time when the market was saturated with them.

The really game changing CoD was Modern Warfare.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 8, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Yeah the standard CoD 1 take was "here's the real sequel to MoH: AA"

People liked RTCW but it bailed on the straight Nazi killing real quick. Kind of its own thing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vic posted:

Uh, what :psyduck:

I remember one of the common praises for CoD in terms of refining the MOH:AA sort of formula was that it had your character participate in larger battles with squadmates, the sense of scale in general seemed larger and more "war-like" if that makes sense

granted, you couldn't control the other guys shooting alongside you, but I recall it being nice to not always feel like a one man army

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i used to read the pc mags back in the day and i don't remember anyone mentioning RTCW when talking about COD, just MOHAA and the fact that a lot of the original MOHAA devs were now with IW

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's really dumb for the new Battlefield they went with just slightly in the future instead of doing a sequel to the GOAT Battlefield.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's really dumb for the new Battlefield they went with just slightly in the future instead of doing a sequel to the GOAT Battlefield.

they already did 1943 :confused:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Battlefield V was complete poo poo though.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

They did Battlefield V and…welp.

To expand, Battlefield V to me felt like they didn’t know what the hell to do with the series and missed the whole point of what made Battlefield 1942-2142 or even Battlefield 3-4-1 fun. The maps were trash, the guns all unbalanced, and vehicles were sparse.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 8, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Where's Battlefield 2143, coward EA?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ok Quantum's was funny (and what I assumed someone would reply with since the 42s are the best Battlefields) but you two are just deranged.

Angry_Ed posted:

Where's Battlefield 2143, coward EA?

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 8, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dunno, the new one seems a sequel to the best BF, Battlefield 3, so ...

:P

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The really game changing CoD was Modern Warfare.

Weird way to spell United Offensive.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I trolled myself when they announced 2042 because my brain just assumed it was going to be future war like 2142. Near future war is boring and usually ends up just being military wankery rather then fun speculation and wacky weapons.

I did have fun with BF3 & 4, but they made me regret thinking Bad Company 2 was dumb for taking out jets.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I trolled myself when they announced 2042 because my brain just assumed it was going to be future war like 2142.

This is what happened to me lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

fucks sake

tbf this is entirely my fault for wishing it was still the 1990s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was elite force 2 any good? I only ever played the first one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

Was elite force 2 any good? I only ever played the first one

i LOVED it back in the day, i'd say it's worth 10 to check it out. it has cool bits between missions where you can wander around and mess with stuff

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, I beat Turok 2 thanks to the cheat menu, because no way was I going back to get all the Primagen keys and figure out where the one objective I missed was. Meeeeeeeeeeeh. I think it's a perfect example of a game that actually has aged poorly, and playing it made me remember "right, this was primarily a N64 game, wasn't it." Its biggest problem was definitely its level design, specifically the fact that almost all the fights happened in narrow corridors against enemies with little capability or space to really maneuver. Its other big problem relates to said enemies. You rarely fight more than three at a time, and they're pretty bullet spongy if you don't headshot them, though that's also less of a thing when you get the bigger guns.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vic posted:

I mean just go read the reviews. It came after MoH, BF1942, RtCW and others. CoD was good but absolutely just tweaking the existing formula.

And I was playing Day of Defeat and WolfMP for four years by the time it came out so nobody in my circle cared by that point. We did play CoD2 tho.

In your circle. CoD1 and UO were huge multiplayer hits. It made a lot of DoD and MoH clans to switch over, ET at the other hand got the attention of the RtCW players.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

lmao if u don't know 2142 is the best battlefield just lmao

also, i'm glad everyone chimed in saying there weren't many people comparing rtcw to the first CoD, because that was also my experience. as somebody who played the poo poo out of MoHAA with my buds, I was very much looking to CoD as the "sequel". and, man, what a loving great game it was.

e: also I never played Titanfall, but i guess i should give it a shot? i gotta admit, i was put off by Apex's ttk, and assumed Titanfall would be the same.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for single player you should definitely play titanfall2, for mp the servers are currently hosed got both of them so I’d avoid

Also since we’re in the retro FPS thread, it’s amazing what respawn did with the source engine for Titanfall 2, it ran amazingly well and it’s a shame not many devs ever used it. I think it’s the only game on PS4 that used source?
Maybe apex does, not sure

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

aw. what's wrong with the servers?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apex runs on the same Source fork as Titanfall

It's modified beyond recognition though, OG Source would catch fire if you tried to run Apex sized maps

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
titanfall 2 was fun as hell though terribly short and they left the most fun gun in the game to the final 15 minutes :argh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Quantum of Phallus posted:

for single player you should definitely play titanfall2, for mp the servers are currently hosed got both of them so I’d avoid

Also since we’re in the retro FPS thread, it’s amazing what respawn did with the source engine for Titanfall 2, it ran amazingly well and it’s a shame not many devs ever used it. I think it’s the only game on PS4 that used source?
Maybe apex does, not sure

Apparently they put out a server update a couple days ago that fixed most of the problems

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought the talk of Titanfall 2 having one of the best single player FPS campaigns in recent memory was probably BS. Then I saw Vince Zampella in NoClip’s Half Life documentary, and it seemed like he knew what he was talking about so I paid $2 for it and had an absolute blast.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

lmao if u don't know 2142 is the best battlefield just lmao

bad company 2 :dukedog:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

Apex runs on the same Source fork as Titanfall

It's modified beyond recognition though, OG Source would catch fire if you tried to run Apex sized maps

I always find it weird going back to source games and the way they handle loading. Like especially hl2 where it’s designed to be a seamless experience but there’s still random load areas in hallways.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I just remembered that Valve tacked a battle royale mode onto CS:GO, with only 18 players and a map like 1/10th the size of the major BRs maps, and it still ran poorly lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's because they're absolutely straining the capabilities of Source to the breaking point in trying to make a CS GO multiplayer map that large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYDaIKIoOkw

It's impressive in its own way, like if someone made a 128 player battle royale with the quake engine or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Good soup! posted:

Uh, what :psyduck:

I remember one of the common praises for CoD in terms of refining the MOH:AA sort of formula was that it had your character participate in larger battles with squadmates, the sense of scale in general seemed larger and more "war-like" if that makes sense

granted, you couldn't control the other guys shooting alongside you, but I recall it being nice to not always feel like a one man army

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I don't really remember any comparison between RTCW and CoD at the time. RTCW also didn't really lean into the cinematics the way the CoD SP did. Like some of the lead-ups to the battles in CoD1 were absolutely butthole-clenching in terms of the tension they set up before you got released from the amphibious landing craft.

MW was definitely the one that made the franchise a huge international phenomenon, but the original CoD was a big leap forward in its own right.